Start by marking “Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1)

Killer Twist

(Ghostwriter Mystery #1)

With slick black hair, tortoise-shell glasses and a penchant for cheap Merlot, Roxy Parker is a sassy new female detective … except she’s not strictly a detective. Rather, she’s a writer with a taste for the morbid and mysterious—and this time her little sideline may get her in way over her head …

In the first book of the Ghostwriter Mystery series, Roxy is hired to ghostwr
Nook, 234 pages
Published August 8th 2011 by Christina Larmer, via Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Killer Twist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killer Twist

Brenda

Ghostwriter, journalist and part time sleuth – that was Roxy Parker’s claim to fame. Her writing assignments were generally mild; but occasionally she could use her investigative instincts and find juicer stories. Her current assignment was writing the memoirs of wealthy heiress Beatrice Musgrave; she was still in the interviewing stage and though Beatrice was a lovely old lady, the story of her life was quite mundane. Until Beatrice told Roxy she had a secret to divulge at their next m
Rhonda
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: archived
I won't break down the actual story, as that has been done in the product description and in other reviews, but I'm happy to share my opinions:

Roxy Parker is a compelling character and I couldn't help but adore her. She's 30, hip, very inquisitive, and fiercely independent. She has a head-butting relationship with her somewhat overbearing buttinksy mother but dutifully tries to pacify her while maintaining her independence. Her dear friend, Max, is a great character too. While Roxy would like to
Kristi | Hidden Staircase |
This was a fun read, the first in the Ghostwriter series. I took to Roxy Parker right away. She's a ghostwriter, and when one of her clients supposedly commits suicide, Roxy doesn't believe it and starts to look into her client's untold story. A great cozy mystery, looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Bandmama (aka Lucy) - Claiming Mitch as mine
This one's a keeper. I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end and was completely caught off guard when I found out who done it. Lot's of twists and turns, rich characters, and a budding love story. This is a fantastic first in a series.
I'mogén
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
So I enjoyed this more than I was expecting, which I'm happy about. I think I received this through a free instafreebie thing. Honestly, if I did have to pay I probably wouldn't have read this, as bad as it sounds, because it's not something I'd naturally gravitate too. However I'm glad I did read it because I did enjoy it, but in saying that the story didn't make my heart race or anything.
Roxy, our main character, was fun to read from but I feel like she did some seriously stupid things that ki
Lisa
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have to admit better than I thought it would be. It kept me
guessing and what a surprise ending.
Donna
Quick and entertaining. Sort of a cozy but with a little bit of an edge. I liked Roxy as a character and the plot had plenty of, mostly believable, twists and turns. Liked the Australian setting too. I'll look for more in this series.
Sara
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-on-my-kindle
Did not see the twist at the end coming! Great read and look forward to reading the next in this series.
Sheila
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Set in Australia, C.A. Larmer’s Killer Twist offers fascinatingly detailed locations, and an intriguing female protagonist with a solidly believable character. Protagonist Roxy is a ghostwriter, and I never knew ghostwriting could be so lucrative or so dangerous. Though, to be fair, the danger might come from the writing of magazine articles too, or anything else she’s recently tackled. (I want to learn her job.)

Roxy’s agent’s got her back. A stranger’s hand slaps her back, sending her flying in
V L
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read!

KILLER TWIST is well written and an intriguing read. Just when one has it “figured out”, a red herring or a plot twist would be thrown in to confuse, frustrate and encourage the reader to continue reading. A must read! Be sure to get the other five books in the series, then discover the other book in other genres she has written.
Mary Pummill
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Killer Twist (A Ghostwriter Mystery Book 1)

A book that had many twists. Hard to tell where it was going and who was involved. A surprising ending that did not disappoint you. You were definitely not ready to put the book down
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wasn't sure after chapter 1 that I'd like it and found, as I got more into the book, that it became more interesting.
What looks like several stories are intertwined. I did think that the perp was the perp but there was a very interesting wrinkle that made it a 'whoa' moment. Well done.
Jacqueline
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So Many Suspects, So Many Crimes

Great mystery filled with interesting characters, plot twists and fun dialogue. You keep thinking, "Hmm maybe her. Maybe him. What about ..." but it's doubtful you can get all the who, what, where, when and why figured out before the buzzer dings.
Julian White
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kobo - different cover.

An engaging read - again at least in part because of the setting (mainly Sydney). The protagonist is the ghostwriter of the series and seems determined to go her own way. I wasn't sure of the actual villains until close to the end (a number of possibilities were presented along the way, with varying plausibility) and this author is one worth following (if only for the glorious 'Agatha Christie Bookclub' series, which has one of the best titles ever!)
Valerie
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first of the series and if the rest in the series are on the same par that will be great. The story had a few twists that I didn't see coming and that added to the enjoyment.
SUE
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good story. The author gave us many clues through the book but never caught them. I kept pointing fingers at this character or that one, but never had it right.
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finished reading it like it was my job. Fun and swift, I got a kick out of it. Want to read the rest.
Karen
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the forth book in this series first and was so happy with it that I had to go back to the beginning and see where it all started. Surprisingly enough this book was just as good as the one I originally read. The only real complaint I have is that it lagged in the beginning, though it at least gave a little background on the main characters as it did so. Once it starts to move it does so at a nice pace that actually helps to build the suspense as it introduces more suspects. I found the dia ...more
Heather
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I so enjoyed this book! It's a quick read with just the right amount of humor and intrigue. The author does a wonderful job of guiding the reader through the events without hammering details or holding our hands. I liked that the main character was smart but had issues. I liked that the reader is given just enough information to grab onto the storylines and the relationships to make it through the book - but left with the "I want more" feeling to read the next book(s).

There were a few things th
Kat Lebo
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a fun first novel in a series by the author Christina Larmer. Larmer was born in Papua New Guinea and educated in Australia. She is the author of three books in the Ghostwriter series and one in the Agatha Christie Book Club series, plus the novel An Island Lost and the non-fiction book "A Measure of Papua New Guinea: The Arman Larmer Surveys Story.

At first I worried that the Australian idioms and slang used by the characters (the story takes place in Sydney) would throw me off, but af
Lynda
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, mysteries
Freelance, ghost writer Roxy Parker thought her writing abilities were being wasted on the continual saga of Beatrice Musgrave’s biography. The elderly woman promised enticing revelations which never seem to come forward. However, unexpected threats, muddled suspicions and death caught the observant Roxy in a mystery sure to keep her from getting bored.

Truly enjoyable writing, it was well-paced with a penchant for exquisite details adding dynamic vivid impressions of the characters, atmosphere,
Rick Bylina
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
C. A. Larmer has woven an intricate plot for "Killer Twist" that unfolded a bit too slowly for my taste, but was, nevertheless, well done overall. Once it got going, she threw in more twists than a Chubby Checker revival dance. I must confess I did catch on to the primary and secondary bad guys early in their introductions, but the reason why they did the nasty wasn't clear until the big reveal to Roxy Parker, the amateur sleuth who took risks I'd never be caught taking, especially at the end. T ...more
Beth
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-read, freebook
I've been on a bit of an Agatha kick, lately, and having just finished _Evil Under the Sun_ decided to take a break and read a quick novel I'd picked up for free on my Kindle - _Killer Twist_.

I finished this book last night, thinking, "A solid 3, 3 1/2." I enjoyed the story quite a bit, loved the characters, but to be honest, I am a grammar snob and comma splices here and there drive me nuts (not to mention the weird quotation marks). I also didn't know there were so many Australian colloquialis
Rhondda Powling
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is easy to read with a nicely constructed storyline and an engaging main character, Roxy Parker. It is also nice to have a "cosy" set in Australia, Sydney in this case.
Roxy is a quirky character, a writer who "ghosts" for others, writes an occasional journal article and has a healthy interest in crime news. She is sceptical when a well-known Sydney socialite, with whom she has been working, commits suicide. The police seem satisfied but Roxy is sure that this is not the right explanat
Sally
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Roxy Parker works as a freelance writer, sometimes doing ghostwriting for people that would like to publish their memoirs but can't string two words together. And so it is for the later reason she finds herself interviewing Beatrice Musgrave, a wealthy socialite with a deep secret that Beatrice has decided to finally tell. But someone doesn't want dear old Beattie telling all and arranges for her to conveniently fling herself over her balcony to the depths of the jagged rocks and ocean below. Ro ...more
Sandra Lopez
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Roxy Parker remains a “ghostly presence behind the scenes”—well, she’s a ghostwriter that writes and let’s others take the credit. Eh, it pays the bills.

But she longs to create “something wordy, something original, something she would want to read.” She doesn’t want to write anything boring. Ironic, because that’s how this book starts out.

Then she starts to receive threatening messages urging her to not write the story. But what story and who sent the message? Finally, somebody is found dead.
Peggy Holloway
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a crime fiction novel involving a young woman named Roxy Parker who is a ghost writer. It is part of a series but apparently they stand alone very well. This is the only one I have read and I enjoyed it very much. It is a typical who-done-it and will keep you guessing. The plot is well thought out and moves along at a good pace. There are twists and turns and it's surprising to find out about the relationships of the characters to one another. The main character is kind of like the Jessi ...more
Angie
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not one of my favorite books. The plot of the story was actually pretty good but I didn't really care for the way the book was written. It was oddly written in the 3rd person when the book is clearly revolving around the central female lead character and I felt should haven't been written from her point of view since we didn't really get anybody else's perspective throughout the book.

The writing style was pretty bland and it didn't really help drum up excitement for me. I do like the slight lov
Cheryl
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a ripper of a read and written by an Australian author. I love when I find a fellow countryman's work - it's interesting to recognise the places mentioned and is written with a certain Aussie charm which I can relate to.
The novel was charming in it's vernacular (language warning) and I would describe it as an adult or thinking man's cosy mystery. It has an engaging plotline with wonderful characters and lots of twists and turns to hold your attention. Thoroughly enjoyable and highly rec
Ashley
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I will admit that the main reasons for being drawn to this book were, A.) it was free on kindle, B.) I have a thing for mysteries, and C.) it takes place in and around Sydney, and having lived there I find myself quite homesick for it at times. Over all, I was not disappointed. The plot was quick paced, dialogue fun, and the characters believable. My mind was fully engaged in trying to figure out "whodunit", and there were several twists to keep me guessing. Roxy Parker makes a fun and intellige ...more
  • Bingo Barge Murder (A Shay O'Hanlon Caper, #1)
  • Murder Passes the Buck (Gertie Johnson, #1)
  • Down Home And Deadly  (Sleuthing Sisters Mystery #3)
  • Mew Is for Murder (Theda Krakow, #1)
  • Digging Up Death (Mari Duggins Mystery, #1)
  • Hot Chocolate
  • Pets in a Pickle
  • Murder on the Ghost Walk (Magnolia Mysteries, #1)
  • The Chronicles of Marr-nia (Short Stories Starring Barbara Marr)
  • Never Buried (Leigh Koslow Mystery #1)
  • Saints Preserve Us
  • A Body in the Backyard (Myrtle Clover Mysteries, #4)
  • Deadly Trio: 3 English Mysteries: Ice Blue, Blue Murder, Something Blue (Lord and Lady Hetheridge Mystery Series)
  • Dying to Get Published (Jennifer Marsh Mysteries, #1)
  • The Grave Gourmet (Capucine Culinary Mystery, #1)
  • For Love of Livvy (Esposito Mysteries, #1)
  • Classmate Murders (A Jim Richards Murder Mystery #1)
  • Clearwater Journals
The author of eleven books, Christina Larmer was born in tropical Papua New Guinea, educated in Australia and has lived and worked around the world including New York, Los Angeles and London. An editor by trade, she now freelances and writes fiction from her home in the East Coast hinterland of Australia, which she shares with her musician husband, two sons, random koalas and countless snakes.

Writ

Ghostwriter Mystery (6 books)
  • A Plot to Die For (Ghostwriter Mystery #2)
  • Last Writes (Ghostwriter Mystery #3)
  • Dying Words (A Ghostwriter Mystery #4)
  • Words Can Kill (A Ghostwriter Mystery #5)
  • A Note Before Dying (A Ghostwriter Mystery Book 6)
“Roxy had only known Beattie a month but she couldn’t see her carving off a woman’s fingers and then holding her down in the murky bay.” 0 likes