Start by marking “Infinity and Me” as Want to Read:
Infinity and Me

Infinity and Me

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  970 Ratings  ·  224 Reviews
When I looked up, I shivered. How many stars were in the sky? A million? A billion? Maybe the number was as big as infinity. I started to feel very, very small. How could I even think about something as big as infinity?

Uma can't help feeling small when she peers up at the night sky. She begins to wonder about infinity. Is infinity a number that grows forever? Is it an endl
Published October 2012 by Carolrhoda Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Infinity and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infinity and Me

Charlotte
Oh My Goodness this is adorable!

I'm in love with the illustrations as well as the story. This really made me think back about what it was like when you begin to think about abstract concepts. I clearly remember trying so hard to wrap my mind around infinity, and the idea of forever as well. Both seemed so vast, yet as a child you want to harness it and grasp it, make it tangable so it makes sense. Kate Hosford does a wonderful job of explaining this incredibly difficult idea while making it fun
Danielle
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Brilliantly executed. A pleasure to read and ponder.

This book imaginatively toys with the concept of infinity given different characters' proclivities.
And then, there is Uma in her red shoes sussing it out for herself.

Love love love Gabi Swiatkowska's illustrations as always.
Lata
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute story about a girl musing on what infinity means, first by asking friends what they think of infinity, then realizing how the concept applies to her life. I like the squashy-flat style of the illustrations.
Andreea
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Minunată. Infinitul celor mici
Paul  Hankins
This October 2012 release from Lerner Publishing Group is absolutely gorgeous. Gabi Swiatkowska's illustrations are vivid and mesmerizing. I didn't get Gabi's style with Kimberly Willis Holt's WAITING FOR GREGORY, but the style rings true in INFINITY AND ME. Caldecott short lists will shift for sure with this release.

Kate Hosford's character is a mentor character for approaching, embracing, and thinking through new ideas. Adult characters in the book are able to address inquiry with imagination
Megan
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A truly wonderful story book. Handling a subject like infinity is hard for even the most sophisticated adults to grapple with; and handling it with grace no less. This book created a feeling in my heart of childhood wonders and warmth. Plus kick-ass illustrations, no seriously, it was kinda mind-blowing. Read to your children, (even if they're imaginary). Then go back and read it again just for you. Awesome!
Maria
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book to get children familiar with abstract notions such as "infinity". All the situations can spark very interesting discussions.
Jim Erekson
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I wonder if this shouldn't be its own genre. Ever since Ruth Krauss did A Hole is to Dig, it seems like the book based on child interviews is a 'thing'. This could be called a concept book, but it's really more of an inquiry book. The main effort of the character is to learn more.

Gabi Swiatowska's illustrations make this book what it is. It's got a somewhat dark tone to it, because of the overall palette she chooses, which is unusual and interesting. Her figures seem like close studies of Dusan
Lu Benke
Okay, here's one of those books that really should be considered nonfiction. There is a very simple, unobtrusive narrative, but the book is much more about explaining the concept of infinity in several different ways. Yet, I would not put it in the 500's with the math or space books, but perhaps in the 400's because of its multiple ways of defining a concept. I'm also not sure that a child under third grade would easily conceptualize the examples given, nor the thoughts in the author's note at t ...more
Laura Salas
I was excited to see this book, since I have the bare beginnings of an infinity-related picture book manuscript in a drawer. I can’t get anywhere with it! So I was eager to see how Hosford worked with it.

This is a lovely picture book in which a little girl, Uma, looks for a definition of infinity. It’s a combination of metaphors (like music that goes in a circle) and momentous questions (“But if there’s no school before recess, and no school after recess, is it really recess anymore?”). It’s a c
Marjorie Ingall
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-6-10
The art slayed me. Old-fashioned but hip and not in an irksome Etsy-illustrator show-off way. As a child I was fascinated by the concept of infinity, and Maxie is at the "what is the highest number anyone could count to" developmental stage -- I think this book could hit a lot the sweet spot for a lot of readers. I also like that it's soothing rather than terrifying (ENDLESSNESS could be very scary to a kid, I suspect) without making infinity too cozy; vastness is not cuddly. The book swings bea ...more
Jenny
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun exploration of ways to consider or visualize infinity...as the infinity symbol turned into a race track with a race car driven around and around, or as a family that started with great, great...grandparents and continues to grandparents, parents, children, grandchildren and on and on. Or infinity is the number of stars in the sky.

Includes an author's note that briefly explains the importance of infinity and several children's comments about infinity as well as a challenge to find your own
Robin
What an unusual book! A little girl wonders about infinity. It's a big concept, but her thoughts and those of family, teachers, and friends who she asks about it do ring true (the author writes about asking k-2nd graders their thoughts, and it shows.) Hosford makes the subject approachable for young kids -- Uma is as concerned with someone noticing her new red shoes as she is with her questions about infinity. Includes the infinity symbol (a napping 8), thinking of infinity when looking at the s ...more
Karen A.
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just the right amount of philosophical inquiry. Beautiful illustrations nicely compliment the concepts. The illustrations also give the book a lovely atmosphere that has a perfect mix of childhood whimsy with accents of darker grown up ideas. I love that the author is able to demonstrate in a very meaningful way that the big scary universe is less scary when you are with someone you care about.
Melissa
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
A big-picture book that stays rooted in one particular voice & character. Quirky, beautiful illustrations are a good match for representing the process of imaginative thinking.

NYT Best Illustrated 2012
Megan Francis
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Magnificent illustrations aside, it's nice to read a smart book with such a pensive and lovable main character. This is one of the best children's books I have read in a long time. It will be a classic in my home.
Molly
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book--the best picture book I've seen lately. The pictures are beautiful and richly imagined and the story recreates a young child's meditation on a complicated concept, which brings me back to my own young wonderings on the subject.
Alyson
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Great combinations that really work in this book:

* Nice story and consideration of a math/philosophical question
* Pondering infinity and new red shoes at the same time
* Well written and beautifully illustrated
Florence Turnour
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This beautifully illustrated book features an inquisitive little girl pondering infinity. We should all explore math in the ways Uma does, thinking to ourselves and talking with others. #LetsDoMath
Edward Sullivan
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A young girl tries to understand and imagine the infinite in this stunning, lushly illustrated story.
Kara
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In third grade I had a doll who had her own little doll. I remember imagining that little doll also had a doll, which had a doll, which had a doll, and so on. I would ponder a similar cascade when seeing people in a TV show watching TV. I'm sure I noted these thoughts to adults in my life but no one pointed out that what I was contemplating was the mathematical concept of infinity. If this picture book had existed then, perhaps I would have made the connection!
In "Infinity and Me" Kate Hosford p
Alenka
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a very whimsical story about an eight-year-old girl who ponders the concept of infinity. She asks many people in her life how they think of it, and comes across several definitions that all try to grasp the idea of endlessness. I liked that this was a mystery with no answer; it could be a catalyst for making children more interested in math - which is usually thought of as a subject which yields easy, static answers - or could help children begin thinking about how they can break complic ...more
Viviane Elbee
My kids LOVE math and big numbers, so they loved this book. One of them told me he had wanted to write this book, and was so glad it existed!

It does a great job explaining infinity using many different examples.

It could definitely be used in classrooms to help children visualize infinity.

Intertwined with the infinity question is a sweet story about the girl's relationships with others and her love for her grandmother... so the storyline appeals both to the heart and the mind.

This book seems to b
Lindsey
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A very cool book. Uma wonders about the meaning of infinity while looking at the stars, which is an experience I can identify with, and do every time I teach about space. As she explores other people’s thoughts about infinity she learns the many different ways children and adults may explain such a complex idea.
The illustrations are done in a very unique style that perfectly complements and fits the text. I love that her contemplation of such a huge idea comes back to her excitement over her ne
Stephanie Watson
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: worth-math
As a girl goes about her day, she asks the people around them what infinity means to them. The plot line feels stilted and unrelateable, but the ideas of different ways people view infinity are nice. I particularly like the tie-in to her family tree, and the idea that some things are special because they don't last forever (like recess) and other things are special because they do (like love). The illustrative style is not really my preference, but that's a personal thing - they are well done.
Peacegal
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting concept for a children's book, with unique, gently surreal illustrations.

Although, I will say that I was more than a little weirded out by the inclusion of a chicken who happily bounds and scampers throughout the pages, including being cradled by the child like a pet, and then at the end of the book the little girl eats a chicken dish for dinner. The hen friend isn't seen after that remark.
Jessie
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This is about ways different people think about infinity or different ways we can think about infinity. Uma, the main character, asks lots of people how they think about infinity, and then she considers different ways herself before finding one that she likes best.

We start thinking about infinity early on, and it comes up in a lot of contexts and can mean lots of things. This could be good for sparking, continuing, or structuring a conversation about that with kids.
Chris
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, math
Infinity has always been a tough concept for me to wrap my mind around. In this book, a little girl inquires of different people what they think of when they think of infinity. The illustrations are really interesting and different. I'm planning to use this book as the perfect introduction to a quick program for kids that's an inquiry about infinity.
Kate
This really isn't a book about math, but about how overwhelming the notion of infinity is. Even that description makes it sound math-y. The illustrations are interesting. They remind me of Trader Joe's Fearless Flier. I would recommend the book for its illustrations, but there's not much of a narrative here.
Erika
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
"But I did realize something. It was hard talk about infinity without talking about "forever."

Really great story that only makes me wish more kids were this inquisitive. I think this is a great way to introduce kids to complex ideas and how imagining them in a multitude of ways can be daunting, fun, and very illuminating.
  • Charley's First Night
  • Chloe and the Lion
  • Oh, No!
  • House Held Up by Trees
  • Nighttime Ninja
“[Infinity is] a journey around the earth on a plane that goes forever.” 2 likes