Start by marking “A Woman Entangled (Blackshear Family, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Woman Entangled (Blackshear Family, #3)

A Woman Entangled

(Blackshear Family #3)

An ambitious beauty seeking a spot among the elite is thwarted by a most disruptive gentleman in Cecilia Grant’s witty, elegant, and exquisitely sensual novel.

Kate Westbrook has dreams far bigger than romance. Love won’t get her into London’s most consequential parties, nor prevent her sisters from being snubbed and looked down upon—all because their besotted father unad
Mass Market Paperback, 324 pages
Published June 25th 2013 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about A Woman Entangled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Woman Entangled

Start your review of A Woman Entangled (Blackshear Family, #3)
Jill

Kate Westbrook is a young woman of grand ambition. Her father has been cut off from his family connections since scandalously marrying an actress. Having tried over the years to finagle her way into the good graces of her father's family, she delights in at last receiving an invitation from her aunt, Lady Harringdon whom Kate believes may want to arrange a match for her.

Nicholas Blackshear, a London barrister was initially rebuffed by Kate three years ago. Though he has remained friends
Lady Wesley
10 March 2013
Not surprisingly -- superb. Rather different from the first two books.

Review to come closer to the June 25 pub date.

Thanks to edelweiss.com and Bantam for this digital ARC.

19 May 2013
Let this be a lesson to me. I read the ARC of this book in March but didn't write a review, as it's not coming out until June 25. Two months -- and many intervening books -- later, I can't remember all the reasons I liked it so much.

The silver lining, however, is that I've looked at several very negati
Caz
I've given this an A- rating at AAR, which I suppose = 4.5 stars.

This latest installment in Cecilia Grant’s Blackshear series is as different from the two titles that preceded it (A Lady Awakened and A Gentleman Undone) as those two books are different from each other, but is every bit as good.

Nicholas is the middle Blackshear brother and has been making his living as a barrister in London. But owing to his brother Will’s marriage to a woman of poor reputation (as told in A Gentleman Undone), N
Ashley
Please ignore the overgrown beefsteak on the cover of this book. I cannot imagine a worse dude to put on the cover to represent this lovely story. Okay, well, that's a lie. I can imagine worse. But still! It is not representative! That is a LARGE MAN WITH UNREALISTICALLY LARGE MUSCLES. The hero of this book is a normal man with a more lean physique and probably very pale, because he is English in the 1800s and where is the sun? And also he is a bookish barrister who regularly turns down social e ...more
Sam (AMNReader)
So, I don't have much energy for a review, but saw that there were all kinds of them from friends, so I'll leave it at that unless I get inspired.
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
3.5 Stars…Exquisite Prose, Appealing Characters, and Humdrum Plot

An exquisitely beautiful young woman and unacknowledged granddaughter of an earl – provoked by her family’s poor treatment within noble society – is willing to forsake love to marry an aristocrat. Kate Westbrook sets aside romantic notions for practical purposes. Now, her goal is within sight. Unfortunately, a family friend’s meddling may disrupt her plans.

A few years ago, Nick Blackshear lost his head the first time he saw Kate.
willaful
Grant is known for her challenging heroines and here she stacks the deck against Kate by making her -- gasp! -- the anti-Elizabeth. Like her favorite literary heroine, Kate is often mortified by "a family that did not know the meaning of discretion." However, she has no intention of following in Elizabeth's footsteps:

"If Mr. Darcy, for example, had come to her with that first grudging proposal openly acknowledging his abhorrence at so lowering herself, she would have swallowed her pride long eno
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
This is the final book in Cecilia Grant’s Blackshear Family series and it has everything that made the other books in this series so outstanding – a unique writing style, a thought-provoking storyline and seriously flawed and interesting characters

Like Ms. Grant’s heroines in the previous books, Kate is difficult to like at first. She gives the appearance of being a superficial, selfish social climber who is willing to use her beauty to ensnare a wealthy, titled gentleman into marrying her.
MRB
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Other reviewers have dome such a great job of summing up this book's assets and potential drawbacks that I'll keep this mercifully brief!

What you might love:

1) The biggest pro is the prose. ;) Seriously, Grant is among the most sublimely gifted writers you'll come across in this genre. Perhaps in ANY genre. The book is bursting with wit and insight, but if you're anything like me, you'll be enchanted not just by what the author is saying, but the way she's choosing to say it. I can't stress eno
Ruth
I know it's possibly sacrilege, but for me this book, provided by netgalley, was the "Pride and Prejudice" I've always wanted to read, but never found in the original. It's beautifully written, but speaks to my contemporary mind in a way Austen's original has never been able to. The original is too flippant, steers clear of any agonizingly painful emotions and assumes that scandal is the worse thing that can ever happen to a woman, because that's what society tells you. Well, this one really loo ...more
OLT
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a romance to savor. I'd give it 6 stars if I could. Cecilia Grant has written a romance as close to perfect as any I've ever read. Excellent plot, fully-fleshed-out, complex, complicated, flawed characters, with writing as good as it gets. OK, I'm gushing, but this book is gush-worthy, IMO. It's romance just the way I like it.

One thing I particularly enjoy about Grant's HRs is their realism. No fairy tale with a handsome duke carrying off the beautiful princess to live HEA in his mansion
Ivy Deluca
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historicals
description
Quick(ish) Review (ok, this is a lie but go with it)
The Reducing my TBR Mountain to Rubble Quest of 2020 continues. And I’m digging the randomness of my selections (using a random number generator to pick the books) because I’m such a mood reader that I can easily get stuck in a rut and then wonder why I’m uninspired.
description
Anyhoodle, this book is a new to me author (whose books must’ve been recommended to me once upon a time and got lost on the Mountain) and I like her writing style.

Kate and Nick, t
Maria Rose
Listening to this as an audiobook was purely delightful! The narrator Susan Erickson did an excellent job with the male and female characters and the story is so well written and enjoyable. Kate and Nick have very legitimate reasons for wanting to stay clear of a relationship beyond friendship but feelings don't always follow sense. A bit of heartbreak, some seriously sexy scenes and a delightful friends to lovers romance.
Melissa
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I hope Cecilia Grant is working on a new book these days, because I'm terribly sad to have finished the last of her three published novels, and the final one in the Blackshear Family trilogy. She's such a wonderful writer. A Woman Entangled is a very different story than the first two in the series, both of which involved a great deal of angst and some genuinely scandalous situations for the characters. This third novel is less weighty, but just as entertaining and involving.

(view spoiler)
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this more than I did, and it's hard to put into words why. I wasn't crazy about the Austen theme (holy P&P fatigue) for one, and that delicious slow burn arc that I loved in the last two books was missing.

In A Lady Awakened, Martha was frozen, then thawed as a true connection developed; and A Gentleman Undone had some of the best sexual tension ever. I didn't feel much of that here at all.

Their shenanigans at the end really bothered me too. (view spoiler)
Christa Schönmann Abbühl
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was the most difficult book for me to like in the trilogy. The main protagonists were both more „normal“ people than those in the two earlier ones, and their motivations quite comprehensible - but I disliked them for being so .... shallow, maybe? Grant did her work as always very well, and made me feel for the heroine and hero quite against my will ;-) She develops the characters in such a believable way, and as they become more aware and worthier persons, it gets easier to follow them on t ...more
SidneyKay
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Suzanne

Cecilia Grant’s third novel, A Woman Entangled is a wonderful composite of graceful writing, historical exposition, and believable emotion. I loved it!

A Woman Entangled (Blackshear Family series #3) is a pointed homage to Jane Austen by Grant’s repeated contextual reference Austen’s novels, and by the novel’s similar focus on one young couple struggling to understand the significance of duty, love, marriage, family, and societal expectations in their lives.

Kate Westbrook, the beautiful heroine,
Ellie
May 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I still loved the writing but this story just didn't win me over as much as the previous ones.

This was a nice addition to the series but it somehow ended as my least favourite. I was curious to read Nick's story, especially after what happened with Martha and more importantly with Will, in the previous book, so I probably had too high expectations and felt disappointed in the end,

It is a very well written story like the previous ones but I didn't feel that strong a connection with the character
Keri
I thought Nick and Kate were both shallow people and deserved one another. They both did eventually come to realize what was truly important in life and that was the families that had supported and loved them all their lives. I would have liked the ending to be bumped up to see where the Blackshears are in 3 or 5 years.
Amanda
When I reviewed Cecilia Grant previously, I mentioned how she seems to delight in turning tropes on their ears. A Woman Entangled is the last book in her Blackshear Family series, and Grant's target here is perfect.

With overt nods to both Pride and Prejudice and Emma, Grant uses the romance of Kate Westbrook and Nick Blackshear to make larger points about vanity, respectability, and expectations. What I find particularly interesting about her romances is that, while her books are in company with
HR-ML
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: immature-heroine
England 1817.

Nick, a barrister, felt shamed by his younger brother Will
who wed an ex-courtesan, which adversely effected Nick's
birth family's social connections. Also Nick received fewer
referrals from solicitors on law cases & Nick's goal was to
eventually win a MP seat. Nick's barrister mentor Charles,
had a beautiful daughter Kate who schemed & dreamed to-
wed a titled gent & facilitate her dad's reconciliation w/ his
brother the earl. Why didn't she 1st ask dad his wishes?
Why did she thi
Teresa
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
While this was my least favorite of the three books, I was still engaged and enjoyed it because of Grant's stellar writing. I just adore the way she develops stories and characters, and she has knack for writing in a way that I completely lose myself in. I did struggle with Kate, despite understanding her reasons for her actions. In less capable writing hands, I'd like have despised her. But regardless, if was still hard to spend 70% of the book off and on frustrated with a main charact
Shauni
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cecilia Grant takes us back to a time when honor and duty ruled the polite world. When make a proper marriage was more important than making a good marriage. And those that made a good marriage were often shunned. A Woman Entangled tells the story of two families with members who married beyond their position and the ramifications it had on their extended families.

Kate Westbrook is beautiful and she knows it.. of course as she points out honestly what beautiful woman doesn't know it? They have
ShoSho
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who is looking for a different kind of HR.
4.5
I'm rounding this up because I loved how different and refreshing this was compared to all the other HR romances I read. I might have given the first 2 books in the series 4 stars but I can easily say that "Blackshear Family series" is one of the best HR romances I've ever read.
They are love stories rather than saccharine sweet fairy tales! The characters have financial and social troubles , they are not titled or rich. They don't always have the best sex of their lives and not all their pro
Elizabeth (Liz)
Mar 15, 2013 marked it as dnf
In Progress/Set Aside

I couldn't finish this.

Really thought I would enjoy this, but these characters just ramble on and on about nothing to the point where it gave me a headache. At times, it reads sort of like she's trying to rewrite Jane Austen, and badly at that. I didn't feel there was anything particularly romantic about the story, either.

**ARC courtesy of Bantam via NetGalley**
Wendy
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fab writer and I just loved this series, every book is different but connected.
Jamie
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romanticals
1. I’m officially of the opinion that the world would be a better place if everyone read romance novels.

2. This had kind of a slow start, because Nick and Kate were just so narrow-minded and principled and ambitious and everything I’m not, but thanks to Andrew Blackshear, I knew to hang in there, and sure enough, they started coming undone and it was a wonderful thing.

3. Checking in on the other Blackshears was one of the best parts of the book. I was giddy, I tell you, giddy when Martha appeare
Janga
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A Woman Entangled is a quieter, less dramatic book than Grant’s earlier offerings, but it has the same level of complexity, the same layered characterization, and the same rich prose that characterized her first two books. Kate and Nick may be more ordinary than the leads in the other books, but they are complicated, contradictory, flawed characters nonetheless. Kate’s social climbing ambition makes her a less than appealing character at points in the story, but underlying her desire to win acce ...more
Blackjack
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Woman Entangled, Cecilia Grant - Themes of superficiality and ambition undergird this lovely romance between two leading characters who have parallel stories of learning that happiness requires rejecting social expectations. The only drawback for me with this novel is that I wish it had been a little longer as so many internal changes for both Kate and Nick happen too quickly. But I think that's a downside to many romances on the market today.

Interestingly, Jane Austen's books serve as touchst
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 03, 2016 07:19AM

• The Rakess (Society of Sirens, #1)
  • Unclaimed (Turner, #2)
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • Beguiling the Beauty (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #1)
  • Tempting the Bride (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #3)
  • A Delicate Deception (Regency Imposters, #3)
  • The Prince of Broadway (Uptown Girls, #2)
  • Sweet Disorder (Lively St. Lemeston Book 1)
  • Listen to the Moon (Lively St. Lemeston, #3)
  • Angel in a Devil's Arms (The Palace of Rogues, #2)
  • A Beastly Kind of Earl (Longhope Abbey, #1)
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
  • My Fake Rake (Union of the Rakes, #1)
  • Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
  • The Suffragette Scandal (Brothers Sinister, #4)
  • The Lord I Left (The Secrets of Charlotte Street, #3)
  • While the Duke Was Sleeping (The Rogue Files, #1)
  • The Scandal of It All (The Rogue Files, #2)
I write Regency-set historical romance with a high angst-to-plot ratio. I specialize in hard-headed heroines and good-hearted heroes. So far.

A word about the "reviews" I post here: Please think of them as recommendations rather than reviews. If I like a book, I'll list it here and scrawl a few sentences about why I liked it. I've gone back and forth about whether to use stars (it feels like a sled

Blackshear Family (3 books)
  • A Lady Awakened (Blackshear Family, #1)
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)

News & Interviews

“Don’t you find that a terribly romantic idea? Love stealing in to overtake two people who’d believe they were merely friends?” 18 likes
“Even two people who are no more than friends by daylight can fell prey to the influence of a secret dark room.” 3 likes