Start by marking “I Have a Dream” as Want to Read:
I Have a Dream

I Have a Dream

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  2,205 Ratings  ·  358 Reviews
A Coretta Scott King Illustrator Honor Book

From Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s daughter, Dr. Bernice A. King: “My father’s dream continues to live on from generation to generation, and this beautiful and powerful illustrated edition of his world-changing "I Have a Dream" speech brings his inspiring message of freedom, equality, and peace to the youngest among us—those who w
Hardcover, First Edition with audio CD, 40 pages
Published October 9th 2012 by Schwartz & Wade Books (first published August 24th 1973)

To ask other readers questions about I Have a Dream, please sign up.

Kendra.McGee A heartfelt prophetic message about peace, love, and equality among all races.

Mariah
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This picture book was amazing and came with an audio CD of Martin giving his "I have a dream" speech. My students loved this book. Even my pessimistic student shared how he loved everything about this book. This story splits the speech into separate pages and has beautiful illustrations into. It made it easy for students to understand his large and strong vocabulary.

I suggest everyone to read this book to their children, students, etc :)
Ken Moten
Ahh yes, I remember this book. I got it when it first came out in '97, it was the biggest (in terms of length/size) I owned as it was made in the style of books you put on your living room table. The book contains the full speech supplemented by specially commissioned pictures that were interpreting a quotation from the speech. At the end was a commentary on the pictures, in which we are told what the artists were trying to capture.

As for the actual speech, I do not know what more to add to the
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
Until I've read this speech in its entirety I didn't know that before the mesmerizing I Have a Dream I Have a Dream and Let Freedom Ring Let Freedom Ring passages here Martin Luther King Jr. had used some similes, likening the Negro then to someone cashing a check, or collecting a debt under a promissory note which is the American constitution.

This is also perhaps where President Obama patterned his Yes We Can Yes We Can inaugural speech.

There is, indeed, a strong emotional pull on speeches tha
Kayce
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
His words, taken on their own, give me chills and bring tears to my eyes. But seeing Dr. King's beloved speech coupled with the beautiful paintings of Kadir Nelson is absolutely breathtaking. A must have for every classroom, school library, and personal collection.
Zahra
و همچنانکه در این راه گام برمیداریم، باید عهد کنیم که همواره پیش خواهیم رفت. ما نمیتوانیم به عقب بازگردیم. برخیها، از هواخواهان حقوق مدنی میپرسند، «کی راضی خواهید شد؟» ما تا روزی که سیاهپوستان قربانی وحشت غیرقابل بیان بیرحمی پلیساند نمیتوانیم راضی شویم. تا روزی که تنهای خسته از سفر ما نتوانند بستری در مسافرخانههای شاهراهها و هتلهای شهرها پیدا کنند، نمیتوانیم راضی باشیم. تا روزی که تحرک اصلی ما فقط از محلههای اقلیتنشین کوچکتر به محلههای اقلیتنشین بزرگتر است نمیتوانیم راضی باشیم. تا روزی که شخصیت ...more
Leslie
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I didn't really read this Kindle book but read the text online after watching the speech on YouTube.

Martin Luther King Jr. is one of my heroes, and it seemed appropriate to listen & read his words today in honor of his memory on MLK day. Sadly, so much is still apposite 50+ years later. This passage in particular struck me:

"We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality."

In the intervening years, this aspect of racism doesn't seem
Angela Juline
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First time actually reading the entire speech...so beautiful! I couldn't help but feel sad, that despite the progress that has been made, there is still so far to go.
Brenda Kahn
I put off reading this one until today. Honestly, I get lost in Kadir Nelson's work. It's luminous and powerful and the perfect complement to one of the most luminous and powerful speeches of the 20th century. I never get tired of reading/ hearing that speech and I never tire of viewing Nelson's art. A must purchase for all school libraries. You may think you have enough MLK books; but you don't. Your collection is not complete without this one.
Honesty
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
On August 28th, 1963 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. gave his historical speech about race equality, and his dream for such. I think that it was a pretty great children's book. It does its job in briefly giving some of the key points of his speech, while allowing it to be understandable to children.

The speech takes place in Washington D.C on the steps of the Lincoln memorial. They depict the scene as a slightly sunny blue sky day, with only slight cloud coverage. The artist used oil paint to illustra
Alex Baugh
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: randomly-reading
*This review was written on January 21, 2013, which is both MLK Day and Inauguration Day*

Today is Martin Luther King, Jr Day in the United States and what better way to pay tribute to him than to remember his life and his words. And in Kadir Nelson's stunning book I Have A Dream, you can do that.

I got chills down my back when I first read this beautiful book, the same kind of chills I get whenever I hear Dr. King's moving speech. Now, highlighting the last part of the speech, the dream excerpt,
LauraR
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mc-literature
As a children’s picture book, I commend the illustrator on creating this extraordinary piece of literature. Although Martin Luther King Jr. is the author of this story, the way in which a time in history was broken down into shorter, understandable elements, is remarkable. This story highlights Dr. Martin Luther King’s speech delivered in August in 1963, and selects certain quotes from his speech that were powerful and inspiring. Large, full-page images are created in order to bring those quotes ...more
Jim Erekson
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Nelson took on an ambitious project, and made some fine choices. The cinematic techniques are what strikes me most. As I read I moved back and forth between establishing wide shots, medium range shots, and close-ups. Some of the close ups and wide shots are extreme. The cover and the pages with the line "From every mountainside, let freedom ring!" are extreme close ups. Extreme close up has two effects visually. 1. It magnifies the value and intensity of the person being represented (obvous), an ...more
Katie Ulmen-Smith
I Have A Dream by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, artwork by Kadir Nelson; Random House 2012 (original text 1963); Pages:20; Genre: Speech/Historical; Grade level:K-3; Lexile Level: 1130; Guided Reading Level:Q

In this beautiful abridged, picture book copy Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech comes alive. Originally written and spoke on August 28, 1963, Dr. King hoped that someday all people would receive equal rights that they deserved. Spoken at a Civil Rights rally, Dr. King inspired those around hi
Emily Hynes
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
There could be no better pairing than the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the illustrations of Kadir Nelson. The forty page picture book comes with a CD of King's famous "I have a dream" speech from 1963, allowing the reader to hear the prosody with which he spoke, that drew in so many listeners from that point forward.

The illustrations equal the intensity of the speech/text, with dramatic angles and lighting of realistic paintings that place you into that moment in 1963. Some pages il
Tasha
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The power of Martin Luther King’s words meet the beauty of Nelson’s art in this luminous picture book. Using lines pulled directly from the latter part of King’s famous I Have a Dream speech, Nelson shows young readers how history was made that day. From King himself standing before the Lincoln Memorial to the seas of people listening, people of all colors standing side-by-side. Kadir moves back and forth between capturing the magnificence of King and his speech to images of what the world being ...more
Garrett Reimers
1. Think back to the book What Was Your Dream, Dr. King? What do you remember about Dr. King? (Let students respond) That is right he said "I have a dream!". In this book we will hear Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s original speech or dream that he had. He had a dream in which he shared his vision for what the world would be like without segration. As we read think about how you can connect this book with another book that we have read.

2. The talk moves that I used are activating prior knowledge be
Laura Verret
I laid out ten cents for this book thinking that it was a biography of Martin Luther King, Jr. Instead, it turned out to be something far more beautiful. I Have a Dream contains exactly that – the famous speech Dr. King delivered on August 28, 1963 to gathered hordes of Americans. And even better yet, the speech is set off with the paintings of fourteen different artists who all wished to pay honor to Dr. King’s memory through their contributions.

Various people may argue over the degree to which
Valerie Lurquin
I absolutely loved the illustrations throughout this book! Kadir Nelson painted such a beautiful image of Dr. King and the March on Washington. The images were just perfect even down to the emotion shown in Dr. King's face as he gave his speech. I listened to this on CD as I looked along through the illustrations and it just brought the speech to life. It was quite inspiring for me and it would definitely inspire our young students during a study of this time period. It is well deserving of the ...more
Barbara
Every page in this gorgeously illustrated book evokes the memory of Dr. King and the power of his words and speech to inspire others to work toward change. The entire "I Have a Dream" speech is in the back of the book, and the oil illustrations accompany excerpts from that speech given in August 1963. Several of the pages made me well up emotionally at how far we've come and how far we have to go. I loved the two pages with two hands, one white, one black, clasped in friendship and imagined the ...more
Mary Ann
Kadir Nelson’s stirring paintings capture King’s passion, vision and determination on this historic day. Showing literal and figurative scenes from King’s speech, and close-ups of King himself, Nelson conveys the many emotions wrapped up in these inspiring words. The complete text of the speech is printed at the back, and an accompanying CD lets young children hear King’s original delivery of this famous speech.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
I shared this book with a group of kids at the recent book fair and they haven't stopped bugging me about readying this book for checkout. It's a beautiful book. Kadir Nelson, with his starkly realistic paintings, brings us up close to the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s famous speech. Mesmerizing.
Donalyn
I will admit that my eyes filled with tears before I opened this book. Kadir Nelson creates a stunning accompaniment to King's famous speech. Beautiful images, some taken from historic photographs, bring renewed life to King's message. Includes the entire speech in the back and an audio recording.

The perfect gift book.
Shannon
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot overstate how gorgeous the art in this book is. With extreme closeups and stunning colors, this is an excellent kid-friendly distillation of MLK's I Have a Dream speech. Full text of the speech is included, as is an audio CD of the full speech.
Earl
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s been awhile since I read his famous “I Have a Dream” speech in its entirety. It’s as moving and powerful now as ever before. This book with Kadir Nelson’s lush illustrations is a great example of how picture books are sometimes works of art.
Elizabeth☮
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i bought this book because i teach this every year. it comes with the original audio recording on CD which i immediately listened to with my daughters.

the illustrations are beautiful.

a wonderful tribute to a phenomenal speech.
Namerah
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amen! This dream, it lives inside all of us. Equality for all mankind, regardless of skin colour, religion, gender or any other form of discrimination. This world is in turmoil, but hopefully we are indeed marching forward.
Jackie Douthat
I first saw this book in a kindergarten placement and fell in love with it. The pictures are beautiful and go so well with the speech, I got goosebumps when I read it. This book is beautiful and would be a great asset to teach about Martin Luther King Jr. and the American Civil Rights Movement.
Green Bean
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eleanor
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's only a picture book and it's just the speech but the mix of the words with the illustrations in this edition are stunning!
Lauren
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: story-shop-reads
Beautiful illustrations and a great introduction to Dr. King's speech.
Authentic 1 2 Oct 02, 2016 07:45PM
  • Martin & Mahalia: His Words, Her Song
  • Helen's Big World: The Life of Helen Keller
  • We March
  • It Jes' Happened: When Bill Traylor Started to Draw
  • Here Come the Girl Scouts!: The Amazing All-True Story of  Juliette 'Daisy' Gordon Low and Her Great Adventure
  • Looking at Lincoln
  • A Rock Is Lively
  • Electric Ben: The Amazing Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin
  • Ocean Sunlight: How Tiny Plants Feed the Seas
  • The Price of Freedom: How One Town Stood Up to Slavery
Martin Luther King, Jr. was one of the pivotal leaders of the American civil rights movement. King was a Baptist minister, one of the few leadership roles available to black men at the time. He became a civil rights activist early in his career. He led the Montgomery Bus Boycott (1955–1956) and helped found the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (1957), serving as its first president. His ef ...more
More about Martin Luther King Jr....

“I have a dream that one day little black boys and girls will be holding hands with little white boys and girls.” 970 likes
“The difference between a dreamer and a visionary is that a dreamer has his eyes closed and a visionary has his eyes open” 44 likes