Start by marking “The Beautiful Lady: Our Lady of Guadalupe” as Want to Read:
The Beautiful Lady: Our Lady of Guadalupe

The Beautiful Lady: Our Lady of Guadalupe

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Every December, Grandma Lupita tells Rose the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe. As they make paper flowers to put around her statue, Grandma begins: Long ago, on a cold December morning near what is now Mexico City, a man named Juan Diego put on his cloak and started down the road to church. On his way, Juan Diego sees a beautiful Lady at the top of a hill. She tells Juan Di ...more
Published December 11th 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Beautiful Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beautiful Lady

Jenna Langemeier
1. The connection I made with this book is a text-to-world connection. At the beginning of the story, two young girls are admiring a statue of "Our Lady of Guadalupe" in their grandmother's house. A few years ago I went on a trip to Mexico with my family and we went on some tours to see some of the historical landmarks in Mexico. We stopped at some gift shops along the way and I saw many of the same kind of statues of "Our Lady of Guadalupe". Even the restaurants we ate at had those statues up o ...more
Tina RWG3
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it
The Beautiful Lady takes place in Mexico City about cultural, the religious and study of the devotion of Our Lady of Guadalupe is statue of the Virgin Mary and her request to Juan Diego for building a church for her. The story begins a man name is Juan Diego. He sees a beautiful lady at the top of the hill. I was impressed by a little girl, when she was talking to her grandmother. Her teaching the kids how to make paper flowers to put around her statue. I impressed in the story when a man has pr ...more
Kate
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nice, simple version of the story of Juan Diego - could definitely work for storytime, esp. if you cut out the grandmother-telling-the-story part. Illustrations are OK. Also has a craft tie in: grandma teaches the kids how to make paper flowers as she tells the story. Pat Mora thought of everything!
Crystal
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Child friendly story of Our Lady of Guadalupe. I would have loved to have the cookie recipe and instructions for making the flowers.
Donna
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-stuff
Nicely illustrated children's book about the legend of Our Lady of Guadalupe. It nudged me into doing a little research into the history of the story.
Rob Chappell
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a nice retelling of the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe, the first apparition of the Virgin Mary in the Americas, dating back to December 1531. I would recommend this book for reading aloud to young children or for reading by students in the elementary grades. Although the story is well told, and the artwork is done in an authentic style that emphasizes its cultural context, this book would definitely leave me wanting to learn more about the apparition and its tremendous impact on Latin A ...more
Patricia
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are very pretty. Naturally the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe is amazing. The story it is presented in was cute. I agree with the other reviewer that a photo of the actual tilma would have made this story book truly amazing. I would also add that prayers to Our Lady of Guadalupw would have been very nice as well. I've posted several below including a Novena (last)

First Prayer:
Memorare

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary of Guadalupe, that in thy celestial apparitions on the mo
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Esta cuenta es preciosa. Fue escritó para niños y explica la historía de la Virgen de Guadalupe. Fue escritó originalmente en inglés y traducido al español. Después de la cuenta hay unas paginas de no ficción que explica más de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe.

I read this book in Spanish, but it was originally written in English. It is a children's book explaining the Virgin of Guadalupe. A nice addition is a couple of pages that are a nonfiction accounting of the tradition of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
Bayne Marrs
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: t-l-307
I am embarrassed to admit that I was unaware of this holiday before I read the book. This would be a great book to read on December 9th-12th each year as some students in class may celebrate The Day of the Virgin of Guadalupe and those who do not can learn about a new celebration.
2012
Multicultural
Cmeiss330
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful rendering of the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
Chandler Cash
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I think The Beautiful Lady: Our Lady of Guadalupe is a very well written book. Its illustrations are very beautiful and fill up the whole page. I think overall its a nice story that is insightful and shows a great connection between a young lady and her learning about her culture through an elder. The Author is also very descriptive in her words that it would be easy to just read the words and you could get a vivid picture in your mind about what is happening.

I think for the classroom this would
Shelli
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I had never heard the religious story of Our Lady Guadalupe, or the persistent believer who went again and again to the bishop asking him to build a church for their saint on the hill. This book was beautifully illustrated and a nice read to share with my daughter. I enjoy reading about other people’s cultures and beliefs, brings a better understanding of the different people in this big o' world.
Nancy
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Every December, Grandma tells Rosa the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Long ago, a villager saw a beautiful lady floating. When the man told the bishop about it, the bishop demanded proof. But what proof could the villager provide? After all, the woman was long gone. This is a beautiful tale of a miracle from years ago.
Sharon Lawler
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
In this simple story, a grandmother relates the story of Juan Diego and the appearance of Our Lady of Guadalupe to him, an event which is celebrated every December in many roman Catholic parishes. I was confused by the LOC subject headings, most of which had "fiction" as a subfield.
Kelli
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cultures, author
This is the story of the appearance of a beautiful lady radiating light, who asked the peasant Juan Diego to approach the bishop about building a temple for her. Our Lady of Guadalupe is a powerful symbol to many people of Latin America. Here is how one family commemorates this event.
Shannon
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
As a Catholic (sort of) and a teacher of primarily Latino students, I'm a bit embarrassed to say I'd never heard the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Now I have. I wanted more back matter.
Lorenzo Dominguez
Amazing

Great book for believers of the virgin Mary. It's we love you jesus
A really nice book. Of God love
Jane
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read it with my boy. He loved it, he was so curious to know what happened, would Juan Diego be able to convince the bishop?
Robin
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Simple retelling of the story of Juan Diego and Our Lady of Guadalupe. I only wish Pat Mora had included a photograph of the tilma in the Basilica.
Edward Sullivan
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lovely, simple version of the story of Juan Diego and his vision of the Virgin Mary in Mexico in 1531. Framing the narrative with the grandmother telling the story seems superfluous.
Jim
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i never knew who this was or why the veneration- glad to have found this beautifully illustrated book.
Susie
Alana
Mar 25, 2013
Chris
Sep 28, 2017
Pat Mora (born 1942) is a female Mexican-American author and poet. Pat Mora was born in El Paso, Texas. She is married and has 3 grown children.
More about Pat Mora