Start by marking “Love Works: Seven Timeless Principles for Effective Leaders” as Want to Read:
Love Works: Seven Timeless Principles for Effective Leaders

Love Works: Seven Timeless Principles for Effective Leaders

Before Joel Manby won the respect of America with his appearance on the CBS reality TV series Undercover Boss, he was a highly successful corporate executive. After the show aired, many of the 18 million viewers wrote to him about the profound impact of his servant leadership. How does a person achieve that level of success without arrogance or pride? In Love Works, Joel ...more
Hardcover, First, 208 pages
Published May 1st 2012 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 2012)

Start your review of Love Works: Seven Timeless Principles for Effective Leaders
Quirky Shauna
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
This is the way I'd like to lead and coach and mentor. Based on strong Christian values though not overly religious.

The BEST lesson for me in this book: Be "truthful: be open to hearing the truth. No matter how you do it, find an accountability partner in your life who will always tell you the truth about yourself."

The second best lesson for me: "DO versus BE in all things: model a lifestyle of leading with love. BE goals are completely within your power to execute. True contentment comes when
Kris
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a first time reader of managerial books, I really enjoyed that this was a simple read with clear messages. My personal life is based on giving as much love as I can to any and everyone that I encounter, so to see this written out so simply and applied to work life really resonated with me. I was concerned, at first, with the Jesus aspects of Manby's message, but as I have said for years, Jesus was great! If you don't believe he's God (I don't) that's neither here nor there, but if you listen ...more
Liz Shaw
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Leading with love is challenging, but the rewards are great for the business and the leader. I saw Manby speak on this at the Toastmasters International convention in 2013 and immediately bought the book. The author freely shares his process in learning to lead with love, mistakes and all. The process is laid out in easy-to-understand sections with great examples. I highly recommend this book to any leader.
Patricia
Aug 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Basically a simple manual for treating employees with respect. Nothing really new, and I don't think the references to Christianity late in the book were necessary.
Robert Guiller
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ccf-book-club
Fantastic book that challenges how we try people that live and work around us each and everyday!
Jesus Prado
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A practical book on how to make Love a foundational part of your work/organizations culture. Everyone who feels like work is a drag or their work environment is too cut throat inside of the organization could learn a lot from the challenges in this book.
Heather
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Wow. This one is worth a re-read. Imagine working in a place where employees donate to charity, the company matches funds, the owners then donate on top of that and it's all to help fellow employees in need. A place where people are treated as trustworthy until proven otherwise. This is the what this book is about- leading with love. It certainly helped me better understand how to work with people.
Doug Sullivan
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Every year a group of students with The Navigators collegiate ministry live and work in Branson at Silver Dollar City, while being trained in their walks with Christ. It is a pleasure to work alongside SDC management in order to provide a stellar work experience to supplement their spiritual training. This wonderful work by Joel highlights why the students have such a great experience each year. SDC provides a great guest experience because of their unusual investment in their workforce.
Jen
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Like most books in this genre, there are things I really liked, and others not so much. I did really enjoy the story about receiving hand written notes, and then sending them - those do make an impact and a lasting, positive impression/memory, so my goal is to do more of that.
Twila Bennett
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
One of the best books on leadership I have ever read. So practical and helpful. One can apply the concepts immediately. Give to your entire team!
Elizabeth
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t work in business professionally, but I can only assume that the author’s philosophy about using love in the workplace would be considered illogical. In business, business matters. But Manby effectively demonstrates how simple, everyday kindnesses and actions, regardless of their setting can have a lasting, tremendous impact, which is good for everyone. His musings are not only inspiring, but backed by research. And the practical suggestions he lists at the end of each section could have ...more
Kristina Gross
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
After having been burnt out on business and leadership books for many years, this was the first one I picked up (well, "listened to") in many years...and I can say that I am more inspired than I have been for years. The connection between HFE's roots of Silver Dollar City in my home state of Missouri and ties to my hometown of today, Atlanta, as well as community leaders and influencers I greatly respect made me feel like I was sitting down having coffee with a wise mentor to get sage career ...more
James Williams
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a respectable guide to basic leadership, providing principles to awaken one's personal legend and to direct effective leadership to others rather than self. It is worth a read, and it will provide benefits to anyone striving to improve upon their leadership prowess.

Dr. James Arthur Williams
Author of From Thug to Scholar
Daniel Wagner
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this book should be on everyone's reading list. The concepts are simple to understand, but something we can all improve on. There are so many books like this that just talk about managing people but literally anyone can benefit for leading with love, and the book points that out.
Becky
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this for a work class, but it was simple and engaging and I believe the principles it contains are sound. I’ve taken away some important points that I will implement in my life at work and home.
Kevin Cullis
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this book 10 STARS, I would.

It is a transformational leadership and management book that should be the first one, after the Bible, that everyone should read starting any new position, career, or change of career.

GET IT AND READ IT!
Tiffany
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manager-books
Wonderful book for new managers!
Shawn Brace
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this for one of my book clubs. It was a simple read that had some pretty good reminders from an organizational perspective.
Rand Hall
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a narrative style leads to a very readable introductory values-based management book. those values being patient, kind, trusting, unselfish, truthful, forgiving,and dedicated leadership.
Chandler Cooper
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent resource for leaders in any setting. These are important attributes to work towards as a leader - there is some incredible stuff in here.
Sabrina
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read to remind us to lead with love and kindness in all aspects of our lives, professionally and personal.
Ron Camblin
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read with lots of helpful insights on leadership and strengthening ones team!
Lori Wiste
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A different kind of leadership book. I highly recommend this for anyone who wishes to change their organization and the world by leading with love.
Halimaton Mohamad
Love is a verb. Treating someone with love even if you dont feel that way. Love is important in anything we do. Treat others with respect
Adam Nelson
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Joel espouses excellent principles here that can apply to work as well as life. It's love in action. It is most definitely grace-based, as he demonstrates when he relates the story of the young man at Stone Mountain he rehired after he asked for forgiveness for the offense for which he was fired. It's a love that sometimes has to be stern with people, but you are stern with them not to get the results you demand but to get them to perform at their hightest capacity in the areas where they are ...more
Jason Green
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, leadership
Leading with love in a corporate setting? Isn't that squishy, emotional stuff for personal relationships? Well, yes and no. Joel Manby isn't talking about love as a feeling that we have for one another. He is talking about love as an action.

Joel explains that there are four types of love:
• Eros – think teenage, puppy love. It is fleeting and fickle. It is the weakest of the four types.
• Philos – Think “brotherly” love. These are friends that we may keep for years. But those friendships sometimes
Wendy
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of hearing Joel speak at the Orange Conference this year and was immediately taken with his passion for this idea that love is part of his leadership of others. I couldn't wait to read his book and hear more about it.

In this book he shares what that looks like for him and how it can be applied for everyone. It began for him with a feeling of wanting more than the status quo in business. He longed to combine the person he was at work with the person he was outside of work.

He
Sajjad A. Mohammadi
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very good book with an easy flow that talks about the most important traits a successful leader should possess, including patience, kindness, forgiveness, and a few more. First thing I must say is that the “love” in the title of the book has nothing to do with the platonic or even erotic “affections” we all know about, so it is not another cliché that may come to mind at first.
What makes the book flow smoothly is that unlike psychology books, it doesn’t try to elaborate on the concept and
IrenesBookReviews
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So what makes a business successful? Is it the boss or the workers? Is it how they work together or how well they stay away from each other? This book shows how the author, Joel Manby, uses certain Biblical principles to run his corporation and keep it successful.

I found the ideas in this book interesting and found the authors’ approach to leadership a much-needed approach in today’s business atmosphere. The book itself is very easy to understand and follow. This is a great book for anyone in a
Jeremy Schoolfield
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a book for employees and employers at every level of the workplace. Being a leader doesn't mean you have to be THE leader of a company or organization, and Manby clearly and engagingly lays out how to do so with love—love the verb, not love the emotion. And yet, this book is even more … it boils down to what it means to simply treat other people with love, respect, and dignity, no matter the environment you're in. Manby, who I've gotten to know a tiny bit, does this all through ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization
  • Gung Ho!
  • Ace the IT Job Interview
  • It's the Way You Say It: Becoming Articulate, Well-Spoken, and Clear
  • Speaking Up: Surviving Executive Presentations
  • Unconscious Scoring: Dave Stockton's Guide to Saving Shots Around the Green
  • Golf: The Secret to Breaking 90: Basic Tips and Tricks to Lower Your Score and Improve Your Game! (Golf Instruction, Golf Books, Golf For Beginners & Golf Techniques)
  • Every Shot Counts: Using the Revolutionary Strokes Gained Approach to Improve Your Golf Performance  and Strategy
  • Mind Maps for Business: Using the Ultimate Thinking Tool to Revolutionise How You Work
  • Confessions of a Public Speaker
  • Unconscious Putting: Dave Stockton's Guide to Unlocking Your Signature Stroke
  • 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing: Proven Professional Techniques for Writing Ith Style and Power
  • Golf: Golf Clubs Explained, The Ultimate Guide
  • 125 Common Golf Mistakes: And Their Solutions
  • The Rule-Free Golf Swing: Improve your game with four simple pictures
  • Love Thy Body: Answering Hard Questions about Life and Sexuality
  • Girl, Taken: A True Story of Abduction, Captivity and Survival
  • Unexplained Mysteries Of The World: A Non-Fiction Collection About True Hauntings, Lost Civilizations, Alien Contact & Other Paranormal Enigmas
“To be truly effective, praise must be legitimate and pointed. Will everyone have good reason to believe this praise is true? What exactly is the praise for? In other words, I can walk around town with a megaphone, praising my employees at the top of my lungs, but if what I say isn’t believable and specific, it won’t have the effect I want.” 0 likes
“We’re never so vulnerable than when we trust someone — but paradoxically, if we cannot trust, neither can we find love or joy. Walter Anderson” 0 likes