Start by marking “An-Ya and Her Diary” as Want to Read:
An-Ya and Her Diary

An-Ya and Her Diary

What happens when all that is familiar disappears...when everything you see, taste, smell, feel, hear....is suddenly gone and lost to the other side of the world? Enter the world of An-Ya and Her Diary... 'An-Ya and Her Diary' chronicles the journey of an 11 year old adoptee from China. Written in diary format, young An-Ya reveals her emotional journey as she is catapulted ...more
Published April 21st 2012 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about An-Ya and Her Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An-Ya and Her Diary

Joseph
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A realistic and touching fictional (though believable) account of being adopted as an older child from a foreign culture. I saw many of my own adopted daughter’s experiences and reactions throughout the book. The “12-year-old’s romance with language way beyond her capability” was an unnecessary distraction in an otherwise engaging read.
Kimberly Schaaf
Oct 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2012
Review of An-Ya and Her Diary by Diane Rene Christian
Reviewed by Kimberly Schaaf (YATR Review Panel)

I was intrigued by the description of this book. It actually made me think of my boss at work and her two adopted daughters from China. So, when asked to read for a review, I gladly said yes.

I really love the idea behind the story. Looking at the life of a newly adopted 11 year old girl (who turns 12 during the story...) was interesting. I never really thought about how hard of an adjustment that
Laura Dennis
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adoption
While An-Ya and Her Diary is a work of fiction, this touching story of a young international adoptee's journey to find her place in her new family will give much needed insight into the adoptee perspective.

The emotions and experiences that author Diane Rene Christian captures--solely within the construct of the diary of a young international adoptee--are wide-ranging, simple yet deep. An-Ya is a girl on the cusp of teenagehood, an orphaned child with a talent for languagues, a person who had a d
Camilla
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
((Freebie on Amazon/Kindle))

Honestly, I don’t know why I liked this as much as I did..

It’s literally 220 diary entries from a 12 year old Chinese girl, who was adopted by an American couple. It’s her thoughts about her time in China, and its about her feelings of being lost, and found, and first love, and all these other things 12 year olds think about..

Again.. I honestly, have no idea why I liked this as much as I did. Maybe it was the diary entries, because I am a sucker for epistolary books?
Raina
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am a thirteen year old and I loved An-Ya. The book was a very engaging and a fast, but a well paced read. An-Ya and all the characters in the story were well developed and their stories, feelings and personalities were all easy to relate to. There aren't many fiction books out there that are written about adoptees like me. The good and the bad sides. I think this book is a good read for teens and adults. Whether they've been through a part of adoption or are just looking for a great book. An-Y ...more
Pinkwiggy
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! more importantly, my internationally adopted tween daughter loved it! She insisted I read it out loud to her at bedtime, and we haven't had bedtime stories in years. An-ya's narrative balances her new family, her memories of China, and coming-of-age issues in a beautiful and heart-centric way. There is a dirth of adoption stories for tween readers, so I have to recommend this book for thatreason am ne; but even if there was plenty to choose from, I would still give this one a double th ...more
Isabel
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of the best books read this year. An-Ya starts as a very distant character. The story is hard to get into, but slowly she opens up. She shares more and more. I cried so much and cheered when she started to accept her adoptive family. It is written as entries into the blank diary her mother left her when An-Ya was a baby. This brings out her jumbled emotions more and also her memories of the orphanage in China. Great story about what maturity really means. Growing, but not growing up too fast ...more
Diane Christian
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to all of the brilliant voices who contributed to the An-Ya and Her Diary: Reader and Parent Guide! Contributors Include: Stephanie Kripa Cooper-Lewter, Ph.D., L.M.S.W., poet Lee Herrick, Amanda H.L. Transue-Woolston, BSW, Jennifer Bao Yu “Precious Jade” Jue-Steuck, Susan Branco Alvarado, MA Ed, LPC and writer Matthew Salesses. Also my lovely Interview Team: Phoebe Peachment & Sabrina Orlins. A very special thank you to all of the young readers who contributed their 'Reflections' t ...more
Michelle Kidwell
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was drawn into this book from the first page to the last, a great book for young adults, you watch An-Ya go from a young Chinese girl, who is adopted by an American couple thrust into a life unlike she has ever known, she is bitter and angry, and wants to go back to the orphanage in China, but slowly she adapts to her life in America, and even begins to care about her new family. Excellent book!!!
Jasmine Anne Victoria
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: domestic, favorites
Realy compelling it style is bit old fasioned with a mordern touch which realy works. It'a a realy well wrote storyline. It has meny plot such as An-Ya getting to love her new family, missing Abby, first cruch, falling out with friends etc. I think this should be used in schools because it eplains inportet matters while remaing intersting and people will still want to read it.
Allison Branscombe
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly researched and written, a chronicle of the challenges of an older child adoption from China. Fast paced and plain spoken, An-Ya clearly communicates her emotions in a very accessible way. Adoptive parents will learn much about the inner thoughts of adoptees in this very human story. I loved this book!
Nancy
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book with insight into the experience of an adopted 11 year old girl from China. It made me cry and laugh. As an adoptive mom, it helped me understand some of my children's behavior and reactions.
Trene1968
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
i first read this to myself over a year ago. this time, I read it aloud to the girls. such a brave, beautiful book - the author did not shy away from the sometimes dark parts of orphanage life - nor the tough parts of bonding in adoption.
Jessica
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was extremly good because it told how hard it can be to get adopted in china. the girl in this story wasn't happy with the family who adopted her at first, but when a tragity hits she realizes how much she loves her new family.
Cheryl
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won this book on a Goodreads giveaway. I enjoyed this book very much. I liked seeing the progression of An-Ya adapting to her new home and it was an easy read. The only thing I didn't like was the ending. It was a bit too abrupt.
Journeywoman
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this in one night. It was a truly brilliant book about an 11-year old who was adopted from China.
Marie
May 18, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
After reading the description of An-Ya and Her Diary I was intrigued so I entered the first-reads giveaway and to my delight I was a winner! Looking forward to reading this book.
Melissa
May 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: gr-giveaways, 2012
I won this book through a GR giveaway. It was so-so. I really didn't like the diary-like format but that is just personal preference. There was a good story line though.
Miss
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book!!!It's the best book I ever read!!!I enjoyed An-Ya and I will tresher it forever!!! I liked An-Ya because I related to her because she is adopted and Chinese too!!!

Raina
Apr 22, 2013
Jackie
May 05, 2012
Misha
rated it did not like it
May 05, 2014
Dec 29, 2018
Tiago Defendi
Aug 15, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Diane René Christian is an award winning short story writer turned
novelist. Her work has appeared in various print and electronic publications.

Diane René Christian was raised in Pennsylvania and spent her childhood years playing in the fields of Valley Forge Park. She now resides in the Pacific Northwest.

Christian's family tree has been shaped by adoption in many ways. Her paternal grandfather and
“Dear Diary,
My pen is finally touching your pages. It is time to tell our story. Our story began in China and now it continues in America. I want to write about our old life and I want to write about our life now. I will write it all down with hopes that somehow I can connect the two worlds I have lived in. Right now those worlds seem so far apart.”
4 likes
“Dear Diary,
All that she left inside the box was a blank book and a name. You are the book, and I am the name...An-Ya. As you know, my name is printed on your first page. Did She write it? What did She look like as She stood over you with Her pen? Were there tears in Her eyes? Why were you left empty inside?”
4 likes