Start by marking “Далеко за полночь” as Want to Read:
Далеко за полночь

Далеко за полночь

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  1,928 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Полночь - это дверь, ведущая в волшебную даль. За ней могут скрываться история первой любви и украденный попугай Хемингуэя, самозародившееся знойным летом зло в людском обличье и заводной Бернард Шоу, воскресенье в Дублине и отпуск в Мексике у подножия грозного вулкана.
В этих двадцати двух рассказах - квинтэссенция зрелого Брэдбери, на полпути от "Золотых яблок Солнца" к
Published 2010 by Эксмо, Домино (first published September 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Далеко за полночь, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Далеко за полночь

Char
The October Game was my favorite story in Long After Midnight. It's one of those tales where the last line punches you right in the gut.

Unfortunately, many of the rest of the stories didn't resonate with me. Perhaps I read this collection too close to The Martian Chronicles? I couldn't help but compare the two and The Chronicles always came out ahead.

I'm still happy that I read this collection, as my goal is to read all of Ray Bradbury's work. I guess not all of his stories are going to knock
Bettie☯

Description: In twenty-two stories of amazing range and variety, Ray Bradbury once again works his special magic, sounding out life's mysteries in the past, present, and the future.

"The Blue Bottle"
"One Timeless Spring"

"The Parrot Who Met Papa": amusing story with many lit references

"The Burning Man"
"A Piece of Wood"
"The Messiah"
"G.B.S.-Mark V"
"The Utterly Perfect Murder"
"Punishment Without Crime"
"Getting Through Sunday Somehow"
"Drink Entire: Against the Madness of Crowds"
"Interval in
Shawn
In my review of The October Country, I noted that Ray Bradbury was one of the first writers I read as a boy. I'll expand a little on that in this review. I bought this paperback in, roughly, 1979 in either Waldenbooks or B. Daltons, from the Ocean County Mall in Toms River, NJ. I read a few of the stories but then it sat on my shelf for nearly 30 years before, repacking some books, I found it again and decided to read it through.

Ray Bradbury is an odd writer to discuss in this day and age. Renow
Will Collins
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this collection. Bradbury truly was a master word-smith. Some of his lines are so unique they shouldn't work, but they do, spectacularly.

It's hard to choose a favourite story in this anthology. I honestly loved them all.
David
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 12-year-old boys, Messianic Martians, Hitler actors, unhappily married couples
Ray Bradbury is what I would call a literary author who's always labeled as writing genre stories (never mind the debate about what "literary" means in this context); he's a storyteller but his writing is also suffused with poetic flourishes and evocative, moody imagery and dialog that many genre authors skimp on. That said, none of the short stories I've read by him are among my favorite or most memorable. But some of his horror stories are very effectively creepy without any explicit violence. ...more
Christopher Conlon
Not long ago, in a moment of minor personal crisis, I found myself hungering after the literary equivalent of comfort food. Something familiar, but not too familiar—not familiar to the point of boredom. Yet something that would give me a predictably pleasant lift.

Wandering our basement library (which contains some 3000 of those bulky pre-Kindle items earlier generations called “books”), I came across the perfect thing: a copy of “Long After Midnight” by the late Ray Bradbury.

But not just any cop
Terris
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got it done by midnight! This is a group of short stories written in true "Bradbury" style. Always love his stuff!
Mari Mann
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On the cover of this book, above Ray Bradbury's name, is written this line: "The World's Greatest Living Science Fiction Writer." This edition was published in 1976, so this may have been true then (although I'm sure there are many that would disagree with the "greatest"), but now that Ray Bradbury has died, we may say he was our greatest...what? He wrote more than science fiction. He wrote tales of horror ("The October Game"), of summer loves and losses, and of fantasy and witchery. So, like Ku ...more
Evans Light
Aug 29, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-it
Will add reviews for each story as I make my way through, not necessarily in order:

*** DRINK ENTIRE: AGAINST THE MADNESS OF CROWDS

One of the stranger shorts I've read by Bradbury. His poetic language has gone so mad in this one it's barely controlled, in danger of going off the rails. It doesn't, but not by much. There is a moral to this story of a witch and a broken middle-aged soul in NYC, I am sure, but it is late and the message eludes me. Carpe Diem, perhaps? Enjoyable, but not essential.

Nathaniel
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, literature
Ray Bradbury is, along with Philip K. Dick, one of the two science fiction writers I most aspire to emulate. I was reminded of why this is on the first of the 22-stories in this collection.

The quality of the stories in this collection ranges from a couple that didn't resonate with me (3-star or even 2-star) to several that were pitch-perfect and remind me of exactly why it is that I love sci-fi in the first place (5-star). Overall, I give the collection a strong 4-star rating. Some notes:

1. Ray
Deanne
A great collection of some of his short stories.
Wendy Brower
Jun 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is what made me love Ray Bradbury. The Blue Bottle is one of the most brilliant stories ever written. The 2 geniuses of the century...Rod Serling and Ray Bradbury.
Og Maciel
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Would have given it 6 stars if I could
Headraline
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury that I read long ago, but sometimes I simply come back to it and re-read my favorites.
From Sci-fi to fantasy to mild horror, they have an amazing range of tone, rythm and flow, and whenever you're in the mood for a quick but still amazing read that will most likely mess up your mind for the next few hours, this is the right collection to choose (or any form of collection by Ray Bradbury, as I'm afraid this was a version only published in Ita
Chrystal Hays
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky to find a first edition of this one. Although sometimes Bradbury seems a little tame and dreamy, some of these stories have a very contemporary bite.

The title story, "Long After Midnight", would do well to be re-published in the New Yorker today.

I also really liked "Interval in Sunlight", which I have not seen anywhere else and which was first published here. It's painfully modern and more in the field of human nature's ability to terrorize the self. I'd love to see if it could be a
Lorelei
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I found this collection very uneven, with some stories that left me totally uninterested and others that were better, but it ended with a story that is one of my all time favourites, ever, by any author, and so I must rate it the more highly for that. I would pick this up again, anytime, just knowing that I get to enjoy Have I Got a Chocolate Bar for You! at the end.
Dezireen Austin
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What if you thought that everything you ever wanted could be found inside a blue bottle? What if your first few weeks on the job as a policeman found you questioning your profession, and by extension, society? What if a woman frozen in ice offered you the perfect life, absolute love and immunity from everything painful, but the requirement was to marry her, sight unseen? What if the scent of chocolate in a confessional box reignited the passion of a grumpy priest, to save someone's soul, and the ...more
Jonathan
I don’t like short story anthologies. Oh, I read them from time to time, I just almost always end up disappointed. Kind of like every time Christmas rolls around and you see those chocolate medley gift boxes and think to yourself, “I should try one of those. Maybe it won’t taste like burnt hair this time.”

There are multiple reasons for my dislike of short story compilations, not the least of which is the structure of the stories themselves. See the handy-dandy diagram!

I imagine most of you have
Kasey Jane
Wow, I was really struck by how misogynistic some of these stories were! Normally it doesn't bother me -- cultural relativism and all -- but for some reason this collection was distracting in its sexism. That said, it was surprisingly empathetic in its treatment of LGBT issues.

That said, there were a few gems (namely, The October Game) in what was otherwise, sadly, a collection of clunkers. Is this what happens when famous authors need to fill up a collection and use old stuff that wasn't good e
Hilary
This is, by far, my favorite collection of Ray Bradbury's short stories.

Ray Bradbury is a master of fantasy, of sci-fi, and of touching the dreams and the sweet innocence of childhood. He is a wonderful writer, a poetic genius, and stark reminder of how thoroughly writing can shape the mind and pluck the heart. Ray Bradbury is a genius of the short story whose grandeur has only ever been matched by perhaps Jonathan Carroll, if even that.

Ray Bradbury is also a genius of horror.

Stephen King has s
NocturnalBlaze
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Le raccolte di racconti non sono mai facili da recensire, specialmente quando, come in questo caso, presentano storie di molti tipi diversi, con differenti ambientazioni, atmosfere, tematiche.
In generale, posso dire che tutti i racconti qui presenti mi sono piaciuti, alcuni di più ed altri di meno, mi hanno incuriosita e fatta riflettere. Bradbury parla di tutto, dall'amore alla morte, dall'amicizia ai rapporti familiari, passando per delle ambientazioni realistiche o surreali, inserendo element
Matteo Pellegrini
Avvertiamo subito che degli undici racconti qui riuniti da Bradbury per la prima volta in volume soltanto quattro ("La bottiglia Azzurra", "Angelo guarda il futuro", "Un pezzo di legno" e "Breve storia del Quarto Reich") sono di fantascienza in senso stretto. Due ("In trappola" e "I miracoli di Jamie") sono piuttosto di fantasy, mentre un altro ("Gioco d'ottobre") è piuttosto di horror. Ma come classificare i quattro che rimangono? Non li classifichiamo. Ricordiamo invece il giudizio che Kingsle
C
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its been a long time since I read some Ray Bradbury. And frankly, I didn't like his writing nearly as much as I once did.

I grew up with this writer, racing through my dad's huge volume of most of Bradbury's shorts, although maybe not most, as most as about 200 stories is. I recognized some of the stories in this volume that I've read previously. This collection is specifically Bradbury at his spookiest, absolutely fitting for this time of year, and by and large I enjoyed the majority of the stor
Kate
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: literary robots, burning men, selves past and future
Recommended to Kate by: The Twilight Zone
Shelves: science-fiction
"My hands blurred. They made motions that caused an illusion of a dozen hands. Like those pictures of Eastern goddesses they worship in temples. One hand with a tomato in it. One hand grasping a banana. A third hand seizing strawberries! A fourth, fifth, sixth hand caught in midmotion, each with a bit of cheese, olive, or radish!"

"I knew it was all over. I was lost. From this moment on, it would be a touching, an eating of foods, a learning of language and algebra and logic, a movement and an em
Juan
Apr 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Juan by: Joaquín
Nadie es perfecto. Entre mis imperfecciones literarias hay una que chirría bastante, y es que no soy un gran fanático de este Gran Maestro de los buenos géneros; ni siquiera su obra más consagrada me parece superior a otras de otros autores que a mí me parecen sublimes. Cuestión de gustos, supongo, o de aplicación de las teorías de Goebbels.

Esta colección de cuentos, por ejemplo, me ha resultado una auténtica montaña rusa de interés: hay algunos que bien merecerían puestos de honor en las mejore
Ash Ryan
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, short, science, audio
This collection of 22 short stories showcases the range and diversity of Bradbury's writing. There are, of course, science fiction stories set on Mars or aboard rocket ships---such as the opener, "The Blue Bottle"; "The Messiah" about priests on Mars and a Martian who appears to humans in the shape they want to see, similar to a few of the stories in The Martian Chronicles and elsewhere; and "G.B.S.--Mark V", about a robot George Bernard Shaw. There are also scary stories, such as "The Burning M ...more
Violet
Ray Bradbury is my sci-fi grandpa.
A bit weird and somewhat spooky, a lot of crazy and always tells the best stories.
I've read some of these short stories in other compilations, mostly about Mars, and some were new for me. As always, a great balance between characterization and interesting plot devices, with some stories having one or the other and some both, and this book had a lot of stories that really spoke to me. Also, some of them were simply hilarious.
Bradbury's tales on death and belie
Amber Gerber
Raj
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
This collection is a mix of SF and non-genre stories that blend together remarkably well in that way that only Bradbury can do. There's no real theme to the collection, although three of the stories are about other writers (a parrot that could recite Hemmingway; an android of GB Shaw; and a time-travelling Thomas Wolfe). Several of the stories are also about growing old and moving on, and one or two of these had me close to tears.

Favourites include One Timeless Spring which offers an alternative
Ryan Jacob
One of Bradbury's many many collections of short stories, but far from his best (that honor goes to the Martian Chronicles, Dandelion Wine, Something Wicked this Way Comes....).
There are a few standout stories here, but most are forgettable. I had read them all back in high school when I read his collected works and while some of them rang a bell once I started re-reading them, only a few jumped out at me from my memory as stories that had left an impact. That being said, a few stood out for the
  • Honeymoon In Hell
  • The Preserving Machine
  • Otherness
  • One Step from Earth
  • The Science Fiction of Edgar Allan Poe
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec ...more
More about Ray Bradbury...
“But souls can't be sold. They can only be lost and never found again.” 105 likes
“He had never liked October. Ever since he had first lay in the autumn leaves before his grandmother's house many years ago and heard the wind and saw the empty trees. It had made him cry, without a reason. And a little of that sadness returned each year to him. It always went away with spring.

But, it was a little different tonight. There was a feeling of autumn coming to last a million years.

There would be no spring. ("The October Game")”
53 likes