Start by marking “Pure Healing (Pure/ Dark Ones #1)” as Want to Read:
Pure Healing (Pure/ Dark Ones #1)

Pure Healing

(Pure/Dark Ones #1)

In the world of Pure Ones, where sexual intercourse with anyone other than one’s Eternal Mate leads to a slow, painful death within thirty days, love comes with the warning label “fall at your own peril”…

Rain: the Healer

From the first time she beheld him, she yearned to sooth his pain and torment and nurtured a secret, selfish desire – to have him for her very own…

Va
Published May 4th 2012 by Amazon Kindle

Start your review of Pure Healing (Pure/ Dark Ones #1)
Princess under cover
Now that I know the baddie's POV... I'm reading everything with a fresh pair of eyes...and OMG! The clues! The wherefores! It's mind-boggling!!

There's only so long I can hold off finishing this book, because my head is already deep into Book 2!!! And because this book tees up so many different threads, my head has also dived in books 6.5 and 7 - SETH!! I'm coming for you!!

People, GET OUT THERE AND GET THIS SERIES - I promise you won't regret it. It's just sooooo addictive - and you know what -
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
Now that I figured out how to link my kindle notes, I can track everything that goes on in this book so much better! And boy! A LOT FREAKIN GOES ON@!! I love it!! Makes me want to dive right into the next book! This series just pulls u in and doesn’t let go!

description

It was slower for me this time around, prob because I'm so used to the accelerated pace of the books starting from 30% of the way through book 2. This series flies! And because this one is also longer, to lay all the world-building foundation
Penny
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

I can see the appeal for this story. I can see why so many people loved this book. But I didn't feel it.

This book has many different characters perspectives being told. We have the two main characters from whom we get the romance (Rain and Valerius), we have another main-ish character that seems to be an important one (Sophia), and then we have many others. Sometimes, I can find this technique interesting and productive, like I do with the Black Dagger Brotherhood books.
Coco.V
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: freebie
Outrageously entertaining: epic, explosive, complex and addictive!

Pure Healing was a fascinating story that left me satisfied. Aja James is a formidable storyteller and I can definitely say that I’m a big fan of this author, now.

Despite this being an action and plot-based story, the emotional and romantic elements are not given short-shrift at all. Seeing the deeper emotional connections between Rain and Valerius blossoming is sweet and endearing. The characters are well drawn, and complex. AJ
Deborah Obida
Apr 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommended to Deborah by: Princess under cover
The reason why I gave this book 3 stars even though I loved is because this series is too much like The blackdagger series by JR Ward, so there goes originality. Apart from that I loved this book.

The writing is awesome, it's written in multiple perspective of the main characters, even though this is the first book in the series and the author was introducing the readers to the world it was awesome. She did a great job for just 300+ pages.

Apart from the love story of Rain and Valerius lots of ot
Monique
4 'my gladiator' stars

Ok, it is official now. This is how my Valerius looks like (but taller and with green eyes, as PUC says 😄)

Now, after I've been staring at this gorgeous picture for quite a while, I'm supposed to write a review. LOL Ok, let's do this. But don't expect anything too coherent. My brain is somewhere in the fantasy dreamland.

Anyway, I started reading this series with book 2 and continued with book 3, so this one is my third visit to this world. Pure Healing has the lowest rating
Gavin
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
My feelings for this PNR are a little all over the place. I really liked some of the stuff we got but the flaws held me back from truly being able to get lost in the story.

The basic premise of the story leaned heavily on a PNR trope I hate. Pure Ones, basically just vampires with a superpower added into the mix who protect humanity from evil vampires, are only able to have sex with their Eternal Mate. If they break that rule it is death within 30 days! I do hate the old magic bonding trope with
MG
I'm a big fan of Christine Feehan's Dark Series, and this reminds me a lot of that. I always find it interesting to discover different authors' takes on similar folklore concepts, especially in the supernatural realm with respect to Vampires/Immortals. I liked the concept of this book and where Ms. James took it, especially with the depth she was able to achieve in terms of the MCs and their back stories. I like the complexity she achieved without getting long-winded or "over-explaining" things ...more
Silvia Drascall
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav, prn, re-reading
F*cking F*cking LOVE IT... thx so much for sharing your Amazing Universe with us, Mrs. Aja James. One of the best story I've ever read. EVER. You blew my mind with your fascinating, creative and f*cking well written plot... There is nothing boring or monotonus throughout the story...NOTHING...
You know, I'm can't help myself... I just fell in love for your characters... ALL OF THEM - pure ones, dark ones, vampires... blah, blah... Perfect play!!!
Now, my only problem is that I'm addicted and can
Jen
*** 3.5 Stars!!!***

This is going to be be an interesting series! I did find this first book to be a lot of information to be taken in at times... plus there are many POV’s which was distracting at times; but once I got the characters figured out, I enjoyed it more.
I have got to get some sleep, but will try to do a review when I can keep my eyes open! Lol!
Azet
I feel like i am scarred for life right now and i am never gonna be the same!This book opened up a whole another world to me than i am used to in this genre,and with Aja James compelling way of writing it made for an amazing keeper that i will never forget.I love vampires-and their dark natures but in this book we get presented to another supernatural creatures called Pure Ones who were given another chance at life by a Goddess and have pure souls and gifts to help them defend the balance of the ...more
Mamacita Slacum

5 Eternal Healing Stars

This. BOOK...

The world building...

The characters (and there are alot of them) ...

Would I Recommend this book...

What did you first think about this author when starting this book?

Did I Absolutely Love the start of this new series??

*Trigger Warning ~ Dark content contains flashback scenes detailing rape & abuse

Favorite Quotes...

Oh she knew she was playing with fire, but how delicious was the burn.

“And when a Pure-male falls in love, hell, when any male falls in love
Indelicate Reviews by DD
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-2019, 5-star
Sweet mercy I should have read this first upon my return to goodreads! New author for me and I am a complete fan girl!

Valerius, I do not believe I have read a hero like him before. I am awestruck as to how much I enjoyed him with his traumatic past (which I usually do not enjoy). Mostly an author has difficulty with a traumatized hero, they typically come off as the one that needs taking care of verses being the one the heroine can rely on, not the case with Valerius. He is a magnificent hero w
Bunnycore
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can see why this was compared to JR Ward's BDB, I love me some Brotherhood. This had the same feel for it. I am more trying to get through all of my Freebies but I been seeing this on my feed a lot lately so I thought I would give it a try and I am so glad that I did.

Here is a little hint I love the insta-mate thing but I am such a hopeless romantic it is not even funny. I love the Vampire but not vampire thing I love the angst against love when people start to figure out that they are meant
Luupi "The Reading Queen"
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Luupi by: Princess under cover
TW: Rape and slavery

I don't really know how to start this review so...

First of all, let's talk about the sex scenes… They weren't fun or sexy which was a huge letdown since there are a lot of them in this first book and I've read a couple of reviews were the smut was described as great. I think the main issue I had with it was that it was referred as "Nourishment" , and every time it was mentioned that way I could only think about a mother with her child which had nothing to do with what was
Alaina
Holy smut gods!

Pure Healing was so freaking good. I'm happy I finally dove into this book because I'm pretty sure I was supposed to read it months ago - sorry buddy! Anyways.. this was such a great start that I can't wait to dive into the second book of this series!

I loved everything and anything about Rain and Valerius. Even thought I first though Rain was a stupid name that maybe a celebrity would name their child (or something). Eventually I fell in love with their instantaneous love because
AlwaysV
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If the blurb didn't perk up your interest so high that you just had to pick up this book, here's hoping my review might help too. This book was one of the best opening books of any series! The world of the Pure/Dark Ones was intriguing, fresh, compelling, and yes, sensual. The Glossary of Terms might seem daunting. I even wondered if the world would be too complex to enter, to enjoy. That wasn't the case at all. I did need to check out who the Pure Ones and the Dark Ones were, then it was a capt ...more
Cécile Smits

The second time i read Pure Healing,i took my time. Time to take a closer look at Val and Rain’s story,the story that nestled deep into my soul and will stay there forever....And time to take a closer look at those surrounding them. Knowing what i know after reading the series so far....I see so much more,i see the layers Aja has woven into this series from the start and i wonder what i’m going to find in the others!

WTF did i just read? I need to find my breath....
This was an introduction to a
Debra Johnson
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of Adult Fantasy & Paranormal Romance, Lovers of Adult Mystery & Suspense.
Recommended to Debra by: Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
Pure Healing by Aja James
Genres; Adult, Fantasy, Mystery, Paranormal, Romance, Suspense.
4.5 Stars

This is a very complex story. A mixture of the old ideas of vampires and goddesses with an original concept of the 'Pure Ones'. The pure ones themselves are layered with mystery. How they came to be and come to be. That may sound confusing, but it is an accurate statement. There is so many different elements and layers to them. What I think is the most fundamental truth of what a pure one is, is thei
Candace
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rain and Valerius

Rain is the Healer of the Pure Ones race. The Healer takes a Consort "every ten years to draw strength from his blood and body to heal severe wounds." Valerius is the Protector. He hunts and kills rogue vampires who harm humans. One day Valerius decides to apply to be Rain's Consort. Rain knows Valerius doesn't like to be touched. How can they become a mated couple for thirty days with this lack of intimacy between them?

I found this novel to be intriguing. I have read Christine
Jamie (TheRebelliousReader)
3 stars. Very interesting start to a promising series. Everyone knows that when it comes to vampires Ward’s BDB series is the end all be all for me but I definitely see the potential in this series. It’s so different and unique and feels like a a great mixture of classic vampires and modern vampires. The writing was really good and the characters were complex and interesting.

I feel like the second novel and forward is where the series really takes off because this is definitely a set up/world bu
Stefanie Bailey
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked the writing it was amazing. It is a good start to the series... I will def be continuing... Love that it's on KU - I really loved the MCs as well as all the other characters. Can't wait to meet more of them!
Janine
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I am so happy that I came across the series at goodreads - by far my absolute favorite book starting off a series. I am so thrilled to get to read the rest of it.
6 out of 5 stars <3
Can absolutely recommend this book to anyone who is slightly interested in Paranormal Romance.
I recently binged the black dagger series and thought I could not get so deeply interested in a new franchise again so soon - I was wrong :)
Paola
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Sexy paranormal romance, ideal for fans of this genre, this was about a tormented hero and a brave heroin, they both needed each other to heal, but their love is forbidden...
She's a healer and she can't be with the same male for a long period of time, he's a warrior with a terrible past.
Do yourself a favor and read this book!!!
Alice
I've seen a lot about this series here on GR and finally dipped my toe in. I could see several, to me, influences such as Dark Hunter and BDB with a unique spin. Looking forward to more in this world.

I very much liked Valerius and his vulnerability, but didn't quite connect the same way with Rain (although her hair was awesome). I felt that there could've been more depth to them as individuals and as a couple - flashbacks just weren't enough.

As for Ere (view spoiler)
Meggie
Fuck it. 5 stars!

**Read for 2019 CYTBR challenge**

It honestly shocks me that this series isn't more widely read. Granted, the people that like it REALLY LOVE IT, but still; considering the popularity of PNR, I still can't believe it doesn't have more ratings. Especially since it's on KU. But anyway, I digress- the point is that I am not big into PNR/fantasy, yet this is an amazing first installment in a series that I will definitely continue. In the end, I decided to rate this one not unlike how
Lover of Romance
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance

Pure Healing is a book that was recommended to me by "Becca" on Goodreads. As both paranormal romance lovers, I was looking for something new that I hadn't read before or heard of. And yes I hadn't heard of Aja James actually, so I grabbed up Pure Healing and dived right into this story. Unfortunately this book I struggled within the first half especially. Now don't get me wrong I still enjoyed it but there were some plot aspects that reall
Stacie
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
3 3/4 "Interesting and Unique" Stars!

This was good. A little complicated but super intriguing. I rooted hard for Val and Rain and the overall story arch was captivating. I'm in for book 2. Happy reading!
Ainy
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OUTSTANDING storytelling from Aja James!
I love the diversity among the Pure Ones, I especially loved Rain, in no way was she helpless, and VALERIUS, sweet Valerius you deserve all the love.
Sophia and Dalair were charming as well, their relationship reminded me a bit of Usagi and Mamoru from Sailor Moon.
And also Cloud and Aella, mmm I'm excited to read about them in the future.

This book exceeded my expectations!

(Even though I glance through sex scenes, the romance was very genuine)
Jen
I actually love the world building in this book. It's different and there is a lot of interesting going on. In this first book however, there are parts I don't like. I specifically don't like how weak the male lead played out and how indecisive and immature the female lead came across. When dealing with characters that are thousands of years old, one expects a certain level of maturity that wasn't reached in this book. I won't even mention the Pure One's queen who has barely passed her teenage y ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Marek (Guardians of Hades, #4)
  • Arctic Bite (Forgotten Brotherhood, #2)
  • The Devil's Fool (Devil, #1)
  • Tree of Souls (Transfusion Saga, #6)
  • Three Deadly Trials (Battle for The Dark King, #1)
  • Battle for the Shadow King (Captive of Shadows #4)
  • When He’s Dark  (The Olympus Pride, #1)
  • A Savage Debt (Beholden Duet, #1)
  • The Pet Project: Unnatural Selection (Pet Project, #2)
  • Craved by an Alpha (Eternal Mates, #5)
  • Kingdoms Of Hell (Transfusion Saga, #7)
  • The Devil's Angel (Devil, #2)
  • Flame (Dark Kings #17)
  • Crowning Destiny (The Fae Chronicles #7)
  • Transfusion (Transfusion Saga #1)
  • The Devil's Soldier (Devil, #3)
  • Hope's First Christmas (Brie's Submission, #19)
  • Healing of the Wolf (The Wild Hunt Legacy, #5)
Hello readers!

If you like JR Ward, Christine Feehan, Shannon Butcher, Anne Rice, Bram Stoker, as well as epic fantasy authors (George RR Martin comes to mind :)... check out my new series the Pure/ Dark Ones:

Book 1 Pure Healing:

Free excerpt! https://dl.bookfunnel.com/8hym4xhvjd

Book 2 Dark Longing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07...

Free excerpt! https://dl

Pure/Dark Ones (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Dark Longing (Pure/ Dark Ones #2)
  • Dark Desires (Pure/ Dark Ones #3)
  • Dark Pleasures (Pure/ Dark Ones #4)
  • Pure Rapture (Pure/ Dark Ones #5)
  • Dark Redemption (Pure/ Dark Ones #6)
  • Pure Ecstasy (Pure/ Dark Ones #7)
  • Dark Obsession (Pure/Dark Ones #8)
  • Pure Providence (Pure/ Dark Ones #8.5)
  • Pure Magnetism (Pure/ Dark Ones #9)
  • Pure Surrender (Pure/ Dark Ones #10)

News & Interviews

“Not for his people, not for the world he protected, but for himself. He wanted to matter. To her.” 14 likes
“If you want blood, come and get it. If you're here to fuck me, just name your place and position. Otherwise, get out.” 14 likes