Start by marking “Speaking from Among the Bones (Flavia de Luce, #5)” as Want to Read:
Speaking from Among the Bones (Flavia de Luce, #5)

Speaking from Among the Bones (Flavia de Luce #5)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  24,564 Ratings  ·  3,139 Reviews
Eleven-year-old amateur detective and ardent chemist Flavia de Luce is used to digging up clues, whether they’re found among the potions in her laboratory or between the pages of her insufferable sisters’ diaries. What she is not accustomed to is digging up bodies. Upon the five-hundredth anniversary of St. Tancred’s death, the English hamlet of Bishop’s Lacey is busily pr ...more
Audiobook, Unabridged, 10 pages
Published January 29th 2013 by Random House Audio (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Speaking from Among the Bones, please sign up.

Sara Yes you should read the other books first. It gives away a great deal of information from those books.

Leslie
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I admit I wasn't expecting much with this latest installment of my very favorite mystery series. Not because it hasn't alway been wonderful, but because I've never read a series that kept on being wonderful so long. This one was most excellent. I have just closed the book and must tell you that the last sentence caused me to leap off the couch, throw off my snuggy in the most unladylike fashion and shriek and hoop and holler. What a surprise! I had been wondering about "it" since the first ...more
Richard Derus
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.9* of five

The Book Description: Eleven-year-old amateur detective and ardent chemist Flavia de Luce is used to digging up clues, whether they’re found among the potions in her laboratory or between the pages of her insufferable sisters’ diaries. What she is not accustomed to is digging up bodies. Upon the five-hundredth anniversary of St. Tancred’s death, the English hamlet of Bishop’s Lacey is busily preparing to open its patron saint’s tomb. Nobody is more excited to peek inside the
Jeffrey Keeten
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
”Now from yon black and fun’ral yew,
That bathes the charnel-house with dew,
Methinks I hear a voice begin;
(Ye ravens, cease your croaking din;
Ye tolling clocks, no time resound
O’er the long lake and midnight ground)
It sends a peal of hollow groans,
Thus speaking from among the bones.”

Thomas Parnell
A night-Piece on Death (1721)

When they decide to open the crypt of St. Tancred on the 500th anniversary of his death no one is more excited than Flavia de Luce. She is hoping for something gross, terri
Miranda
Ahhhhhhh!!!!! Really?!?! How long do we have to wait to find out what that means?

That was my first reaction to the last line of the book. The Flavia books are quickly becoming some of my favorites of all time, and the series is definitely at the top of my list. The tangle of mystery, murder, and normal family life make these a great read for all ages.
Mai Laakso
Alan Bradley on luonut huippuhauskan ja nokkelan jännityskirjasarjan, jonka päähenkilö on itseoikeutetusti Flavia de Luce, 11v. salapoliisi, joka selvittää rikokset tuosta noin vain pikkuvanhalla päättelykyvyllä. Tällä kertaa Flavialla on pari kilpailijaakin, mutta niiden käsittely oli helppoa kauraa kokeneelle salapoliisille, joka ei kaihtanut hautausmaita ja yöllisiä tutkimusretkiä kaiken maailman luolissa ja loukoissa, jopa urkujen sisällä.
Siitä aasinsilta uhriin, joka oli kadonnut urkuri. Fl
Nancy
It has been over a year since reading the previous Flavia book, so I thought that my reactions would be less likely to be tainted by prior annoyance. I think that was the case but, frankly, this book did not rise above the others.

The book seemed even more disjointed than the previous books, as best as I could recall. The plot had many little episodes which didn't seem to fit together, even Flavia's thoughts were distracted and less focused (the ribbon situation, for example). Characters were int
Crowinator
Near the end of Speaking From Among the Bones, Inspector Hewitt visits Flavia in the Buckshaw drawing room after she’s nosy-parkered her way, again, into solving the latest murder:

“Right, then,” Inspector Hewitt was saying. “Let’s have it.”

I couldn’t help thinking how much progress he had made since we had first met nine months ago, upon which occasion he had sent me to fetch the tea.

There was hope for the man yet.

What follows is my favorite part of the book, where Flavia gleefully does the wra
Kathy
Flavia de Luce continues to be one of my favorite characters in all my reading. She is a genius in her chemical meanderings and in her skill of detection, but we are often reminded that she is still indeed a child, not yet twelve. This latest entertaining tale centers around the disinterment of a saint's bones, St. Tancred, who was laid to rest in Bishop's Lacey in the church bearing his name. Hidden passages, a powerful diamond, and a dead choir master all become a part of the mystery which Fla ...more
Tiffany
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one as much as I did the previous four. Flavia's up to it again and she's a force to be reckoned with in this novel. Can't wait to read the next.
Petra
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Just wow! The best of the series so far.
This episode features fun, lots of new info on the villagers and more insight into the De Luce family.
The ending packs a punch as well.
Throughout, this has been a fun, feel-good series with each episode delving deeper into the lives of the De Luce family and Bishop Lacey's inhabitants. What an interesting and caring bunch of people.
Ann Sloan
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Flavia de Luce. I would adopt her, but I’m afraid she’s too smart for me. For an eleven-year-old, Flavia is too clever, too resourceful, and too head-strong. As her own father says, she is a genius. And Alan Bradley is a genius for creating her.

I feel so fortunate to have been able to get this from NetGalley. I have a terrible confession to make – I couldn’t put my Kindle down, so I took it with me to a Texas Camerata concert of Italian Baroque music. I love the music and have the highes
Kevin
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stacey, Sara, Michelle, Stephanie, Cassidy, Haley, Gabrielle, Dale, Bryan
The best! A couple of my favorite quotes from this book:

“Was sorrow, in the end, a private thing? A closed container? Something that, like a bucket of water, could be borne only on a single pair of shoulders?"

“I was learning that the best conversations consisted of keeping quiet and listening, and speaking, when one spoke at all, in words of a single syllable.”

"I was the eighth dwarf. Sneaky."

“Could it be that goodness waxes and wanes like the moon, and that only evil is constant?”

“There's an
Nikki
I do like this series — and tear through the books — when I get round to reading it, but I don’t particularly feel a pressure to keep up. There’s just something too precious about Flavia, and indeed the whole portrayal of idyllic British country life after the Second World War. My usual pet peeves with this series are firmly in place, in that sense.

But it is nice to just relax into it and enjoy the family’s weirdnesses, the unusual set up for the mystery, the intrepid Famous Five feel you get fr
Rebecca
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Like most of the reviewers here, I adore the Flavia de Luce books. This is such a quirky series that nothing really compares to it. Speaking From Among the Bones is the latest and, I'm afraid, weakest addition to the series.

Much of the charm of the de Luce series comes from its odd humor. Flavia's unwavering acceptance of bizarre situations and lack of understanding about adult issues make her one of the best unreliable narrators in history. But this book leaves much of the fun behind to focus
Nadine
Flavia is back! And to her (and our) delight she stumbles over another murder in her home village Bishop-Lacey. The dead body of the church organist is found on top of the crypt of the village saint when his crypt is about to be opened for the 500th anniversary of his death. To her utter delight Flavia is present and can start investigating right away.
The financial situation of the family is worse than ever and Flavia is happy to be able to spend her energy and attention on solving her latest mu
Tiina
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Johtuneeko lukijan muinaisista haaveista ryhtyä kanttoriksi vai tämän yleisestä kirkkofiksaatiosta, mutta tämä oli HYVÄ. Ja apua, mikä lopetus!
Mari
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Seuraavaa osan suomennos äkkiä kiitos.
J
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series ... this book was highly anticipated & it was worth the wait! The problems with the rushed Christmas book seem to be corrected in this novel - this book felt planned and not crassly commercialized. The odd family dynamics were still present, but were punctuated by moments of family love & concern that were lacking in earlier books. Tenderness and connections between characters formed. This book was softer and more pleasant somehow. We also got a ton of backstory and ch ...more
Julie Wilhoit
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could find NOTHING bad to say about the Flavia DeLuce series. Flavia is spunky, smart, secretive and did I say smart? I LOVE LOVE LOVE the series, I devoured this book in a matter of days and am already counting down to the release of the next book in early 2014. This book ended with a cliffhanger, my favorite kind of story.
Although I have heard that these books will be made into a series on tv, I may not get to see it since it will debut on the BBC. But...that's okay because I have Flavia, Do
Dorie
Great audiobook, love the narration by Flavia, one of my favorite heroines. The story was a good one although not the best I've read in the series. Still enjoyed it very much!
Judie
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Flavia de Luce. I want to adopt this almost 12-year-old girl and fill her days with love, validation, good food, and encouragement. They are the elements missing from her life although some of the non-family characters do make an effort..
As in all the books, I found myself mesmerized being in Flavia’s mind in 1951 England. These books are unique and very special.
In SPEAKING FROM AMONG THE BONES, book five of the wonderful series, Flavia helps find a corpse buried under the church. Usi
Susan
I've read four of the books in this series, and while I liked them, I was getting a little bored. This one made me a fan again. Flavia is growing up a bit, but still precocious and still getting into trouble. And, of course, still solving murders.

A mystery, some endearing characters, and facts that I never knew, or long ago forgot, about science, especially chemistry – what more could I ask for in a light read? Put it all together and I found this book quite charming. Is Flavia realistic? No. Is
Zahra Husain
For any one who has been reading the Flavia series, this is the book where the plot line for the De Luce family thickens, but sometimes also leading to the mystery being compromised. The book almost entirely becomes about the family, it's history and the various relationship dynamics. The murder in this book takes a back seat to the family drama.

While I liked it, it's definitely not my favourite from the series.
Trisha
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As an audiobook, I typically love these silly mysteries. But this is the first one that I wasn't drawn into. The plot felt jumbled and all over the place - possibly because this one is not good as an audio and better as a physical book.

either way, I had a tough time paying attention and following along.

BUT....that last line?!?!? OMG. Time to read the next one!
David
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another 5-star read from Alan Bradley. (To be published in February 2013) As the De Luce family ponders the gloomy prospects of losing their beloved home, Flavia embarks on another scientific sleuthing and learns even more about the mysterious Harriet. Tally Ho!
Marika Oksa
Oli hyvä. Sarjahan vaan paranee edetessään.
Jaline
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-completed
This is another terrific book in this series. Flavia de Luce is an endearing character – mentally and emotionally precocious, yet still with many little-girl flaws. She pretty much has no fear, doesn’t care if she gets herself (or her bike, or the house) dirty; to her, life is all one big experiment. It is one of the things that is so charming about her – she can outwit and out-think many of the adults in her life, yet her strong curiosity, the need to know things and to figure them out (along w ...more
Aleshanee
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: krimi, jugendbuch
Meine Meinung

Ein neuer Fall für die mittlerweile 12jährige Flavia, in dem sie wieder mal zufällig über eine Leiche stolpert.
Ich war recht schnell in der Geschichte drin; in gewohntem Ambiente in dem kleinen Dorf Bishops Lacey und auf dem Anwesen der de Luces. Die Schreibweise hält sich ja durchgehend wirklich gut. Alan Bradley hat einen ganz besonderen Stil, eine Mischung aus sehr anschaulichen, einfachen und metaphorischen Sätzen. Zwar gab es wieder einige chemische Ausführlichkeiten durch Flav
LJ
First Sentence: Blood dripped from the neck of the severed head and fell in a drizzle of red raindrops, clotting into a ruby pool upon the black and white tiles.

Pre-teen Flavia de Luce is excited about the opening of the 500-year-old tomb of Saint Tancred and is determined to witness the event. However, the first body uncovered, is that of Mr. Collicutt, the church organist—dead, wearing a gas mask. With her skill at chemistry, detection and a little help, Flavia has yet another murder to solve.
PEI Public Library Service
Speaking from among the bones by Alan Bradley

Speaking among the bones is the fifth title in the Flavia de Luce series by Canadian author Alan Bradley. Flavia is an 11-year-old girl from an English aristocratic family who loves chemistry(especially poisons). She is also, despite her young age, an amateur detective who ably assists the local police in the solving of murders in the village of Bishop's Lacey.

In this book, the people of Bishop's Lacey are preparing to commemorate the 500th anniversar
Daffy and Feely's animosity 6 122 Sep 27, 2014 02:07PM
The Parrot - spoiler, only for those who have finished! 17 218 Dec 10, 2013 02:51AM
The Readers: YWTB #5 - Alan Bradley 2 30 Aug 16, 2013 09:03PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: "Speaking from Among the Bones" by Alan Bradley 1 4 Apr 29, 2013 08:27AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Speaking From Among the Bones 2 7 Mar 18, 2013 10:33AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Speaking from Among the Bones - 2nd March Book 1 5 Mar 05, 2013 06:45AM
  • Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs, #10)
  • The Woman Who Wouldn't Die (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #9)
  • The God of the Hive (Mary Russell, #10)
  • The Twelve Clues of Christmas (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #6)
  • The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline (Enola Holmes, #5)
  • The Ghost Fields (Ruth Galloway, #7)
  • Bury Your Dead (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #6)
  • Eleven Pipers Piping (Father Christmas Mystery #2)
  • A Fistful of Collars (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #5)
  • The Water Room (Bryant & May, #2)

With an education in electronic engineering, Alan worked at numerous radio and television stations in Ontario, and at Ryerson Polytechnical Institute (now Ryerson University) in Toronto, before becoming Director of Television Engineering in the media centre at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, where
More about Alan Bradley...

Flavia de Luce (9 books)
  • The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1)
  • The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag (Flavia de Luce, #2)
  • A Red Herring Without Mustard (Flavia de Luce, #3)
  • I Am Half-Sick of Shadows (Flavia de Luce, #4)
  • The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches (Flavia de Luce, #6)
  • As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust (Flavia de Luce, #7)
  • Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd (Flavia de Luce, #8)
  • The Grave's a Fine and Private Place (Flavia de Luce, #9)

“No point in wasting time with false vanity when you possess the real thing.” 22 likes
“I wanted to cry.

I also wanted to go to my laboratory and prepare an enormous batch of nitrogen triiodide with which to blow up, in a spectacular mushroom cloud of purple vapor, the world and everyone in it.”
22 likes