Start by marking “Extracts from Adam's Diary/Eve's Diary” as Want to Read:
Extracts from Adam's Diary/Eve's Diary

Extracts from Adam's Diary/Eve's Diary

Written at the end of Twain's career, Extracts from Adam's Diary was first published in 1897 and Extracts from Eve's Diary in 1905. Twain's Adam was based on himself while Eve was modelled after his wife Livy. It is fitting that these two essays be joined together in one package.
Published August 1st 2000 by Applewood Books (first published January 1st 1906)

To ask other readers questions about Extracts from Adam's Diary/Eve's Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extracts from Adam's Diary/Eve's Diary

Start your review of Extracts from Adam's Diary/Eve's Diary
Majenta
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
EXTRACTS from Adam's Diary.
Eve's Diary COMPLETE.
And of course there was much, much less to Eve's. I wonder, if Mark Twain were really Samantha L. Clemens, would it be ADAM'S DIARY COMPLETE and EXTRACTS FROM EVE'S DIARY?

Which would any of you prefer to read? I think I'd like the complete diaries of each!

Adam simply did not know what to think of Eve when she appeared, and at times he was VERY impatient with her. You've just got to read his reaction to the arrival of Cain, then how he keeps up
Jan Priddy
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
He was always so far ahead of his time.
Elier Mancilla
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Texto simple, directo y muy divertido. Me gustó mucho el perfil psicológico de Adán y Eva, y como se van desarrollando.
Pero las palabras finales de Adán -después de que son expulsados de jardín- es lo que más me conmueve:
Donde sea que ella este, ahí está el Eden.

Simple, direct and hilarious text. I really like the psychological status of Adam and Eve, and how the grow up.
But the final words of Adam -after they are kick out of the garden- it's what really touched my heart:
Wherever she is,
Johannes
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Wheresoever she was, there was Eden," - Adam, standing at the graveside of Eve, 40 years after they were expelled from the Garden.
Keri Payton
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Translated from the original manuscript, Mark Twain gives us an insight into the first man's mind through extracts from his diary.

Twain lends his brilliant wit in the translations of Adam's diary. From the start, Adam is startles by the arrival of this new creature which proclaims itself a "she" and goes around naming everything and talking to no end. He is sure he will have to emigrate to get away from it.

From the first few days in the Garden of Eden with Eve, to the arrival of the unknown
Abner D.
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Sara Snarr
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Adam and Eve's diaries were a fun quick read. Twain, ever the clever wit, has a lot of fun extrapolating from the original story. Adam complains that Eve eats too much fruit and talks too much. Eve complains that Adam keeps disappearing but she is certain that he enjoys listening to ALL she has to say. I can't put this on par with Huck Finn or Tom Sawyer, but it's definitely worth spending an afternoon chuckling over. Without offering any spoilers, the ending was surprisingly sweet and poignant. ...more
Nehal
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What can you say? The master of satire and jest tackles the beginning of mankind. A rare book (but available free on iBooks) that is not read too often.

The awkwardness of the beginnings of any man-woman relationship (each with it's gender stereotypes) is addressed with wit and humor. The edge to this book is certainly the fact that Adam and Eve were the first couple on earth and had no experience from the collective consciousness to fall back upon. Makes for hilarious reading.
Joy
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adam is slower and heavier handed than Eve. where eve was a babbling brook of excitement, Adam is mostly caveman. it is sweet to observe him soften after his son is born, even though he does not know Cain is his son and assumes he is a fish, or kangaroo, or bear.

great quote:

_Five Months Later_

It is not a kangaroo.
Rahil
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Are all men terrified by us , women, just the way Adam was terrified and annoyed by Eve's unceasing talks and her boundless interest and curiosity? I really do love the idea of Twain, but like Eve's Diary, I guess it needs more spices and development, it needs to be enriched with fertile images and imagination.However, It was funny, breathtaking and mind-blowing !
Libby
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-group
Very short. :) Mark Twain always makes me chuckle, and he did here as well, but this isn't his best work, not in the least. It's an intriguing topic and I think it could be fun to read other people's takes on this.
Diana
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Очень интересная книга о том, как мужчины и женщины по-разному смотрят на вещи, но при этом всё же не могут друг без друга) Рекомендую))
Galileosong
Sep 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Amusing read - good for a few smiles and chuckles. I only had Extracts from Adam's Diary - not Eve's Diary. I will probably dig that up at some point.
Steve Haywood
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I came across this story by accident and thought it sounded interesting. They are in fact two separate stories. Extract from Adam's Diary came first, in approx. 1897, followed by Eve's Diary a few years later. Both were written late on his career. I read Adam's diary first, then Eve's after. These are comic short stories (not surprisingly, it is Mark Twain after all). Most people will be familiar with the story of Adam and Eve, but not told in this way. From the different perspectives, they ...more
Heather
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Teensy and quick, this is a little slip of a book (books?). Covering the same time period, these stories address the creation, fall from grace, and lifetime of Adam and Eve from their own perspectives. Adam is irritable and petulant and selfish. Eve is caring and ebullient and a bit dim and co-dependent.

I read Adam's diary first and then Eve's, which is good if only because I think I'd have quit if I read Eve's first. I'm not sure Twain had a great opinion of "the fairer sex."
Jerome Berglund
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Curmudgeonly af <3
Andreas Christodoulou
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy
The feeling of Adam at the end was what was the book about. "Where was she there was Eden"
federico gutierrez correa
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
cool and funny
Frank Schofield
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great work of humor. I couldnt put it down. Short story masterpiece.
Bowdoin
Reader in group–Whether religious or not, it is almost impossible for a person to avoid the story of Adam and Eve. Mark Twain utilizes these two personas in his work "The Private Life of Adam and Eve" to provide some "insight" into their everyday lives. By laying out the book in the form of a personal journal, Mark Twain is able develop the characters how he saw fit. Integrated within each journal entry there is hate, love, confusion, resentment, but more importantly, humor. The book starts off ...more
Erin
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I listened to a reading of Adam's Diary several years ago, and was delighted with how funny it is. Especially as he tries, for an extended period of time, to figure out the species of these things, Cain and Abel, that Eve has brought home and insists on keeping. Are they fish? Are they birds? Scientific experimentation must answer this question for him.

Then, recently at General Conference, somebody quoted from Eve's diary, a thing I previously had no idea existed. I could hardly wait to read it
Johanne
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twain is always brilliant. I find the way he can describe rather unusual things as if they were self evident and self evident things as if they were very unusual makes me rethink things I thought I knew. (And it reminds me of a Danish author I like very much. Villy Sørensen. However Villy Sørensen has more of a sadness to him.)
Gerald Curtis
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it
As a devout Christian, I reverence the scriptural account of Adam and Eve. I also enjoy the humor of Mark Twain, and hope that my enjoyment of his satire via an alleged diary of of Adam and Eve as they discover the world about them is not irreverent. Both books were fun and imaginative, and did not harm to my faith.
Patrick
Oct 24, 2010 rated it liked it
These were hilarious. It is interesting to see Mark Twain's views on male and female psychology.
Claire
The last line was brilliant, but its genuine beauty and power can only be understood if you have read the whole book and understand Adam and Eve's way of expressing things.
Ryan Roberts
Mar 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
It jumps right into the middle of the story and leaves out the lead upto the end. Don't waste your time with this one. Read the real one.
Carol
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!

Naomi V
Jun 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, fiction, kindle
a very, very short book that's just what it says: Mark Twain's translation of adam's diary. very funny.
Andrea
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly entertaining! The original he said... she said.
Andrea
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
The original Bridget Jones' Diary. Endearing.
Mrs. Anderson's E...: Audiobook 1 3 Mar 08, 2016 07:53PM

• Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus
  • The Way I Heard It
  • Flight of the Dragon Kyn Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Dragon's Milk (Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • Triumph of the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #3)
  • Mystery in the Sand (The Boxcar Children, #16)
  • Mystery Behind the Wall (The Boxcar Children, #17)
  • Who Censored Roger Rabbit? (Roger Rabbit, #1)
  • Ben and Me: An Astonishing Life of Benjamin Franklin by His Good Mouse Amos
  • Lookin' Good, Beetle Bailey
  • The Seventh Book of Lost Swords: Wayfinder's Story (Lost Swords, #7)
  • Hearing God
  • All-Star Squadron Annual (1982-1984) #2 (All-Star Squadron Annual (1982-))
  • Lincoln
  • Liquid Rules: The Delightful and Dangerous Substances That Flow Through Our Lives
  • The Second Founding: How the Civil War and Reconstruction Remade the Constitution
  • Marie Antoinette / 3C
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also