Start by marking “Battle Station (Star Force, #5)” as Want to Read:
Battle Station (Star Force, #5)

Battle Station

(Star Force #5)

In BATTLE STATION Kyle Riggs faces new challenges, new alien fleets and learns the secrets behind the war he has been fighting for years.

In the fifth book of the Star Force Series, the Eden system is in humanity's grasp, but can they keep it? Star Force is weak after a long war, and many yearn to go home. Knowing the machines will return with a new armada eventually, Riggs
Published May 2nd 2012

To ask other readers questions about Battle Station, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battle Station

Dan
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
An OK read.
C G Bronson
Nov 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
I have read all of the Star Force novels up to date (Swarm, Extinction, Rebellion, and Conquest). This is the fifth book in the series. I have to say it is apparent that this one was not given the same effort as prior novels.

Larson is frequently criticized for moving too fast. He doesn't take a lot of time to setup a satisfying background story or develop characters. Another minor criticism is that his story and character progression are too unbelievable to be taken seriously. I will talk in a l
Shaft
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
More of the same from a pretty solid series but oh my goodness Kyle can make some dumb and impulsive decisions sometimes. He is definitely flawed though it feels like the book goes a little overboard painting him as a hero. Definitely a series you need to start at the beginning, things change a great deal from book to book.
Jonathan Pettit
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining! Military science fiction action. Kyle Riggs continues to do the unexpected. As he tries to defeat the Macros and unite all the biotic specifies, he still manages to entertain us. I still enjoy the series, though it's not as thought-provoking as previous books. Mark Boyett does a great job as narrator on the Audible.com version.
allan graham
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Love this series, old style sci fi, yes it has its faults, but still worth 5 stars
Jim
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The previous books in this series have been all out war. War with the Macros, who are machines bent on eradicating all biotic life. They have found Earth but one guy, Kyle Riggs, an "enhanced" human who has overcome serious run-ins with Macros now leads the Earth Marine Force and Fleet to track down and destroy the Macros. He does that with a vengeance in the previous four books.

Now in this book, he begins a much needed consolidation of his forces in one of his liberated galaxies. He's got some
Mike Nemeth
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In "Battle Station," author B.V. Larson focuses on one of the coolest themes in his series about Kyle Riggs, an unlikely hero who has repeatedly saved the human race from extinction. This theme is that of rebuilding and construction of devices that will prevent the machines from killing everything not mechanical. This time Riggs is stuck in the Eden system of planets with the Centaurs, the odd and gaseous Blues and weird intelligent bacteria. He has disobeyed Crow yet again, angering the other c ...more
Julian
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Another B.V. Larson book I totally demolished in a little over a day. I just can't get enough of these books. I know they will eventually have to end when earth wins more and more battles and gains more production ability to finally defeat these robotic foes, but I really don't want it to end. My greed is total! (sorry Mr Larson). I love the battles, the disputes between fleet and marines, the characters... I could go on and on. Military scifi is really taking over as the dominant scifi sub-genr ...more
BobA707
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Summary: Quite enjoyed this, the premise just doesn't work, the characters are all pretty unpleasant, but the plot moves along briskly and plenty of action. Some 'blues' interaction but otherwise minimum aliens. Some poor editing and some massive plot holes.

Plotline: Not well thought out but moves along very nicely, plenty of action. Some huge weaknesses so best to not think too hard about this plot.

Premise: No, just doesn't make sense, well may be a bit more than it did

Writing: The characters a
Alexander Bradley
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
B.V Larson is becoming one of my favorite authors of all time. He has such an imagination that its unbelievable.

So onto the book. Another great Rigs Pigs tale about being undermanned, under-gunned and still coming out on top with a few scars to show for it. Admittedly the battle station only shows up at the end but the stories still fantastic with great pacing that few writers have mastered. I can read this series and not even think about how far I am in the book cus I don't want to know. I neve
Christopher
Feb 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Kyle Riggs is slightly less insufferably this go-round, though his arbitrary nature and tendency to joke about men under his command that have JUST died remains, as does his tendency to randomly threaten/promise promotion or demotion to subordinates (while it's completely unclear what purpose rank has in Star Force beyond being a 'cookie' for Riggs to dangle at times.

We meet a new alien race, get a little insight into who created the Macros, and have more generic power-suit battles.
Lars Dradrach
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Back on track.......

It's like Larson have been reading the numerous critical reviews and decided to correct some issues.

The male chauvinist tone has been turned down a little, there are even females having own opinions and agendas. Our hero Kyle is now making mistakes and realising it himself.

The story is still wildly entertaining which is quite impressive in volume 5 of this kind of sci-if series.
Zhifei Ge
Jul 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The fifth book of the Star Force is not really appealing, especially after the thrilling fourth book. In this book, the Blue is starting to be demystified, and the combat between the Star Force and the Macro is fading. But on either thing, the author doesn't seem provide anything really creative. I'm going to read the next book anyway, but I hope it's turning back to the right direction.
Jeff Miller
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I can't think of another modern series that reminds me so of Golden Age space opera. Kind of like Lensman and Starship Troopers. For me that's a good thing as I expect a fun read from this series. Instead of the super genius scientist we have alien factories and nanites for the plot - but it gets the job done and helps drive the inventive storyline.
Diane
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, sci-fi
4.5

This series is SO much fun. It's got action, suspense, and lots of robot alien arse-kicking. At any point, I find myself laughing, pumping my fists, or biting my knuckles. If you want a straightforward fun, thrilling, military sci-fi, then dive in and experience Kyle Rigg's intergalactic, heroic, and sometimes insane shenanigans.
Arthur
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Of all the series B.V. Larson writes, I find this one the most interesting overall. I do wish the hero was a bit more realistic at times, however. I keep imagining him wearing a cape with a big red 'S' on it. Definitely requires more suspension of disbelief than I like sometimes. Nonetheless, the series is interesting and I want to read more.
Jason
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction

This is a great book series that covers such a wide range of topics and human problems that it is hard to categorize it clearly at times. It is definitely sci if, and space combat. But probably not as much combat as most military sci fi books. I actually love Marvin, a little deranged robot who is always going slightly off his assigned tasks because he is just so curious.
Justin Domnitz
Dec 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I continue to enjoy Larson's Star Force series. Kyle Riggs is an entertaining and brilliant not-quite-anti-hero. The tactical and strategic battle scenarios are realistic and surprising enough to keep me wanting to read the next in the series.
Maciek
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The 5th book of Star Force series is still a great read. This time we get more info on the original plot and deal more with biotics, not just machines. There's still a big military theater of war in a star system, one-man engineering ideas, old and new aliens.
Bill
Jun 03, 2012 rated it liked it

Not the best in the series but enjoyed it never the less. Interesting that it was named Battle Station. The BS only appeared at the verged and played no real role in the story...maybe next timer?.
Ann
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I enjoy B V Larson's books. I especially enjoy the audiobooks because the sci-fi books are narrated by Mark Boyett, who is a pleasure to listen to. I like the Undying Mercenaries series more than Star Force, but they are all good reads. Entertaining, fun.
Hugh Long
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love Larson's Swarm series, and based on these, I feel he's one of the best storytellers in writing today.

Battle stations is loaded with lots of good Macro vs. Human vs. Nano battles, plus a new species!

I can't wait for the next instalment!
R
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best series out there if you like Military SF. Totally addictive read! I started reading the book around 11pm on a Saturday night and it was 4am Sunday morning before I could tear myself away from the book. I read roughly 200 pages in that one sitting.
Thomas Umstattd Jr.
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read most of these back to back. So it is hard for me to review them all individually. If you've gotten this far you will love this one and move right on to the next.
Steve Markham
Jul 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Not bothering with this series anymore. I don't really feel the characters have developed enough and Sandra was starting to ruin it for me.
Will
Not quite sure why it was named Battle Station. Anyway, was as entertaining as any of the others in the series. Not the best, maybe the worst, maybe not.
kevin
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Super good

I keep reading this series and it keeps staying good. I can't wait to get the next book and read it!
Mike Coburn
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just awesome. I'm addicted.

it's great I'm always wanting more. the story is a long and great series of novels worth the time. read it and you won't be dissapointed
Xeddicus
Sep 25, 2016 rated it liked it
And look, he forgot the factories blew themselves up. Shocking!

Rest was OK.
  • Galactic Corps (Inheritance Trilogy, #2)
  • Valkyrie Burning (Hayden War Cycle,#3)
  • Pointblank (Starfist: Force Recon, #2)
  • Come and Take Them
  • By Force of Arms (Legion, #4)
  • The Rising Storm (Exodus: Empires at War, #3)
  • Bolo Strike
  • The Dog From Hell (Star Risk, #4)
  • Milor! (A Galaxy Unknown, #5)
  • The Mark of Koban (Koban #2)
  • The Voyage
  • The Clone Betrayal (Rogue Clone, #5)
  • The Hot Gate (Troy Rising, #3)
  • Choosing Names (Man-Kzin Wars, #8)
  • Galactic Convoy
Brian Larson is an American science fiction and fantasy author

Star Force (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Swarm (Star Force, #1)
  • Extinction (Star Force, #2)
  • Rebellion (Star Force, #3)
  • Conquest (Star Force, #4)
  • Army of One (Star Force, #4.5)
  • Empire (Star Force, #6)
  • Annihilation (Star Force, #7)
  • Storm Assault (Star Force, #8)
  • The Dead Sun (Star Force, #9)
  • Outcast (Star Force, #10)
“What programmer didn’t live with a deadline over his head?” 5 likes