Start by marking “Jurassic Park” as Want to Read:
Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  680,568 Ratings  ·  8,764 Reviews
From the author of Timeline, Sphere, and Congo, this is the classic thriller of science run amok that took the world by storm.

An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now humankind’s most thrilling fantasies have come true. Creatures extinct for eons roam Jurassic Park with their awesome presence and profound mystery, and all th
Published May 14th 2012 by Ballantine Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Jurassic Park, please sign up.

Beverly Cooper This book blows the movie "out dah window!" It is definitely written for a more intelligent audience, especially Crichton's explanation of the "Chaos…moreThis book blows the movie "out dah window!" It is definitely written for a more intelligent audience, especially Crichton's explanation of the "Chaos Theory" and it's use in creating the, er, "dinosaurs..."
The book depicts the characters completely different than the movie does, in terms of their importance, personalities, relationships to the overall story and each other,etc. Actually, once you begin reading it, you may not be able to put it down literally - I know I couldn't... (less)
Bob Buchko Possibly. It has some swearing and definitely some gore and violence. Nothing sexual in it, though. It might be a little bit mature for a ten year…morePossibly. It has some swearing and definitely some gore and violence. Nothing sexual in it, though. It might be a little bit mature for a ten year old, but it's a close call. (less)

This is one of my favorite books of all time!!!

I was way excited back then, 20 years ago, about the movie (minus the controversial scene portraiting San José, Costa Rica with a beach in the middle of it). Trust me. I am from Costa Rica and I live precisely in San José and we don't have a dang beach around.

I am sure that Spielberg wouldn't do that kind of mistake if he'd need to portrait Paris, France, but a dang capital city in a third world country? Who cares?

Well, I care, I am from that prec
Wendy Darling
Rereading for obvious reasons. :D :D :D :D
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brad by: James Davie
I always seem to forget how good Jurassic Park is. I blast through it once every few years, throw it on my shelf and the distance slowly makes me derisive, and then something forces me to pick it up again when my brain needs a little peanut butter and jelly dipped in hot chocolate, and I am forced to admit that Jurassic Park is a damn fine novel.

Sure it's packed with Michael Crichton's usual band of screenplay-adaptation-friendly archetypes, sure it derives much of its plot and thought from Art
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at:

Commercial Photography

It all begins with a billionaire who has a big imagination and a lot of spare money lying around. By dro
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

So, straight to it. Jurassic Park, the book, is inimitable, apart from a few clumsy attempts. One thing that differentiated it from its wannabes is that, unlike books about sharks, snakes or let's say, zombies, dinosaurs come in very varied shapes. This means that the way the casualties meet their end is just as variable.

Michael Crichton props up his last act with inspired flair and experienced cunning. He knows that the action in this book will go only so far, just like last acts in an all out
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Science-at-the-brink-of-chaos fiction. Nonlinear dynamics had barely been invented, and yet here it was, gracing each chapter with a foreboding message of disintegration.

Not literature, not amazing prose, but a true edge-of-your-seat thriller.

Lola  Reviewer
Dec 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish

DNF. The movie is better.
Apr 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
At the risk of offending what looks to be all my male goodreads friends who loved this (none of my female friends have read it, which is remarkable but probably not random), I couldn't finish it. It wasn't the multiple viewpoints or so-so prose, it was the science. I worked for awhile as an assistant paleontologist--field, prep, and curating--and I promise you, pretty much everything in the first 50 pages on this topic is wrong. I wasn't loving the book anyway, and kept finding random factual er ...more
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-review, audio, 2015
I can't believe how much I enjoyed this book. I guess I've always had my reservations because of what an impact the movie had on me as a kid. I was about 9 or 10 when the movie first came out and it blew my mind. As the book likes to point out, boys love dinosaurs and that was true.

As a side note, I'm loving how much my son (5 y.o.) loves dinosaurs. He knows so much more about them than I do, in fact his favorite is the Giganotosaurus, a dinosaur I learned existed from him.

(the hipster's T-Rex)

Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Discovery, they believe, is inevitable. So they just try to do it first. That's the game in science.”
-------------- Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park

All the Dinosaurs feared the T-Rex
------ Wade Wilson, Deadpool (2016)

Velociraptor, he’s gonna find ya
He’s gonna kill ya, he’s gonna eat ya
----- "Velociraptor", Kasabian

Welcome..... to Jurassic Park

I remember back when I was a kid, my dad rented this VHS (yes, the legendary VHS was real, young ones) cassette of an English movie. I think I was seven
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As is most frequently the case, the book was better than the film.

And it was a really cool movie. Directed by Stephen Spielberg.

The section of Universal theme park in Orlando is fun too.

Michael Crichton’s 1990 genetically powered biological thriller combines an action packed adventure story with a cautionary tale of corporate, capitalistic greed gone wrong and rolls it all into a humanistic story with excellent characterization and that could be read as a powerful allegory of the harsh realities
The Kindle (25th Anniversary) edition is currently uber cheap: $0.64 in the States, £0.49p in the UK and $2.99 in Canada. I read the hardcover copy, about two decades ago - and if I was able to rate it at that juncture, I would have given it 4★
Nandakishore Varma
What do you say about a concept that has become iconic? Jurassic Park has grown beyond Crichton's novel, into a movie, into a theme park attraction, into a thousand types of paraphernalia... In fact, it has become so popular that we forget the original work this concept came from.

I saw the movie first. It is a marvel of special effects and unbearably suspenseful. The book is nothing like that.

This novel is a serious work of science fiction. As with Crichton's other novels, the research is so det
Will M.
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another masterpiece by Crichton. Can't believe it took me years to finally pick this one up and read it.

I watched the movie adaptation when I was a kid, so I can't really remember much of the plot other than dinosaurs gone wild, and I'm sure I remember an elevator scene. Aside from those, I had no idea what was in store for me before I read this. I wasn't hesitant on reading this, but my really long TBR list was the reason why I didn't read this sooner than I should have. All I can say is that
Vane J.
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on Books With Chemistry

Well, everyone knows what this is about, but for this review to make sense, I’m going to suppose you all live in caves and have never heard about the existence of Jurassic Park.

Everything starts with a billionaire that wants more money. It has been discovered that extincted animals can be cloned and, in a way, brought back to life. He uses this to buy a remote island in Costa Rica and build a theme park that features the famous dinosaurs. Things, however,
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the movie
Recommended to Brandon by: Alaina
Shelves: fiction, syfy, 2015
"Scientists are actually preoccupied with accomplishment. So they are focused on whether they can do something. They never stop to ask if they should do something."

In 1993, Steven Spielberg brought dinosaurs to life on the big screen. At the time, Jurassic Park was so immensely popular that I would be shocked to find someone today who hasn't seen it. Now, with the forthcoming release of Jurassic World, dinosaurs are all the rage again. During a routine trip to the book store, I picked up both Ju
Ashley Daviau
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little hesitant to read this book because I have such an immense love and appreciation for the movies. But I'm glad to say that I think I may have enjoyed the book MORE than the movies! Which is really saying something because Jurassic Park is one of my all time fave movies!

The only thing that stopped it from being five stars is that I found the beginning a bit slow to start. There was a lot of explanation and set up and I found it a tad boring if I'm being honest. But I can see how it
Kostas Papadatos
Σίγουρα ένα μέρος το οποίο θα ήθελα να μεταφερθώ έστω και για λίγο, είναι ο κόσμος του Jurassic Park που έχτισε ο Michael Crichton. Ναι, γνωρίζω πως ανά πάσα στιγμή θα μπορούσαν να ρουφήξουν τους χυμούς μου κουνούπια με μέγεθος πελεκάνου, ώστε να ικανοποιήσουν τη δίψα τους ή να κολλήσω στο τεράστιο πέλμα ενός Βραχιόσαυρου. Who cares όμως. Δεινόσαυροι φίλε, δεινόσαυροι.
Όπως και ναχει, έναν ήρεμο καφέ στο πάρκο, καθισμένος σταυροπόδι, θα προλάβαινα να τον πάρω.

Καταπληκτικό βιβλίο που περνά ουσιώδη
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
«Ξέρεις, πόσο απίθανο είναι να φύγεις εσύ ή οποιοσδήποτε από εμάς ζωντανός απ’ αυτό το νησί;»
Κλασικός απολαυστικός Crihton, ο οποίος μας έχει συνηθίσει στο να συνδυάζει, τις επιστημονικές πληροφορίες, την άκρατη περιπέτεια και δράση και τα γεμάτα στοχασμό νοήματα, τα οποία συνήθως έχουν να κάνουν με την υπερβολή της επιστήμης και την αυτοκαταστροφική τάση του δυτικού πολιτισμού.
«Η επιστήμη πάντα έλεγε ότι μπορεί να μην ξέρει τώρα τι κάνει αλλά τελικά θα το μάθει. Σήμερα βλέπουμε ότι αυτό δεν είν
Jr Bacdayan

Imagine yourself a prey, being hunted by the one of the most deadliest predators that ever roamed the earth. The Tyrannosaurus Rex. About 30 feet of pure muscle with a massive head that contains the biggest set of teeth that could turn your flesh and bones into mush in one bite.

You are trapped. You have nowhere to go. Your entire body is shaking.

You might or might not have peed in y
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stars-4-0, 2017
Like many, I loved the film, and indeed its sequels. Who doesn’t like dinosaurs and rip-roaring adventure? I hadn’t however read the book that started it all...

Going through the pages, I couldn’t help trying to find the scenes that I knew so well. Most are there, but indeed in a different form due to the medium, the same applying to the characters. What fun to hear Malcolm’s Chaos theories and witness Grant’s survival!

This is a compelling thriller with a brilliant theme but somehow, having been
Dany Burns
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Before I start my book review a have to say that i have never seen the movie, Jurassic Park. I have no idea how I haven't watched it yet, and I definitely want to watch it now that I have read the book, but this review will not be comparing the two since I have not seen the movie. I did really like this book a lot. I thought that the idea was really well executed and very entertaining. I know not everyone may like this but I loved all the information about genetics and chaos theory. I think th ...more

Ah, Jurassic Park, a keystone moment in movie history where dinosaurs were brought to the silver screen in such an indelible way. I don't think it would be inaccurate to say the movie franchise (especially with the most recent entry of Jurassic World) has significantly overshadowed the book. Heck, I only just got to reading it now, 23 years after the movie was released. Having recently seen the movie, I was struck by the differences between the novel and the movie. Some changes were welcomed, ot
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
I originally noticed this audiobook as a Youtube upload off to the side as I was listening to Prisoner of Azkaban for the umpteenth time. I've got The Lost World at home and I've never seen the films (not completely, anyway), so I figured Why the hell not? I haven't been a ginormous fan of dinosaurs since I was about ten, but this book cured that so quick. I was instantly back in my kid-mindset when they were first discussing the park. Just the thought of SEEING these enormous beasts had me droo ...more
J.G. Keely
With Crichton, it is always a gamble whether whatever strange and new idea has latched onto will overcome his overbearing personality. His assurance that science will always go wrong makes for easy potboiler plots, but you do get the feeling that if he were a caveman, he would mistrust a sharpened stick.

Crichton's sensationalism and misuse of scientific concepts has made him untrustworthy as a guide on any serious issue, but in the case of runaway dinosaurs, we do not need to heed his warnings a
Ellen Gail
"Because the history of evolution is that life escapes all barriers. Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way."

Four dinolicious stars!

This summer as Jurassic World was rawring into theaters everywhere, my best friend confessed something to me; she had never seen Jurassic Park. Or any of the sequels. I decided that we could no longer be friends.

I kid. But seriously, Jurassic Park was the defining movie of my childhood. Every time
Ahmad Sharabiani
Jurassic park: a novel (Jurassic Park #1), Michael Crichton
Jurassic Park is a 1990 science fiction novel written by Michael Crichton, divided into seven sections (iterations). A cautionary tale about genetic engineering, it presents the collapse of an amusement park showcasing genetically recreated dinosaurs to illustrate the mathematical concept of chaos theory and its real world implications. A sequel titled The Lost World, also written by Crichton, was published in 1995. In 1997, both novels
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, so where to begin?
I read this book for the first time when I was in 12th grade. We had to choose a book for a book report and I thought this would make a nice change from all the classics.
Moreover, I've been a fan of the movie ever since I was a wee lass because I always had a thing for dinosaurs (the history and science behind it, the speculation, me being interested in fauna and flora in general) - other girls liked ponies, I preferred raptors.

I remember being quite surprised about the di
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
First ABORT MISSION of 2016.

I'm being a lot less strict about my ABORT MISSION shelf this year than I have been I the past- and that's just what I call my DNF shelf, by the by. I'm just starting to realise how many wonderful books there are out there, and how enormous my TBR is, and all of that just makes me feel better about ditching books that I know are just going to get 2 stars from me if I finish them.

However, I still force myself to get to at least page 100, and to stick it out and give th
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
"Welcome... to Jurassic Park!"

Stars, I loved the movie! And yet it took me 3 whole months to finish the book.

Now I don't remember much, just waiting for it to end. Maybe that's because I saw the movie as a little kid, and numerous times growing up. So every time I read it, I just wished to see the film again.

What I did like was the ending which is quite different from the movie. John Hammond's fate felt as some kind of payment for all he did and would continue doing, given the chance.

It is u
For Love of a Book: Jurrassic Park - Buddy Read March 16 20 17 hours, 20 min ago
Play Book Tag: Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton (4 1/2 stars) 4 14 Jan 27, 2018 04:32AM
Round and Flat Characters 3 47 Jan 09, 2018 11:57PM
Michael Crichton ...: Jurrassic Park Discussion - December 2015 BOTM 6 27 Dec 20, 2017 11:20AM
Lex 41 361 Nov 16, 2017 08:22AM
  • Raptor Red
  • The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan Universe, #4)
  • Tyrannosaur Canyon (Wyman Ford #1)
  • The Survivors of the Chancellor (Extraordinary Voyages, #13)
  • Iron Fist (Star Wars: X-Wing, #6)
  • The Last Command (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #3)
  • The Trench (MEG, #2)
  • The Fall of Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #2)
  • Jaws
  • The Hutt Gambit (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #2)
  • 2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2)
  • Contact
  • Ice Hunt
  • Terminator 2: Judgment Day
  • The Krytos Trap (Star Wars: X-Wing, #3)
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • Utopia
  • Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern (Pern, #7)
Michael Crichton (1942–2008) was one of the most successful novelists of his generation, admired for his meticulous scientific research and fast-paced narrative. He graduated summa cum laude and earned his MD from Harvard Medical School in 1969. His first novel, Odds On (1966), was written under the pseudonym John Lange and was followed by seven more Lange novels. He also wrote as Michael Dougla ...more
More about Michael Crichton...

Jurassic Park (2 books)
  • The Lost World (Jurassic Park, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Great Pursuit (Eurona Duology, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Crown (The Selection, #5)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $10.29 $2.99
  • Neverwhere
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Reamde
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Shadow of Empire (Far Star Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Welcome to Night Vale
    $7.49 $2.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
“God creates dinosaurs, God kills dinosaurs, God creates man, man kills God, man brings back dinosaurs.” 350 likes
“The planet has survived everything, in its time. It will certainly survive us.” 320 likes