Start by marking “The Witch of Duva (Grishaverse, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Witch of Duva (Grishaverse, #0.5)

The Witch of Duva

(Grishaverse #0.5)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  11,560 ratings  ·  1,567 reviews
There was a time when the woods near Duva ate girls…or so the story goes. But it's just possible that the danger may be a little bit closer to home. This story is a companion folk tale to Leigh Bardugo's debut novel, Shadow and Bone.

At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied.
Published June 5th 2012 by Tor

To ask other readers questions about The Witch of Duva, please sign up.
Cameron Cassidy No. I don't think so at least. Maybe at least if you read the 1st book to get some background on the world but other than that there aren't any spoile…moreNo. I don't think so at least. Maybe at least if you read the 1st book to get some background on the world but other than that there aren't any spoilers or anything you wont understand considering its a prequel.(less)

·  11,560 ratings  ·  1,567 reviews

Start your review of The Witch of Duva (Grishaverse, #0.5)
Anne

description

Ahhhhhhhh! This was fantastic, well written, and so fucking creepy!
AND THAT TWIST AT THE END!

So, Nadya lives in Duva, and...

description

Yeah, no. Anything I say is going to ruin it, trust me.
This is a short story by Leigh Bardugo, and set in the Grisha world.
However, this is also works as a stand alone novella, and is (I think) an excellent introduction to this writer.
Bonus: : It's Free Here!

Huge thanks to Auntie J, Jess, Miriam, & Cathryn for pushing
~Poppy~
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Now you know what monsters once lurked in the woods near Duva, and if you ever meet a bear with a golden collar, you will be able to greet him by name. So shut the window tight and make sure the latch is fastened. Dark things have a way of slipping in through narrow spaces."

It was a great short story! I really enjoyed it! What a twist at the end..Wow..I did not see that coming!

(view spoiler)["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["b
Cristina Monica
THAT TWIST. (There were many actually, but THAT twist!—was a poignant one.)

description

I don’t usually read short stories (or novellas) because they tend to feel underdeveloped and don’t give that kind of satisfaction after finishing them, since I always feel like there was something missing or could have been better but was not. I have an exception in mind though, besides this one: Gilded Ashes, which is a fairy tale retelling as well.

This…was captivating. I thought I wasn’t going to be surprised because
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
“The Witch of Duva” is one of my all-time favorite creepy stories, a short story by Leigh Bardugo that's an online freebie as well. Review first posted at www.fantasyliterature.com:
There was a time when the woods near Duva ate girls. . . .
“The Witch of Duva” is a dark Russian-flavored fairy tale with echoes of Hansel and Gretel and a serial killer twist… or is it wolves? Nadya and her brother Havel are the children of Maxim Grushov, a carpenter and woodcutter. They live in a village on the edge
karen
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
okay, tor shorts, i officially love you again. i am seriously smitten with this leigh bardugo, and as soon as my reading time becomes my own again, i am ON her series like crazy. these free stories were both great, but they are just little teases, little whooshes of "yeah, i'm doing what plenty of other people have done, i just happen to be doing it better, and without breaking a sweat."

i liked this one slightly less than The Too-Clever Fox, but it's still phenomenal. she is very very good at wr
Sana
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
3 1/2 ☆'s

Woah this was some twisted dark shit. A great retelling of Hansel and Gretel. I did not see that plot twist coming. I'm starting to really like Leigh Bardugo's writing. And...ITS FREE. You can read it here.
P
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
“There was a time when the woods near Duva ate girls”

The Witch of Duva surprised me. I thought this book would be bloody and creepy but I was wrong. I liked THAT TWIST. Wow ! It's unbelievable that Leigh Bardugo could manage to tell a shocking story in just 40 pages. Stunning. She's so talanted. I fell in love with the Grisha world since the first time I read her book.

However, there's something left unsaid and unexplained. I mean it's awesome to leave things out for the mysterious vibe like
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014, witches
I love folk tales. They slip up on you and turn you in a circle. You think you might have that little story all figured out? Think again.

Elena Salvatore
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ok this story is pretty creepy and the twist at the ending... DID NOT SEE THAT COMMING!

I went through a few stages with this:
- At first I thought it would be the story about the human eating trees Tamar was telling us about in Ruin and Rising,
- Then I thought that Karina is the witch,
- And lastly I thought it would all go on like Hansel and Gretel.

Which of these hypothesess was correct?
Well read it yourself and find out. ;)
Wren (fablesandwren)
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WrensReads Review:

"Sometimes she felt her curiosity clawing at her like a different kind of hunger"

Now this was creepy. It was fun and creepy. And still just like Grimm Fairytale. I have a feeling she was aiming for that feel with some of these novellas.

Nadya's mother died. And her father is marrying a monster. Little girls are disappearing. Nadya is being threatened. But she can't leave her father... she can't.

Andreea Pop
Such a great short story! If there's anyone that can fit amazing world building, an intriguing plotline and nuanced characters in a matter of pages, then it's Bardugo. It was spooky, witchlike and surprising.

Oh, how I love the Grishaverse.
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
There was a time when the woods near Duva ate girls.

Right from the first line Ms Bardugo had me.

This is a creepy, twisty, fairy tale and I didn't guess once which direction the story was heading! I couldn't tear myself away from my computer screen until I had finished my read.

I regret not reading Bardugo when she had other complete short stories on Tor.

Get it while you can!
Toni
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
“There was a time when the woods near Duva ate girls.”

I expected a twist yet never saw that coming.
Beth
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Turns out my kindle likes to lie to me about how far I'm into something...

It was a good little story, the ending was a bit of a shock, but still quite enjoyable :)
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)
Omg this was too creepy ...AN EXCELLENT HORROR HISTORY

“So shut the window tight and make sure the latch is fastened. Dark things have a way of slipping in through narrow spaces.”

description

I can't believe it ... speechless

Definitely you have to reading it ... AMAZING!
Sophia Triad
“Be back before dark....The trees are hungry tonight.”

Young girls disappear in the woods near Duva. This is a Ravkan Folk Tale. Very dark, spooky with an interesting twist in the end.
Sometimes the predator is closer than we think and sometimes we may misjudge people and people's behaviour.

The story takes place in The Shadow and Bone universe, but it is a standalone. It has elements from the Hancel and Gretel fairytale. And an ending that it maybe be a trigger for some readers.
If you love scary
Dannii Elle
In just 50 pages Bardugo has managed to completely enthral and enchant me, before delivering one of the most unexpected plot twists I have ever read!
Rose
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Apparently LB can write creepy too.

This is why she's one of my favorites. I swear I was creeped out and intrigued and THE TWISTS OMG.

Definitely gonna read her other short stories.
Radmila
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, that was creepy!

Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
Dark things have a way of slipping in through narrow spaces.

WoD

When I finish this story I gave it four stars. I’m a big critic of these short-stories than authors add in between books of a series. Mostly I feel they are lacking; and it’s more of a teaser than actual useful information.
While the The Witch of Duva isn’t that useful and doesn’t really add anything to the original series; my mind was blown away by it. And as time progressed and my mind kept returning to this dark and haunting tale, I
Swaroop
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the Grisha world...

There was a time when the woods near Duva ate girls…

... and that's it, it was time to jump right into the lands of Grishaverse and explore the great nation of Ravka.

The Witch of Duva is an amazing read. It did feel disappointing towards the end, that it all ended so quickly, but this was a beautiful and short read. However, the good news is, there is a lot to explore...

Who knows, I may end up immigrating to this wonderful world of Leigh Bardugo ::

Shall we have so
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 3.5

The Grisha is one of those series that I’ve been wanting to read for ages so when I found out about this short story I thought it would be a nice introduction to Bardugo’s writing. Some reviewers seem to think it’s better to read Shadow and Bone (the first instalment in the series) first but I didn’t and I loved The Witch of Duva all the same.

It really is a great little tale. Well-written, very well-structured, and the world building is pretty amazing considering this is a shor
Lyn
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Leigh Bardugo’s 2012 short work The Witch of Duva is a mesmerizing and well written prequel to her Shadow and Bone / The Grisha novels and stories.

Told as a Russian or Slavic folk tale, and set in the eastern European forests, this has the tone and style of a fable.

Nadya’s mother has died and her woodworker father has very quickly re-wed to Karina, a stern woman Nadya believes to be a witch. More concerning is a recent trend of disappearances in theirs and neighboring villages of young girls.

Tol
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
Dark things have a way of slipping in through narrow spaces.

I'm normally very hesitant to read books in a series that end in a decimal. This is because the #0.5s, the #1.5s, and (god help me) the #1.75s almost always seem to be either a transparent moneymaking ploy on the author's part or a lame spinoff of the same story but with the names changed. A notable exception is Warm Up (Vicious, #0.5) because Vicious was just as good as the short story that preceded it and V.E. Schwab is a brilliant
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ

Wow! The Witch of Duva was a pleasant surprise. I really loved this novella. It was so dark and really freaking creepy. CREEPY I tell you! That twist at the end seriously blindsided me like for reals I did not see that coming! It was shocking and I just really enjoyed this read. I wish it was much longer. This story was even a bit sick and twisted which I love. It was haunt
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW

This must be witchcraft because holy smokes it was fantastic! In few pages I was both mesmerized and creeped out.

This felt a lot like something Brothers Grimm would write : dark, delicious and traumatizing.
And I LOVED it.

This really has nothing to do with Grisha (now Shadow and Bone) trilogy. So even if you haven't read anything by Leigh read this. Give yourself a treat. A dark, very creepy treat.

My WEBSITE
My INSTAGRAM
My WORDPRESS BLOG
Len Evans Jr
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leigh-bardugo, owned
Wow... just wow... this story definitely shows just how talented Ms. Bardugo is. She totally wove a spell around me, gave me chills and left me feeling creepy. The moral of this story is never assume you know what is really going on, because it's more than likely the last thing you might suspect!
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
This was creepily F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C. The last couple of paragraphs gave me goosebumps. For realsies :)
Phoenix2
Feb 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: short book fantasy grisha
Shelves: fantasy, short-reads
The story didn't really present any Grisha, so for someone who hadn't read any of the books dealing with the Grishaverse, you can go ahead and try it out, as you would be able to keep up. The story had a major twist in the end which I did not really predict to be honest. The story was spooky, gross, disturbing, dark and magical. The writing was good and the main character pretty compelling. So, overall, it was a good short story.
Ida
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
There was a time when the woods near Duva ate girls.

.. That final twist. Brilliant.

“Be back before dark,” they whisper. “The trees are hungry tonight.”

• Among the Thorns
  • Dragon Planet (The Zero Chronicles #2)
  • The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • The Witchcraft of Salem Village
  • Brimstone and Marmalade
  • Cosmic Crust
  • Cinderella and Other Stories (BBC Audio)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Fade to Black
  • Ballroom Blitz
  • Red as Blood and White as Bone
  • A Cup of Salt Tears
  • Rivals 2! More Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals, #2)
  • Burning Girls
  • The Hanging Game
  • The Tales of Beedle the Bard Audible Audiobook
  • The Plague
  • Heartstopper: Become Human
Leigh Bardugo is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of fantasy novels and the creator of the Grishaverse (coming soon to Netflix) which spans the Shadow and Bone Trilogy, the Six of Crows Duology, The Language of Thorns, and King of Scars— with more to come. Her short stories can be found in multiple anthologies, including the Best American Science Fiction & Fantasy. Her other works include Wo ...more

Grishaverse (8 books)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
  • King of Scars (Nikolai Duology, #1)
  • Untitled (Nikolai Duology, #2)
  • Untitled (Six of Crows, #3)