Start by marking “The Abominables” as Want to Read:
The Abominables

The Abominables

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  728 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
A hundred years ago, in the Himalayan peaks of Nanvi Dar, the daughter of an English earl is kidnapped by a huge hairy monster. In a secret valley Agatha Farlingham is introduced to a family of motherless yetis and devotes her life to their upbringing. She teaches them to speak, tells them stories and insists on polite manners. But as the decades pass, tourists come to the ...more
Published July 5th 2012 by Marion Lloyd Books (first published May 7th 2012)

Linda
Listened to this audiobook with the kids in the car on the way to school. Lesson learned from this particular book - choose much shorter books! The kids lost interest in this around the halfway point, although they started off quite interested. I think 2 to 3 hours for the car is the maximum for audio in the car since we only have 20 minutes each day.
Josie
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Eva Ibbotson's novels always make my heart sing. No matter what they're about, there's always some indefinable quality of loveliness -- hope and friendship and courage and integrity and beauty. Yes, okay, the bit where (view spoiler) is kind of silly, but I guess it's no less silly than a yeti plaiting the hair on its stomach in order to look pretty.

I was determined not to cry when I read this, even if it was the last book Eva Ibbotson ever wrote. But then
Kaethe
There really are yetis, and they need to be saved, because people are encroaching into their territory. So, of course, two clever and resourceful children find a way to save them.

If you liked Dial-a-Ghost, then you'll probably like this, too. It shares not only the broad storyline, but that contemporary-yet-somehow-Edwardian feel. I love that: when the kids in the story seem to have few impositions on their time, no team sports, or lessons, just plenty of time to come up with both problems and s
Ionia
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really don't think there is any way to read this book and not fall completely in love with it. From the very first page my children and I were already laughing and loving the girl who becomes a surrogate yeti mum.

This story is so creative. The reasoning the author gives behind why we can't ever track down a yeti is hilarious. For the children, the favourite character here was Hubert the Yak. I can't say as I blame them any, but personally, I loved Ambrose. These are the type of characters tha
Pamela
It pains me to say that I did not enjoy this. So much so that I didn't even finish it. I can only review what I've read, but even that makes me rather sad.

Whenever I find out that a book has been published posthumously, I feel rather sad. Unless the manuscript was completely prepped and ready to go with a bow on top, what you are reading is not the purest vision of the author. It's probably been filled in here and there by somebody else.

Huh, I just started thinking about that Nickelodeon show Gh
Raina
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, j
Sasquatches are so cool.
This is a quirky take on the Bigfoot/AbominableSnowpeople/Yeti/Sasquatch stories, with a very British sensibility.

In this case, the Abominables are adorable and guileless and sweet and totally harmless when you get to know them. But human hunters are cruel and terrible and just want to hurt them! So, it's up to a small band of humans to rescue the sweet creatures.

Read it in less than a day (on vacation) and took it out to local elementary schools for the SRP. Bigfoots
Cheshire Public Library
The Abominables by Eva Ibbotson is a children’s chapter book. This is a previously unpublished work from a well known author, following a family of yetis who are forced to leave their home in the Himalayas and make their way across Europe to a possible new home. Siblings Con and Ellen shepherd the yetis along their eventful journey, with the help of Perry, a good-natured truck driver. Through a mountain rescue in the Alps and a bullfight in Spain, the yetis at last find their way to an ancestral ...more
Liviania
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eva Ibbotson was one of my favorite authors as I child. I first discovered her through a reprint of WHICH WITCH? and quickly devoured all of her other books currently in print. She was like a gentler Roald Dahl, imaginative and funny. She played with the elements of traditional fantasy in a way that made them her own.

Now, a posthumous novel THE ABOMINABLES is being released with artwork by Fiona Robinson. Robinson's illustrations are a great match for Ibbotson's words and really express the good
Ava Gail
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Absolutely delightful little book with surprisingly deep and poignant themes, in the vein of Roald Dahl (albeit without the adulty undercurrent of snark and cynicism present in many of his works). Eva Ibbotson was an extraordinary lady and very lamentably underrated author of children's fiction. I am so pleased that this final work of hers was able to be completed (by Ibbotson's son, who does a beautiful job of capturing his late mother's literary voice and keeping to the spirit of her storytell
Ms. Dana
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
Loved it! Ibbotson still remains one of my favorite authors and this book, though published posthumously, had all the charm and wit of her other novels. I also loved the topic of being kind to all creatures and that hunting for sport is quite disgusting. I wish I had a yeti friend or maybe just a simple-minded yak.
Emily
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middlegradebooks
So random, and yet it works. Adorable yetis with a weird, clumsy goat pet, an around-the-world adventure, an evil secret hunting club, and kids saving the day.
Emily
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elementary
Started awesomely strong, I lost enthusiasm.
Valerie McEnroe
I have yet to read a book by Eva Ibbotson that I enjoy. Is it me? It must be me. This book started out great. The narration was fun and quirky. The premise was totally implausible, but I was taken with Agatha and her band of Yetis right from the start.

Agatha, while vacationing in the Himalayas, is kidnapped by a yeti. Instead of freaking out, like I would do, she falls in love with the yeti's children and decides to stay and be their mother. This part of the story is heaven for me. Cute. Fun. E
Sherry Mackay
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Eva ibbotson. I love the humanity and care in her books. And such great messages for the intended audience of young people. Good always triumphs over evil in her books, and who doesn't love that?! A rollicking tale with heroic children as the main characters. And of course very personable and magical Yetis as the stars. I read her books over and over as they are so rewarding and comforting.

junia
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet, lovely fun book! I love the quippy non-stop American dialogue and tongue-in-cheek wit. Similar to the BFG in some ways and in some ways, older art mirrors current events in that this story written decades ago highlights the power of youth solidarity (seen in life now).

If you were afraid of yetis, read this and be comforted.

Terrence
I really enjoyed reading this very entertaining book to my 10 year old son. The is very engaging, and keeps the reader wanting to know what happens to a family of yetis who leave their mountain home in Tibet, to travel to Britain. My son sat still and listened to the story as I read it to him, which can be challenging.
Az
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first time read her novel and I just love it. I love children book so much! Simple yet touching. Definitely wants to read this again with my children :p haha except the part of Barbaric Sultan, bc I am muslim, I offended by her thoughts about "Sultan" she mentioned in 2 different part about Sultan, and two of them aren't describes good and yeah of course it can't be generalized.
Jill Cd
3.5- cute, funny, and it has Yeti’s. A good book for 3rd grade and up.
Gary
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun-reads
Fun, but a tad preachy. Kids liked it just okay.

Liked it.
The Book Girl (Andrea)
pretty cute. Review to come.
Rong Huang
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the book as my son couldn’t stop praising the book. He told me many details while giggling. Yes, I love it as well! Three Ibbotson’s books were bought to share with my son!
SavagePugPlayz
Me didn’t like it that much
Jenny Wheelbarrow
Librarian suggested this author for my little man. While it did not hold his attention, I enjoyed reading it. A group of yetis steal a young girl to have a mother for their young. The girl becomes a woman and as she ages she is concerned for her "kids". When a young boy stumbles into their secluded mountain home she seizes the opportunity to have him move the yetis to her childhood home. When they arrive in England her home and its grounds are the meeting place for a group of hunters that now wa ...more
TheBookbubble
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A young English Lady is captured by a Yeti to help bring up his children. What a fantastical, Dhalesque idea for a book. I was intrigued and just had to read it. And what a fantastical world Eva Ibbotson created.

This beautiful story introduces us to a very different family, a family of yetis. Each has their own personality and traits and each has a big heart. Lady Agatha Farlingham is brought into their lives and brings them up in the best traditions of English children. But yeti’s live for a lo
Gail Gauthier
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I am not a fan of didactic novels, books with an agenda to teach vs. books that require readers to, oh, I don't know. Become one with the story, or something. Experience the story. I've probably mentioned this bias of mine here before.

But I've had to rethink the whole "didactic is bad" thing because of an essay I read at The Horn Book site. In The Campaign for Shiny Futures, Farah Mendlesohn has all kinds of fascinating things to say about YA science fiction. She describes Ender's Game as "the
Alice
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meet the yeti family from the Himalayas of Tibet. Father, their strong, proud leader who is over three hundred years old; Uncle Otto, a shy, book lover who is self-conscious about going bald; Grandma, who grumbles about everything but loves to sing and yodel (be sure to cover your ears!), and the three children: Lucy, Clarence, and Ambrose. Lucy is a very large yeti who likes to eat, a lot, and occasionally sleep walks herself into dangerous situations. Clarence’s brain doesn’t work so well, eve ...more
Jan
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was saddened to hear that Eva Ibbotson passed away in 2010. I've enjoyed many of her middle grade novels, especially The Secret of Platform 13, Island of the Aunts, and Journey to the River Sea. The Abominables was her final book, published posthumously after her death.

Like Island of the Aunts that had selkies, a boobrie, and mermaids, this book also has magical creatures, in this case, yetis. While on a trip to the Himalayas with her father, young Lady Agatha Farlingham is abducted one night
Megan
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, i-reviewed, ya
It's kind of uncanny that this was Eva Ibbotson's last book. It features a very old woman to tells stories to yetis, and the yetis have to leave her and she dies. But at the end a new girl, who looks very much like the very old woman, comes into their lives to tell them stories and take care of them like the very old woman did.

Maybe I'm being sappy, or maybe this was Eva Ibbotson saying goodbye, and not to worry because there will be others after her. Maybe I'm just a doofus.
Robin
Yetis! One last gem from Eva Ibbotson. Father Yeti takes a young British lady from her tent to look after his 3 young yetis. Lady Agatha brings them up in proper English fashion, and over the years an old yeti - "Grandma" and another yeti "Uncle Otto" also join the family. Now, 100 years later, tourists are coming ever closer to the Yeti's secret refuge and Lady Agatha decides it is best for their safety to send them back to her ancestral estate in England. Con & Ellen's father runs a hotel ...more
Andreww
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful story, following a cleverly designed arc taking us on, what turns out to be, quite a traditional fairy tale journey there and back again. Immediately two of the great Thou Shall Nots of fiction for children are totally ignored and we don't mind at all. Firstly, this is very much tell not show, second, we've got talking mystical creatures, both definite no-no's if you read advice about writing for children. But Ibbotsen is a master and this rule-breaking works very well when y ...more
February - Science Fiction/Fantasy 1 3 Mar 20, 2014 05:45PM
  • Goblins
  • The Quirks: Welcome to Normal
  • Emma and the Blue Genie
  • The Fantastic Family Whipple
  • The Path of Names
  • Zombie Baseball Beatdown
  • The Adventures of a South Pole Pig: A Novel of Snow and Courage
  • The Show Must Go On! (Three-Ring Rascals, #1)
  • Remarkable
  • Harriet the Invincible (Hamster Princess, #1)
  • What We Found in the Sofa and How it Saved the World
  • The Creature Department
  • The Ever Breath
  • Toys Come Home: Being the Early Experiences of an Intelligent Stingray, a Brave Buffalo, and a Brand-New Someone Called Plastic (Toys, #3)
  • The Tell-Tale Start
  • The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher (Family Fletcher, #1)
  • Operation Bunny (Wings & Co, #1)
  • Mr. and Mrs. Bunny—Detectives Extraordinaire! (The Bunny's #1)
Eva Ibbotson (born Maria Charlotte Michelle Wiesner) was a British novelist specializing in romance and children's fantasy.

She was born in Vienna, Austria, in 1925. When Hitler came into power, her family moved to England. She attended Bedford College, graduating in 1945; Cambridge University from 1946-47; and the University of Durham, from which she graduated with a diploma in education in 1965.
More about Eva Ibbotson

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Red Mars (Mars Trilogy, #1)
  • The Gods Themselves
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49