Start by marking “The Unbound (The Archived, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Unbound (The Archived, #2)

The Unbound

(The Archived #2)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  10,905 ratings  ·  1,771 reviews
Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books. Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures that only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.

Last summer, Mackenzie Bishop, a Keeper tasked with stopping violent Histories from escaping the Archive, almost lost her life to one. Now, as sh
Published January 28th 2014 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Unbound, please sign up.
Jennifer Lee Rossman I wouldn't recommend it. This book does not explain the world of the Archive nearly as well as the first, and much of The Unbound happens because of…moreI wouldn't recommend it. This book does not explain the world of the Archive nearly as well as the first, and much of The Unbound happens because of events in The Archived, which are only sort of rehashed in this one. I think it would be very confusing to read them out of order.(less)
Meredith It's not exactly a cliffhanger, but as there is a third book planned, it's not the conclusion. It's similar to the end of the Archived I believe -…moreIt's not exactly a cliffhanger, but as there is a third book planned, it's not the conclusion. It's similar to the end of the Archived I believe - there's just more story to tell, but it's not like characters are in danger.(less)

·  10,905 ratings  ·  1,771 reviews

Victoria Schwab
Jun 16, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Writing this book gave me hives. Finishing it gave me an ulcer. Revising it made me hypertensive.

I am pretty sure it nearly killed me.

Here's hoping it doesn't hurt you to read. At least not in the same ways it hurt me to write.

(And yes, there is a metric ton of Wesley Ayers.)
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked this even more than The Archived! It expands the world a lot, and I simply adored the new characters we’re introduced to. Also, Wesley is definitely new book boyfriend material.

I know this series was meant to have a third instalment, and I truly hope we get one someday. But I was very happy with how this book ended.
Kai
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, 2015
“Smiling is the worst thing you can do if you want the world to think you're okay when you're not.”

So this could've been the perfect book but there was one big thing - or better, a character - which annoyed me to the point where I wanted to stop reading: Owen Chris Clarke. I thought this chapter was over and I hoped I would not have to see him again in the sequel, but I did. Much to my disappointment he had a huge impact on the plot. Apart from him, this book was awesome and flawless and Vic
may ❀

Buddy read #2 with the Knightess

The best feeling ever is when a book and its characters and its plot and its setting captivates you to a point where you’d rather live forever between its pages than return to real life.

And this book has done that for me.

description

The second book in the Archived series, Unbound continues a few weeks after we left book one. Mackenzie is about to begin school at the prestigious Hyde School and despite her very normal teen worries, her constant daunting nightmares are beginn
prag ♻
To all the people: who like me, thought A Gathering of Shadows was the best Victoria Schwab, or anybody for that matter could do?

I love everything about this book. Everything.
→ I love Roland.
→ I love Wesley Ayers.
→ I love Dallas.
→ I even like Cash, poor guy.
But above them all, I love Mackenzie Bishop.
You know why? Because as Roland would say, she makes things infinitely more interesting.

(Which reminds me, this was BR #2 with Joshua Templeman's biggest fan, who made things infinitEverything.→
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
ALL! THE! STARS!

Wowsers! I mean, seriously, I didn't think it could get more awesome than The Archived, but holy wow, it SO DID! Lovedlovedloved it! And now I must devour every known work by Victoria Schwab. Every. Known. Work.

_______________________________________

I re-read The Archived prior to picking up my prized galley of The Unbound because, well...because of the Wesley Ayers. Among other things.  But, gawd, if I wasn't stoked  for the sequel before (and I was, I really was), then to say that giving that bad boy another read did unspeakable things to my determination to read The Unbound stat and without interruption would be an understatement.

I don't know about you,read TheI was),of There-read The
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)

Oh guys, I loved this book much more than the first one, so I'm very happy to have continued with the series, although I feel that it wasn't very smart of me, since now I want more and I've realized that there are no more books after this one for the moment and I'm just like WHY!?

4.5/5 Stars

You can find this one and more of my review on my blog A Book. A Thought.

Let's talk about this wonderful book, in this installment we'll see Mackenzie confronting her demons and being forced to make decisions that could change everything, including to The Archived itself. We see her battle against her own nightmares in which Owen appears to torture her and kill her inside them, but then Mack begins to have mental gaps and she start to wake up with wounds in his body; and with the Archive more and more over her everything begins to become more and more complicated

This time I feel that it has been much darker than the previous one, we have alot of suspense and mystery moments, where I was like: "What the fuck is going on?!", I loved that, I really enjoy that the story is layers of wrapping me of the form in which it did, then surprise me and take me completely off guard.
I feel that what differentiates this book from the previous one, is that in this one begins to questioning The Archived alot and the reason of its actions, which I found super interesting. I enjoyed the most of the book, I would have liked to have more Da during the story, maybe in flashbacks, but even so I can't complain, the whole plot is told in a brilliant way and I feel that I probably enjoyed this second installment more due to that I already understand more this world and how it works, so it was easier to get into it than with the first one.

Owen is the evil character, you know, the one who comes to create problems, and although we knew him in the first book as the good guy who earns the Mackenzie's trust, I think that this time, you see how he no longer conceals his evil and his true personality so I liked him more, it's a very good character. He returns with this idea of being something like a "revolutionary" to change all the rules of the Archive, and with his incredible dialogues with Mack has won a very important place in this book. I also feel that he plants many doubts, lies and mysteries throughout the plot and this makes everything have that creepy vibe that I love!

description

I'm very pleased with the Mackenzie's growth during The Unbound, I feel that in the end she has grown a lot and although I've always known that she's brave, this time she really has shown that she can fend for herself. I have been able to see her in a more human and sensitive way than she was before, I think this change is a good thing because it makes me feel even closer to her

I have to confess that Mack's relationship with Wesley isn't my favorite, I feel somewhat disoriented by the way they come and go, and eventually I get tired, I really don't get it lol. In this book I feel that Wesley is left aside and has been almost irrelevant, his presence wasn't indispensable according to my point of view and sometimes even I forgot that he was there, and although I liked him in the first book, I feel that definitely he's not one of my favorite characters

We have the integration of many new characters that contribute a lot to the plot, I feel that, as I said in the previous review of the first book, the secondary characters are splendid, I love them, I find them super diverse and entertaining, also their personal stories are very well told.

There's a lot of family drama in this installment, and I still don't know how I feel about Mack's mother, sometimes I don't understand her behavior.
Also we'll see how the world of the Archive begins to mix much more with the real world and although that makes that we see our main character lie even more, I feel that it has gone great and it gives much adrenaline and all this agreed with the creepy scenes was amazing !. I want to emphasize as always the Victoria Schwab writing style, so good!

description

It's a shame that there are no more books of the saga, I'm crazy to continue reading about this world, I also thought that the end has been too open and I think the story deserves a better closure

I highly recommend these books if you're looking for a fast, entertaining, dark and action-packed reading, also the characters are incredible
Phrynne
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed The Archived so much I had to move on quickly to its sequel. There's always a danger that the second book in a series does not match up to the first but this one does. It actually reminded me a lot of Twilight since our heroine starts a new school and immediately gets herself into a bit of a love triangle. However the action outside the school quickly picks up and the last part of the book races to a dramatic and very satisfying climax. I am now in that awful position of waiting for the next book to b ...more
Syd the Kid
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
Rating: ALL THE STARS!!!!

This series is so unique, action-pack, humorous, and it keeps you on your toes. I wish more people would give this series a chance because this book it underrated/heavily slept on. Although, because not many have experienced this amazing book, I feel special for being a part of the small few :). But for real...
READ!!! IT!!!
NOW!!!

P.S. Wes is a very pretty excuse. Hehe
Iris
I love this series. So much. This was a great sequel to a great book.

Short list of things to love:

- The world building was fantastic! (I mean, it's Schwab, so of course.)

- The characters not only are really likeable, but also had some GREAT development in this book! They felt way more unique in this one.

- The plot was murderous and exciting!

- The new side characters were fantastic too!

- THE BANTER!

- Literally everything.
Ferdy
2.5 stars - Spoilers

Not as good as the first book, it was mostly disappointing. The latter half of The Unbound was quite good, unfortunately the first half was a struggle to get through as nothing really happened except the main character whining non-stop about her life.

-What's what: Mackenzie is a Keeper, she finds Histories (escaped ghosts of sorts) and returns them to the Archive where they're kept.
In this one Mackenzie starts her new school. And then people go missing, she thinks it has to
Melodramaticfool
No sequel trauma here! What a knockout!!

Back with our independent heroine Mac, we start off with a new beginning, a new territory: school. Mackenzie is trying to cope with the trauma she experienced in the previous book with Owen, while attempting to take control of her life. Easier said than done in her case.

She finds it of course difficult since she suffers from morbid night terrors involving Owen that start to bleed into her waking life making her wonder if she's slowly going insane. What's especially difficult is
Steph Sinclair
Thank goodness this didn’t fall victim to Second Book Syndrome. While I do think I enjoyed The Archived a tiny bit better than The Unbound, this was still up there as a tightly-plotted and well-written book. The best thing about both books is that the mystery is really solid. My mind was constantly trying to figure out who the bad guy was or how things would turn out in the end, but it surprised me. Also, more Wesley FTW! The thing that bugged me was Mac’s inability to trust Wesley. I understand ...more
Ronda
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-favourites

Brilliant!

2nd book and it's sitting right next to the first one on my 2017 favourite shelf!

Ms Schwab has done it again. I loved the first book, it was so different to anything I've ever read before. The fact that Histories are people that have died and they are stored like books in a library was one of the reasons this series caught my attention. The first book delved into the mysteries right away and the way the story played out had me anticipating the moves and getting them entirely wrong... An amazing read. Along comes/>Ms/>2nd
adeline
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(4,5)

Victoria Schwab strikes again! Every time I finish one of her books I get so emotional, and this time is no different.
This sequel was so good! I just hope in a third book, cause I've grown very attached to this series and its characters and I'm not ready to leave them yet.
Pinky
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Another beautiful installment to this series, this book is the second book in the Archived series or duo-logy. (I hope it becomes a trilogy, please make it a trilogy!) This was just so good, I am so happy I read this book on Christmas because it made my day. After writing my last review, for the first book, the Archived, I get com
MyTimeOutShelf
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series and I can't believe I don't hear talk of it more often!! Such a unique world! Perfectly dark and mysterious...and that's why Victoria Schwab is the QUEEN!!! Great ending...I felt like I wasn't left with a major cliffhanger but I definitely want more!!
☆ Mira ✷
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ghost lovers, library goers, everyone in the Schwabdom
6 stars. The good sis Victoria Schwab has somehow gone and done it again. I love how every sequel she writes is like its predecessor but more thrilling, sexier, and a whole new level of hell. Basically, book 1 on crack.

So, for the approximately 3 people who don't know, Victoria Schwab is the best fantasy author in the modern world. The Archived is a duology she wrote before making it big. I don't know why this one wasn't as successful as her later books, as it's amazing! The protagonist, Mackenzie, is a ghost hunt
Jess
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Prep school Wesley was a thing that I never knew of but holy hell, am I glad it exists.

description

You'll never get a real review from me. I put this book off for exactly a year. I just needed to know Wesley's real name. But instead I was hit by a truck of emotions. Apparently I was so caught up the first time that I didn't even rate The Archived. Why was past!Jess so lazy? Half the load of words that I've read in my lifetime aren't even recorded because I a) think too highly of myself and hence believe that I'm
emi
Can Victoria Schwab be any better of a writer? This book was everything I hoped it would be and more. I just want to live in the world of the Archived.
nico
Apr 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I don't think I am capable of writing an organized review right now, so I'm just going to list some things I liked and disliked. Maybe I'll do a proper review for this book and The Archived one day, but right now I am horribly stumped.

Things I Liked About This Book:

Roland (view spoiler) Y'all have no idea how happy this makes me, because he's like a father figure to Mac and you know what happens to father figures? They get killed. And given tha/>
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
Buddy read with the adorable Anna and the fabulous Elena

*4.5 Stars*

"Open your eyes," he warns.
I drag them open and find his face inches from mine. "Why?" I growl. "So I can see the truth?"
His smile sharpens. "No," he says. "So I can watch the life go out of them."
And then he drives the knife forward into my chest.

Well, well, well.....color me surprised. You see, I received an ARC after finishing book one of this series, so immediately after I chose to read it...before this one. Bad mistake, my dears-Because what happened was that I became soStars*
Lea (drumsofautumn)
I am completely broken. It's not a secret what these books mean to me but I think I hadn't quite realized the impact myself before this reread. I wish I had words to describe it but I just don't think these words exist.

“You sound like thunderstorms and heavy rain, did you know that?” He lets out a soft, low laugh. “I never liked bad weather. Not until I met you.”

I can't believe there are people out there who find Mac's struggles "annoying". This is Order of the Phoenix all over again. M/>
- ̗̀ bibliophile ̖́-
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Unbound takes off where the first book ended. Although the novel started off very slow, as the story took off, it elaborated through the impressive plot and writing. This novel is far more darker than the first installment, very much sinister in certain aspects. Mackenzie battles with post-traumatic stress disorder. After the scandal and aftermath of Owen she starts to drown in her own fear and is unable to distingish between what is real and what is not. The world building was so complex an ...more
Lela
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Whew. That was great!! 4 stars!! Review to come.
Robin (Bridge Four)
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

3.5 hearts

Unbound is the second book of the Archived series and needs to be read after The Archived or you will have no idea what is happening.  It starts up at the end of the summer as Mac is getting ready for her first day of school. This has a solid conclusion for the story arc, but I didn’t quite enjoy it as much as the first book due to/>/>Review
Liz
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-read
“You can't be two people. You end up being neither.”

Dark, so dark. Beautifully morbid. At times downright sinister. Perfect!

This sequeel differs very much from the first book. In the atmosphere, the setting, the characters' behaviour. It is much darker, for instance.
Mackenzie Bishop is still recovering from the events of the summer when school starts. She is haunted by nightmares that seem to be too real to be only nightmares. Slowly she loses herself in fear, and there is so much to fear for her. An
Sue (Hollywood News Source)

Review also posted at Young Adult Hollywood

It’s one of those days that I wish my review would write itself and I hope it would do justice in describing how brilliant The Unbound is. You have no idea how I nearly cried when I got the approval to read the E-arc of The Unbound. I could have sworn the angels were weeping with me.

The Unbound follows up where The Archived left off, as Mac starts her junior year at Hyde School. She’s struggling, trying to get her normal life back, but moving on isn’t easy when someone

Karen Sutanto
Before reading:
DID SHE MOVE? IS THERE NO MORE WESLEY?

WHY VICTORIA SCHWAB WHYYY

After reading:
GAAAHHHH!!!!! I AM BOMBARDED WITH SO MANY FEELS. AND WESLEY O M G AAAAAAAA.

(review to come VERY SOON)

FINAL REVIEW

ARGH OKAY I have no idea how to start this review but okay let’s do this.

I always have a fear for sequels. Fears that the second book would not achieve the greatness of the first or that it won’t be as good. BUT… The Unbound was fantastic! I loved it as much (or possibly even more) than The Archived.

This book had so much emotion in it and I absolutely loved how MackenSOON)
FINAL
Ari
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Question time: when dreams and nightmares and life align together, how do you break free, how do you tell real from unreal? How do you find the force to move on when you are breaking apart?

Victoria Schwab writes exquisitely, there’s such a vivid world created, so complex and dark and full of mystery and anguish. The mental breakdown of the main character was beautifully described and (at least

• Dust to Dust (Ashes #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Fragile Spirits (Souls, #2)
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
  • Mistwalker
  • In the Shadows
  • Her Dark Curiosity (The Madman's Daughter, #2)
  • The Fall of Gods (A Welcome to the Underworld Novel, #2)
  • The Nightmare Dilemma (The Arkwell Academy, #2)
  • Split Second (Pivot Point, #2)
  • Crushed (Soul Eaters, #2)
  • Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy, #3)
  • Feather Bound
  • Infinite (Newsoul, #3)
  • A Shard of Ice (Black Symphony, #1)
  • Nothing But Blue
  • Warrior (The Dragon King Chronicles, #2)
  • Tsarina
Victoria is the product of a British mother, a Beverly Hills father, and a southern upbringing. Because of this, she has been known to say "tom-ah-toes," "like," and "y'all."

She also tells stories.

She loves fairy tales, and folklore, and stories that make her wonder if the world is really as it seems.

The Archived (3 books)
  • The Archived (The Archived, #1)
  • The Returned (The Archived, #3)
“The funny thing about armor is that it doesn't just keep other people out. It keeps us in. We build it up around us, not realizing that we're trapping ourselves.” 151 likes
“It’s okay to not be okay,” she says. “When you’ve been through things—whatever those things are—and you don’t allow yourself to not be okay, then you only make it worse. Our problems will tear us apart if we try to ignore them. They demand attention because they need it.” 71 likes