Start by marking “Master of the Universe” as Want to Read:
Master of the Universe

Master of the Universe

This is the Twilight fan-fiction that preceded the 50 Shades Trilogy.
Published (first published 2010)

Start your review of Master of the Universe
Anastasia George
Jun 22, 2012 rated it liked it
It was ok. Certainly don't get how this book made it to publishing, when there is sooooo much better FF out there!!
Irene
1 and 1/2 stars

Prose: 2/10 (who says "down there" and "holy cow/crow"??!!)
Plot: 4/10
Characterization: 5/10 for Edward's past, the rest is al SMeyer's
Entertainment: 4/10

Bonus: none
Malus: inexcusable glorification of an abusive relationship; extremely unfair portrayal of the BDSM lifestyle

I think this review merits a small introduction.

I read a few reviews of FIFTY SHADES OF GRAY before I had even considered getting anywhere near it, and subsequently resolved to keep my distance and dissuade
Lilian
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I am glad I haven't started to read fifty shades of grey yet. I am in love with this original version. With Edward and Bella... I have fallen for their story in twilight saga, and with master of the universe I have fallen in love with them all over again. It's been quite a while since I have picked up a book and been so into that I have read it well into the night and gone to bed at 4 am. I love the whole alternate universe. It isn't about mystical creature, but about true life scenarios that
Theresa Ann
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is the Twilight fan fiction that Fifty Shades of Grey is based on. Actually it's word for word except for the name changes from Edward and Bella to Christian and Ana. You can find this FREE fan fiction at http://www.inkitt.com/stories/11208.

Inside is also "Christian's" point of view, now other wise known as the book "Grey." That book is another LAZY attempt for E.L.James to produce a book that you are all paying millions of dollars to read. If you want to read Christian Grey's point of
DayDreamer
Jun 06, 2014 marked it as not-going-there  ·  review of another edition
O_O FSoG is on GR in this original variant too? I find that... something. Amusing might be a word for it.
Tammy
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it

Okay so I'm a little biased lol. I have read 50 Shades as well, but I do enjoyed her thought processes. I really liked reading it with the Edward/Bella characters...now Christian/Ana. Wishing I did not have the work schedule I do (or low funds to get to Chicago 10 days ago). I would really like to get to meet this author. Though I think she still seems amazed at all the attention her little trilogy of books have received, I am not surprised. I am in awe of her ability to put such detail into
Cheryl Roman
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I completely loved the process of reading this book! Of course it's not edited! She wrote it on line, chapter by chapter and waited for comments by readers. I loved the suspense of waiting for the next chapter and being involved with the process of these fantastic characters (not to mention an unknown author) come to life. I loved reading Fifty Shades later but I will always be loyal to the original.
Nicole Howard
Jul 25, 2012 marked it as to-read

I can't find this book! :/ any suggestions??
April-lee
Dec 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
I have no clue how someone read this and thought "Wow I must publish this!" Seriously. And having read 50 Shades first I can't picture the Bella & Edward I know from the Twilight books, they seem like entirely different characters which I think is not how fanfic is supposed to work. I don't really know; I've never tea read fanfic before. Still I would expect the characters to resemble who they are supposed to be based on. And the writing in this is even more atrocious than I imagine it would ...more
Sweetp
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
With all the 50 shades hype I thought I would try this book. Its brilliant - loved the plot and how the storyline developed. There are a few surprises.

I can see the raw edge of it all.

I am glad I haven't read the 50 shades yet - this is perfect without any need for tweeks. The ending is left opening for a sequel.

If I had to describe it - it would fall under 'Bridget Jones girly book with a bit more of an edge'

Fantastic read cannot fault it!!!

Suz
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this fic. I eagerly awaited each chapter as it was posted. The FSOG book is good, but I enjoyed the experience of each chapter being revealed month by month. The cliffies at the end of each chapter kept me rapt. It's funny to see the books at Walmart now. When I read it in the fanfiction format, it was my dirty little secret.
Cheshire
Dec 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Just out of plain curiosity I read it. And in the doctors words fish fingers and custard. Even the dales would not be powerful enough to exterminate this piece. Bring in the time lords and the memory worm.
Amber Sweat
I just really wanted all of you cultured intellectuals on my goodreads to know that I read this before it was 50 Shades of Gray because I'm ~hip. Bye!
Cadence
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well... Now I have an appreciation for how much editing went into the 50 Shades books. I'm a fanfic author and relatively avid fanfic reader, so I thought it would be thrilling to get a sense of the work as it was originally intended. It's more neurotic, abusive and insane than the 50 Shades series. Bleh.
JimDavisFan
Sep 01, 2018 rated it did not like it

First of all, I want to thank the Youtube user manwithoutabody for doing a dramatic reading of this atrocity. His clever annotations somehow made the whole Master of the Universe experience a little bit less painful.

That being said, I have nothing but contempt for this story.

"Master of the Universe" is, in my simple opinion, the worst fanfic ever made. Yes, for me it was even worse than "My Immortal". Much, much worse.

My hatred for this book has nothing to do with the fact that is horribly
Katrina
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
A surprisingly addictive read that was let down by its horrendous grammar and sentence structure. How this fic got a book deal is beyond me...
However, I thought it was an interesting Twilight AU and is a good read for people who like the Twilight story but not the supernatural elements....and who like erotica. Did not disappoint on that front, although after a while the sex scenes became very repetitive as the author ran out of synonyms.
Quite a stringy storyline with plot holes, unnecessary
Leila
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it better than 50 Shades only because it has Edward and Bella; I fell in love with them in the Twilight series, so I absolutely loved them here, it was exiting.
I must said I'm disappointed I didn't read this one first... Or maybe not; I dp tend to like having the best for last, and, to me, this is the best one.
Missdevora
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Curiosity got me, I found her pen name mentioned on a review while reading a TWILIGHT fic written by a friend. I skipped thru it and from what I remember she didn't change too much, just names and improved a bit the grammar.

Not bad for those who liked a bit 50 shades and are curious to see how it all begun!
Nabila Anjum
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it
It's interesting to finally know how fifty shades came to be. Though its difficult to get past the unhealthy and sometimes downright abusive relationship b/w Ana and Christian, its gratifying to discover his true feelings for her, and the lengths to which he'd finally go to win her back. Over all, a quick nice read
Marianna Reads
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the fiirst fiction stories I read..and I LOVED IT!
When I found out that E.L.James is getting published i was so happy!!
Its a realy good story,with a nice plot and a belivable background. Yes its build on Stephanie Meyers Twilight but its SO not the same! Give it a try..especially if you have read Fifty Shades of Grey..
Ruth Job Salamanca
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I know, I know... It's quite scandalous, but I read it again in order to compare it to the published ones, you know, The Fifty Shades Trilogy.

My real review is coming soon, but I'm already telling you: it has some comparisons because I would have read the whole series by then!

#NessieTwiHard02
#TheBookwormPrincess
Lynnett
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was the better version of the Fifty Shades Of Grey Trilogy. There was so much more to this story than the published one. I am happy to have read it from the very beginning so that I could read the full story. I only wish I had a copy of my own of the FanFiction version.
Leiera Monae
Jun 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fanfiction
This is an oldie that I'd never read. Now I know why.

To kill two birds with one stone, I actually read this alongside the published trilogy. They are essentially the exact same works, just with E & B's names changed to C & A.

Days of my short life that I'll never get back.
Sabrina
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fanfics
It's great, the sex starts getting ridiculous after a while though. I love tormented Edward!
Brenda
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really loved this story.
Laxmama
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hot, fanfic
Because I had to read it FSOG
Jei
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Totally loving this read! Not a fast read to me, but it definately keeps me interested!
Luz Al Saud
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love It. ;)
Marcy
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!!! This is the story that got it all started for me :o)
Bedtime Reads: 50 Shades old twilight version is back online 1 22 Apr 22, 2015 02:55AM

• Dusty
  • Infinite Visibility
  • I Remember December
  • World to Come
  • Simply Edward
  • Three Trials (The Dark Side, #2)
  • Four Psychos (The Dark Side #1)
  • Dirty Headlines