Start by marking “The Human Mind: And How to Make the Most of It” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Human Mind: And Ho...

Robert Winston

The Human Mind: And How to Make the Most of It

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  291 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Where does personality come from? Do we all have the potential to be a Tolstoy, an Einstein or a Mozart? Written by a Professor of Fertility Studies, this accessible book takes us inside our own heads to see what really makes us tick.

From the Hardcover edition.
Published 2004 by BBC Audiobooks (Large Print) (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Human Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Human Mind

Thomas Edmund
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're not familiar with the topics of psychology and/or neurology, than read this book. Winston's summary and discussion of the field is funny, easy(ish) to read and relevant.

If you're like me and read (perhaps too) many books on the topic, how does Winston's piece stack up to other brain heavyweights?

Well he has some strengths: Winston lacks the cold depth many neuro/psychology writers develop. He adds a human touch when discussing ofttimes disturbing psychological findings, without taking
yenni m
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
very neuro/able-bodied/hetero/cis normative, understandably. more interested in reading about neurology and psychology of minority groups.

oh but it was my first sciencey book and i read it all with ease and i skipped the rubbish. moremoremore!
Liam Keogh
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Accessible, fascinating and an absolute joy to read. Second time I've read it, it was every bit as good as I remember. Great to refresh my memory with so many insightful gems
Si
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good read, and worth a look if you're at all interested in how you work.
How the brain works, as far as we know, showing its anatomy, understanding concepts such as love and creativity.
He looks at the power of belief with some amazing results.
He shows different measures of intelligence: e.g. fluid intelligence versus crystallised intelligence, the first being our ability to see, interpret and manipulate relations between things, the second being the knowledge we acquire through experienc
Ellie
I was expecting a little more from this book to be honest. Despite being a scientific person who has a reasonable knowledge of different parts of the brain and their function, I found this book extremely tedious at times and struggled to believe that it would be that accessible to anyone without previous knowledge human biology. There were parts of the book I enjoyed but overall I feel it didn't reach my expectations.
Belinda Munro
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
As someone who is interested in psychology, I found this book very enjoyable. Having watched his tv series, I find Robert Winston fascinating and I respect him as a scientist. Great book - highly recommended for people wanting to learn all about how their mind works. I look forward to reading other books by this author.
Elizabeth Moffat
I really enjoyed Robert Winston's BBC TV series, and was lucky enough to see him lecture in Southampton. This book is fascinating, and I felt I learned so much from it. I don't think we will ever know everything there is to know about our amazing brains.
Ameya Sunil
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is an excellent introduction to neuroscience. Reading the book got me thinking a lot about the role of various enzymes, organs and genes that have shaped human nature. For anyone looking at a window into the world of the brain, this book is definitely a great place to begin.
Jean
Readable but technically detailed book on the brain by non-specialist Robert Winston. Also ventures into theories of the mind/brain by neuroscientists. Excellent overview, only deficient in the lack of an index at the back, which is a serious omission in a book of this type.
Lauren
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first and favourite professor Robert Winston book. Could not recommend it more if you are interested in how the mind works and in psychology. A fascinating and insightful read.
Sebastian Culaja
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
full of short but useful info
Tara
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating exploration of the human mind. Winston, as, always makes science so accessible and easy to understand.
Mim English morgan
Great read; informative and interesting whilst being easy to digest. Particularly of interest to those with a link to psychology - particularly neuropsychology and evolutionary psychology.
Melusine Parry
Great book, great popular science.
Lynley
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I like this guy's TV documentaries too.
Eben Tonder
May 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
want to know about all the really cool new stuff we know about the human mind - read this!!!!!
Maurice
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Robert Winston book.
I love how he captured these intersting science items with humor and with ;-)
Catalin Vargatu
  • Taken on Trust: An Autobiography
  • Pardon My French: Unleash Your Inner Gaul
  • Why Life Speeds Up as You Get Older: How Memory Shapes Our Past
  • Intelligence Reframed: Multiple Intelligences for the 21st Century
  • Choosing Simplicity: Real People Finding Peace and Fulfillment in a Complex World
  • What on Earth Evolved?: 100 Species that Changed the World
  • The Man Whose Mother Was a Pirate
  • Through Our Eyes Only?: The Search for Animal Consciousness
  • The Lady Lies (Lady Spies, #1)
  • What Could He Be Thinking?: How a Man's Mind Really Works
  • Teach Yourself To Meditate
  • Oxford Collocations Dictionary for Students of English
  • An Introduction to Behavioural Ecology
  • Creation Revisited: The Origin of Space, Time and the Universe
  • Origins of the Modern Mind: Three Stages in the Evolution of Culture and Cognition
  • Wizards, Aliens, and Starships: Physics and Math in Fantasy and Science Fiction
The Right Honourable Professor The Lord Robert Maurice Lipson Winston
More about Robert Winston...