Start by marking “Symbiont (Parasitology, #2)” as Want to Read:
Symbiont (Parasitology, #2)

Symbiont

(Parasitology #2)

THE SECOND BOOK IN MIRA GRANT'S TERRIFYING PARASITOLOGY SERIES.

THE ENEMY IS INSIDE US.

The SymboGen designed tapeworms were created to relieve humanity of disease and sickness. But the implants in the majority of the world's population began attacking their hosts turning them into a ravenous horde.

Now those who do not appear to be afflicted are being gathered for quarantine
Published November 25th 2014 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Symbiont, please sign up.
Jesse I'm afraid so... one of them is over three minutes long. No, just kidding, not that long, but they're baaackk. :>)
The tape worms continue to try…more
The tape worms continue to try and take over the world.(less)

karen
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
- - hear me? This is Harry Lo of KNBR, the Bay Area's real rock, broadcasting live because I have nothing else to do and no other way of getting the message that I'm still alive in here out to the world. I have now been broadcasting for twenty days straight. It's almost Halloween, kids, and if anyone's out there listening, I recommend against going trick-or-treating this year, because the streets are alive with the actual undead, which may make it hard to tell the kids in costumes from the peopl ...more
Bonnie
Yep. I gave a Mira Grant book 2 stars.

It pains me to do so, it really does, but this series, in general, has not impressed me at all. Parasite/Symbiont was intended originally to be a duology but it has now transformed into a trilogy with Symbiont becoming nothing more than a seriously massive tome of filler. It was a huge undertaking to get through this (a total of 23 days which is fairly unheard of for me) but there’s no denying that it definitely lacked direction.

By now we’ve had our fair sha
Kaora
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Common Sense in the Apocalypse Quiz
Name: "Sal" Sally Mitchell
Examiner: Kaora
Date: 12/14/2014

Grade: F (Stands for FUCKED)
Score: 0.5 / 5

1) Please describe the best way to detect sleepwalkers.
I would take my dog along since she has heightened senses and can detect them faster than I can.
Wrong. They moan, so you should be able to simply use your ears rather than endangering the dog. Also having a barker when you are trying to be sneaky is probably not a good idea.

2) Your enemy has your friend and w
Ellen Gail
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
What's that? I actually finished a book?

I know I was surprised too.

'Twas a good book too. Not as good as Parasite, but a solid sequel. I'm still on board for book three, coming at my reading list in 2018!
Kerri (Book Hoarder)

November can't come soon enough!

Edit: OH MY GOD THIS IS OUT AND I FORGOT

as;lkfjas;ldkfjal;sdkjf;alskd

~*~*~

Love, love, love. Will write a proper review later. <3
Lena
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
The Symbiont Drinking Game
One shot whenever Sal faints, passes out, or is tranquilized.
Two shots whenever Sal descends into the "hot warm dark".
Read this way it can be five stars and a blessed brake from holiday mayhem.

The best thing about this book is its irreverence. There's a character who is fully convinced that he is living a video game because that makes more sense than a parasitic zombie apocalypse. In the book he's nuts but as a reader you laugh because it almost does make more sense.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Usually when a duology becomes a trilogy or a trilogy becomes a more lengthy series overnight, I grumble and complain and become instantly resentful of both the author and the publisher. But when I discovered that this duology somehow grew to become a trilogy, I felt nothing but satisfaction and joy. More books from Mira Grant are always good news to me. In fact, if Parasitology suddenly became a 180 books long medical thriller/soap opera hybrid, I’d still be a happy camper. That’s how much I ad ...more
Lindsay
Sep 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I really didn't love this. I'm a huge fan of Seanan's work normally, but this one felt over-long and drawn out with just too much standing around in rooms vacillating about what to do next when only the bad guys seem to have a plan.

The first one was alright, although the "big reveal" was completely obvious to everyone but the main character, who even reflects in this book that retrospectively even she thought it was obvious. This next one has Sal and Natha
Amanda
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Not quite as good as the first one but a solid middle book. Lots of character development in his one. Not a whole lot of action until the end and then it's a pretty big cliffhanger.
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Only Mira Grant could write a series about tapeworm horror, and make it compelling, intelligent, well thought out and absolutely terrifying.

The Parasitology series explores a world dominated by science, where people rely on tapeworm implants for perfect health and longevity. While Parasite explored how this technology was invented and how it was adopted across the globe, Symbiont explores the detrimental and disastrous effec
☕️Kimberly
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you have not yet read Parasite I suggest you swallow the red pill and slip down the rabbit-hole that is Grant’s brilliant mind and join the rest of us in this frighteningly real apocalyptic future.
This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill -- the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill -- you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.- Morpheus, The Matrix, 1999

Grant a
Wendy F
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I'm not sure how to process this story... it's my worst nightmare, and yet in a sense I have to root for that!

Alright, so before I dig in to the meat of this book I have to warn you that part of what I'm going to say will be about things that were revealed in Parasite, the first book in this series. If you haven't read that book, don't read further!

I seriously do not know where I stand on this book. Mira Grant is so good at development. It's not so much that I believe that this world could reall
Figgy
Ohhhhhhh, the pretty cover!

It's HERE!!!
Bea  Charmed
I didn't love it as much as the first one. Maybe 3.5 stars?

I think Mira Grant could write a traffic ticket and I'd read it. :D I've been anxiously waiting for this book since I finished reading book one, "Parasite", in October of 2013. I was delighted when it was announced several moths ago that instead of two books, Grant will write three in this series. Frankly, I doubt she could have wrapped this up in two books. And these books are not short. "Parasite" was 512 pages and "Symbiont" is 516 p
Jules (Never enough time to read)
I didn't think the book was perfect, but it was entertaining and I'm quite looking forward to the next one.
Karissa
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is the second book in the Parasitology series by Grant; this was originally going to be a duology and was extended into a trilogy. The third book, Chimera, is set to release late 2015. This was hands down my least favorite book Mira Grant or Seanan McGuire (her other pen name) has written. I am a huge fan of all of Mira Grant's/Seanan McGuire's other books. For some reason though this series is just missing the mark for me.

Sal is coming to terms with the fact that she is no longer human. He
Yzabel Ginsberg
2.5 stars: enjoyable, but quite a few things could have been avoided or handled differently. Also, not a fan of characters fainting often, or getting in kidnapping situations once too many. But I think part of this can be chalked up to "second book syndrome".
Wendy Darling
I love that the first couple lines of the synopsis are all shouty caps about how terrifying Mira's books are, hah.
Kim
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star
I had some problems with the first installment ( Parasite ), but it was fairly entertaining for all that. This one was just silly.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)

On the one hand, I really enjoyed Symbiont. On the other, though, it did disappoint me. After loving Parasite on my reread, I find myself back here, once again disappointed in Parasitology. Newsflesh is pure perfection, and this series is not managing to achieve that magic again. Symbiont is clunky and second book syndrome all the way.

For one thing, not much that’s plot essential really happens in Symbiont. The whole book is plotting fail level video game, where Sal is always either on
Brooke
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction, 2015
At first I thought this book had an especially bad case of middle-book-treading-water syndrome, and then I learned from other reviews (and it seems to be confirmed in press releases from Orbit when the first book was announced) that this wasn't even supposed to be a trilogy in the first place. And all I can say is that if you look at a duology and think, "What this really needs is an extra 500 pages of absolutely nothing happening so we can sell more copies," then you really deserve nothing more ...more
B.R. Jensen
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
It pains me to say this, because I have devoured Mira Grant's work at an alarming pace with every piece I've picked up, but I found Symbiont clunky and uninspiring. :(

I find it hard to put my finger on everything I was not happy about, but among my issues:

-Sal is truly developmentally broken. Beyond the obvious intent of the character, she quite frequently takes two steps forward in one scene, then anywhere from 1-5 steps back in another scene. I found this immensely frustrating and exhausting t
Maggie Gordon
I have to wait A YEAR?!?!?! I might not survive!

************************************************************

Finished! Possible review to come.
WendyB
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Very repetitive. Tells us the same things over and over. If it mentions something once, it mentions that same thing again and again.
Did I mention this book is very repetitive?
Nadia
After reading: Do you see the edit below that I made back when I first read Parasite (Read my review maybe https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...) and was waiting eagerly to read the 'then' last one? (It's a trilogy now sigh). I think I'm gonna have to copy paste the whole thing since this shit is still stuck on yet another freaking cliffhanger!

Arrrggghhh!

Also, that awkward moment when you realize that even a tapeworm has a boyfriend but you don't.

This sad pathetic forever alone life.

Moving o
Pili
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Parasitology last year and loved it, loved the science and the amazing premise of the different "kind" of zombies and the starting of the apocalypse.

After the ending and revelations I was really looking forward to reading Symbiont, the sequel and I'm very happy to report that it didn't disappoint at all!

Symbiont started with Sal dealing with the revelations of Parasitology and even if Sal keeps having her doubts and is somewhat paralized, she does a pretty good job at figuring out what re
Ellie
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Tansy’s story is shocking and heart-breaking. Her viewpoints are probably the most powerful parts of this story, even if they are limited. The world Sal now lives in is starting to become very cruel indeed and there’s some hard to swallow scenes. Fishy, new to the scene, is delusional, refusing to accept the apocalypse is really happening and he thinks he’s just inside a video game. In some of the final chapters, this becomes endearing and also made me chuckle in the face of imminent doom.

Withou
Jason
Feb 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2015
3 Stars

Parasite book one of the Parisitology series by Mira Grant was a mixed bag of post apocalyptic fun. Symbiont, book two of the trilogy that was supposed to be a duology is a little more of the same and a whole lot of nothing.

Mira Grant is one of my favorite authors today and it is funny how it worked out. You see, I pretty much hated Feed, book one in the Newsflesh series, that is until I decided to read it for a second time months later. Upon my reread and my dissection of the writing st
Sarah (A Weebish Book Blog)

This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger

Y’all know I have been a huge fan of Mira Grant ever since I devoured the Newsflesh trilogy. So when the opportunity came to read and review Symbiont, I was so excited! I quickly snapped up the chance and boy am I glad. Just when I think Mira Grant can’t get any creepier, she proves me wrong
Erin (PT)
Despite really not loving Parasite, the first book of this series, I was cautiously excited about Symbiont. Parasite hung on a plot point that was obvious to me within the first couple pages and then spent the entire novel bringing it's heroine to a realization of what I'd known from the very beginning. But, with that realization finally out of the way, I was hopeful that Symbiont could actually move things forward and into more unknown territory.

Symbiont pays off, I'm glad to say. It's a far mo

• Married in Green (InCryptid, #0.05)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2014: Women Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • As The World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 2
Mira also writes as Seanan McGuire.

Born and raised in Northern California, Mira Grant has made a lifelong study of horror movies, horrible viruses, and the inevitable threat of the living dead. In college, she was voted Most Likely to Summon Something Horrible in the Cornfield, and was a founding member of the Horror Movie Sleep-Away Survival Camp, where her record for time survived in the Swamp C

Parasitology (3 books)
  • Parasite (Parasitology, #1)
  • Chimera (Parasitology, #3)
“Curiosity is what it looks like when you’re in love with the world.” 10 likes
“Sometimes smart people can be a special kind of stupid. The kind where they know so many facts and are so good at saying “no one would ever do that” that they somehow manage to convince themselves the world is going to care about what they think.” 5 likes