Start by marking “November Hunt” as Want to Read:
November Hunt

November Hunt (Murder-by-Month Mystery #7)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  402 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews

November in Battle Lake, Minnesota, is cold enough to freeze the balls off a pool table. It's also deer hunting season. When Tom Kicker is killed in a hunting accident, Mira James is hired to investigate -- a job that brings her closer to a P.I. license (and the unfortunate moniker of "dick"). Braving subzero temps and a shrieking blizzard, Mira uncovers nasty secrets that

ebook
Published March 1st 2012 by Midnight Ink

To ask other readers questions about November Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about November Hunt

Diane DeMasi
November Hunt is my first Jess Lourey book.

Quick recap, Tom Kicker is shot by his best friend, Clive. Tom's daughter hires Mira to investigate because she believes there is more to her father's death than a hunting accident. And, being a mystery, of course there is more.

I love quirky fun reads. I love a mystery and I love a laugh, so this seemed right up my alley.

SPOILER DISCLAIMER: I don't think I really spoil anything, but I point out a few scenes and some lines.

What I Liked:
The quirky chara
Hallie
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For readers looking for comfort food rather than an adrenalin rush, Jess Lourey's "November Hunt" goes down easy. The setting is Battle Lake, Minnesota. It's the last week of November ("cold enough to freeze the balls off a pool table"), hunting season, and a widely respected local businessman named Clive is out hunting deer with his best buddy, Tom Kicker. Clive takes aim at a white-tailed buck, pulls the trigger, and Tom falls down dead.

Tom's daughter, who overheard her father and Clive argui
Caitlin Copp
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: november-2016
It's November in Battle Lake, Minnesota. Mira is still just in the beginning stages of getting her PI license, but that doesn't stop Mrs. Burns from referring Mira her first case. One of Battle Lakes beloved business owners has been shot during a hunting accident, but his daughter is convinced that it wasn't an accident. Mira agrees to look into the case and finds herself knee deep in snow, ice and a decades old scandal.
Julia Wilson
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the book, but missed involvement of Mrs. Berns and the other oldsters. Also, Kennie played a minor role in the story. I do like the evolving heat between Mira and Gary. There also weren't as many recipes or laughs in the book. I still am looking forward to December :)
Terri
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Not sure how I missed the first 5 of this series, so now I have to go back and find them. Nicely written and enjoyabel..not a dark mystery, but has more to it than the "cozy" mysteries.
Sheila
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Loved all the remarks about how cold it is. Very strange and surprising ending. Also, reminds you to watch how much you tell people and make sure they are true friends. good read - recommend this series.
Jen
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as wacky as some of the previous books. When investigating whether or not a death was a "hunting accident" or not, Mira unveils the truth about 4 men and their wild past. Not my favorite. (AND WHY WAS IT SET IN DECEMBER?!?)
Lighthearted
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
November in Battle Lake, Minnesota is extremely cold – so cold that even Richard Simmons would bundle himself in several layers of clothing. It’s not exactly the best time of year to snoop around for clues but Mira James has no choice; Tom Kicker was killed in a hunting accident and his daughter believes there was nothing accidental about it. Mira’s investigation leads back to an incident that happened years ago when Tom was just a teen and it’s making more than one prominent citizen uncomfortab ...more
Lisa
Private-investigator-in-training, Mira James, is hired by the daughter of a man killed in an alleged hunting accident. She juggles this new job with her jobs as the town librarian and news columnist/reporter. She also befriends a newcomer to town who hires Mira to help her find her writer's inspiration/"mojo." I really liked this story! In fact, it may be my favorite yet in the series. My favorite character was Chuck (no spoilers here). I'd like to see more of him in future books. Truth be told, ...more
Andrew Laguna
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that I didnt not expect to be as good as it was. I like hunting and am used to this cold weather setting that takes place in the book so it was easy to relate to. I couldnt stop reading this book. If you like and adventourous, suspensfull, humourous, and fun read then November hunt is it. This book literally starts out with a bang. Clive and Tom are and have been hunting buddies for as long as they have known eachother. Clive has a big buck in his sites and brings the hammer down right as ...more
Terry
When the daughter of a hunting "accident" victim thinks it's a murder case instead, Miranda (Mira) James suddenly gets hired (working on her PI apprenticeship hours). Once again, the small town library worker does her research, discovering that those old secrets can harbor deep resentments. Let's just say that the sins of the past aren't always forgotten. Mira's one of my favorite characters--she's smart, emotionally vulnerable, and willing to take chances. November in Minnesota = mighty cold, s ...more
Nancy
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Since moving to Battle Lake, MN from Minneapolis, Mira James has run across at least one dead body a month from May thru October. Now that it's November, elderly friend Mrs. Berns believes Mira is cut out to be a private investigator, and and puts the wheels in motion for Mira's first step toward her PI license: a woman wants to hire Mira to investigate the death of her father during a hunting trip with his old high school friend. There seems to be much more than just a tragic accident.

Continuin
Tina Axell
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read the whole series and so far, this is the best installment. It had a bit different flavor than the rest, somehow a bit more believable, and I like it. As far as Mira's lovelife...I don't understand how a grown 30 year old woman has a super hot man after her and wants to be a born again virgin. She's not 17. And PLEASE I hope nothing happens between her and the police chief. When did he go from a fruitcake who was dating the flaky mayor and then ran off with a religious zealot to a norma ...more
Myrna
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd book I have read of Lourey's monthly mysteries. Very light, amusing reading. The author does keep you guessing just who might be the guilty one until the end.

Takes place in a small town in Minnesota. One of the towns popular citizens, Tom Kickeer is killed in a hunting "accident" by his best friend, Clive. Toms daughter feels it was murder and hires Mira, a
"want to be" private investigator to find out what really happened. The story takes on a life of its own with a few twists,
Jane White
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book as a gift from a friend who went to a mystery writers conference. I didn't know what to expect but thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a perfect early summer read especially being set in rural Minnesota in the worst November on record.
I like Mira and her quirky perspective on life and as an aspiring PI.
If you like a story that draws you in, with interesting characters and a well done sense of suspense, read this book.
Susan
Library director and would-be investigator Mira is hired to investigate the hunting accident that ended the life of a local businessman and philanthropist. His daughter is sure that more is involved than a mistake on the part of his best friend, who fired the shot that killed him. But nobody wants to take to Mira about the roots of the crime, that lie buried in the past. This is rather darker than others in the series.
Lyra
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Normally, I love this series, but this one was a little off to me. Perhaps I just missed Mrs. Berms or maybe it was the winter and lack of the lush garden descriptions, but something didn't fully click for me. Still, I loved the mojo finding subplot and Mira's personal struggles. She's so relatable. I adore her and can't wait for the December installment.
Amy
Feb 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great installment in the Mira James series. I'm still a bit perturbed about Mira and Johnny, so something BETTER HAPPEN in the next one or else I'll be ticked! It was nice not having Kennie and Mrs. Berns in this book to give it a break from the usual insanity (and so it's not so Evanovich-y).
David Marshall
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is great fun. I'm more used to noirish PI novels but this gives us a whole new view of investigatory techniques (for morons). The solution is also really pleasing although the melodrama of the ending is somewhat contrived. It's well worth reading.

Bev
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked it because it was a Minnesota book, I could really relate to the cold winter weather that she described, I could almost feel it even though we haven't hit it yet. And the main character was very likable, good story. I love the way she writes, kinda' like a train wreck, whamm... no filter humor and real humor.
Gretchen
November in Battle Lake, Minnesota equals snow and freezing temperatures. Add in a hunting accident that may actually be murder, a hunt club, a barn full of marijuana, a glass blower, and the story of a rape 40 years ago. You have this installment of Mira's life.
Reader
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and the plot seemed more complex and elaborate than past installments in the series. I also really like the descriptions of the setting. It really made me feel like I was in winter time battle lake rather than the tropical climate I currently live in!
Valerie
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series, especially the quirky characters in this Minnesota town. The author makes me want to live in Battle Lake, well maybe not in the winter. Entirely enjoyable and a good mystery to boot!!
Kimberly
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book - great series. Looking forward to the next installment. Mira is finally acting a bit more responsible - the PI angle should be interesting. Like the potential relationship developing with Gary.
Angela
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This cosy mystery has fun dialogue, a totally likable (and relatable) main character, and a heart-pounding ending. It's exactly what I look for in a mystery - crisp writing, fantastic metaphors and lots of action.
Bears Library
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I needed a quick read and this just fit the bill. It reminded me of the Stephanie Plum character. I think about the story and the character even several weeks after reading the book. It was a quick read and just the right medicine to get my summer started.
Maureen
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sybermoms-2012
Ok, not great. The characters are all fun but the story just didn't do much for me.
Jessica
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2012, minnesota
Love this series. Cannot wait for the next one!! Probably my favorite author right now.
Carrie
Feb 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out a bit slow, but it ended up being just as exciting and entertaining as the others in the series.
Katie
Sep 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the book. Jess lourey is always a good read!
  • Twice As Dead (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #6)
  • Hasta la Vista, Lola!
  • Read and Buried (Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery #2)
  • A Killer Maize (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #4)
  • Love Her to Death (Daytime Mystery, #2)
  • A Catered Mother's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #11)
  • Bats and Bones (The Frannie Shoemaker Campground Mysteries #1)
  • Picture Perfect Corpse (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #7)
  • Paging the Dead (A Family History Mystery, #1)
  • No Way to Kill a Lady (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #8)
  • Bonnie of Evidence (Passport to Peril, #8)
  • India Black and the Gentleman Thief (Madame of Espionage, #4)
  • Die Smiling (Claire Morgan, #3)
  • Noah's Rainy Day (A Liv Bergen Mystery, #4)
  • A Bad Day for Mercy (Bad Day, #4)
  • The Body in the Gazebo (Faith Fairchild, #19)
  • Darling Dahlias and the Confederate Rose (Darling Dahlias #3)
Jessica (Jess) Lourey is best known for her critically-acclaimed Murder-by-Month mysteries, which have earned multiple starred reviews from Library Journal and Booklist, the latter calling her writing "a splendid mix of humor and suspense." Jessica also writes sword and sorcery fantasy as Albert Lea, edge-of-your-seat YA adventure as J.H. Lourey, and magical realism, literary fiction, and thriller ...more
More about Jess Lourey...

Murder-by-Month Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • May Day (Murder-by-Month Mystery, #1)
  • June Bug (Murder-by-Month Mystery #2)
  • Knee High by the Fourth of July (Murder-by-Month Mystery #3)
  • August Moon (Murder-by-Month Mystery #4)
  • September Fair (Murder-by-Month Mystery #5)
  • October Fest (Murder-by-Month Mystery #6)
  • December Dread
  • January Thaw
  • February Fever
  • March of Crime (The Murder-By-Month Mysteries)