Start by marking “Đứa trẻ cát” as Want to Read:
Đứa trẻ cát

Đứa trẻ cát

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  1,148 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
Đứa trẻ cát xuất bản tại Pháp năm 1985, được báo chí Pháp ca ngợi và độc giả đón đọc say mê ngay từ khi phát hành. Đêm thiêng là phần tiếp nối và bổ sung cho đề tài Đứa trẻ cát nổi tiếng đã đưa T.B. Jelloun đến với giải Goncourt năm 1987.

Chuyện xảy ra tại một khu đông dân của một thành phố Ả Rập, ông chủ lò gốm cay cú vì vợ sau 7 lần sinh chỉ toàn là con gái. Cảm thấy xấu
ebook, 1st, 311 pages
Published April 21st 2011 by Bookaholic Club (first published 1985)

Zanna
Apr 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Zanna by: Lucinda
What struck me most strongly about this work is the intense male supremacy it highlights. The laws of inheritance that Ahmed/Zahra's father's deception is designed to subvert are significant, and the voice-shifting, fragmented, erased and reiterated narration of Ahmed/Zahra's experience provides an interesting perspective to embody gender conflict, but I am most haunted by the seven nameless sisters, the meagre Macabeas who, being female, are excluded from public and narrative space.

Ahmed/Zahra'
Randal Doering
Oct 14, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book sucked. I've read other work by Ben Jelloun and really enjoyed "A Palace in the Old Village", but The Sand Child was miserable. The book starts out with a gripping premise, that a Moroccan man has seven daughters and really, really wants a boy. So when the eighth child is born a girl, the man decides to hell with it and declares her to be a boy, a fiction which he works hard to maintain until the end of his days. So far so good. Then the girl (whose name is Mohammed Ahmed) mopes around ...more
Aron Grimsson
Mar 02, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated this book. It was on the reading list of a course I was taking so I had to finish it but it was the closest I have ever come to being tortured. Seriously, only buy this book if it is to give to a terrible, terrible enemy.
Nate D
This is a deeply strange book well beyond its unusual initial premise, that of an Islamic Moroccan girl raised as a boy to thwart sexist inheritance law. The early, fairly direct, study of social conventions and restrictions shifts as the protagonist takes on self-awareness and finds voice in the narrative. Soon, the story is overrun by sex, sexism, and sexuality, by desire and divided identity. As identity fragments, so does the narrative, as it changes hands between many tellers, some of whom ...more
Haifa
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, reviewed
She joined the circus and it all went downhill from there.
Lucinda
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't help but feel, after having finished the Sand Child, that at least part of the story has eluded me. I kept having the nagging sense that there was stuff referred to about which I was totally ignorant and so I couldn't pick up the allusions, be they cultural or historical or religious. This is definitely a book that requires multiple readings, if not close study. It requires excavation, a slow uncovering of all its treasures.

There are two elements to the book that fascinate me most, and a
Marcia Letaw
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2017, morocco
A story is like a house, an old house, with different levels, rooms, corridors, doors and windows. Locks, cellars, useless spaces. The walls are its memory. Scratch the stone a little, hold your ear to it, and you will hear things!

Ellen Pierson
From the beginning this story is veiled – a story within a story. On the novel’s fifth page we are introduced to a ‘storyteller’ who has already begun the tale of Ahmed, a Moroccan man who is actually a woman. The temporal progression is linear at first. Through the storyteller, we hear of the woes of Ahmed’s father, whose wife has given birth to seven daughters. Determined to be the architect of his own fate, he announces that his eighth daughter is his son. Ahmed grows up with the realization ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
This was selected as a January/February group read in my Great African Reads group here in GoodReads. So of course I had not read it until now. To be fair, it isn't the easiest book to get a copy of, and I had to wait until mine came in from interlibrary loan.

In The Sand Child, a father is anticipating his eighth child (and eighth daughter) so he declares that the child will be male, regardless of reality. Ahmed is raised as a man and benefits from the various perks of being male in Morocco, fr
Maria Beltrami
Ci sono libri che andrebbero letti una sola volta, per conservare intatta la magia della scoperta di una narrazione diversa da quella normalmente sperimentata, perché la storia continui a scintillare intatta nella memoria, senza che la ripetizione di una narrazione conosciuta la faccia scivolare in secondo piano rispetto al modo in cui è narrata.
Questo è quanto mi è successo rileggendo a moltissimi anni di distanza Creatura di sabbia.
L'eccesso di parole si è mangiato la storia, che pure trovavo
Marieke
I'm not sure how I am reacting to this book. It was hard to read at times for different reasons. It was also not especially enjoyable. It was hard to get through the final third and by the last chapter I got the suspicion that Tahar Ben Jalloun spent too much time reading Borges before he wrote this story. But I don't actually know anything about Ben Jalloun yet, so that may be unfair of me.
Barbara
Ich habe mich viel mehr mit diesem mir spontan wenig zusagenden Buch beschäftigt, als ich wollte. Weil das möglich war, es also so viel Auseinandersetzung zulässt, steigt es in der Wertung. Dennoch mag ich ihm keine ganzen 3 Sterne geben.

Den Text auf französisch zu lesen, war für mich eine Herausforderung, hat aber gerade was die Geschlechterrollen von Ahmed/Zahra betrifft, seinen besonderen Reiz: Die Adjektivendungen z.B. verraten, wann Ahmed/Zahra sich als Frau fühlt und wann nicht oder beide
Emm
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the first 2/3rds of this book to be enthralling! The characters where fascinating and complex, particularly Ahmed/Zahara and his wife, Fatima. I responded most passionately to Ahmed's journal entries and mysterious correspondences in which he recounts his struggle with gender identification, the process of becoming aware of his female body and his disgust with the stereotypes of his cultural context. The french is beautiful and simple in these moments.

The only reason I didn't give this b
Les Sadiq
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
« Je veux intensément glisser au fond des livres. Je veux partager la vie de ces caractères fictionnels pour une fois. Je veux les accompagner.» C’était mes premières pensées en lisant la partie racontée par le troubadour aveugle. Bon, à vrai dire, je ne m’attendais pas vraiment à cela. « L’enfant que tu mettras au monde sera un mâle, ce sera un homme, il s’appellera Ahmed même si c’est une fille ! ». Ça attire l’attention, non ? L’histoire est celle d’un homme qui a sept filles et qui ne veut q ...more
Sara Fischer
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It had so much to love: long, frequent, passionate and desperate monologues; bizarre, dream-like flights; gender flux; strange settings that I could conjure up from memory, and totally odd ones that only exist in my mind; multiple endings and narrators; contradiction; and special guest stars. This book was challenging and beautiful. The overt culturally-established gender bias is a beautiful allegory for the French colonization of Morocco. The balance between power and powerle ...more
Rachel
Aug 14, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that can read french
the idea of this book, pretty cool. a rich man with seven daughters decides that the eighth will be a boy, correct equipment or not. and of course the boy grows up mad spoiled frets about his death and there you go. not that original, but not that uninteresting. but a lot of the book gets lost in translation. my professor worked to give us a more accurate translation but i think the kick dissolves en anglais...read it in french
Zei
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: médiathèque
Je n'ai littéralement pu m'arracher ce livre des mains qu'avec une force extraordinaire et seulement à cause de mes études et de mes devoirs!
Sublime, magnifique, triste, poignante, merveilleuse, bouleversante, terrifiante, majestueuse...C'est une histoire du destin et de la volonté, des autres et du moi, de la naissance et de l'anéantissement.
Une histoire sans début ni fin car c'est l'histoire de toutes les femmes, et d'une seule femme, mais d'aucune femme!
Mary
Dec 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a weird book but it really makes you wonder about why we value boys more than girls at birth. Having three daughters I heard people say things to us like "you gonna try again for a boy?" or "oh, that's too bad, maybe next time you'll get a boy" and "I bet you are disappointed". Rude! Obviously, this book represents those people! This book is also narrated differently - with multiple narrators and the absence of the main character's voice. Good to read more than once.
Olga Kowalska (WielkiBuk)
A magical, arabian tale about the power of words and the infinite power of storytelling. Different times, different voices recreating one legend of a girl hidden in a boy's body. However it is not about her at all - nothing is true, nothing is sure - it is life and creation that emerge from the tale itself that are truly significant.
Nihal
May 15, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the idea of the book, a woman raised as a man, I immediately remembered the Albanian Sworn virgins who are destined to live as men in their societies. Kinda art imitates life. But the book was way too lyrical for my taste. I literally had to read only the first lines in complete paragraph to be able to continue this relatively short book!
Dhia Bousselmi ( ضياء البوسالمي )
Extraordinaire ! Histoire de la vie, la naissance, le mal, la mort et le néant!
Un couple qui a sept filles et le père qui considère la huitième comme un garcon « L’enfant que tu mettras au monde sera un mâle, ce sera un homme, il s’appellera Ahmed même si c’est une fille ! » !
Elle va devenir Ahmed ou Lalla Zahra ? Un homme ou une femme ? C'est'un mythe qui va déranger une société malade !
Victor Morosoff
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Touchant et plein de traces nostalgiques, "L'enfant de sable" est le récit d'une quête éternelle de soi et, en même temps, représente l'ouverture vers un univers qui appartient totalement aux rêves, aux histoires mémorables et aux conteurs énigmatiques, entourés par les arômes exotiques des places arabes...
Sorin Hadârcă
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: africa
O istorie care ar fi putut să fie tulburătoare dacă ar fi avut un final și, posibil, mai puține arabescuri. În cele din urmă, ce? Un potențial frustrat la umbra lui Borges care, fără preaviz, își face apariția spre finalul romanului și tot degeaba.
Rita
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wat een bijzonder en mooi boek. Gender en verschillen wel heel gevarieerd en poetisch beschreven. En het gaat over verhalen vertellen en doorvertellen en doorvertellen.... Je wordt veel zijwegen ingestuurd, soms waaiert het me wat te ver uit. Dit boek is een studie waard.
Jarod
Aug 17, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The surrealism felt contrived, and I found the book seemed generally superficial. The premise is laid out, but the social context is not explored, and the protagonist's identity crisis is not even very nuanced.
Alexis
Apr 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise was really interesting, for me it brought up a lot of questions that were kind of glossed over. The language however was beautiful and I walked away with a lot of quotables. Great story overall.
Maura
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Interesting premise to the book, but the story gets a little disjointed about halfway thorough. Would have preferred a more cohesive ending.
Colettemariehayes
Need to read this in French.
Konstantin
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serious, j-adore
[rating = A]
It is as if Jorge Louis Borges, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and Italo Calvino came together to write a social and postcolonial critique! The main story is simple enough (and then again, it never really is); it is about a girl who is born to be raised as a man. This happens and she is named Ahmed (note that her/his name starts with the first letter of the alphabet). As she/he grows, Ahmed begins to discover that she/he likes the fact of being male, for the privileges and such. This is whe
Ayse Sasmazel
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Amazingly weird, beautiful and powerful.
  • Fantasia
  • Butterfly Burning
  • Your Name Shall Be Tanga
  • The Beggars' Strike
  • Dreams of Trespass: Tales of a Harem Girlhood

“Pain, too, comes from depths that cannot be revealed. We do not know whether those depths are in ourselves or elsewhere, in a graveyard, in a scarcely dug grave, only recently inhabited by withered flesh. This truth, which is banal enough, unravels time and the face, holds up a mirror to me in which I cannot see myself without being overcome by a profound sadness that undermines one's whole being. The mirror has become the route through which my body reaches that state, in which it is crushed into the ground, digs a temporary grave, and allows itself to be drawn by the living roots that swarm beneath the stones. It is flattened beneath the weight of that immense sadness which few people have the privilege of knowing. So I avoid mirrors.” 18 likes
“كفاني ما اعتزلت. لا بد أنني تجاوزت الحدود التي فرضتها على نفسي. من عساني أكون حالياً؟ لا أجرؤ على النظر إلى نفسي في المرآة. ما هي حالة بشرتي ومظهري وهيأتي؟ لشدما أنهكتني العزلة وهدني الصمت. أحطت نفسي بالكتب وتسربلت بالسر. وها أنذا اليوم ألتمس الخلاص. مم على وجه التحديد؟ أمن الخوف الذي اختزنته؟ أمن هذه الطبقة من الضباب التي كانت لثامي وغطائي؟ أمن تلك العلاقة بالآخر الذي بداخلي، ذاك الذي يكاتبني
ويمنحني انطباعاً غريباً بأنني لا أزال من هذا العالم؟ هل أتخلص من قدر ما أم من الشهود الأوائل؟ لقد ألفت فكرة الموت بحيث لم تعد صالحة لتكون ملاذي. فلأخرج إذن. آن الأوان لأولد من جديد. لن أتغير في الواقع، بل سأكتفي بالعودة إلى نفسي، إلى ما كنته قبل أن يبدأ القدر الذي لفقوه لي في السريان ويجرفني داخل أحد التيارات”
17 likes