Start by marking “Calico” as Want to Read:
Calico

Calico

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
A prophecy has been cast against her. In a harsh world deep within the western frontier of Ohio and Kentucky, Calico Marie Turner must learn to survive among the Shawnee and to trust the one man who hates her the most, Chief Little Owl Quick as the Wind.
Calico’s story will immerse you deeply into the world of the Shawnee, where you will find characters at once surreal and
Kindle Edition, 2nd Edition, 278 pages
Published May 1st 2012 by Little Acorns Publishing LTD

To ask other readers questions about Calico, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calico

Rich Meyer
Aug 18, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
If you only read one book this year, for Raptor Jesus' sake I hope it ain't this one. Unless of course you love reading incomprehensible tales of French ninjas, misremembered historical events, incest among the French, casual rape and abuse among the Shawnee, and trying to decipher dialogue formed from three languages melded into one throughout most of the book. There's also a paranormal aspect acting as a deus ex machina to solve all the characters' baser motivations at the end so everyone can ...more
Valeria
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Nobody
I downloaded this book to my Kindle because (1) it was free at the time and (2) the story line sounded interesting. I also got the impression that it would be a good book for children to read. When I downloaded it, I followed the link to post this on Facebook and share with others -- who also were able to download it free.

It is the story of a young girl (named Calico) of European heritage who chooses to live and grow up with the Shawnees after her parents have died. She does have a twin sister
Heather
Jun 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Impossible plot and unintelligible conversation, I hated this book.
Cassandra (The book & movie dimension blogger)
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Aduts, Adults, Mature Adolescents
Full, non-spoiler review courtesy at Book & Movie Dimension a Blog

An engrossing read from the start is in order. For a reader, that on most times have no real contact with Indian tribe values this book is a great start in reading with paranormal touches. This story isn't about Indians particularly the Shawnee's. No, its a fictional story touching up on historical events. As early American colonists head to expanding in the New World of America, they of course, encounter Indians. Of all of th
Cate
I was intrigued by the premise of this book, and was looking forward to reading a gripping account of a white woman surviving and navigating life with the Native American Indian Shawnee; and I tried, I mean really tried to like this book as much as I’d hoped I would, but it just didn’t hit the spot for me. Also if you do not want to read about rape and molestation, you definitely want to give this book a wide berth.

There is very little development of any of the characters we find packed in this
Lisa Markson
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book. I typically don't read this genre type but I was amazed how I got into it. I wasn't sure I was going to like it initially because it started out with a lot of broken English and Shawnee language because duh it was involving the Shawnee's and the British. I can't wait for the second book Rose to come out. Allison did a great job keeping me interested. It was a wonderful read even without the demons, witches, werewolves and vampires that I normally read. Calico and Litt ...more
Courtney Daisey
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a truly excellent read! The tale of Calico and Little Owl began slowly but rapidly took off. In this book you will find romance, lies, love, magic, and deceit and all are intricately entwined.

Once past the first couple of chapters I was hooked and didn't want to put the book down. It reads quickly, much like a TV series. I could easily see this book becoming an HBO series in the future. I am looking forward to the second one already!
Aya Walksfar
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a satisfying, complex read that weaves early American history and fiction into a seamless whole. Ms. Bruning uses the unique perspective of Caucasians who have been adopted by the Shawnee to explore the culture and the customs of this Native American tribe.
For anyone who enjoys a dash of history with their fiction, this is a must-read.
Dare
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and was surprised at the depth of the characters and the complexity of the plot. The mixture of history and spirituality made for several unexpected developments in the story the kept me guessing. A good story and worth your time to read.
Chrissy Dyer
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book! Historical romance book between A White woman and a Shawnee Warrior and their struggles with each others cultures. But love always prevails!
Annette M Guerriero Nishimoto
Today's review is on Calico by Allison Bruning

Calico is a delightful story of a young French noble who was born on the land of the Shawnee Indians; along with her twin sister. Choosing to stay among the Shawnee, Calico struggles to become a woman worthy of a Shawnee man. She can not sew well or do bead work very well. She is however good at getting on the nerves of Little Owl Quick As The Wind.

Little Owl and Calico; who's name is changed to Snow Vision Seeker Buffalo Woman, have been at odds wit
Kim (Wistfulskimmies Book Reviews)
This is the story of a young girl named Calico. She is destined to be nobility with her twin sister. Sadly her parents have died and her sister has been sent away while she is brought up Shawnee. (A Native American tribe). She grows up to be a beautiful and powerful healer woman. Sadly she is abused and brutalised by a shaman she looks on as a father. The spirits have prophesied that she will marry a war chief who hates everything she is and stands for and he will be the one to end her suffering ...more
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
This book was very accurate in the portrayal of The Shawnee Indians. I really enjoyed reading it because my uncle by marriage is 100% Cherokee Indian and I love to here his stories about the tribe.

Calico is having a hard time adjusting to her adoptive parents. She has been born an Indian and all she wants to do is live in the beauty of nature and hunt like her people do and live like her people did. She wants to be free but she is stuck in a life style that she is not familiar with. She is expec
Vanessa Booke
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Calico is a wonderfully written historical romance filled with colorful characters and an amazing story. I really enjoyed reading this book because of its rich detail. Bruning does a wonderful job recreating the world of the Shawnee nation, not only is she extremely thorough, but she is extremely knowledgeable on her information of Native Americans. My only complaint is the beginning dragged a little bit. I loved Calico's wild spirit and the struggle with her living adjustments is what really op ...more
Alejandro Canton-Dutari
Calico by Allison Brunning
Reviewed by Alex Canton-Dutari
The story is set in the early colonial days, which makes it wide open for historical fiction. And the history of Calico and her adjustment to her life in the New World is presented with a varied set of characters that make the journey through the pages easy to follow. Well, if you read French, as the book is full of phrases in such language. This did not bother me, though I wonder about other readers.
A love story stemming out of apparent ha
Ruby Moon
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished reading ‘Calico--Children of the Shawnee: Book One’ by Allison Bruning. After having read the book a second time, I find myself perusing the story, amazed at how each of the characters' lives is strangely entwined with the others, and how they evolve and blend into the flow of the main plot. True history is included, tightly woven with threads of fantasy...right down to the Gotcha! Suspenseful ending. Truly an entertaining and informative read that stays with me. I’ll definitely check o ...more
Donna
Jun 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love to read about North American Indians, but this one was too confusing to me. There are so many characters, and just when you think you know who is who, their names change. There is a lot of French,and Indian word or phrases scattered through out the story, which I normally like, but I don't think this added to the story. Then there is the strangeness of the super-natural, and I won't say more.
Beth Wright
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love historical romance with native americans in it :D, but this one blew me away. :D It was exciting in more ways than one. So many twist and turns and one big turn of events that will totally blow you away, so did not see that one coming lmao. Paranormal stuff in this read??? Oh yeah, shamans, demons and angels :D I love this book :D This is a must read :D

♥♥♥♥♥
Alison Pinsley
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alison by: Allison Bruning
Allison Bruning captures the true essence of the Shawnee in her book Calico. Calico (Marie Turner) is raised by the Shawnee. She becomes a great medicine woman, and in the path of that trial, is a man who loves her more than anything, Chief Little Bear. Can she trust him to save her from the one man who is Chief Little Bear's best friend and confident.
Terie Christmas
Jun 13, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was a little hard to get into. The characters were hard to keep up with but I plowed through and half way through I was enjoying the story.
If you like Native American culture you will probably like this book.
Therese
May 25, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
$0.0
Deliasue
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the Children of the Shawnee series.
It takes place in Ky. a great indian book.
I want to read book 2 The Childlren of the Shawnee, Rose's Story.
Amy
rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2015
Courtney Crane
rated it did not like it
Jul 11, 2013
Feb 26, 2015
Brandy Leal
Dec 23, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Merge Books 3 19 Jul 01, 2015 11:39AM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Cyber Bully 2 196 Jul 24, 2013 12:05PM
Mountain Springs ...: Calico (Children of the Shawnee series: Book 1) 1 5 May 20, 2013 10:06AM
Bestselling author Allison Bruning originally hails from Marion, Ohio but full time RV’s with her husband and their Australian cattle dog, Lakota Sioux. Allison is the bestselling author of several novels, short stories, children’s books and a poetry book.
Allison's educational background includes a B.A. in theatre arts with a minor in anthropology from Sul Ross State University in Alpine, Texas. A
More about Allison Bruning...