Start by marking “A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows (Outlander, #8.5)” as Want to Read:
A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows (Outlander, #8.5)

A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows (Outlander #8.5)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  15,536 Ratings  ·  853 Reviews
Available for the first time as an exclusive eBook in this original Outlander novella, Diana Gabaldon reveals what really happened to Roger MacKenzie Wakefield’s parents. Orphaned during World War II, Roger believed that his mother died during the London Blitz, and that his father, an RAF pilot, was killed in combat. But in An Echo in the Bone, Roger discovers that this ma ...more
Published December 3rd 2012 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows, please sign up.

Michelle Mcdonald I just came across the answer to your question by chance looking up something else on the outlandish observations site, Maria - chapter 21. Cheers.
Dovile Here on Goodreads it means this story is supposed to be read after Outlander book #8 Written in My Own Heart's Blood although the novel was published…moreHere on Goodreads it means this story is supposed to be read after Outlander book #8 Written in My Own Heart's Blood although the novel was published 2 years later than the story. The John Grey books have a separate numbering, so you'll have to look at when books from both series were published if you intend to read them both at once (you should, as they tie in into each other and you might be spoiled otherwise.)(less)

Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it

What really happened to Jerry MacKenzie, Roger's father?

Roger had always believed his father, an RAF pilot died after being shot down while flying a mission over the English Channel during World War 2.

This novella will be appreciated by fans of the Outlander series and isn't a standalone. Best read before or after book #8 Written in My Own Heart's Blood, it tells what really became of Roger's father.

Well put together and great short piece to add to the whole Outlander world and experience.
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A short little novella....but an important one! A slice of backstory regarding Roger's parents and how they died which filled in an area never gotten to in the 'big' books. I really enjoy these little 'fill in' books that branch out into the less 'major' characters and answer the niggling little questions. However...she has yet to address my main question....was the 'highlander' outside Claire's window at the start of the first book actually Jamie?? And HOW did he end up across Randall's body at ...more
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It seems like we've been waiting so long for Diana Gabaldon's next book, so I was very excited to download this novella! While there's no mention of Claire or Jaime, we get to meet a very wee Roger and learn more about his parents. I have always thought that there was more to Jerry MacKenzie's story, especially, and it seems I was right! I don't want to give anything away, but I was very excited when I figured out who two strangers - one dark and one fair - were. There's also an interesting came ...more

5 Stars! Had this for a while and I never read it. Then I got to a point in WiMOHB where I had to stop and go glad I did...and so glad I waited!
Dec 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was entirely too excited about this. I started it and was unable to finish for about 24 hours and during that time I think I built my expectation of this novella up to epic proportions.

Was this epic? Most certainly not. Was it an interesting little side read for someone who really enjoyed Outlander? Without a doubt.
Lori McD
This little gem of a story ALWAYS brings tears to my eyes! It's such a lovely, bittersweet, unexpected story! Diana G fills it with characters we know or have only heard about - both past and present in the Outlander series.

This is the story of Roger's parents, Jerry (Jeremy) and Dolly (Marjorie) Mackenzie and WWII... Jerry is a Spitfire pilot, approached by none other than Frank Randall (yes, Claire's 1st husband) to fly on a photo mission in Poland. But while practicing with the new cameras, J
Sonja Arlow
3 1/2 stars

I like to think that the author wrote this book on a dare to see if she was able to write something of substance under 60 pages. I say this because anyone who has read books in the Outlander series knows how much she loves rambled storylines. Don’t get me wrong, I really adore the series but have promised myself I would never read another of her books after book 1. The audio versions are just so much better. But trust me, you can read this in under an hour and be totally satisfied whe
This is one of the novellas that answers question,raises others and explores some character back stories in the Outlander series. This one answers the question of what really happened to Roger's parents, Jerry and Dolly MacKenzie.
On a training mission in Northumberland, Jerry finds himself having to make a ditch landing. When he comes to,he finds himself in another time.Meanwhile his wife Dolly grieves the loss of her husband, raising little Roger in her mother's house during the London Blitz.
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. It adds a number of details to the Outlander stories that I hadn't even realized I was missing, and wanted to know! And they is one really special element that I won't discuss because it is too delicious to experience it while reading the story. Thank you, Diana! Keep filling in the niches of the story as the opportunities arise!
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had forgotten how much I loved the Outlander books, but this one made it all come back. Just wish it had been longer!
Once again, as with every book in the Outlander series, there is a gaping error in the timeline.

In the excerpt from An Echo in the Bone that reappears in the introduction to this novella, Claire says Frank told her about this just before being recruited to MI6. But in the novella, he's already in MI6! As I've said in every review I've written of the Outlander series: huh????

Come on, Diana, you just said it!

Other than that, it was good. It made me cry(view spoiler)
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Holy $&*# Mother of mercy... I almost ripped my loved one's larynx out to keep him from obliterating the emotion I was realizing as I finished the last few pages of this novella.
I somehow decided to read it before Echo and I am so glad I did! I have been waiting for MOBY and been reading my beloved Lord John's adventures (which if you have not you effing Must!!) and decided why not indulge in the shorts to keep myself patient...
All I can say is wow... I don't read these books as a romance
Nov 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: time-travel

This is another great building block to the plot of the series. It shows more of how all the characters are connected. This time it's information about Roger and his family. Each time I learn a little tidbit of info, I get excited about where the author is leading us.
Dana Ilie
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Volumul 8.5 aici de fata este o scurta povestioara din viata parintilor lui Roger, Jerry si Marjorie MacKenzie. Stiti deja ca Jerry era pilot si in aceasta nuvela se antreneaza pentru o misiune speciala. Ceva nu merge bine si ajunge langa o formatiune de pietre unde intalneste doi straini..... Nu am de gand sa va stric distractia asa ca nu zic mai mult.
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
If you've read anything about the author you know that she writes as an exercise. And this is what this felt like to me. It was an interesting turn and I enjoyed finding out more about roger's parents but it felt thrown together and unfinished and i found myself not caring at all about the characters.
This is a short story about what really happened with Roger' s parents. His father's death was even more sad than I originally thought. Gabaldon excels at keeping her details and timelines straight. It was interesting finding out Frank Randall' s role as well. Great story!
Tracy Winger
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
It just wasn't long enough to get all the information I think it should have had. While you assume Dolly also passed there could have been much more detail.
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted it to be longer. It was an interesting peek into Roger's family, but his father's reactions to everything that happened were unusually absent for a DG book.
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-the-best
I wish it was longer!!!!!! I was so happy when the "dark haired & light haired" men appeared! I won't give away who it was but it brought tears to my eyes! Loved this novella!
Beth Simkanin
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! A lot is Packed into This Little Novella

A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows is an Outlander novella which follows Jerry and Marjorie Mackenzie, Roger Wakefield's parents, during World War II. It gives the reader insight into the events which led up to what happened to the Mackenzie family during the blitz in London. I have to admit that I was quite blown away by the ending of this novella. It was so heart-wrenching!

It was an enjoyable look into Jerry and Marjorie's marriage and how much they
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read Diana Gabaldon's "A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallow's Eve" in the anthology Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love. This was the story I bought the book for, the one I couldn't wait to read, because Gabaldon promised it was about Roger's parents. I was disappointed to find it last in the book, but deteremined to read the darn book in order. Now I'm glad I did, because everything else (even the really good ones) would be a disappointment after Gabaldon's story whic ...more
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved this little novella. Gave just enough information without giving too much. Have to go back now, though, and re-read An Echo in the Bone, since it's been so long ago I read it. This novella reminds me what it is I love about Gabaldon books - they make me feel like I'm there watching everything and they make me feel what the characters are feeling. I also love all the research that goes into each book. Can't wait for the In My Own Heart's Blood.
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love this series. A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows was a great "hold me over" until the next book in this series comes out. Gave you lots of great background on sub-characters that we absolutely wanted to know more about.
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2012
What a great read. Diana Gabaldon's style puts you right into the story and makes you want to curl up and stay. Her books are usually so long that I need to dedicate a significant amount of time to read them (worth it but still requires planning). This one was short and poignant.
Melissa **Just Really Loves Musicals**
Such a good extra story to read in the Outlander series. It was brilliant to see Rogers parents, and find out what happened, especially after reading An Echo in The Bone.
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Frankly, I was disappointed. . . I loved the initial Outlander book, and the story line, but this novella, while answering the question of what happened to Roger's parents, left me feeling, meh.
Michelle K
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-read
A different spin on the story we believed we knew from Outlander.

Okay I admit, as I do with all Diana Gabaldon books, I really don't know how to classify A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows. It's not really a romance but the story is romantic. It is definitely historical and it has the trademark sci-fi fantasy.

I finished reading Diana Gabaldon's Echo in the Bone for a third time and I really wanted to read what happened to Roger's parents. I actually bough
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I waited to read this until after I had reread the seven Outlander books and read the Lord John series, The Exhile, and The Space Between. All I can say is it was one heck of a finale. Fantastic!

I know DG calls this one of her 'bulge books.' But that doesn't seem quite right. It's more like a tributary. The ideas and story lines in her 'bulge books' do so much to feed the main story. I love them! I love her! The next time I go to one of her book signings it will be all I can do to not throw
Oct 04, 2016 rated it liked it

Bueno, finalmente se sabe lo que pasó con el padre de Roger. Esperaba que la parte que no se sabía (es decir, lo que ocurre después de lo que vimos en el libro 8) fuese un poco más extensa, pero la mayor parte de esta historia breve se centra en mostrarnos a Jerry como piloto, como esposo y un poquitito como padre.

Si bien desde el primer libro sabemos lo que pasó, me dejó triste y a la vez feliz el finalmente saber cómo pasó todo. Fue lindo el final, o al menos la forma en
Allyce Cameron
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This little short story I listened to on my road trip! I'm not sure how I felt about the reader, it's a little unnerving listening to a grown man read the voice of a small child, but I'm still new to this whole audiobook thing so what do I know! A cute little aside to the Outlander universe, you knew it couldn't end well (Roger being an orphan and all) but the ending was still genuinely sad. I haven't actually read the last two books yet either so I didn't remember his trip to the past from Roge ...more
  • The Endless Forest (Wilderness, #6)
  • Crossroads in Time (After Cilmeri #3)
  • Blue Bells of Scotland (Blue Bells Trilogy, #1)
  • Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love
  • Ivy and Intrigue: A Very Selwick Christmas
  • Exit Unicorns
  • Rivals for the Crown (Highland, #2)
  • Midnight Honor (Highlands, #3)
  • Mariana
  • To Defy a King (William Marshal, #5; Bigod, #2)
  • A Kingdom's Cost (The Douglas Trilogy, #1)
Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and is of Mexican-American and English descent. She has earned three degrees: a B.S. in Zoology, a M.S. in Marine Biology, and a Ph.D in Ecology.

She currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona .
More about Diana Gabaldon...

Outlander (9 books)
  • Outlander (Outlander, #1)
  • Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2)
  • Voyager (Outlander, #3)
  • Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4)
  • The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5)
  • A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6)
  • An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7)
  • Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander, #8)
  • Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone (Outlander, #9)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Reluctant Queen (The Queens of Renthia #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
“bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.” 0 likes
“The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.” 0 likes