Start by marking “In the Sierra: Mountain Writings” as Want to Read:
In the Sierra: Mountain Writings

In the Sierra: Mountain Writings

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  37 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Nature writings by one of America’s greatest poets, written out of a deep experience of the Sierras.

Over the course of his life, Kenneth Rexroth wrote about the Sierra Nevada better than anyone. Progressive in terms of environmental ethics and comparable to the writings of Emerson, Thoreau, Aldo Leopard, Annie Dillard, and Gary Snyder, Rexroth’s poetry and prose described
Published April 10th 2012 by New Directions (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about In the Sierra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Sierra

Craig Werner
Jul 15, 2012 Craig Werner rated it liked it
Shelves: nature, west
I went into this anthology with a very positive attitude toward Rexroth who served as an elder for Gary Snyder and a generation of western writers committed to poetry and ecology. While I wasn't disappointed, I also wasn't blown away. As a poet, Rexroth moves from an allusion-heavy high modernist style (think Robert Graves or a less-formally obsessed Auden) to a clear-eyed nature poetry that develops alongside Snyder's. Basically an example of the student teaching the teacher. In addition to the ...more
Chris
Jul 02, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
I liked this book, in part because it brought me back to my favorite mountains....Rexroth is best when he is in his descriptive mode, not so good when he is lecturing us on politics and philosophy. Then, he comes across as pedantic. However, "Toward and Organic Philosophy" remains one of my favorite poems of all time; "Andree Rexroth" (the one that begins "The years have gone") is not too far behind.
Marty Nicholas
May 04, 2013 Marty Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Rexroth's "100 Poems..." books have been treasures for 40+ years. That we had rambled over the same passes and shared the same vistas in the Sierra came as a surprise and joy. (Albeit a melancholy one for good times past.) For those interested in the Sierra, good wilderness poetry and thoughtful meditation, read this book.
Silvia Cassano
Nov 14, 2012 Silvia Cassano rated it really liked it
This is a great compilation of poems. Robinson does a great job trying to see where Rexroth may have been in writing these poems. I also enjoyed the letters of correspondence between Rexroth and his adventure companions. I learned more about Rexroth from this book.
Lynn Cullivan
Dec 30, 2012 Lynn Cullivan rated it really liked it
Great collection of poems for anyone who has spent time in the Sierras. In my younger days, I took Leaves of Grass along on a motorcycle trip. The next time I make it up into the mountains, this one gets tossed into the pack.
Cathy
Jun 10, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it
this is a great California poet I had entirely missed. If you like Poetry at all, read him. this volume is about the Sierra but he also wrote about social change, love and sex, and was one of the fathers of the San Francisco beat generation.
Matthew Greenlee
Matthew Greenlee rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2012
Andrew Ray
Andrew Ray rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2014
Joe Imwalle
Joe Imwalle rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2014
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2015
Kurt Rhee
Kurt Rhee rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2014
Molly
Molly rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Erik Burge
Erik Burge rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2013
Steve Fernie
Steve Fernie rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2012
Kristen Sabol
Kristen Sabol rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2012
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2012
Larry
Larry rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2012
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2012
Ryan C Kiesel
Ryan C Kiesel rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2014
Vanessa Siino Haack
Vanessa Siino Haack rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2013
william riley
william riley rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Dean Marais
Dean Marais rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2014
John
John rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2016
Bruce Mccallum
Bruce Mccallum rated it liked it
May 21, 2015
Warrick
Warrick rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2017
Sean
Sean rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
May 04, 2012
Bill Washburn
Bill Washburn rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2013
Kenneth Rexroth was an American poet, translator and critical essayist. He was among the first poets in the United States to explore traditional Japanese poetic themes and forms. He is regarded as a chief figure in the San Francisco Renaissance.
More about Kenneth Rexroth...