Start by marking “Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1)

Killer Twist

(Ghostwriter Mystery #1)

With slick black hair, tortoise-shell glasses and a penchant for cheap Merlot, Roxy Parker is a sassy new female detective … except she’s not strictly a detective. Rather, she’s a writer with a taste for the morbid and mysterious—and this time her little sideline may get her in way over her head …

In the first book of the Ghostwriter Mystery series, Roxy is hired to ghostwr
Nook, 234 pages
Published August 8th 2011 by Christina Larmer, via Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Killer Twist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killer Twist

Start your review of Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1)
Phrynne
Jul 21, 2020 rated it liked it
I read Book 2 before I read Book 1 in this series but it did not really make any difference, although the MC was lucky to survive this book at all judging by the foolish move she makes in the last chapters. Of course this was necessary in order to create an exciting finale.

It is a good story about a journalist who picks up clues the police do not have about a succession of murders. She justifies to herself why she does not share her information with the police and consequently solves the case b
Brenda

Ghostwriter, journalist and part time sleuth – that was Roxy Parker’s claim to fame. Her writing assignments were generally mild; but occasionally she could use her investigative instincts and find juicer stories. Her current assignment was writing the memoirs of wealthy heiress Beatrice Musgrave; she was still in the interviewing stage and though Beatrice was a lovely old lady, the story of her life was quite mundane. Until Beatrice told Roxy she had a secret to divulge at their next m
Rhonda
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: archived
I won't break down the actual story, as that has been done in the product description and in other reviews, but I'm happy to share my opinions:

Roxy Parker is a compelling character and I couldn't help but adore her. She's 30, hip, very inquisitive, and fiercely independent. She has a head-butting relationship with her somewhat overbearing buttinksy mother but dutifully tries to pacify her while maintaining her independence. Her dear friend, Max, is a great character too. While Roxy would like to
Kristi | Hidden Staircase |
This was a fun read, the first in the Ghostwriter series. I took to Roxy Parker right away. She's a ghostwriter, and when one of her clients supposedly commits suicide, Roxy doesn't believe it and starts to look into her client's untold story. A great cozy mystery, looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Bandmama (aka Lucy) - Claiming Mitch as mine
This one's a keeper. I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end and was completely caught off guard when I found out who done it. Lot's of twists and turns, rich characters, and a budding love story. This is a fantastic first in a series.
I'mogén
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
So I enjoyed this more than I was expecting, which I'm happy about. I think I received this through a free instafreebie thing. Honestly, if I did have to pay I probably wouldn't have read this, as bad as it sounds, because it's not something I'd naturally gravitate too. However I'm glad I did read it because I did enjoy it, but in saying that the story didn't make my heart race or anything.
Roxy, our main character, was fun to read from but I feel like she did some seriously stupid things that ki
Lisa
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have to admit better than I thought it would be. It kept me
guessing and what a surprise ending.
Anastasia
Killer Twist by C.A Larmer is book 1 in the Ghostwriter mystery series. Writer Roxy Parker is hired to ghostwrite the life story of department store heiress Beatrice Musgrove when she is killed prior to making a revelation.An enjoyable, interesting entry into the series with a smart, inquisitive main character. I liked that it is set in Sydney making it more familiar for me and am looking forward to reading more in the series.
Grace J Reviewerlady
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyable read. Good mystery, good writing - and just enough of the main character's private life to leave you wanting more. Recommended to anyone who enjoys a mystery, especially with a female sleuth!!
Donna
Quick and entertaining. Sort of a cozy but with a little bit of an edge. I liked Roxy as a character and the plot had plenty of, mostly believable, twists and turns. Liked the Australian setting too. I'll look for more in this series.
Cecilia
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun, action-packed story with many twists and turns, kept me guessing. Roxy, the ghostwriter is hilarious and way braver than I would be. She gets in way over her head but is not deterred until the truth is out.
Sara
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-on-my-kindle
Did not see the twist at the end coming! Great read and look forward to reading the next in this series.
Sheila
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Set in Australia, C.A. Larmer’s Killer Twist offers fascinatingly detailed locations, and an intriguing female protagonist with a solidly believable character. Protagonist Roxy is a ghostwriter, and I never knew ghostwriting could be so lucrative or so dangerous. Though, to be fair, the danger might come from the writing of magazine articles too, or anything else she’s recently tackled. (I want to learn her job.)

Roxy’s agent’s got her back. A stranger’s hand slaps her back, sending her flying in
Thomas
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roxy Parker is a ghost writer (a person who writes stories under another authors name), and also an investigative reporter. When the subject of a autobiography dies suddenly, Roxy doesn't believe the suicide ruling.
With having death threats given to her, Roxy investigates Beatties death. Learning several secrets that others don't want revealed, and are more than willing to kill to keep the past in the past.

This was a very enjoyable story with developed characters, several twist, and a lot of dev
V L
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read!

KILLER TWIST is well written and an intriguing read. Just when one has it “figured out”, a red herring or a plot twist would be thrown in to confuse, frustrate and encourage the reader to continue reading. A must read! Be sure to get the other five books in the series, then discover the other book in other genres she has written.
Virginia Kessen
As is often the case, I thought this book would be better with a little editing to tighten it up. Whodunit was obvious very early (though there was a satisfying twist that made the why more believable) and the section with the heroine on the wrong track went on a little too long but all-in-all a fun read.
Julian White
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kobo - different cover.

An engaging read - again at least in part because of the setting (mainly Sydney). The protagonist is the ghostwriter of the series and seems determined to go her own way. I wasn't sure of the actual villains until close to the end (a number of possibilities were presented along the way, with varying plausibility) and this author is one worth following (if only for the glorious 'Agatha Christie Bookclub' series, which has one of the best titles ever!)
Mary Pummill
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Killer Twist (A Ghostwriter Mystery Book 1)

A book that had many twists. Hard to tell where it was going and who was involved. A surprising ending that did not disappoint you. You were definitely not ready to put the book down
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wasn't sure after chapter 1 that I'd like it and found, as I got more into the book, that it became more interesting.
What looks like several stories are intertwined. I did think that the perp was the perp but there was a very interesting wrinkle that made it a 'whoa' moment. Well done.
Jacqueline
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So Many Suspects, So Many Crimes

Great mystery filled with interesting characters, plot twists and fun dialogue. You keep thinking, "Hmm maybe her. Maybe him. What about ..." but it's doubtful you can get all the who, what, where, when and why figured out before the buzzer dings.
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finished reading it like it was my job. Fun and swift, I got a kick out of it. Want to read the rest.
Valerie
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first of the series and if the rest in the series are on the same par that will be great. The story had a few twists that I didn't see coming and that added to the enjoyment.
SUE
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good story. The author gave us many clues through the book but never caught them. I kept pointing fingers at this character or that one, but never had it right.
Angie
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cutest main characters ever !
Shirley
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun intro to a new series. Ghostwriter turns sleuth. Interesting plot with plenty of suspects.
Karen
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the forth book in this series first and was so happy with it that I had to go back to the beginning and see where it all started. Surprisingly enough this book was just as good as the one I originally read. The only real complaint I have is that it lagged in the beginning, though it at least gave a little background on the main characters as it did so. Once it starts to move it does so at a nice pace that actually helps to build the suspense as it introduces more suspects. I found the dia ...more
Heather
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I so enjoyed this book! It's a quick read with just the right amount of humor and intrigue. The author does a wonderful job of guiding the reader through the events without hammering details or holding our hands. I liked that the main character was smart but had issues. I liked that the reader is given just enough information to grab onto the storylines and the relationships to make it through the book - but left with the "I want more" feeling to read the next book(s).

There were a few things th
Rick Bylina
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
C. A. Larmer has woven an intricate plot for "Killer Twist" that unfolded a bit too slowly for my taste, but was, nevertheless, well done overall. Once it got going, she threw in more twists than a Chubby Checker revival dance. I must confess I did catch on to the primary and secondary bad guys early in their introductions, but the reason why they did the nasty wasn't clear until the big reveal to Roxy Parker, the amateur sleuth who took risks I'd never be caught taking, especially at the end. T ...more
Kat Lebo
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a fun first novel in a series by the author Christina Larmer. Larmer was born in Papua New Guinea and educated in Australia. She is the author of three books in the Ghostwriter series and one in the Agatha Christie Book Club series, plus the novel An Island Lost and the non-fiction book "A Measure of Papua New Guinea: The Arman Larmer Surveys Story.

At first I worried that the Australian idioms and slang used by the characters (the story takes place in Sydney) would throw me off, but af
Lynda
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, mysteries
Freelance, ghost writer Roxy Parker thought her writing abilities were being wasted on the continual saga of Beatrice Musgrave’s biography. The elderly woman promised enticing revelations which never seem to come forward. However, unexpected threats, muddled suspicions and death caught the observant Roxy in a mystery sure to keep her from getting bored.

Truly enjoyable writing, it was well-paced with a penchant for exquisite details adding dynamic vivid impressions of the characters, atmosphere,
« previous 1 3 next »

• Death on the Diversion (Secret Sleuth #1)
  • Last Call (Janet Black Mystery, #1)
  • Cocktails and Cowardice (Peridale Cafe Cozy Mystery #20)
  • Resurrection Row  (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #4)
  • Gunpowder Chowder (Hooked & Cooked #1)
  • The Watersplash (Miss Silver, #21)
  • Death in the Park (Firefly Junction Mystery #1)
  • Hold On! (Hold On! #1)
  • Lawful Disobedience (Justice For All #1)
  • The Lost Spear (Lost #0.5)
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
  • Trick or Murder? (Sophie Sayers Village Mystery #2)
  • Cliffs of Laguna Beach (Ryan-Hunter series)
  • Red, White, and Dead
  • Family Murders
  • Dose Vidanya (Silver Hills #2)
  • An Occupied Grave (A Brock & Poole Mystery #1)
  • Dead Eye (Tiger's Eye Mystery, #1)
Author Christina (C.A.) Larmer was born in remote Papua New Guinea where close encounters with witchdoctors and cannibal progeny (no, really), gave her a morbid taste for mystery that has culminated in more than a dozen crime novels, including four in the Amazon-bestselling Agatha Christie Book Club series, two Posthumous Mysteries, seven Ghostwriter Mysteries, a thriller/suspense, and a stand-alo ...more

Ghostwriter Mystery (7 books)
  • A Plot to Die For (Ghostwriter Mystery #2)
  • Last Writes (Ghostwriter Mystery 3)
  • Dying Words (A Ghostwriter Mystery #4)
  • Words Can Kill (A Ghostwriter Mystery #5)
  • A Note Before Dying: A Ghostwriter Mystery 6
  • Without a Word (Ghostwriter Mystery #7)