Start by marking “Hey, Duck!” as Want to Read:
Hey, Duck!

Hey, Duck!

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  228 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
An adorable little duckling is trying to befriend another "duck." However, he is oblivious to the fact that his potential pal is, in fact, a cat. Though resistant and stubborn at first, the cat soon realizes labels don't matter in the least—and before you know it, meowing and quacking are one and the same.

"A sweet, tender and charming experience to read aloud or together."
Published January 22nd 2013 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Hey, Duck!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hey, Duck!

Tim
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
OK, I am biased. My nickname since high school is "Duck." I am easily charmed by duckling books. Add to that, that the kitten in this book bears a striking resemblance to our Buffy Sainte Meow (who died unexpectedly early this year)...and you have a recipe for a completely biased opinion...

But I found this adorable and enjoyable from beginning to end. The extra fluffy characters in the mostly full-bleed illustrations are expressive in body and face. The duckling's enthusiastic confusion, the kit
Kathryn
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: emily
My daughter Emily (18 months) loves this book! It is a cute book about how friendships can come in any form. Just because you're a cat, doesn't mean you can't a friend who is a duck! Cute story!
Jessie Alexander-East
A duck keeps calling her friend, Cat, a duck much to the dismay of said cat. The rhyming text is very well done and would be perfect for a beginning reader; the illustrations are funny and surprising; and the story line will invite interesting discussion! An excellent author/illustrator debut for Bramsen!
Jane G
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LOVE LOVE LOVE the illustrations in this story. The duck and cat are so cute that you will want them to come to life off the pages. Great question is "Can a Duck and Cat be friends?" of course they can.
Lara
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
The story is pretty adorable--a little duckling keeps insisting that Duck (really a cat) should come play with him. But something about the illustrations bothers me; they just feel too computer generated somehow I think. Sweet book about friendship, though...
Maggie
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Adorable
Melitta Jackson (bitterlyfun)
I love the art in this, and the whole concept was adorable. However, towards the end of the book got a little disconnected. Something was a little off by it, it almost felt rushed and forced. Will update as soon as my niece reads it.
Good for socialization/friendship/phonological awareness
Kathy
Sep 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Description: A duck tries to befriend a cat that he does not know is a cat. He thinks the cat is a duck and talks to him as if he is a duck. The cat gets upset, but when the duck goes missing he realizes that friendship is more important than labels.

Curriculum connection: The book is filled with words like float/boat, cat/scat, duck/truck. So, it would really help children identify and produce words that rhyme and that have shared ending sounds.

Personal reaction to the book: I really loved the
Amber
Fantastically cute illustrations, especially the cat!
Simple and fun text makes it a good read for storytimes!
Duck thinks that Cat is a very interesting looking duck and asks the Cat why it looks so weird, following Cat around and being a bot of a pest. Cat finally shakes Duck off after climbing a tree to take a nap, but when Cat wakes up it's a little confused and begins to think maybe it is a duck after all so he runs off to find Duck. Needless to say, the two become friends and learn that whet
Jae
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this is the cutest children's book I have read in a long time. and I have read many many kids books not only in my younger years but these past 15 yrs of being a mum. I just read this one tonight with my youngest for the first time and was not expecting such a treat. I mean come on - a lot of children's stories do test a parent hence we overcompensate with our silly voices. but not this one it is brilliant and simplistic and even my 12 year old loved it
Margaret Chind
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely the cutest book to get ready for spring! Joining an unlikely duo of a cat and a duckling, these two learn to be friends. This little book is full of vocabulary and facts. The images are vibrant and almost cuddly too. Very amusing, easily I can picture this one being a frequent read over and again with my preschooler.

I'll have to try to get my hands on this one when it comes out.
Sandra Guerfi
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: board-books
Little Duck thinks Cat is just another duckling and wants to be friends but Cat is not interested in doing the things Little Duck wants to do. Will Cat come to realize that Little Duck can be a friend even though they're different and like different things? Really sweet early story about how friendship can bloom in the most unlikely ways.
Erin
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A cute and funny book about a duckling who wants to befriend a cat (of which the duckling thinks is a duck), ending in an unlikely friendship between the two. I especially liked the soft feel of the illustrations.
Nancy
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Duck wants a friend. And he has decided that the cat is actually a duck! As hard as Cat tries to convince Duck that he is not a duck, he just can't get it through his head. Finally, Duck gets mad and goes off to play on his own. Will Cat be happy now?
Roben
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Duck's persistence pays off as he attempts to forge an unlikely friendship with cat. Adorable illustrations. The 2 year old granddaughter wanted this one read repeatedly. A great read-aloud for PreK!
Heather
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teacher-specific
I would use this book in my classroom. To summary this book, there a duck that wants to get a cat to play with him. The cat wants nothing to do with the duck at first but by the end of the book there friends and they play with each others.
Beth
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A book with the extra-cute illustrations, a storyline told in verse, and a darling plot. I love the way these two new friends (the duckling and the kitten) get along in the end, despite their differences. A hit with both my two-year-old and my five-year-old.
Whitney
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-toddler
Absolutely LOVED this book. Wonderful illustrations (perhaps computer generated??? They were so detailed!). The story is so cute and clever. Cassie laughed when the cat "quacked" and the duck "meowed." LOVE, love, LOVE this book.
Ed
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Really not my kind of book. The story was cute, but the rhymes were very forced, and detracted from the story. The illustrations were cute as well, but I just wasn't that impressed. Could have been a much better book.
Margie
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
They say you can't judge a book by its cover but in this case you can. Carin Bramsen's illustrations are simply charming; full of humor and lightness. Her rhyming dialogue between duck and cat are picture book perfect in her debut work.

My full review: http://bit.ly/Y3JieC
Allison
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
funny, rhyming, friends
Sphinx Feathers
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very cute albeit predictable children's book. The drawings are wonderful and the joy in the characters is wonderful. A great read for a day in the spring.
Chris Aldrich
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-juvenile
Cute and quirky illustrations with a nice twist at the end. Not highly sophisticated, but works well if read in silly voices.
PWRL
May 28, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
O
Leslie
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Super cute! This has almost a Dr. Seuss-like rhythm to it at times. Quick, easy writing and adorable pics to go along with the dialog.
Shainna
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
The artwork is beautiful and the story's very cute
Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This cute book about an annoyed cat and a relentless duck will tickle your funny bone. The pictures make the cat and duck actually touchable.
Deborah
Mar 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
The illustrations were nice, but the story was not very good.
Beverly
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The cat and duckling are simply adorably cute; you can almost feel the soft fur and feathers in these illustrations. Funny story, too.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »