Start by marking “Across the Wall: Tales of the Old Kingdom and Elsewhere (Abhorsen #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Across the Wall: Tales of the Old Kingdom and Elsewhere (Abhorsen #3.5)

Across the Wall: Tales of the Old Kingdom and Elsewhere

(Abhorsen #3.5: the Creature in the Case)

Nicholas Sayre will do anything to get across the Wall.

Thoughts of Lirael and Sam haunt his dreams, and he has come to realize that his destiny lies with them, in the Old Kingdom. But here in Ancelstierre, Nick faces an obstacle that is not entirely human, with a strange power that seems to come from Nicholas himself.

With Nicholas Sayre and the Creature in the Case Garth N
Published July 1st 2005 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Across the Wall, please sign up.
Alexa Clairel is a prequel to the entire Abhors set, Nicholas Sayre is what apparently leads up to Goldenhand, the continuation to Lirael's story which come…moreClairel is a prequel to the entire Abhors set, Nicholas Sayre is what apparently leads up to Goldenhand, the continuation to Lirael's story which comes out in October. Also this is the same story as The Creature in the Case(less)

Start your review of Across the Wall: Tales of the Old Kingdom and Elsewhere (Abhorsen #3.5)
Emily
The stories in this collection simply aren't very good. I think I've discovered that I'm not a huge fan of Garth Nix as a writer, but more of the Abhorsen trilogy and its world. I recently read Clariel, and was similarly disappointed - perhaps it's because I was younger when I devoured the trilogy, but the characters in Clariel were written superficially and without any real sense of motivation or purpose. (view spoiler) ...more
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
This is a review of just the novella in this collection, 'Nicholas Sayre and the Creature in the Case'. It is not a review of the complete book.

It’s six months after the combined magic of the Charter defeated the Destoryer, and Nick is back in Ancelstierre, reluctantly attending a house party on behalf of his uncle, the Chief Minister. But what lurks behind the frivolous façade is Department 13, a legal entity for exploring the oddities in the Old Kingdom. There, Nick comes across a terrifying O
I'mogén
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here is my video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4fQM...

On first receiving this book, I hadn't expected it to be a collection of short, random stories written by Garth Nix but had expected it to be competly about The Old Kingdom, with a book title like ''Across THe Wall'', however when I did I was super excited to see it contained Nicholas Sayre and The Creature in the Case as, after just re-reading Abhorsen, I discovered that short stories existence and was eager to read it, although I
Emily
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was initially hesitant to jump into this collection of short stories as the first is set in Nix's Old Kingdom. It's been quite some time since I read "Sabriel," "Lirael," and "Abhorsen" and I was nervous that I would not remember enough of the details of those stories to enjoy "Nicholas Sayre and the Creature in the Case" without spending most of the time while reading it trying to remember what/who was being referenced. If that started happening, I would be forced to re-read the entire 1,744 ...more
Renata
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, fiction
ok first of all why do Garth Nix's books all have THE WORST COVERS, like is his publisher MAD AT HIM or what

anyway I mostly picked this up for the first story, a novella about Nicholas Sayre from Lirael, which I loved. the other stories were good? It's kind of a mixed bag of stuff that has been published elsewhere; nothing else in here is related to the Old Kingdom series. A fun but inessential read.
Rose Copeland
I'll be honest. While I like Garth Nix's writing in general, I really just wanted a follow-up to the events of Abhorsen.

While there is no full closure to the events that ended the trilogy, I was happy to see more of Nick in the short "Nicholas Sayre and the Creature in the Case." Nick is beginning to come into his own as he deals with his contact with Orannis, which leads him back to the Wall and ultimately back to Lirael, which I hope means that he and Lirael make good on that romantic tension
August
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short story collections are always hit and miss for me, because of how much variety is in them. In Nix's case, that works well in his favor - I loved his novels, and I liked seeing the scraps of the other worlds he might have made. I wasn't thrilled with the titular novella, but the most of the other stories were very effective (especially Three Roses). An enjoyable collection. (Thanks, Anna!)
Annemarie
Disclaimer: This is a collection of short stories and I have a history of not enjoying short stories all that much. Often, I am too frustrated by an extremely lopsided ratio of questions raised to questions answered to appreciate any craft in the writing.

However, I was pleasantly surprised by how many of the stories here I did like. I picked up Across the Wall because I was missing the Old Kingdom, and while only the first story in the collection relates to that, I found it satisfying. Nicholas
Stephen  Alff (AlffBooks)
Very quick to read and really fun. I loved the little sort of introduction before each story to tell you a little something more about the story and how it came about,some nice insight into how a writer's life sometimes runs.
The stories are great fun and not connected making it easier(not easy, just very slightly less impossible) to put down the book between stories!
Another book by Garth Nix that did all but disappoint me! Brilliant!
Joey Woolfardis
[Short review from memory until I re-read it at a later date (2016? If I have time):

Little is remember of this! I re-read the Abhorsen trilogy this year and really wasn't in to it much, but Garth Nix is not a terrible writer: I think it was mostly that I had outgrown the story a little. Surprisingly high rating considering my dislike of short stories?]
Ashley
A fun collection of short stories. Some were more enjoyable than others, but that's par for the course. The main attraction here was the Abhorsen novella, which features Nicholas Sayre, a house party, and a free magic monster on the loose. It was a good return to the Abhorsen world, but mostly it made me realize that I still want more closure with those characters.
Carolyn Klassen

I enjoyed a lot of the stories in this! Nicholas Sayre and the Creature in the Case was great and a few others like Charlie Rabbit, The Hill, and Down to the Scum Quarter, Hope Chest, and Three Roses were also memorable and enjoyable. A few I didn't connect with or didn't care for.
Althea Ann
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A re-read - due to my somehow forgetting to mark down that I'd read the book, and finding another copy at the thrift store for $1. The stories are good enough that I didn't mind re-reading.

Nicholas Sayre and the Creature in the Case — This story features characters from the 'Abhorsen' series, but relates a stand-alone adventure. Nicholas gets involved with secret agents and has to save the aristocratic attendees of an annoying party from a vicious and magical creature from Across the Wall. Very
Miriam
Garth Nix is a wonderful writer. I haven't read his Abhorsen series so I skipped over the Abhorsen story in this collection, but I read all the others and thoroughly enjoyed them all. "Under the Lake" was weird but brilliant, and "Down to the Scum Quarter" was incredibly fun. The latter story is written in 100 paragraphs and the reader sort of makes his own story by being directed to certain paragraphs depending on what objects he has chosen to carry with him and/or what he wants his character d ...more
Regan
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, when I started this book I thought I was about to read an unexpected fourth book in the Abhorsen Trilogy. It's NOT an unexpected fourth book in the Abhorsen Trilogy, just for the record, although the first "story" (actually a novella) is a continuation of that world via Nick Sayers, a primary character from the trilogy.

It's ACTUALLY a collection of various Nix short stories from here, there, and everywhere. Some of them I really enjoyed. Some were just OK. I think, overall, that one of the t
Ruhama
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
A collection of short stories by the author of Sabriel and the Seventh Tower series. Nix has compiled a bunch of short things he’s published in magazines and other collections into his own collection. The first story is the longest, and it is a short tale of the Abhorsen, so fans of Sabriel will pick this up for that aspect alone. The other stories cover a variety of genres, as he’s been asked to write certain things for various magazines, but they all have a touch of fantasy to them. Each story ...more
Alysha DeShaé
My full review is here on my personal website. I'll post a few excerpts here, though:

5.0 out of 5.0 stars

The very worst thing about this book is that Garth Nix dares to tell us that he doesn’t want to hear if our favorite story is “The Coin Shower.” What was he thinking?!

The very best thing about this book is the variety of stories. They aren’t all Old Kingdom tales, and the one that is wasn’t my favorite – I’m not big on mysteries. My favorites were probably “The Hill” and “Heart’s Desire.” “Li
K.
It's been a while since I read any Garth Nix. I picked it up expecting it to be the next book in the Abhorsen series, but quickly discovered that it's a series of short stories. While only the first and the last related to the world of the Abhorsen series, this was a thoroughly enjoyable collection of Nix's work, spanning almost 20 years of his writing career. It's a great opportunity to see how a writer's style can develop over time.
Liam Healy
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never used to like short stories, but Garth Nix always seems to collect a variety of stories that make his collections more interesting. He's now one of my favorite authors, but I feel like it's about time I move on and read some other authors' works. Maybe I'll read one or two more by him, but I never like to get too focused on one author. This collection was a good one to end my Nix binge on, and I'm looking forward to reading the next Abhorsen book, whenever that comes out.
Jamie Dacyczyn
I'm marking this book as "read", but it's really more of a DNF since I quit after the Abhorsen-related story and the next. I always forget that this is a mixed bag of stories, not a collection of stories about the Old Kingdom. I don't really like short stories, so I'm only here for more Abhorsen stuff...and even that was pretty flimsy here.
Eli Claire
I'm only giving this book two stars because the only story I really enjoyed in it was the story of the Old Kingdom that was included. Most of the other stories just felt ... bleh. I've read short stories that really capture you, and make you think, and leave you wanting more - but not in this collection, unfortunately. Still, I'm glad we got to learn more about Nicholas Sayre and the Old Kingdom, and in the FAQs Nix tells you how to pronounce Ancelstierre! It's worth reading the collection if yo ...more
Natalie McCasker
I did not finish this anthology. I was only really interested in the Old Kingdom short story - Nicholas Sayre and the Creature in the Case. I don't really feel the need to continue on reading the other works. Maybe I will come back to it and read the rest eventually.
Avery (ThePagemaster)
Not a lackluster collection of short stories, but I only liked a couple of the short stories. Those being:

-Nicholas Sayre and the Creature in the Case
-Down to the Scum Quarter
-Hope Chest

The rest were either meh, or too short for me to really have any sort of true thought or grading.
Brook
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was under the impression that this was going to be short stories based in the Abhorsen universe and so found it really odd that there was one story that went along with that series and then just a bunch of random short stories. It was fine, but not what I was expecting.
Kat
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I ever try collections of short stories. Loved the first one about Nicholas Sayre. Everything else was a big modge podge collection of stories from different worlds.
Harper
Feb 07, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
DNF mostly because I just wanted to read “The Creature in the Case” before moving on to Goldenhand.
Michael
Mar 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Abhorsen story had much of what I loved from those books: mystery, atmosphere, excellent prose, and overall strangeness. Otherwise, I enjoyed most the story "Three Roses."
Tori
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
I only read Nicholas Sayre and the Creature in the Case and you know what I'm okay with that.
Kenya Starflight
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've greatly enjoyed Garth Nix's "Old Kingdom" series so far (I have two books to go at this writing), and when I learned that a novella in this story collection told the further story of Nicholas, a minor character in Lirael and Abhorsen, I was eager to read it. Nix's Old Kingdom is a unique and haunting world I wanted to explore further, and I hoped to learn a bit more about the fate of Nicholas, a tragic figure from the previous books, and what would become of him in Ancelstierre. His story i ...more
Kim
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found most of the stories to be uninteresting/boring. I did like the Hansel/Gretyl take.

I had hoped "the creature in the cage" would be about the monster Lireal had to deal with in the library, but instead dealt with boring Nicholas Sayre, who's always come off to me like a privileged, utterly generic bro. Thrilling beginning of the story that falls flat in the last part.

Meh all around.

• Cart and Cwidder (The Dalemark Quartet, #1)
  • A Tale of Time City
  • The Deep Range
  • When the Saint Falls (Westbrook Three, #1)
  • Mountain of Mars (Starship's Mage, #8)
  • The Kitchen Charmer (The MacBrides, #3)
  • The Norwegian With Scott: The Antarctic Diary of Tryggve Gran, 1910-13
  • Crossing Pirate Waters (Escape Book 2)
  • Have Yourself a Merry Little Murder (A Darcy Sweet Cozy Mystery Book 27)
  • Just Like Real People (Windrose Chronicles, 4.6)
  • Postmarked the Stars (Solar Queen, #4)
  • Novels by R. A. Salvatore: The Icewind Dale Trilogy, Transitions, the Demonwars Saga, the Dark Elf Trilogy, Legacy of the Drow
  • The Study Series Bundle (Study, #1-3)
  • Unpossible and Other Stories
  • Himalayan Hazard (Pet Whisperer P.I. #8)
  • Mixed Magics: Four Tales of Chrestomanci
  • The Will and the Wilds
  • Mind Over Money
Garth Nix was born in 1963 in Melbourne, Australia, to the sound of the Salvation Army band outside playing 'Hail the Conquering Hero Comes' or possibly 'Roll Out the Barrel'. Garth left Melbourne at an early age for Canberra (the federal capital) and stayed there till he was nineteen, when he left to drive around the UK in a beat-up Austin with a boot full of books and a Silver-Reed typewriter.

De

Abhorsen (5 books)
  • Sabriel (Abhorsen,  #1)
  • Lirael (Abhorsen, #2)
  • Abhorsen (Abhorsen, #3)
  • Clariel (Abhorsen, #4)
  • Goldenhand (Abhorsen, #5)