Start by marking “13 Women: Parables from Prison” as Want to Read:
13 Women: Parables from Prison

13 Women: Parables from Prison

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  30 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
However their stories differ in the details, all of the women in this book speak about their time in prison with eloquence and admirable candor. Some have spent most of their lives behind bars; for others, prison was a one-time experience. Most were incarcerated for offences related to drugs and theft. Several were involved in violent crimes. Three — Betty Krawczyk, Ann Ha ...more
Published February 7th 2006 by Douglas & McIntyre (first published February 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about 13 Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 13 Women

Bart
Nov 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Twelve parables are about individual women, one parable is about indigenous women in Canada. Karlene Faith provides an introduction to each person, and then most follow with an account from interviews with or writings of incarcerated women in California in the 1970s and in Canada more recently. Faith then reflects on the woman's experiences at the end of each parable. The accounts are very engaging and the incarcerated women and Faith's analyses are apt. The selection of parables is kind of stra ...more
Amanda
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I really took my time with this one. There's just something about the solidarity between women who have reached the bottom that speaks of the strength that can be found in weakness. Something else that stood out to me was the power of literacy. Almost all of these women clung tightly to reading and writing to cope and many of these stories are victories. Recommend to anyone interested in womens studies, equality or just interested in prison culture.
Jenn
Nov 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Hearing the stories from all walks of women's prison life was amazing. Some have a real talent to tell a story, some of been telling it for so long that it is engrained in theor lives forever.

An awesome set of short stories by women in prison for a variety of reasons.
Leilani
Jun 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
In 1971, 600 women were in prison in California. Today, there are over 11,000. Here some of those women's stories. It is absolutely devastating to read. Fuck prisons.
Sabrina Ali
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Stories that need to be told. When we as a society punish people, do we look at who we are producing and letting out back into the streets after their time is served?
Jess
Dec 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs-bios
The stories of 13 women all incarcerated in California for a variety of crimes. One of the authors is a Leslie van Houten supporter, which really intrigues me. Interesting read, overall!
L A
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
So good. Women's studies lit at it's finest.
Jim
Jan 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I've recommended this book because it is important for others to understand how messed up our "justice system" is, a reflection of our society.

Amanda
Kelly
Aug 09, 2007
Heidi Anderson
Jul 06, 2012
A human rights activist for five decades, Karlene Faith is Canada's leading feminist sociologist on prisons. Her seminal book, Unruly Women, raised many crucial questions that define the prison reform movements of today. Co-founder of the revolutionary Santa Cruz Women’s Prison Project in 1972, and author of many books on criminology and women’s studies, Faith is currently professor emerita at Sim ...more
More about Karlene Faith...