Start by marking “Laminar Flow (The Book of Drachma #1)” as Want to Read:
Laminar Flow (The Book of Drachma #1)

Laminar Flow

(The Book of Drachma #1)

What does being a doctor really feel like? What is it like to get called out in the middle of the night to care for a desperately ill patient, to be the one everyone depends on? Bob Gilsen knows only too well. And what does a fifteenth century physician, who gets called out in the middle of the night in winter, possibly have to offer his patient? This is the beginning of T ...more
Published March 27th 2012 by Tate Publishing

Start your review of Laminar Flow (The Book of Drachma #1)
Alan
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A medical thriller with an important time travel element.

Two doctors separated by 600 years. Both with the same goal. A book. And magical powers.

What an adventure Doctor Cook has created.

Highly recommended for fans of medical thrillers.
Kelly Smith Reviews
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Timothy H. Cook's debut novel doesn't feel like a first time effort. The care that was put into it by the author immediately makes readers feel comfortable with the book, and they will want to read it frequently.
The characters are all realistic, with Bob Gilsen a step above. The care he gives to his patients is touching. Josh, also, is a striking character, with a very important role in the story.
The flashbacks to the previous century are a smooth transition. They will transfix you and make you
Kelscey
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I enjoyed reading this book, there was a bit of medical terminology that I didnt understand but it was minimal so I didnt lose track of what was going on, i quite liked that it was written by a doctor as it came across that he knew what he was saying, rather than someone who just did abit of research. really enjoyed switching between the two stories and then finding that they were linked, can't wait to read books 2 and 3 to see what happens. I won this book with goodreads first reads.
Timothy Cook
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, I've reread this volume, and I have to say, it still stands as a great first book in the series. The Book of Drachma and all the adventure that Shepperton implies can be found here in the first book as an introduction. But more than that, it is the beginning of a grand saga that introduces characters and drama that you will keep with you for life. I have written five volumes, and am writing the sixth. Although it is tempting to say that the sixth will be the last - you never know!

Just to l
L
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A magnificent medical fantasy story that is skillfully written and cleverly plotted.

Dr. Timothy Cook combines medical knowledge and personal experiences, within a refreshingly new fantasy tale that is like nothing you will have encountered before. Appealing to a wide-readership this fascinating insight into the life of a Doctor is inspiring and illuminating, for it captures two very different time frames and experiences. Amid the spinechilling suspense and engaging mystery is a heartwarming tal
Diane
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not one for fantasy, but being a physician makes me a sucker for doctor stories. I do plan to finish the next two books and pretty much really liked the story. I am assured that the errors are cleaned up in the next two books.
Maureen
Dec 12, 2016
Lynda Lynch
Nov 13, 2014
Victoria Eyes
rated it did not like it
Sep 12, 2014
May 11, 2014
Micielle
May 20, 2014
Medicine and fantasy 1 6 May 08, 2012 06:57PM
Born in India, of medical missionary parents, Tim knew from the time he could talk that what he was going to do was to be a physician. But that knowledge did not impede his other interests, which include (but are not limited to) reading, writing, photography, painting and music.
His first venture into the world of writing fiction began in 1989, at which time he wrote what became his first novel. Ho

The Book of Drachma (3 books)
  • Coaptation (The Book of Drachma #2)
  • Turbulence and Restoration (The Book of Drachma #3)

News & Interviews

“We are nearly powerless in our own time, and with our skills, but power will come to future generations, power to harm and to heal. Our task is to observe and record with absolute honesty, to provide fertile soil for the healing power to grow uncorrupted.” 0 likes
“And now, in the middle of the night, in this place and time, I hear this music, and it brings me a sense that I do belong, in someone's strange logic, right here at this time.” 0 likes