Start by marking “Promises to Keep” as Want to Read:
Promises to Keep

Promises to Keep

(Den of Shadows #9)

The compendium of creations (SingleEarth, the Bruja guilds, the Midnight empire) intertwine in an exciting, unsettling plot featuring happenings both accidental and deliberate that will forever change the alternate landscape inhabited by vampires, Tristes, shapeshifters et al.

It all begins with a wrong turn and a crashed party, and from there it's an epic clash of
Published February 20th 2013 by Random House International (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Promises to Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promises to Keep

Start your review of Promises to Keep
Alaina

So Promises to Keep sort of confused me at least for a little bit of the book but I got over that little hump and fell in love with this book. The book is about Jay, who is a vampire hunter.

He basically shows up at the wrong place around the right time and shit sort of hits the fan. Jay is basically a bad ass vampire hunter and he made this book pretty exciting from the start. Now I totally get how people didn't like him in the beginning or connect with him as a main character - BUT I LOVED
Cyna
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jessica (a GREAT read)
I found myself in yet another dilemma with Amelia Atwater-Rhodes's Promises to Keep, the final book in the Den of Shadows series. Perhaps it's been too long since I was in this world, or perhaps it was all the new characters and worldbuilding were just too much to absorb. Something obviously didn't click for me with the latter half of the series. I'm not sure what it was to be honest, but I kept hoping to be wowed with these books like I was in the beginning of the series.

This one started off
Marie
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I was in junior high school, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes' books were my favorite books, no contest. When she started publishing again I, of course, had to get myself copies. They weren't as great but I liked them.
But this one is the biggest let down so far. The novel felt unfocused and jerky. We were thrown at characters with no introduction and then they weren't heard from again. The whole time I generally felt like I was missing something, like there was an inside joke flying over my head.
I
Laura Martinelli
I read In the Forests of the Night way back in 2000, when I was an impressionable young thirteen year old and had read a few articles in my various teen magazines about this fourteen year old debut author who wrote this whole series about vampires. The initial four Den of Shadows books—ItFofN, Demon in My View, Shattered Mirror and Midnight Predator—were constant rereads throughout the rest of middle school and my first year of high school, and then I dropped her after Hawksong came out. Since ...more
Haley
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Promises to keep is the ninth book in the Den of Shadows, and is connected to the prequels, the Kiesha’ra series. There are vampires and witches that were in the Den of Shadows series. Lady Brina and Jeshickah and Jaguar were all first introduced in Midnight Predator. There are also some shape shifters. Lynx the cat is back, and the main character is a young male witch with empathy name Jay. I had a hard time remembering where other characters came from, so I was mostly confused reading this ...more
Jessica
Before going into this, I had no idea it was the ninth book in a series. Well, maybe that explains why it was so confusing. Because I had no idea what the heck was going on for about 95% of the book.

Jay is a vampire hunter who goes to the wrong party at the right time. While a vampire ruled empire called Midnight threatens to take over the world, Jay is ready to fight them, no matter what it takes.

Yeah, that's basically all I can remember about what happened. The world Jay lived in was so
Miranda
I've been reading Ms. Atwater-Rhodes books since I was in the 7th grade. I remember buying "into the forest of the night" at a book sale at the school and it didn't occur to to me then as a child that it was going to leave a huge mark on me. When I was in highschool I'd probably reread it so many times I could recite it. And it's when taking a creative writing course that I used it as a kind of inspiration. I wanted to do to others what she'd done to me.
Her world building has been amazing to
Lindsey
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I really liked Jay in All Just Glass and so him starring in his own book was an automatic win for me. Other reviewers have pointed out the problematic bits, mostly concerning slavery in the DoS universe, and I’m not going to go into that.

I don’t generally like YA, but I faithfully read and collect all of Atwater-Rhodes’ books since I first read Hawksong many years ago. One of the reason’s she’s kept me this long is, honestly, because (view spoiler)was like
BAYA Librarian
Oct 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jay is a witch, and a vampire hunter, a very good one, sworn to keep the peace and protect the world. On a whim he attends a vampire’s gala festival where he finds himself at the very center of the enemy’s world when he discovers the body of an unconscious woman. Through his investigation Jay awakens an elemental spirit set on revenge and discovers that an evil vampire empire, once thought destroyed, is on the rise.

Atwater-Rhodes is a capable writer, her early series Den of Shadows, created a
Awel
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think of this book is that it is a really good book and that its something i recommend for people to read and that its has a mysterious type of vibe and its has some twists to it.
Angela
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 Stars

Promises to Keep is the ninth and final book in The Den of Shadows series by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes.
This is a great YA, paranormal fantasy series with vampires, witches, shapeshifters, supernatural elements, hunters, mystery, suspense, danger, action, drama, and a little angst. And was a great way to wrap up the series. Everything comes to a head in this action-packed adventure. There was quite a lot going on in this story, but I think the author choreographed everything really well.
Britney
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
I totally forgot who a lot of people were that were mentioned in this book. They were from earlier in the series and hadn't been mentioned since book 2. It took me a while to get through this series and that is why I forgot.
Jill Davis
I felt disconnected. Usually I fly through her books, but this was taking forever. I only got to page 90, but I just wasnt feeling it. The same thing happened with Poisoned Tree. I just got confused and bored.
Trina Collins
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
interesting turn of events
Daniel
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book it drew me in and kept just adding more and more to its almost never ending story I liked the story
Julia
Even more complex, as this book knits together characters in pretty much all the other books. Interesting, epic, and probably worth a reread.
Lizzie
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had its moments but overall the story was just meh.
Kristen Coffin
"Fire is bound in blood, and earth is bound in flesh."

description

I adore Jay. He's adorable. I want him to wind up with that vamp guy. They're precious.
Olivia Hennis
SNAPSHOT:

Since 1999, the vampires, witches and shapeshifters of the Den of Shadows have found their way into backpacks everywhere: waging wars, fighting for lost loves, and dealing in moral shades of gray. The final installment brings to the forefront teenage witch and vampire hunter Jay Marinitch. A powerful empath and skilled slayer, Jay’s carefree attitude manages to land him in deep with a line of artistic and sadistic vampire slave-traders and draw the attention of a powerful and angry
Robyn Jones
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Promises to Keep (Den of Shadows 9)
by Amelia Atwater Rhodes
258 pages
Published by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (March 12, 2013)
Borrowed the book from the library
4 STARS

Jay comes from a line of witches with a long history battling vampires. He takes his chosen path as a hunter seriously, about the only thing in his life he treats this way. Otherwise the nineteen year old lives a nomadic existence. Then he scores an invite to the vamp party of the year. No witch or hunter would dare attend,
R.
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kim
From Children's Literature review:
This ninth installment in the Den of Shadows series centers on Jay Marinitch, a 19-year-old vampire hunter who seems to attract trouble. Working for SingleEarth, the organization that promotes peace between various supernatural creatures and humans, Jay has no business going to the Heathen Holiday gala. However, he is unable to resist the gathering of artistic vampires, and promptly finds himself in over his head when he meets an unstable vampire named Brina.
Tanya
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-bought
McKenzie Templeton
To be quiet honest, I attempted to read this one not long after I received it around March. I got a chapter, two chapters on, and I couldn't go any farther. I put a bookmark in it and shelved it. Then I realized the other day how many ARCs I had yet to read, so I pulled out this one. I'll admit, I had a slightly easier time getting through it this time, but it still wasn't one of my favorites.

The plot was quiet boring to me. Vampires, shapeshifters, uninteresting characters trying to save the
Tusora
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing!
I have only read a couple of Amelia's books and they were in a different series altogether. That did not hinder me at all while reading this; which is the mark of awesome writing!
To be honest I didn't like the main character at all. In fact, it was not until the VERY VERY end that I started to come around to him. Though I definitally did not connect with the main character I was still able to really enjoy the book.
Was hoping that 'Pet' would play a bigger role in the book
Jessica Figueroa
This author was the reason I started picking up paranormal books in my teens and I was surprised that she come out with quite a few books since then and I decided to order all of which I haven't read. This book wasn't that great, I did like it, it passed the time but wasn't nothing really much I can say about it. its only like 230 something pages and It felt like it dragged honestly. With that amount of pages I could quickly read it under 3hrs but it too me forever to get into, then when things ...more
Kim Heimbuch
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jay is a teenage witch vampire hunter who doesn’t really fit in with the other witches. Jay has a sidekick Lynx which he can talk to also. It could be because he has a habit of befriending vampires and even donating himself as a snack – a major death sentence should the witches find out. Acting alone, he decides to attend the Heathen Holiday Bash, held by Kendra the vampire empress, and before the night is out he is coming to the aid of two unsuspecting people that his kind shouldn’t be mingling ...more
Lauren Homer
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update 7/25/16:
These books are just so much bigger than I ever knew they would be when I read the first 4 Den of Shadows books. I still agree with my past review but just a side question, are Sarah and Nikolas a thing or what??
This book was not at all what I was expecting at the beginning. Pretty interesting. And surprising that in what I assume is the last book in the series, the whole universe is basically changed (justified, not like breaking her own rules). There are definitely parts that I
Jaimie
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Atwater-Rhodes takes her readers on her most exciting adventure yet, as they follow Witch Jay through a journey to discover the power of the elementals. She doesn't waste a minute - throwing Jay into action during Kendra's mid-Winter party as he flirts with both male and female vampires (ooooh) and then gets embroiled in a conflict with Midnight, a supernatural slave-trading organization. Through all this action and spell work, Jay also learns more about his power and about the magical beings ...more

• 666: The Number of the Beast
  • Otherearth (Last Reality, #2)
  • Otherworld (Last Reality, #1)
  • Piper
  • Notes from a Small Island
  • The Principal's Quick-Reference Guide to School Law: Reducing Liability, Litigation, and Other Potential Legal Tangles
  • Leadership for Culturally and Linguistically Responsive Schools
  • Darkwater
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Mrs. Fletcher
  • Don't Look Back
  • The Color of Fear (Once Upon a Zombie, #1)
I grew up in Concord, Massachusetts, where I matriculated through the public Concord-Carlisle school district from kindergarten until my graduation in 2001. The best part of school, from fifth grade until the year I graduated, was definitely chorus. I love music, and I love to sing, and though I never had the courage or the talent to participate in any of the high school plays as a performer, I ...more

Den of Shadows (9 books)