Start by marking “The Summer of Dead Toys (Inspector Salgado #1)” as Want to Read:
The Summer of Dead Toys (Inspector Salgado #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Summer of Dead Toys

(Inspector Salgado #1)

A skillfully plotted tale of misdeeds and murder--introducing Inspector Hector Salgado, a detective with a complicated past, a love of cinema . . . and a tendency to violence.

Under a hot Barcelona sun, a killer is feeling the heat.
     When the death of a vulnerable young witness in a case of human trafficking and voodoo causes the normally calm Police Inspector Hec
Published June 18th 2013 by Doubleday Canada (first published November 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Summer of Dead Toys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Summer of Dead Toys

Pau
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5/5

Pues sí señores, mi segunda lectura del año también fue un thriller. No sé qué me está pasando. Vuelvo a decir lo que digo siempre, soy una lectora de thrillers amateur, por lo que hay que tenerlo en cuenta a la hora de interpretar mi reseña.

Coincidió que mientras leía este libro también estaba leyendo otro thriller, El ojo de Eva de Karin Fossum, por lo que me fue imposible no compararlos a medida que avanzaba. Y aunque este libro no es una maravilla, me gustó mucho más que el otro porque
Andrea
3.5★

It's a hot, steamy summer in Barcelona and when Inspector Hector Salgado returns to his job after enforced leave, the Super wants to ease him back into work by assigning him an unofficial investigation. Salgado is to look into the circumstances surrounding the death of a young man, to put his estranged mother's mind to rest. Furthermore, it is the first time he is to work with hotshot new Agent, Leire Castro, who has joined his team while he was away. Meanwhile, complications arise from the
Franco  Santos
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro me mantuvo completamente entretenido. Es muy rápido de leer, ameno y propina sorpresas a lo largo de la historia. Realmente no me esperaba todo eso... Novela negra en todo su esplendor. Lo recomiendo.
Atram_sinprisa
Una lástima de novela. El autor tiene potencial, y lo demuestra en grandes fragmentos, pero la trama hace aguas por todas partes.
Quizá la recomendaría a aquellos que no les guste este género. Al ser simple, quizá les guste más que una novela de género.
Otro bestseller policíaco más, con la gran tristeza de que haya sido un libro bastante conocido frente a obras maestras que conocen sólo unos pocos privilegiados, lo que las hace más especiales aún.
Sandra Deaconu
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vara jucăriilor moarte este un roman captivant, deși ușurel. Nu l-aș considera un thriller pur, pentru că ritmul nu este unul specific, ci lent, în ciuda faptului că întreaga acțiune se desfășoară pe parcursul a 5 zile. Eu îl consider o treime thriller și două treimi dramă. Drama unor copii neglijați și chiar abandonați de părinți, a unor tineri care apucă pe căi greșite pentru că nu au pe cineva care să îi îndrume, a unor adulți care se pierd pe drum și uită ce este cu adevărat important și, nu ...more
Rusalka
This book deserves a more thought out review than I am going to give it, but I am trying to clear my desk before going away.

This is a great police procedural set in Spain. There is the token grumpy Inspector with a dark past and personal issues, but he is more likeable than most. The plucky female junior partner was also given more depth than usual.

The crimes were nicely but not overly convoluted. And I didn't see the whodunnit coming. The setting of a lovely, steamy, summer Barcelona was great.
Beverly
This was a 3.5 read for me.

Excellent characterizations and plenty of plot twists wrapped in a dark timbre makes for a satisfying and entertaining read. This book introduces us to Inspector Hector Salgado, a Barcelona police homicide detective, who has just returned from visiting his native Argentina, as he is on “forced” leave due to beating up a sex trafficker ring leader who denied culpability in the death of a young Nigerian girl. Because of his violent actions, Hector is taken off this case
L.A. Starks
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This well-written, engaging mystery is set in Barcelona. It features Inspector Salgado, an Argentine, struggling to solve a death that at first appears to be a suicide. Other characters, and mysteries, are set in motion, and a "meta-mystery" is not solved in this book. The second in the series, The Good Suicides, is also excellent; I look forward to the third.
Labijose
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leí esta novela en el 2012, y aunque no recuerdo mucho de la trama, lo que sí sé es que me sorprendió, y me pareció que el protagonista daba para más novelas, como así fue a posteriori. Cuatro sobre cinco.
Bill
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
There is a lot to like about this exciting new thriller by Mr. Hill. You meet some interesting new characters. You get a feeling of what it must feel like to live in Barcelona. You are kept in the dark about what is really happening until near the end, and then everything begins to unfold and slowly become clear.

The book has some parts that will make you squirm. You may wonder whether Inspector Salgado is really too messed up to continue as a policeman. The action switches locations and charact
Maria Altiki
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ένα πραγματικά πολύ καλό αστυνομικό. Άρτια γραφή και καλοστημένη πλοκή. Το σασπένς υπάρχει σε όλη την διάρκεια της αφήγησης και αυτό το κάνει άκρως εθιστικό. Από τα βιβλία που δύσκολα αφήνεις από τα χέρια σου. Πολύ καλό χτίσιμο στους χαρακτήρες των ηρώων που τους κάνει αγαπητούς, βασικό στοιχείο όταν θέλεις να κάνεις σειρά βιβλίων με αυτούς. Ο Έκτορ Σαλγάδο με την Λέιρε Κάστρο πραγματικά πολύ καλό δίδυμο. Φυσικά θα ήθελα να δω κάτι παραπάνω στο επόμενο από την Μαρτίνα Αντρέου. Επίσης το κομμάτι ...more
Eva
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me lo he pasado muy bien leyendo esta novela, me ha gustado el protagonista, Héctor Salgado, y me han entrado unas ganas terribles de seguir con la segunda parte. Aún así no es una novela redonda, el final demasiado abrupto y por los pelos y con algunos cuantos tópicos. Pero recomendable.
Anca Rucareanu
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it

„Vara jucăriilor moarte”, romanul semnat de Antonio Hill, mi-a ținut companie în aceste zile de început ale lunii octombrie. Să fie vinovată starea de sumbru indusă de farmecul sărbătorii americane de la sfârșitul lunii, să fie vinovată starea mea sau nervii mei care aveau nevoie de ceva care să îi țină întinși la maxim? Nu știu pe cine să dau vina. Știu doar că romanul nu a fost atât de „thriller” pe cât mă așteptam să fie. Nu am citit toate cărțile care aparțin acestui gen, mai am mult până de
Julie
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
The Summer of Dead Toys is a Random House publication released in June 2013.

We are introduced to Inspector Hector Salgado during a very difficult period. He is on leave while he seeks therapy and things cool down a bit from Hector's breakdown. He nearly beat a man to death after discovering the atrocities the man had committed. Somehow, Hector was hanging on to his job.
Hector is also dealing with his ex-wife that left him for another woman and the distance between himself and his son.

When a you
Jason P
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
The Summer of Dead Toys

I don't know who this Toni Hill guy is, but hot damn does he know how to tell a good thriller!
When I chose to read this book I picked it up on whim; never know about the whim picks, they can go either way. I picked one up once that claimed to be what it wasn't, and it went directly back to the book store, take THAT unnamed author who I won't mention.

Anyway, the story we find here is about a police officer by the name of Hector Salgado (which means salty for those of you w
Sora91
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El inspector Héctor Salgado regresa a Barcelona después de unas "vacaciones" forzosas y se encuentra, en medio del verano, atrapado entre dos casos de manera extraoficial: por un lado el que propició su expulsión y por el otro la muerte de un joven por suicidio.
Estamos delante de lo que parece la primera entrega de la serie de Héctor Salgado. ¡Fantástico!, porque el libro me ha parecido muy bueno. De esos que no puedes apartar porque te gustaría leerlo de una tirada. Y es que el punto fuerte de
Susan
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent start to a crime series set in a stifling Barcelona summer. Inspector Salgado has been sent away after a violent attack on a human trafficker. Returning to Spain, he is still under investigation. At a lose end he is asked to look into the death of a nineteen year old boy, son of a prominent businessman, from a balcony window. Investigating with him is Leine Castro, who has problems of her own.

As Salgado finds his previous case has certainly not gone away, he delves into the
Zézinha Rosado
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: minha-biblioteca
Não sou leitora muito assídua de autores espanhóis, mas confesso que este me ficou debaixo de olho e lamentavelmente não existem mais livros publicados no nosso país, o que é uma pena, pois dá para perceber claramente que a história tem continuação, e a ver pela maneira como terminou este livro, garanto que a sequela deve ser espectacularmente viciante.
Confesso que as primeiras 50 páginas do livro não me prenderam muito, entraram muitas personagens ao mesmo tempo e houve alturas em que cheguei a
Fenia Vazaka
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Επιτέλους και κάτι καλό! Διαβάζεται γρήγορα, η πλοκή σε κρατάει σε αγωνία και δεν θέλεις να το αφήσεις από τα χέρια σου. Οι χαρακτήρες έχουν ουσία και ο αναγνώστης αισθάνεται ότι μπορεί να ταυτιστεί μαζί τους.
Μου άρεσε ο τρόπος που εξελίχθηκαν οι δύο παράλληλες ιστορίες (η μία σχετικά με τον πρωταγωνιστή) και η κυρίως υπόθεση που κλήθηκε να ερευνήσει.
Επίσης, μου άρεσαν οι ανατροπές και οι συγκλονιστικές εξελίξεις στο τέλος. Από την αρχή δεν πάει καν το μυαλό σε αυτό το σενάριο!
Εννοείται ότι θα
Bettie☯
Jul 26, 2012 marked it as maybe  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Laura
Blurb in English - When the death of a vulnerable young witness in a case of human trafficking and voodoo causes the normally calm Inspector Salgado to beat someone up, he is moved off the project and sent instead to investigate a teenager's fall to his death in one of Barcelona's uptown areas.

As Salgado begins to uncover the inconvenient truths behind the city's most powerful families, two seemingly unsolvable cases are set to implode under the hot Barcelona sun.
Elen
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5
Le faltó mucho para llegar a atraparme. El final fue impredecible, pero igualmente no me generó nada.
Thari
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barcelona, Hochsommer. Inspektor Héctor Salgado hat einen afrikanischen „Arzt“ krankenhausreif geschlagen, der mit einem Mädchenhändlerring in Verbindung gebracht wird und nun verschwunden ist. Schnell muss Salgdao feststellen, dass da noch jemand eine Rechnung mit ihm offen hat – merkwürdige Vorfälle in seiner Umgebung häufen sich und bringen Salgado schließlich ins Visier seiner ermittelnden Kollegin Martina Andreu.

Die Ermittlung, die Salgado übertragen wird, scheint dagegen geradezu banal. Ei
Álvaro Díaz
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gran primer libro de Toni Hill. Me parece una novela negra más que notable, máxime para ser la opera prima del autor. Se trata de una historia que gira en torno a un caso de posible asesinato/suicidio y a otro secundario relacionado con santería/vudú, ambos situados en Barcelona y con un protagonista que quizá me parece lo más flojo de la novela junto con el desenlace, que si bien sorprende (¡y mucho!), me parece poco creíble. Sin embargo, la historia engancha, te mantiene en vilo, hace que tus ...more
Iustina Dinulescu
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
„Adevărul este un puzzle ce cuprinde adevărurile fiecăruia.” (Ioan Gyuri Pascu)

Vara jucăriilor moarte nu este doar un thriller, este mai degrabă o multitudine de drame adunate laolaltă ca un buchet. Este drama tinerelor de culoare, care prin intermediul unei rețele de prostituție sunt aduse din satele lor sărace cu promisiunea unei vieți mai bune în Barcelona, este drama tinerilor care cad pradă drogurilor și a anturajelor periculoase, este drama oamenilor legii, care în lupta lor pentru dreptat
Elena
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Una novela negra entretenida y ligera. Me ha conseguido mantener enganchada hasta el final con las diferentes tramas que se desarrollan a lo largo de toda la historia. Supongo que también me ha resultado agradable al estar ambientada en una ciudad que conozco bien.
Mery_B
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
3'5
Sar
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me ha hecho devorar las páginas. Puede que me esperara un poco más del desenlace, pero no sé a que espero a leer el siguiente.
BR
The Summer of Dead Toys, Antonio Hill
Broadway Books
978-0-7704-3589-9
$15, 362 pgs

“No one has ever been killed out of love; that’s a fallacy from tango.” - Héctor Salgado

This story grabs you on page one and refuses to relinquish its grip. From the first page: “It’s been a long time since I thought of Iris or the summer she died. I suppose I tried to forget it all, in the same way I overcame nightmares and childhood fears. … I’m six years old, I’m at camp and I can’t sleep because I’m scared. No, I
  • The Japanese Corpse (Grijpstra & De Gier Mystery, #5)
  • The Golden Scales (Makana, #1)
  • The Missing File
  • Or the Bull Kills You (Chief Inspector Max Camara, #1)
  • Happy Birthday, Türke! (Kayankaya #1)
  • The Spirit Keepers: The Spirit Series #1
  • The Honey Guide (Mollel, #1)
  • Nights of Awe
  • The Gates of Hell (The Shards of Heaven, #2)
  • The Golden Calf (Inspector Huss #5)
  • Frozen Sun (Nathan Active Mystery, #3)
  • Complication
  • Midnight
  • Summer Death (Malin Fors #2)
  • Bamboo and Blood (Inspector O, #3)
  • Permanent Record
  • The Book of Stolen Tales (Mesopotamian Trilogy, #2)
  • Killed at the Whim of a Hat (Jimm Juree, #1)
Antonio Hill is a Spanish author. His first novel, El verano de los juguetes muertos (The summer of the dead toys), has had a great success and it has received many excellent reviews.

Toni Hill was born in 1966, in Barcelona (Spain). He is a Bachelor of Psychology. He has worked for over ten years as a literary translator with Random House Mondadori, S.A., one of the leaders in edition and distribu

Inspector Salgado (3 books)
  • The Good Suicides (Inspector Salgado, #2)
  • Los amantes de Hiroshima (Inspector Salgado, #3)
“As culpas não se expiam, carregam-se!” 1 likes
“The fridge, empty as a brothel in Lent, received the jug with a purr of satisfaction.” 0 likes