Start by marking “Goethe's Faust (Parts I and II)” as Want to Read:
Goethe's Faust (Parts I and II)

Goethe's Faust (Goethe's Faust #1-2)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  22,180 Ratings  ·  869 Reviews
Goethe's most complex and profound work, Faust was the effort of the great poet's entire lifetime. Written over a period of sixty years, it can be read as a document of Goethe's moral and artistic development. As a drama drawn from an immense variety of cultural and historical material, set in a wealth of poetic and theatrical traditions, it can be read as the story of Wes ...more
Published 1908 by Everyman's Library (first published 1832)

To ask other readers questions about Goethe's Faust, please sign up.

Robin Goodfellow It is, indeed, a play.

It is, indeed, a play.

However, there are textual aspects that simply could not be conveyed short of having an added narrator reading stages directions aloud.

As I was reading, it did strike me that these elements were interesting -- showing the author was aware that one would have to be reading the play to give any purpose to the inclusion of certain parts (albeit rather small parts).

I'll also add, that it would make for a strange and awkward play, taken in it's totality. Part 2 is a psychadelic trip in many ways.(less)

Roy Lotz
Hey Professor, I could use a hand,
I just read a play I didn’t understand.

Professor:
And what was this play, pray?

Student:
Faust, the one you assigned the other day.
I simply can’t wrap my mind around it;
I read it carefully, but I am left confounded.

Professor:
I have, alas, studied philosophy,
Literature, history, and poetry.
I have some time that I can set aside;
So I will do my best to be your guide.

Student:
Gosh, thanks! So where should I start?
I suppose at the most conspicuous part:
The langua
Huda Yahya
الرائع في فاوست غوته هي هذه اللغة العصية على الوصف
هذا السحر النابع من فلسفته
وهذه التصاوير البارعة التي حيرت عقول أجيال تتبعها أجيال

من هو فاوست؟
من هو ذلك الرجل الذي حير ودوخ مع أسطورته أو حقيقته أشهر المفكرين والأدباء والفنانين

أهو هذا..؟

وبرغم ذلك فهناك شكوك تحو
Fernando
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Si puedes alguna vez mentirme de tal modo
que llegue a estar contento de mí mismo,
si con placeres engañarme puedes,
¡que sea ese para mí el último día!
¡Tal es la apuesta que propongo!"

Cuando uno lee un clásico del calibre literario filosófico que tiene el "Fausto", sabe de primera mano que tendrá que tener todos sus sentidos bien alerta. Al igual que con Don Quijote, La Divina Commedia, El Decamerón, El Paraíso Perdido o los clásicos griegos y latinos, Ilíada, Odisea y Eneida, la concentración de
Ahmad Sharabiani
Faust, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe's Faust is a tragic play in two parts usually known in English as Faust, Part One and Faust, Part Two. Although rarely staged in its entirety, it is the play with the largest audience numbers on German-language stages. Faust is considered by many to be Goethe's magnum opus and the greatest work of German literature.
عنوانها: فاوست؛ تراژدی فاوست و زندگینامه یوهان ولفگانگ فن گوته؛ نویسنده: گوته؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ماه آوریل سال 1991 میلاد
Aubrey
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'

-Percy Bysshe Shelley, 'Ozymandias'

Wer immer strebend sich bemüht,
Den können wir erlösen.
("Who ever strives with all his power,
We are allowed to save.")

-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Faust
In Faust, the name of the game is passion. Passion for learning, passion for love, passion for life in all its forms and facets. The deprivation of passion by the slow grind of facts and figures and hypocrisy, the boons of inheritan
Luís C.
I hesitated prior to posting my opinion. This work was deeply upset. Yet this appearance so common text: A wager between God and Mephistopheles, the Doctor Faust will be the target, is aptly brilliant!

Many concepts are echoed in today's society, to believe that Goethe was a visionary. The dialogue is so rich in meaning, at every rereading a hidden meaning appears.
This work of a lifetime seems to have the same playing time a human life: the beginning takes time to define himself, everything falls
Carlos
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Libro escrito en dos partes y escritas en tiempos diferentes. Debido a esto, la segunda parte no es tan buena como la primera. Incluso los textos son muchas veces cambiados por el mismo Goethe (Según leí por ahí).
Los monólogos de Fausto -sobre todo al principio- son geniales y la historia es buena. Hay una canción de un grupo chileno llamado "La Ley" que se llama "Fausto", y su frase principal es: Negociaría mi alma por tenerte cerca y darte mi eternidad. Me recordó totalmente este personaje.
Por
Nikos Tsentemeidis
Δε φανταζόμουν ότι πρόκειται για ένα τόσο σπουδαίο έργο. Το κατατάσσω σε αξία δίπλα στα ομηρικά έπη, ίσως και στη Θεία Κωμωδία (που όμως δεν έχω διαβάσει ακόμα).

Είναι εντυπωσιακό και στα νοήματά του, αλλά και ποιητική του μορφή. Είμαι σίγουρος ότι η μετάφραση-απόδοση είναι εξαιρετική, γιατί τηρείται παντού η ομοιοκαταληξία, βέβαια θα είχε πολύ ενδιαφέρον να διαβάσω και το αυθεντικό κείμενο, φυσικά όταν βελτιώσω τα γερμανικά μου.

Σπουδαίος ο Γκαίτε για τη Γερμανία, αλλά και γενικά για την παγκόσμι
Ghofran
Jul 18, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pdf
ترجمة سخيفة وجمل ثقيلة ونقلات مربكة بين الفصول بل وبداخل الفصل الواحد
لم أجد فيها أي شيء مبهر ولا أي فكر يجعلها تحتل هذه المكانة العالمية في الأدب
الرجل الذي باع روحه للشيطان !!!
أين العبقرية منذ بدء الخليقة والبشر لم يكفوا عن بيع ارواحهم للشيطان من أجل شهوات الدنيا والسعادة الابدية
أين الفلسفة ؟
وما هى الفكرة التي انفردت بها المسرحية العالمية ؟
ألم تختصر قصة آدم وإبليس هذه المسرحية الحمقاء
وتوضح فلسلفة العلاقة بين الانسان وشهواته
وبين الشيطان والإنسان
وحتى لو سلمت بعبقرية الفكرة
اي متعة في قراءة ش
Chris_P
Here I am, a speck of flesh and bones in the vast ocean of time, rating and attempting to review this timeless masterpiece of classic literature. I guess artists are doomed to be eternally judged by those to whom their work is exposed, even centuries after their time. You think Goethe even imagined that after two and a half centuries a Greek nobody would "not-talk" about his Faust in a "non-place" called internet? I know I may be getting a bit weird here but hey, I just read Faust. What did you ...more
No he podido con él 2 9 Dec 31, 2016 04:56PM
Around the Year i...: Faust, by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe 1 14 Aug 27, 2016 03:49PM
Faust 7 42 Feb 24, 2014 12:27PM
  • The Barber of Seville / The Marriage of Figaro / The Guilty Mother
  • Maria Stuart
  • Miss Julie and Other Plays
  • The Misanthrope/ Tartuffe
  • Jin Ping Mei (the Golden Lotus)
  • The Journey to the West, Volume 1 (Journey to the West)
  • Das Buch der Lieder
  • The Wild Ass's Skin
  • The Visit
  • Doctor Faustus
  • Diwan Al Hallaj
  • Selected Poetry of William Wordsworth
  • The Nibelungenlied
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe was a German writer. George Eliot called him "Germany's greatest man of letters... and the last true polymath to walk the earth." Goethe's works span the fields of poetry, drama, literature, theology, humanism, and science. Goethe's magnum opus, lauded as one of the peaks of world literature, is the two-part drama Faust. Goethe's other well-known literary works include h ...more
More about Johann Wolfgang von Goethe...

Goethe's Faust (3 books)
  • Faust: First Part
  • Faust, Part Two
  • Faust: Ein Fragment [Band Enthalt Auch "Jery Und Bately. Ein Singspiel" Und "Scherz, List Und Rache. Ein Singspiel"]
“Two souls, alas, are housed within my breast,
And each will wrestle for the mastery there.”
61 likes
“من هرگز در حسرت بال پرندگان نخواهم بود. جذبه های جانم، از کتابی به کتاب دیگر و از صفحه ای به صفحه ی دیگر مرا به جاهای بسیار دورتر می برند.” 50 likes