Start by marking “Beware the Wild (Beware the Wild, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beware the Wild (Beware the Wild, #1)

Beware the Wild

(Beware the Wild #1)

It's an oppressively hot and sticky morning in June when Sterling and her brother, Phin, have an argument that compels him to run into the town swamp—the one that strikes fear in all the residents of Sticks, Louisiana. Phin doesn't return. Instead, a girl named Lenora May climbs out, and now Sterling is the only person in Sticks who remembers her brother ever existed.

Sterl
Published October 21st 2014 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Beware the Wild, please sign up.
ReadiculousReviewer I can see what you're thinking... Will going missing and Eleven appearing... The Upside Down = The Swamp. I haven't read it to see if they actually…moreI can see what you're thinking... Will going missing and Eleven appearing... The Upside Down = The Swamp. I haven't read it to see if they actually line up, but I can see what you're getting at.(less)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
“When the swamp took my brother, it sent someone—something else to take his place. I don’t know what Lenora May is, but she’s not my sister.”
This book is a dark American fairy tale.

In Celtic mythology, we often hear about the changeling in connection with the fae, fairies, whatever you call them. The fae are capricious creatures. They will take what they please, and in some instances, they will take whomever they please. Children, newborn infants, specifically, are particularly vulnerable. The
Emily May
"I do not tell these stories to delight or entice. Rather, I tell these stories to entreat you - stay away from our swamp, but do not ignore it. Read these stories, my loves, and remember. Secrets are never so dangerous as when they've been forgotten."

There were many things I liked about Beware the Wild, but I still didn't like it as much as I expected to. The thing is, it should have ticked every box I have: creepy atmospheric setting, tough but realistic protagonist who puts her sibling firs
jv poore
Swamps make stellar settings for the spookiest of stories. “The meanest swamp in Louisiana” however, disdainfully dismisses “spooky”. This arrogant, angry bog is far more frightening than the orneriest of angry alligators. A petulant presence, tinged with wicked lurks within.

Following an epic sibling squabble, Sass’s revered brother, Phin belligerently explodes from the sanctity of their backyard into the eagerly awaiting quagmire. She dreads the worst. Not “the worst” as it relates to the avera
Giselle
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, ebook
This started on a great note with a super creepy premise that had a lot of potential, but it started dragging and getting more and more ridiculous; magical peaches and gaterboys and all. in the end, I unfortunately can't say I enjoyed this one very much.

It did grab me full-on at the start, though. Sterling's brother goes missing inside a swamp, and the next thing you know, a strange girl comes out in his place and no one but our main character even remembers her brother. So of course, her famil
Steysha Kravits
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
«Beware the Wild» is a dark and creepy gothic fairytale. It lures you into its mysterious swamp, makes you forget about your life and captures on the pages of its story.

Have you ever heard of Sticks, Louisiana? Nobody has. It’s a secluded small town with own secrets, and the biggest one of them – is the swamp. Nobody knows why it is fenced, why are everyone scared of it, but they know one thing for sure – you better stay the hell away from it. Don’t mind the swamp and it won’t mind you.
That is
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

No one has seen Phin all day. After having a fight with his sister, Sterling, he stepped foot into the swamp and hasn't emerged ever since. Everyone knows not to go into the swamp, they say that if you go in, you never come back. Yet later that day, while Sterling is outside underneath the hot beating sun, she see's someone come out of the swamp, but it's not her brother. It's a girl and apparently her sister. Lenora May has always been Sterling's sister acco
Faye, la Patata
Objectively, Beware the Wild is really good. Subjectively, while I found it decent, I couldn't really connect to it very much.

Don't get me wrong, the writing is gorgeous. It's very showing than telling, moving the plot along in a great pace while portraying the heroine's personality and flaws exceptionally well. There were a lot of inner thoughts and monologues that give you front-row seats of the turmoils being stirred within her as Sterling finds herself in a situation where nobody suddenly re
Rebecca McNutt
Imagine if your loved one was missing, but nobody else believed that they ever existed? Beware the Wild pulls readers into the eerie supernatural story of a girl whose brother has disappeared off the face of the earth it seems. Only she remembers him... and what about the odd little girl who replaced him? This book is terrifying, amazing and definitely worth reading.
Lindsay Cummings
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I first heard about BEWARE THE WILD, I was floored by the concept. A girl whose brother goes into a mysterious, haunted forest on the edge of their property, and returns...as a girl.

I waited and waited for the cover reveal, and when it finally came up on my twitter feed, I was even MORE excited for the book.

And then came the review copy. Then the first few moments of reading..chapter one, chapter two, and chapter three, the very first parts of the book that will tell me whether or not I wil
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Beware the Wild is a remarkable debut and Natalie C. Parker’s defining work. It speaks volumes about this young author and about all the things we can expect from her in the future. It is precisely the type of book I’m always hoping to read: gorgeously written, slightly weird, completely original and even daring. There aren’t that many YA authors whose writing easily takes my breath away. I’m always hoping to add another one to the list, and today I finally have.

Parker’s debut novel is
Romily Bernard
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Okay just finished and I can't even form coherent sentences. It was gorgeous. Atmospheric. Completely creepy. So FREAKING GOOD!!

I was racing through the pages b/c I was DYING to know what happened next and, at the same time, I wanted to pace myself b/c the writing's brilliant and Sterling's an awesome heroine and I didn't want to leave her.

Ugh. Fall's waaayyyy too long to wait for this one. If you have a chance to score an ARC, do it. WILD is beyond excellent.
Valerie
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have been fortunate to read this book as it was written and I can't tell you how excited I am for people to read BEWARE THE WILD. It's not like anything out there right now -- a little Southern Gothic, a little Paranormal, a LOT of awesome. And one of my favorite boy characters ever!
Julie Murphy
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-fourteenery
Be jealous. Be very jealous. NCP nailed it with this book.
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
Different but good and I loved the swamp setting. I wasn't too keen on the author's choice to make... (view spoiler) but I grasp her intention. It just felt like a very underwhelming solution.

From looking at the cover and reading the synopsis I expected this story to be scary and have more of a horror vibe to it then it actually did. It's pretty mild. The alligators didn't even bite.
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
I really wanted to read this book because of it's very unique idea! And I did really end up enjoying this book!

After a fight, Sterling's brother, Phin, runs into the swamp. No one ever goes into the swamp, with good reason. Phin never comes out, but a girl named Lenora May does. Soon, Lenora May takes over Phin's life. Everyone, except Sterling has forgotten about Phin and believes that Lenora May is her sister. Even Sterling
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mindfuck, 2014-faves
Strong beginning, shaky middle, strong ending. Overall this was a very unique book. Definitely loved the interesting twist on the whole changeling mythology. I really enjoyed it.
SoWrongItsRANDI {Bell, Book & Candle}
Bell, Book & Candle | Beware the Wild Review

Apparently I added this to my "to read" list on Goodreads and completely forgot about it. The other day i received an email alert that this book was released and decided to read it right away. The story was certainly something. The premise was very fascinating and captured my attention right away; how strange would it be that one day everyone forgot your brothers entire existence? It would be very peculiar if I do say so myself. Alright, so let's
Stacee
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved the premise of this book and the fact that it was a stand alone almost had me weeping in joy.

Sterling is a great MC. She's sassy and stubborn and loyal as hell. It was fun being inside her head, reading her struggle with everything. Heath has a lot of swoony potential and the only downside to this story is that I wanted a lot more of the two of them.

There are so many great secondary characters, but the only one I'll mention is Candy. She's Sterling's BFF and I loved her snark and idiosyn
Evie
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In all honesty, Beware The Wild was so much better than I thought it would be and so very different from what I initially assumed it would be about. It's not so much a horror story, as it is a beautifully drawn gothic fantasy with elements of horror and supernatural. It's so rich and flavorful, so thick and layered, so sensual and atmospheric and full of southern charm and magic, it's a fabulous read through and through.

I went into it expecting a scary read. A creepy swamp story that would send
Colleen Houck
The setting in this book is so vivid, I could smell the swamp, feel the humidity and practically see the fireflies. I really loved that about it. There are tales of the swamp mentioned in the book and I would absolutely pick up a book about that. It sounds fascinating. Loved the heroine and the story of the grandpa and the peaches.
Heidi
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four Stars: A gorgeously written, creepy atmospheric read!

Sterling's skin sticks to the hood of Phin's Chevelle. Even though the metal is burning her bare legs, Sterling refuses to budge from the car. She has been out there staring at the swamp for hours, hoping against hope that Phin will come striding out of the swamp. It is Sterling's fault that Phin jumped the fence and disappeared into the swamp. They were fighting, and in a fit of rage, Phin left. Hours later, a strange girl comes strollin
Rayne
Beware the Wild is a languid, eerie, beautifully written and wonderfully atmospheric mystery with a flawed, but engaging main character, a fascinating mystery and plot, and a fantastic romance that's a partnership all the way to the end. From the beginning, Beware the Wild excels at creating a mystifying and engaging atmosphere that effortlessly captures the mesmerizing quality of the Southern Gothic and adds a wondrous feel for the fantastical. This book oozes magic and handles beautifully the ...more
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
With Halloween on the horizon, and so many of my friends enjoying this book, I knew I had to put a few things aside and fall into this world that Parker created.

Welcome to Sticks, Louisiana. A small town, with a swamp that has put a lot of fear into the residents surrounding it. When Sterling's older brother Phin runs away from home and into the town swamp and doesn't return, a girl named Lenora May climbs out of the swamp instead and alters the memories of the town folks. The only person that
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This year seems to be my year for trying the unusual, the bizarre, and the strange. I have loved some of those reads and some of them, not so much. But the fact is, either way, I have loved trying them and trying something that wasn't the norm. After all how do you really know what you like or dislike unless you try it?

And I admit, for a lot of them, I have been drawn to the setting more than anything else. There is just something to be said about a good creepy read set near the heart of New Orl
Mauoijenn
I really had high hopes for this.
The blurb I read had me fooled.
I guess these YA's I'm reading are just not up to par with me.
Aimee Meester
Ugh the feels and the WRITING and the Southern vibes and basically everything about this pleases me dude
manda
~ Disclaimer ~
This is a review of an uncorrected Advanced Reader Copy

My first thought upon reading other reviews and the blurb was that it sounded similar to Chime by Franny Billingsley - although that one was set in 1800's England. Having loved that particular piece of work, I set myself up for something in the same vein.

But to cut straight to the chase: I came out of reading Beware the Wild feeling rather "meh" about it. By comparison to other YA titles out there, it is definitely one of the
emily
it's been far too long since a book sucked me right in and i sat down and devoured it in one sitting.

thank fuck for this book. i needed it. i needed it so badly. it gets five stars and a hug because of how badly I needed this book. (it's probably more of a 4/4.5-ish star, because I'm always hesitant to give out fivers for some reason, but fuck it, it gets 5 because it hit me when I needed it.)

it has all sorts of elements meant to entice me: southern setting, sibling relationships, fairy-tale fe
Farrah
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dark, creepy, and engaging, Beware the Wild was a fantastic YA read. I really liked this delightfully dark book. It drew me in, while sending chills down my spine. I really enjoyed reading this wonderful book.

Without a doubt, my favorite part of the book is how the swamp was portrayed as its own character. Ominous and omnipotent, it hung over the characters as they tried to find a way to save Phin. It had a life and a character of its own that was subtly creepy and created a sense of foreboding.
Nook books: June 1, 2018 1 1 Jun 01, 2018 07:49PM
SCBA: Beware the Wild by Natalie C. Parker SCYABANOM1617 1 6 Feb 13, 2016 05:58AM

• Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Winter Falls (Twin Willows, #1)
  • Servants of the Storm
  • Feral
  • Mistwalker
  • Strange Sweet Song
  • Dark Metropolis (Dark Metropolis, #1)
  • Don't Touch
  • Kiss Kill Vanish
  • (Don't You) Forget About Me
  • Stray (Four Sisters, #1)
  • Prophecy of Oz (Prophecy of Oz, #1)
  • Falls the Shadow (Falls the Shadow #1)
  • Get Even (Don't Get Mad, #1)
  • The Weight of Stars (The United States of Asgard)
  • Of Scars and Stardust
  • Chasing Power
  • Sing Sweet Nightingale (The Dream War Saga, #1)

Beware the Wild (2 books)
  • Behold the Bones (Beware the Wild, #2)
“Secrets are never so dangerous as when they've been forgotten.” 14 likes
“She laughs again. It's such a delightful and proper sound that I sit up straighter. I should have a cup of tea in my hand to go with that laugh.” 3 likes