Start by marking “The Zombie Generation” as Want to Read:
The Zombie Generation

The Zombie Generation

Warner is the sole survivor of a deathscape dominated by hordes of the undead. Years of isolation and lack of any human contact has driven him to the brink of insanity. Plagued with vivid hallucinations and shocking nightmares, he scours the deadlands for any signs of life. While discovering a temporary cure for his creeping mental illness, Warner is attacked and infected ...more
Published April 7th 2012 by Dead Orb Press

To ask other readers questions about The Zombie Generation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zombie Generation

Frank Errington
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found myself having a love/hate relationship with The Zombie Generation. On the one hand, I like my Zombies to be of the George Romero/The Walking Dead variety. Able to be killed with a shot to the head, the bashing in of the head, or fire, as well as not being very conversant, other than the occasional groan or moan. These are not those Zombies.

Actually in this novel, the undead are not referred to as Zombies at all. In The Zombie Generation they're called "Buggers". The "Buggers" tend to be
Matthew
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
I will put it out there from the get go that zombie lore is not my forte. I know some of the general stuff: they are dead, there is no cure, they eat brains and flesh, they really are not sentient, shooting them in the head is practically the only way to kill them, etc. I have read only a handful of novels covering this genre, with Ex-Heroes and Ex-Patriots being great reads, but others like TORMENT - A Novel of Dark Horror being, well, a torment to read. Enter The Zombie Generation, which seems ...more
Allizabeth Collins
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review:

After typing-up my last zombie book review, I was in no mood to read further into the genre, but with Halloween around the bend, I knew that readers would be in search of the next undead thriller. I had three choices, all looked interesting cover-wise, but the only one whose blurb spoke to me was Drake Vaughn's The Zombie Generation - a genre-bending psychological, post-apocalyptic horror novel where you never know the difference between reality and hallucination. The plot-line is anythin
Kevin Walsh
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombie-novels
I am a bit torn at whether or not to call this a zombie novel. I don't think it really is a zombie novel because the infected don't quite resemble zombies except for the fact that they want to kill you. But it was a pretty enjoyable story nonetheless.

This novel is a psychological horror novel that focuses on a man named Warner. The tone and plot is a bit humorous but the situations and environment are horror down to the bones. The main character's narrative can be funny at times and you can feel
Matt Posner
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Disclosure: the author gave me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, and I have hosted him on my goodreads blog.

In the classic early sci-fi novel I Am Legend by Richard Matheson, one man is alone in a world of vampires, followed by a classic twist. Is he insane? How can he survive?

Drake Vaughn's The Zombie Generation offers another take on this scenario. Warner, the protagonist, takes advantage of boldness and skills at salvage and repair to exist alone in a world of _buggers_, a
Lily at Bookluvrs Haven
I came to understand, fairly early in this novel, that this was not a typical zombie story. In fact, the scary monsters in this story can't really be described as conventional zombies, or zombies at all. At least not the typical image that the word 'zombie' brings to mind. I even felt a little cheated to have had the impression going into this story with a different perception of which this novel did not deliver. But there was much about this novel that was original and interesting.

Warner is a s
Cheryl
Jul 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Warner is trying to survive in a world filled with "buggers". Hey, in this book they are called buggers, get over it. It is not easy. You can lose your mind...literally. This is what is happening to Warner. He can not tell fiction from reality. He keeps having "figs" short for figments. Things get worse when Warner is attacked by a bugger and is infected. It is only a matter of time before Warner turns into a bugger. Warner comes upon a group of survivors. Now Warner must decide to take the high ...more
Beth
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's always cool when you discover a new genre of books or movies that you never in a million years expected to like. For me, it turned out to be zombies. I got sucked in by The Walking Dead which eventually led me to Drake Vaughn's The Zombie Generation - and it did not disappoint.

What I like most about zombie stories is how each author has their own take on how zombies act and what caused them to become that way. Drake Vaughn has created a fascinating world where zombies sleep in towering pil
David King
Jun 07, 2012 rated it liked it
"The Zombie Generation" by Drake Vaughn is an interesting take on the post-apocalyptic zombie genre. The story follows Warner, a survivor who is trying to stay alive in a world overrun by infected people whom he calls "Buggers". What makes things even worse for Warner is that he is quite clearly losing his grip on reality. He is tormented by hallucinations and is no longer sure what is actually real and what isn't.

This novel was anything but a standard zombie story, the zombies themselves were v
Masquerade Crew
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, horror
MARK WOOD'S REVIEW

Warner is one of very few survivors in a post-apocalyptic vision of our future. The Undead walk the streets by day hunting for prey to feed on and humanity has all but been wiped out.

What is more, Warner is losing his grip on reality and has been for some time. He is no longer entirely sure what is real and what isn't, if he ever was....

This was a strange book that took some getting used to. The Walkers here are called Buggers, are easily distracted by cuddly toys that resembl
Alexia561
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Due to my schedule, I read this one in bits and pieces and it took me much longer to finish than it would have normally. This may have contributed to my confusion over the ending, which I had to reread. Then I went back and reread the beginning and a few other parts. The reread helped, but the story was still a little confusing. I'm sure there will be several debates about the ending, but I'm still on the fence.

Warner was an interesting character and this was an interesting premise, but I wasn't
Randy
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The zombies in this one are not your typical type. They don't even use the word, instead calling them buggers. They are actually not dead, but infected with a virus. Oh, they do zombie things like eat brains, flesh. But they will eat anything and grow to enormous size. They sleep in piles at night, are attracted to loud noises and fire, and water is almost like an acid to them causing great pain.

Warner has lived among them for years and his sanity seems to be finally slipping. He suffers what he
Cheryl
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
A zombie world on acid

"The Zombie Generation" is quite the different zombie tale. Rather than "traditional" zombies, the infected beings in the book are called "buggers" by Warner, the narrator of the story, and have many differences to the George Romero example. Warner has been the sole human survivor in a bugger-ridden world for as long as he can remember. And Warner is barely hanging onto his sanity (maybe).

There was plenty I liked about the book - the buggers being different than most zombie
My Book Addiction and More MBA
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
The zombies from the book THE ZOMBIE GENERATION are not your usual zombies.They are alive with a virus instead of dead like we normally see. Warner the last human, as far as he knows, is locked up in a safe house hiding from buggers, his word for zombies. He is alone in the house except for his figs. Figs are Warner’s hallucinations. THE ZOMBIE GENERATION has a lot of twists and turns, and kept me very interested. Not your run of the mill zombie book. I think it is well worth reading.

Rating: 4.5
Lori
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a good book. It did keep my attention and I enjoyed reading. I just wasn't in love with it. At first I thought it was because the MC was male but then I realized that I am in love with male MC's in other books. Then I thought it was because the zombies are different....but there are loads of zombie books out there that are not really zombie books. The writing was good. It wasn't overly great but I have read much much worse. All around it is a good read and I am sure that some of my more ...more
Elizabeth