Start by marking “I Think I'm OK” as Want to Read:
I Think I'm OK

I Think I'm OK

In 1970,at the age of eleven, Steven Kenny volunteered to leave his family and enter an institution for maladjusted children. Forty years later he has finally found the courage to give the reasons why. I Think I'm OK is an occasionally sad yet often humorous account of life in care in 1970s Yorkshire.
Published March 7th 2012 by Feedaread.com (first published February 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about I Think I'm OK, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Think I'm OK

Cheryl M-M
Jun 19, 2012 Cheryl M-M rated it it was amazing
Honest and heartfelt reflection and biography of a young boy/man deemed a troublemaker by society. I can't say what I liked more, the candid approach the author took to writing his own story, the under emphasis of heartbreaking events or the take it on the chin attitude he displayed during that time. At first I thought alright a divorce and step dad, that can't be enough for him to just start acting completely off the rails. Then he just slams the reader with it. No detailed graphic visual image ...more
Tweedledum
Chris Kenny has written a courageous and honest memoir of his troubled youth, which, as other reviewers have said , should become required reading for social workers and those who are paid to care. The book is a timely warning to parents and carers everywhere that most "young offenders" are lonely, troubled and are often running away from something they cannot properly understand or fight. If a young person does not want to go back home it should surely be obvious to all that there is a serious ...more
Jeanne
Feb 17, 2013 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful. I've never read such a funny, upbeat memoir about such a horrible childhood. I was rooting for the little thug all along. No matter how many adults betray him and how many petty crimes he commits as a juvenile, he's deep down a good guy and turns out OK.
Victoria
I chose to read this book for two reasons. The first, it is set near my hometown of Leeds in West Yorkshire. The second, it was free for kindle and had fairly good reviews. I'm so glad that I did decide to read it.
The story is if course a very sad story, a story of a "misunderstood" child, brought up in children's homes. However, the author has clearly dealt with his past issues, his demons and his anger. He tells his story, in his own words, in such a way that I was chuckling out loud on severa
Vicky Cepel
Mar 25, 2012 Vicky Cepel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book should be required reading for everyone involved in Children's Services. This very bright kid was so let down -initially by his own family but more shockingly by a succession of Professionals that were supposed to be there to protect, help and support him. All this makes it sound like a 'Misery Memoir'-which it isn't, suffused as it is with the author's great humour throughout. I suspect this has got him through it all over the years.
Mr Kenny, I want to say that what you saw in that sh
Ellen Elizabeth
Jun 09, 2012 Ellen Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the story gave an insight into care homes that i never knew about. the author is slightly older than i and therefore,i frequently made comparions to our ages throughout the book as to what my life was like at similar times. parts of his story is so sad, that any child is going through those experiences. these crimes should never be allowed to happen or swept under the carpet. im glad the author seems to have come through his life and is able to enjoy his middle age and the rest of his life.
Lisa Prince
Mar 14, 2012 Lisa Prince rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i got this book as it mentioned a place in newton aycliffe where i used t live as i was interested , instead i forgot all about it and really enjoyed how this young fellow got himself into soo much trouble yet even though he got older i still found myself thinkin of him as a child , a very brave lad with strength yet a heart of gold but was portrayed as a pain not the child who needed help and understanding
Hyacinth
Jul 08, 2012 Hyacinth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book 5 stars even though it broke my heart. If you have a true burden for the innocent...read this book. Don't just automatically assume kids are bad, 9 times out of 10 like Kenny said, it could be bad parents. What a burden for a child to carry but happy to see that he faced his giants and took back his life. Should be required reading for Sociology 101.
Ange
Mar 21, 2012 Ange rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody whom likes a true story
Shelves: true-stories
It is a true descriptive biography of a bloke that came out of a not so loving family home to a care home after care home, what he went through, the amount of times he strayed form the home and experienced life on the outside of the care homes. If you dont like true stories about real people this wont be for you, but please give it a chance.
Louise
Feb 24, 2013 Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book and the way it was written. A truely thought provoking true story about the care system in the 70's.
richwire
A good dose of humor in this childhood memoir. The author clearly doesn't want a pity party thrown in honor of his unfortunate past. By his own admission, a lot of the trouble he got into was his own doing. Having said that, he wasn't responsible for the evil abuse brought on by Derek. Kudos to the author for not protecting the guilty and using real names in the book. I'm sure you don't need the validation, but you are indeed OK.
Karen Jones
Jul 28, 2013 Karen Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a must for anyone who works with young people either in the care system or showing some kind of behaviour issues.
It has certainly reinforced my values in the job I do.
To the author:- Yes Chris I think you are OK, only wish you had received the support to see this much sooner!
Ross Perchonok
Another "misfits & outlaws" read that I am so fond of. Well, I read it and I think he's OK.
Nina
Jun 18, 2012 Nina rated it liked it
I liked the candour and colloquial telling of this bio.
Diane Corrigan
Feb 17, 2017 Diane Corrigan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually quite liked this book and the perspective that it was written from. The man had an awful unbringing, but didn't blame that for his own bad decisions in life. Any analyst would no doubt say that the things that happened to him played a part. Sobering, true story, written by what might be described as a 'thug'.
tom hammond
Mar 19, 2017 tom hammond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

Really funny and down to earth writing about his past, I was in tears about some of the situations he found himself in!
Jill Stoking
Sep 29, 2014 Jill Stoking rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book immensely. The author has a narrative style that’s easy to read and natural, he could be talking to you over a beer in the pub. His style of writing is self deprecating but he can always find the humour in the situations he finds himself in, even when those situations are often of his own making or critical indictments of a flawed system that failed this child over and over again. I learnt a lot about the child care system and attitudes of that time, though I suspect that fun ...more
Julie Haigh
Aug 19, 2013 Julie Haigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone. Fans of true stories, triumph over adversity.
Recommended to Julie by: Amazon free 100 kindle bestsellers
This is more than OK!

Another great find in the 100 free bestsellers when it was on promotion. Another example of a book you might not come across in other circumstances. It was of interest to me because all these things happened so close to where I live. And not so many years ago either. The author has a good style of 'putting it over' or putting it into words. He seems a very likeable person who's turned his life around and things are now working out for him and I'm glad. Writing this book has
Feb 28, 2015 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was, at times, a humorous account of a childhood in which the author was constantly let down by adults who should have been there for him. It highlights the terrible things that went on behind the closed doors of various children's homes - the very places that should have made it their mission to look after the children in their care. Clearly the homes mentioned here are not the only ones who have failed their children in the past. We can only hope that this pattern of neglect stops now so ...more
Anne
Given the subject matter (growing up in care in the '70s), I was expecting this to be a fairly grim read, but it isn't. Many of the events are grim, but they're related with a wry sense of humour that removes some of the sting. Some of the non-grim events had me almost crying with laughter. This was self-published, I think, and while it could probably have benefited from some editing in a couple of places, I like that the author's voice is able to shine through. This was free from Amazon, but I ...more
Jackie Parry
Oct 28, 2014 Jackie Parry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An honest, down-to-earth story; a tough life unfolds in a way that makes you feel for the young lad but you do not get bogged down with sympathy. The story moves on and you ride and highs and lows with the author. It’s a truthful account told in a natural style without blame, with good use of sad emotions that are blended with wit. The swearing fits the book, I don’t enjoy cursing in all books, but here it fits! Looking forward to more CS Kenny – I read this one in two sittings.
Fiona Stewart
Jan 25, 2017 Fiona Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a read

Love reading biographies like this, one that is very well written and precise account of a terrible life that Chris had experienced as a child. I find it unbelievable and unforgivable that those entrusted with the care and well being of a child are,as always, not often held to account. I hope Chris's story will help others that find themselves experiencing the same, that they aren't alone and that there are people they can trust and talk too.
Teresia
Nov 19, 2014 Teresia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How does an abused child survive? Sometimes he becomes angry and disobedient. The more society tries to mold him the more he feels he must be free. I hoped every time he ran he would not be caught. I so wished someone would try to find out why he had to escape. This book is so worth your time to read. You won't ever forget it.
Lynda Kelly
Feb 25, 2013 Lynda Kelly rated it did not like it
Shelves: deleted
I thought this was going to be good and I wanted to like it. I liked how the author wrote but it needs a proper edit really badly. Fourth was spelt as forth, misused apostrophes, honestly instead of honesty. Then the word I was missed out and I packed it in. It made it too hard going for me. I've no patience with so many mistakes.
Maggie
Sep 05, 2015 Maggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found myself really admiring CS Kenny. He has been through terrible things, got himself into terrible scrapes and done things that are far from legal never mind moral. However he has come through these events and managed to find happiness and contentment. He tells his story with honesty, without bitterness and with a large helping of humour. This book is well worth reading.
Linda M Vrooman
Nov 28, 2014 Linda M Vrooman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heart wrenching/warming

Reads well, naturally and believably, thus the wrenching quality, that childhood innocence can be lost and no one notices. And yes, eight year olds have a wherewithal that escapes adults. Remember that the next time you encounter a child.
Julie Dawson
May 20, 2016 Julie Dawson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Thoroughly enjoyable book very sad at times I couldn't put it down well written and honest account of his life .
peter summers
May 31, 2016 peter summers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Great book he'd me gripped from the start highly recomend this book you won't be disappointed you will like it
Kym Hausmann
Jul 08, 2015 Kym Hausmann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honest story telling

An emotional book that made me cry. Honest and open, funny in places. The author hides nothing. Well worth the read.
Betty
Betty rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2012
  • Remembering Judith
  • The Long Escape
  • The Scenic Route: Adventures in the Life of a Traveling Nurse
  • Inadmissible
  • The Line, the Itch and the Rabbit Hole
  • Kidowed
  • Natural Green Home Cleaning For Beginners:Best Innovative Eco-Friendly Cleaning Solutions for Your Home from Kitchen, to Children's Toys, and Even Your Car and Microfiber Cleaning
  • Name and Number
  • Spiritual Secrets To Weight Loss: A 50 Day Renewal of the Mind, Body, and Spirit
  • Inferno: An Inquiry Into the Willingham Fire
  • Under the SS Shadow
  • Goodnight Dear: The Unsentimental Diary Of A Bereaved Husband
  • High Times & Rough Rides of a Bipolar Addict
  • Top 30 Easy Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes for Busy Women: Set It and Forget It (First Vegetarian Recipes Cookbook for Busy Women Vol. 2)
  • Conscious Calm: Keys to Freedom From Stress and Worry