Start by marking “A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows (Outlander, #8.5)” as Want to Read:
A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows (Outlander, #8.5)

A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows

(Outlander #8.5)

Available for the first time as an exclusive eBook in this original Outlander novella, Diana Gabaldon reveals what really happened to Roger MacKenzie Wakefield’s parents. Orphaned during World War II, Roger believed that his mother died during the London Blitz, and that his father, an RAF pilot, was killed in combat. But in An Echo in the Bone, Roger discovers that this ma ...more
Published December 3rd 2012 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows, please sign up.
Michelle Mcdonald I just came across the answer to your question by chance looking up something else on the outlandish observations site, Maria - chapter 21. Cheers.
Dovile Here on Goodreads it means this story is supposed to be read after Outlander book #8 Written in My Own Heart's Blood although the novel was published …moreHere on Goodreads it means this story is supposed to be read after Outlander book #8 Written in My Own Heart's Blood although the novel was published 2 years later than the story. The John Grey books have a separate numbering, so you'll have to look at when books from both series were published if you intend to read them both at once (you should, as they tie in into each other and you might be spoiled otherwise.)(less)

Start your review of A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows (Outlander, #8.5)
Jill
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it

What really happened to Jerry MacKenzie, Roger's father?

description

Roger had always believed his father, an RAF pilot died after being shot down while flying a mission over the English Channel during World War 2.

This novella will be appreciated by fans of the Outlander series and isn't a standalone. Best read before or after book #8 Written in My Own Heart's Blood, it tells what really became of Roger's father.

Well put together and great short piece to add to the whole Outlander world and exper
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ✺❂❤❣
Q:
“‘INITIATIVE, AGGRESSION, AIR DISCIPLINE, and TEAM WORK are words that MEAN something in Air Fighting.’” Yeah, they did. What meant something in reconnaissance? Stealth, Speed, and Bloody Good Luck, more like. (c)
Virginia
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A short little novella....but an important one! A slice of backstory regarding Roger's parents and how they died which filled in an area never gotten to in the 'big' books. I really enjoy these little 'fill in' books that branch out into the less 'major' characters and answer the niggling little questions. However...she has yet to address my main question....was the 'highlander' outside Claire's window at the start of the first book actually Jamie?? And HOW did he end up across Randall's body at ...more
Robin
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It seems like we've been waiting so long for Diana Gabaldon's next book, so I was very excited to download this novella! While there's no mention of Claire or Jaime, we get to meet a very wee Roger and learn more about his parents. I have always thought that there was more to Jerry MacKenzie's story, especially, and it seems I was right! I don't want to give anything away, but I was very excited when I figured out who two strangers - one dark and one fair - were. There's also an interesting came ...more
Lauren
Dec 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was entirely too excited about this. I started it and was unable to finish for about 24 hours and during that time I think I built my expectation of this novella up to epic proportions.

Was this epic? Most certainly not. Was it an interesting little side read for someone who really enjoyed Outlander? Without a doubt.
Karla

5 Stars! Had this for a while and I never read it. Then I got to a point in WiMOHB where I had to stop and go back...so glad I did...and so glad I waited!
Lisa Wolf
This is probably my 3rd time reading this story (previous reads were via anthologies rather than as a stand-alone), and I love it so much. Outlander fans must read this story about Roger's parents during World War II, as it answers some questions about Roger's childhood and provides a glimpse at a scene from Written in My Own Heart's Blood from a different perspective.

What really happened to Jerry Mackenzie, Roger's father, an RAF pilot who was reported dead after his plane was shot down? Read t
Lori McD
This little gem of a story ALWAYS brings tears to my eyes! It's such a lovely, bittersweet, unexpected story! Diana G fills it with characters we know or have only heard about - both past and present in the Outlander series.

This is the story of Roger's parents, Jerry (Jeremy) and Dolly (Marjorie) Mackenzie and WWII... Jerry is a Spitfire pilot, approached by none other than Frank Randall (yes, Claire's 1st husband) to fly on a photo mission in Poland. But while practicing with the new cameras, J
Sonja Arlow
3 1/2 stars

I like to think that the author wrote this book on a dare to see if she was able to write something of substance under 60 pages. I say this because anyone who has read books in the Outlander series knows how much she loves rambled storylines. Don’t get me wrong, I really adore the series but have promised myself I would never read another of her books after book 1. The audio versions are just so much better. But trust me, you can read this in under an hour and be totally satisfied whe
Marianne
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Leaf On The Wind Of All Hallows is a short story in the popular Outlander series by American author, Diana Gabaldon. In the first full-length novel of the series, the reader learns that little Roger MacKenzie is an orphan being raised by his great uncle, Reverend Reginald Wakefield. Jeremiah MacKenzie is an RAF pilot who is recruited by MI6 for a covert mission over Poland. Before training in Northumbria, he visits his wife Marjorie (Dolly) and his infant son, Roger. Up in Northumbria, with en ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
3.5 stars. Lovely and sad. Full review soon.
Alaina
What a cute little novella. I breezed through this and totally forgot to mention that on GR.. and then I also totally forgot to write the review. OOPS!

A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows is about what really happened to Roger's father, Jerry MacKenzie. I rather enjoyed this book because it was a realistic novella .. less than 100 pages! I don't know how Diana did it but I'm so proud of her. It must've been hard to write a tiny book but I thank my lucky stars that she did. I also really enjoyed thi
Mary
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had forgotten how much I loved the Outlander books, but this one made it all come back. Just wish it had been longer!
Matt
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
What ever happened to Jerry MacKenzie, father of Roger, whose plane went down during the War effort? As Gabaldon mentions in the story's preface, discussion of Jerry opened in An Echo in the Bone, where Claire admitted that the story Roger knew was not entirely true. With Roger finally encountering Jerry in 1739, something must have happened related to the Stones, but the story is again not flushed out. Gabaldon chooses this point to offer a real account of events, just in time as Outlander fans ...more
Melodie
This is one of the novellas that answers question,raises others and explores some character back stories in the Outlander series. This one answers the question of what really happened to Roger's parents, Jerry and Dolly MacKenzie.
On a training mission in Northumberland, Jerry finds himself having to make a ditch landing. When he comes to,he finds himself in another time.Meanwhile his wife Dolly grieves the loss of her husband, raising little Roger in her mother's house during the London Blitz.
Goodlittlewitch
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. It adds a number of details to the Outlander stories that I hadn't even realized I was missing, and wanted to know! And they is one really special element that I won't discuss because it is too delicious to experience it while reading the story. Thank you, Diana! Keep filling in the niches of the story as the opportunities arise!
Caitlin
Toni FGMAMTC
Nov 26, 2015 rated it liked it

This is another great building block to the plot of the series. It shows more of how all the characters are connected. This time it's information about Roger and his family. Each time I learn a little tidbit of info, I get excited about where the author is leading us.
Shron
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Holy $&*# Mother of mercy... I almost ripped my loved one's larynx out to keep him from obliterating the emotion I was realizing as I finished the last few pages of this novella.
I somehow decided to read it before Echo and I am so glad I did! I have been waiting for MOBY and been reading my beloved Lord John's adventures (which if you have not you effing Must!!) and decided why not indulge in the shorts to keep myself patient...
All I can say is wow... I don't read these books as a romance fan-
Maryse
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
If you've read anything about the author you know that she writes as an exercise. And this is what this felt like to me. It was an interesting turn and I enjoyed finding out more about roger's parents but it felt thrown together and unfinished and i found myself not caring at all about the characters.
Angie
This is a short story about what really happened with Roger' s parents. His father's death was even more sad than I originally thought. Gabaldon excels at keeping her details and timelines straight. It was interesting finding out Frank Randall' s role as well. Great story!
Beth
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love this series. A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows was a great "hold me over" until the next book in this series comes out. Gave you lots of great background on sub-characters that we absolutely wanted to know more about.
Teresa
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted it to be longer. It was an interesting peek into Roger's family, but his father's reactions to everything that happened were unusually absent for a DG book.
Jill
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-the-best
I wish it was longer!!!!!! I was so happy when the "dark haired & light haired" men appeared! I won't give away who it was but it brought tears to my eyes! Loved this novella! ...more
Tracy Winger
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
It just wasn't long enough to get all the information I think it should have had. While you assume Dolly also passed there could have been much more detail.
Tracy
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a shorter novella (compared to the others) but it was very good in my opinion! It's quite sad but has a sort of happy ending. Not exactly what I wanted but due to the circumstances it's a decent outcome. I was always curious what exactly happened to Roger's parents and this novella answers that question thoroughly. Highly recommended for any Outlander fan!
Brittany
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read Diana Gabaldon's "A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallow's Eve" in the anthology Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love. This was the story I bought the book for, the one I couldn't wait to read, because Gabaldon promised it was about Roger's parents. I was disappointed to find it last in the book, but deteremined to read the darn book in order. Now I'm glad I did, because everything else (even the really good ones) would be a disappointment after Gabaldon's story whic ...more
Beth
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! A lot is Packed into This Little Novella

A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows is an Outlander novella which follows Jerry and Marjorie Mackenzie, Roger Wakefield's parents, during World War II. It gives the reader insight into the events which led up to what happened to the Mackenzie family during the blitz in London. I have to admit that I was quite blown away by the ending of this novella. It was so heart-wrenching!

It was an enjoyable look into Jerry and Marjorie's marriage and how much they
Dar
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved this little novella. Gave just enough information without giving too much. Have to go back now, though, and re-read An Echo in the Bone, since it's been so long ago I read it. This novella reminds me what it is I love about Gabaldon books - they make me feel like I'm there watching everything and they make me feel what the characters are feeling. I also love all the research that goes into each book. Can't wait for the In My Own Heart's Blood.
Jan
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2012
What a great read. Diana Gabaldon's style puts you right into the story and makes you want to curl up and stay. Her books are usually so long that I need to dedicate a significant amount of time to read them (worth it but still requires planning). This one was short and poignant.
Books & Coffee Bo...: A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows (Outlander #8.5) 4 4 Jul 15, 2019 05:39AM

• Finding Fraser
  • Diana Gabaldon Complete Series Reading Order
  • The Wolf and the Highlander (Highland Wishes #2)
  • Lake in the Clouds (Wilderness, #3)
  • Shakespeare for Squirrels
  • I'm Still Here
  • Moonlight On Butternut Lake
  • Bloom
  • Into the Wilderness (Wilderness, #1)
  • Low: An Honest Advent Devotional
  • Run to the Finish: The Everyday Runner's Guide to Avoiding Injury, Ignoring the Clock, and Loving the Run
  • The Promise of Security
  • Dawn on a Distant Shore (Wilderness, #2)
  • A Knight on the Town: A Cozy Witch Mystery (The Avalon Café, #2)
  • The Old Farmer's Almanac 2020
  • Outlander Kitchen: The Official Outlander Companion Cookbook
  • Hidden in Time (The MacCarthy Sisters, #2)
  • The Road to Moonlight Feels Right
Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and is of Mexican-American and English descent. She has earned three degrees: a B.S. in Zoology, a M.S. in Marine Biology, and a Ph.D in Ecology.

She currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona .

Outlander (9 books)
  • Outlander (Outlander, #1)
  • Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2)
  • Voyager (Outlander, #3)
  • Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4)
  • The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5)
  • A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6)
  • An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7)
  • Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander, #8)
  • Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone (Outlander, #9)