Start by marking “Alles nur geklaut: 10 Wege zum kreativen Durchbruch” as Want to Read:
Alles nur geklaut: 10 Wege zum kreativen Durchbruch

Alles nur geklaut: 10 Wege zum kreativen Durchbruch

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  103,843 Ratings  ·  3,352 Reviews
Cool, originell und am Puls der Zeit!

Austin Kleon wirft einen trendigen und sehr originellen Blick auf das Thema Kreativsein: Jeder braucht es, jeder kann es! Das Einzige, was man wissen muss: Gute Ideen von anderen wie ein Schwamm aufsaugen und alles neu mixen, zu der ganz eigenen, aufregend neuen Schöpfung. Also los! Sei schlau und klau! Worauf wartest du noch?
Published September 9th 2013 by Mosaik (first published September 7th 2010)

Peter Derk
These kind of books are like candy. They make me feel better in the moment, but ultimately don't do much towards building a full picture of happiness.

The inherent problem in any book that's a how-to for something artistic, whether it be writing or painting or making music or the artistry in tailoring a custom Voltron costume, the problem with the how-to book is that when you're reading the how-to book you're not doing the actual thing you're being taught to do. In other words, a book ABOUT writi
Natalie
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
description

This was such a phenomenal and much needed read for me. Steal Like an Artist gives ideas that apply to anyone who’s trying to inject some creativity into their life and their work. It really inspired me and I can’t wait for what’s next.

Also, can I just quote everything? Because I really need and want to:

“Always be reading. Go to the library. There’s magic in being surrounded by books. Get lost in the stacks. Read bibliographies. It’s not the book you start with, it’s the book that book leads yo
Wil Wheaton
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steal Like an Artist is essential and required reading for all artists, regardless of the type of art you create.

It's a quick read that you can finish in one sitting, but the ideas and advice it contains will stay with you long after you've put it down. Some of Austin's suggestions will validate what you're already doing, some will challenge you to fundamentally change a creative practice, others will inspire you to grab a notebook and get to work immediately.

Because it's such a small and access
Nancy
Posted at Shelf Inflicted

This eye-catching little book was wedged into the corner of one of the couches in the student lounge where I work. I was there for a cup of coffee, and since it was a rather slow day, I decided to pick up the book and read.

There’s a lot of common sense stuff in here for all types of creative people. You don’t have to be an artist or writer to benefit from these inspirational bits. They can help those who want to be more creative at work, or find room in one’s life for a
Ariel
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this after reading "Show Your Work!" which is the opposite order of publication, and while I definitely preferred the latter, this was also really great. Sometimes it just has to be one idea, one quote, one line, that can make a book for you. This book was solidly consistently good, but for me it was the push to start using a notebook that really made a change for me.**

So personally I liked the other one more, but I've heard a solid chunk of people that like this one more.. certain ideas
El
(This review is longer than the book itself.)

Here are the Top Ten Points that the author makes in this teeny book:

1. Steal like an artist
2. Don't wait until you know who you are to get started
3. Write the book you want to read
4. Use your hands
5. Side projects and hobbies are important
6. Do good work and share it with people
7. Geography is no longer our master
8. Be nice (the world is a small town)
9. Be boring (it's the only way to get work done)
10. Creativity is subtraction

It's all very good advi
Elyse
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Austin Kleon's "Steal Like An Artist" is a fun little book. Given that I'm not an artist -
I wasn't seeking 'words- of -wisdom'. This book just landed in my hands - and I couldn't resist reading it.

Austin says "every artist gets asked the question, "where do you get your ideas?"
Austin says....'The honest artist answers', "I steal them"......
............as in RIPS THEM OFF? Perhaps a more 'kind' way to answer the question --- is an artist draws inspiration from others. But what do I know. I'm no
Kathryn Patterson
I find it difficult to review "Steal Like an Artist" because the book is an amalgamation of advice, anecdotes, and uncommon sense. Austin Kleon writes in an easy-to-follow style, instructing readers about how to be creative without talking down to anyone. In fact while I read the book, I felt like I was part of some secret creators club, with this book as the secret club manual.

The book focuses on 10 rules for people to follow in order to be creative. Rule number one is "Steal like an artist."
Carmen Sisson
I'm undecided on this book. While I appreciate the premise — draw inspiration from people you admire and surround yourself with good role models — I'm uneasy with the "steal" concept.

The title grabs attention, but I think it overshadows the actual point, which is not to become a replica of someone else but to create more authentic work by creating work you love.

It's a bit overly simplistic, and definitely a short, fast read. For those who stand on the precipice, afraid to answer the call of crea
Carlos De Eguiluz
Bien dijo George Orwell en "1984": "Los mejores libros son los que nos dicen lo que ya sabemos".

Fue bastante agradable comprender que no estoy solo en esto de la escritura, que todos tenemos problemas, y que al final, lo que importa es hacer las cosas bien, aunque a veces no haya inspiración o lo que más amas se torne aburrido y tedioso.

Austin nos regala una serie de consejos que nos permiten desarrollar nuestro proceso y no morir en el intento.

¿Quien dijo que robar era malo? (Léan el libro para
Hanne
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, business

Reading this book might be the fastest thing my bosses ever asked me to do.

This is a wonderful little book with advice on creativity that makes you think. I'm pretty sure i didn't grasp the whole thing right now. I think i'll take a few things out of it. And in a few months I might read it again (really only takes like 30 minutes) and take a few more things out of it.
It's nicely written, it's got some nice napkin-sketches in there so it stays a light read. And it also makes me very curious about
Erin Bowman
About a year ago, I was at the day job (web design), when a link to a blog post made it’s way around the office via AIM.

The post was basically one man’s manifesto when it came to creativity. He listed out ten things he wished he knew when he was starting out as a writer and artist. I remember the simplicity of his statements — practical, to the point — but also incredibly insightful. Small things we often forget when we are knee-deep in The Creating or overwhelmed by The Doubts.

I remember noddin
anaïs
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In an age where even in art there seems to be a focus on the final product or end result, Kleon's manifesto on creativity is refreshing. At a slim 100-something pages, it is a fast engaging read, filled with doodles and quotes and functioning the way zines your internet friend would send you. I say this because it is the equivalent of a whole body approach to creativity as opposed to the spot treatment of fixing one specific area of your art, whatever your medium may be; to put it simply, it's s ...more
Greg
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh fooey. Wrote something, then accidentally clicked and lost it. Let's get this over with:

-Loved it. Was awesome. Will reread, often.
-Too much quoting. Isn't the whole point, reappropriate, don't rip off? Excessive quoting seems to go against that.
-Figures=awesome and funny. Add anything? Sadly, I don't think so.
-Good direct voice.
-Moves well, but chunks are so small that they feel slight. It is a manifesto that outlines main points, rather than a substantive work that discusses things.

Still, a
Gail Klanchesser
This book is amazing! It's not condoning plagiarism, it suggests sharing of ideas and the process behind the product created by other artists. While you can easily sit and read it completely, I think it is best to read in small sections and think about what you've read and how it applies to your own form of art.
Martyn
Jan 09, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2013, room101
The sub-title of this book is '10 things nobody told you about being creative'. Yeah, probably because they thought you already knew them.

This book is packed to the brim with platitudes such as: try to do good work, there are lots of different things to consider when choosing a place to live, it's important to be careful who you marry, money is really important, try to find a day job that you like and, my favorite, take $10 to the stationers and buy some stuff - then you can write your ideas dow
Darren
Aug 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't often go the 1-star route. But this is such a blatant attempt at brand-building that I could feel the "speaker's fees" right there between every page. Read Anne Lamott's "Bird by Bird" instead for a true creative boost.
Roya
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quite-good
I usually don't go for self-help, but this seemed like it would be different. No disappointments here! This is a great book for you creative folk out there. Personally I think everyone can benefit from what this book has to offer.

A Nelson
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book could have been a pamphlet. But, despite its brief insights--it is thought provoking.

• Nothing is original
• Learn the history of your craft: one artist at a time. This is your creative lineage.
• School yourself--be curious
"School is one thing. Education is another. The two don't always overlap."
• Keep a "swipe" file. Things you like for later inspiration.
• Get started--perfect your craft along the way.
• "The human hand is incapable of making a perfect copy." Your "copy" will never be
Jenn
Nov 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a quick, funny how-to book that offers artists (the kind who paint, writers, filmmakers, etc.) tips on "stealing" other artists' art. Author Austin Kleon points out that no artist's work is ever completely original, and that trying to be completely original will daunt an artist and eventually smother her/his creativity. He suggests artists embrace the inevitability of influence, celebrate living outside of a vacuum, relax, and have fun with their art. Beyond that, he offers tips on how t ...more
Carmel Elizabeth
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." -Howard Aiken

Two hours and a few thickly inked pages later, I feel inspired enough to write a five-pound work of fiction and maybe paint a masterpiece on my bedroom walls as well.
Joy C.
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Aw, what a delightful, creative, inspirational read! :D Filled me with writerly cheer and the desire to create stuff! (yay, that's also my 50th book of the year!)
Ali
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic read. I don't have anything else to add to that. Read it, get inspired and create something'new'.
Abduraafi Andrian
Ulasan ala-ala listicle yang panjang nan membosankan: http://bibliough.blogspot.co.id/2016/...

Bisa tidak sih rasa sesal itu dimunculkan ketika suatu hal belum terjadi? Misalnya kau tahu kau akan menyesal ketika memesan satu makanan karena makanan tersebut tidak enak atau terlalu asin. Atau misalnya kau tahu kau akan menyesal ketika tidak membeli sebuah buku dan malah meminjamnya dari seseorang. Yah, seperti itulah saat kututup halaman terakhir buku ini: me · nye · sal. Padahal ada kesempatan unt
Sarah (Starry Night Reader)
There was nothing that inspiring or enlightening about this book, but hopefully it will give me the kick in the ass I need to finish up/ begin projects.
Jenny Maloney
This one is short-and-sweet but filled to the brim with good advice. Definitely worth keeping on your bedside table or work desk if you're an artist of any kind (writer, musician, dancer, etc).

Probably the piece that stuck out the most for me was Kleon's discussion of constraints. I've known that putting constraints on, say, a piece of writing - putting a box around what I was trying to create - actually made the piece better and, strangely enough, made me feel more free. It was refreshing to h
Hissa Reads
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so good, this book is a must read for every artist, for anyone who wants some inspiration and for every one who just wants a good book to read.
Steal like an artist makes you want to pause everything and be creative. It makes you want to sit alone and produce something beautiful. Ugh. I loved it. It's literally like eating a scoop of ice cream in a hot day.
Sulis Peri Hutan
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: koleksiku, buntelan
suka banget, kelar sekali berbaring :))

"Apa orisinalitas itu? Plagiarisme tak terdeteksi."
Maha
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Amazing highly recommended
Schuyler
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I picked up Steal Like An Artist, I was in an artistic murk of anonymity, enjoying my art itself, but detesting a lot of the side demands that art creates. I emerged with faith revitalized (or at least, faith in Austin's book, which is a step in the right direction.) I just laid on the couch and ate up all the inspiration in its pages, and laughed, and read bits to my mom, and finished it in an excited glow of inspiration and creativity. It was a breath of fresh air.

Before we go further, I
Highly engaging non-fiction 4 69 Oct 10, 2017 01:01AM
Modern Entreprene...: School is One Thing 1 16 Mar 10, 2016 03:19PM
Modern Entreprene...: Google It 1 12 Mar 10, 2016 03:18PM
Modern Entreprene...: What We Love Shapes Us 1 5 Mar 10, 2016 03:17PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon 1 13 Mar 29, 2015 02:06PM
  • Damn Good Advice (For People with Talent!): How To Unleash Your Creative Potential by America's Master Communicator, George Lois
  • 100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design
  • The Accidental Creative: How to Be Brilliant at a Moment's Notice
  • Design Is a Job
  • The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life
  • Ignore Everybody: and 39 Other Keys to Creativity
  • 344 Questions: The Creative Person's Do-It-Yourself Guide to Insight, Survival, and Artistic Fulfillment (Voices That Matter)
  • Manage Your Day-to-Day: Build Your Routine, Find Your Focus, and Sharpen Your Creative Mind
  • Drawing from Memory
  • A Technique for Producing Ideas
  • How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer
  • Drawn In: A Peek into the Inspiring Sketchbooks of 44 Fine Artists, Illustrators, Graphic Designers, and Cartoonists
  • What It Is
  • The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?
  • Trust the Process
  • The Chronicles of Harris Burdick: 14 Amazing Authors Tell the Tales
  • Picture This: How Pictures Work
  • Everyday Matters
I make art with words and books with pictures. Author of Steal Like An Artist, Newspaper Blackout, and Show Your Work!
More about Austin Kleon...
“If you ever find that you're the most talented person in the room, you need to find another room.” 244 likes
“Draw the art you want to see, start the business you want to run, play the music you want to hear, write the books you want to read, build the products you want to use – do the work you want to see done.” 228 likes