Start by marking “Second-Act Careers: 50+ Ways to Profit from Your Passions During Semi-Retirement” as Want to Read:

A career guide that rethinks the golden years, this handbook offers 50+ income models for creating flexible, fulfilling, and profitable work during the encore stage of one’s career.

RETHINK YOUR RETIREMENT

For many people, retirement is no longer a trifecta of golf, grandkids, and gardening— it’s an opportunity for new pursuits that involve both earning income and explori
Published January 8th 2013 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Second-Act Careers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second-Act Careers

Start your review of Second-Act Careers: 50+ Ways to Profit from Your Passions During Semi-Retirement
Keith Swenson
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a good book for someone who has worked hard for 30 years, and is looking for a change without necessarily stopping working. It is easy to read, well organized, and filled with lots of useful, pragmatic advice. The last part is a 40 page self-questionnaire where you can write down your feeling and help to guide your actions. Lots of references on where else to go for further information.

A friend had this book on his shelf. He was looking to make a change in his career, was reevaluating wh
Jay
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, retirement
I found this to be a positive change of pace from the run of the mill retirement finance books I've read recently. It is an optimistic read, giving suggestions of possible "second act" careers in a wide variety of areas. While not recommending jobs of the "cricket rancher" variety, this book did have some jobs I never realized existed, such as a "life celebrant". I learned quite a bit throughout the book. The author includes (almost always) three internet links for further information on careers ...more
Connor Joyce
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Includes great online and local resources to help you transition into a new, more fulfilling career.

I always thought it was strange that nobody transitioned into retirement by going part time and this book makes it clear that it's a real possibility to do so.

I fully plan on semi retiring at age 45 or sooner if finances allow.

I'd recommend this book to anybody who is planning on retiring. Even if you are 20 years out (like me)!
Ann Balfour
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read for those looking at their second act

I rated this book as a 5 star because the author has provided good content to help you think about your second act. In addition to content there are a lot of different resources that have been included to help you continue your investigation about what you want to pursue. Very useful book and worth the time to read.
Bethe
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fict
Interesting book jam packed with information and inspiration for finding a post retirement career. A wide spectrum of potential ideas is offered and how to prepare for them, a survey to examine your interests and strengths, and a plethora of resources. If only the author would tell me what I want to do when I grow up? Or just not grow up?
Marie
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-boomers
"Learn to grow.
Recognize that adversity can lead to opportunity.
Plan for serendipity.
Adopt an opportunity seeker mindset.
Attitude trumps ability.
Appreciate your age as an advantage.
Change is a constant, so embrace it.
Perseverance pays off.
Fear is inevitable, but you can overcome it.
Education is the single best antidote for fear."

Rick
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As I approach the beginning this book as well as the authors blog will prove to be invaluable tools on the journey to my second act careers whatever it or they may be. Filled with anecdotes of those you have gone before to find even more fulfilling in their twilight years so there's hope for us all. If you're there give it a read. ...more
Glen Leavens
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Insightful. Good book, especially part II about thinking! I like the job section. The questions at the end are even better.
Donna Quinlan
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for someone that is looking to transition to another career, especially in semiretirement, although many of the careers ideas can be used by anyone. I loved that there were many resources to further exploration in an area of interest.
Mrspam4ever
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a very useful giveaway, and I will add it to the library. Many people nowadays need extra income for various reasons and this book will be very helpful in finding ways to make that extra income doing things you already do or enjoy doing:)
Anna
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Another book that I mostly scanned. Some very useful information, but frankly, there was a lot of information that either didn't pertain to my current situation, or contained careers/career types in which I was not interested. Perhaps I'll revisit it in another decade or so... ...more
Jared
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you're over 50, in good financial condition, and looking for "what's next" in work, this book seems like a great resource.

There is information on a different types of work to consider, how to help clarify your thoughts on what matter to you, and lots of links to more specific resources.
Bill
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: retirement
One of the very best books for early retirees seeking both guidance and reassurance in pursuing a second-act career. Rich in content and comprehensive. Full of links to further information.
John Walker
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lot of familiar information; however, I was able to generate a starting list and am taking time to do the worksheets which makes it a better than expected read.
Adrienne
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
A few good ideas & several good resources
Jeffrey Prillwitz
Tracey
Nov 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Hideaway
  • Countdown 1945: The Extraordinary Story of the 116 Days that Changed the World
  • The Fifties
  • If I Did It: Confessions of the Killer
  • Working Fire
  • Skipping Christmas
  • Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity
  • Life Debt (Star Wars: Aftermath, #2)
  • Ahsoka (Star Wars)
  • America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction
  • Heir to the Empire (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #1)
  • Wreckage
  • Empire's End (Star Wars: Aftermath, #3)
  • Perfectly Impossible
Nancy Collamer, M.S., is a career coach, speaker and author of Second-Act Careers: 50+ Ways to Profit from Your Passions During Semi-Retirement. She writes a weekly blog about careers on the new PBS website, NextAvenue.org and on Forbes.com.

In private practice since 1996, Nancy gained national prominence as the Career Transitions columnist for Oxygen Media. Her advice has been featured in numerous