Start by marking “Evertaster (Evertaster, #1)” as Want to Read:
Evertaster (Evertaster, #1)

Read Excerpt

Evertaster

(Evertaster #1)

When eleven year-old Guster Johnsonville rejects his mother's casserole for the umpteenth time, she takes him into the city of New Orleans to find him something to eat. There, in a dark, abandoned corner of the city, they meet a dying pastry maker who tells them of a legendary recipe called the Gastronomy of Peace -- a recipe created hundreds of years ago, sought after by ...more
Published June 14th 2012 by Future House Publishing (first published May 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Evertaster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evertaster

The Selection by Kiera CassHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateIncarnate by Jodi MeadowsThe Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Best Book Covers Of All Time
1,044 books — 1,234 voters
Life of Pi by Yann MartelThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëEragon by Christopher Paolini
What To Read Next
11,643 books — 20,301 voters

More lists with this book...

Adam Sidwell
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well guys. I wrote this book so I'm not too qualified to say that it's awesome, because I guess I would've written another one if I didn't think so. Hope you enjoy! Come get it on AMAZON.
Ben
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Well, it's not often I find a book I don't want to put down, but Evertaster had me trying to find a break at work where I could fit in a chapter or two. The story is well paced and consistently had me wondering, "What's next?"

The story begins with a young Guster Johnsonville and his peculiar taste buds. A seemingly routine task to find Guster something to eat, that doesn't make him think his mother is trying to starve him to death, turns into a globetrotting quest to find the ultimate taste...an
Stephanie
Oct 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book has received so many rave reviews--I wanted to like it, but I just didn't. A very few positives: it's clean and not too violent or scary, it has a couple of sweet moments, and the premise is unique. Unfortunately, the negatives really outweighed the positives for me. It's not well written--it's predictable, the dialogue is disjointed, and the writing really shows a lack of experience. It doesn't give (even young) readers much credit--always states the obvious, not challenging at all. I ...more
Michelle
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has the adventure of Percy Jackson and the quirky mystery of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. As an adult, I couldn't put it down. I can wait to order a few copies for my nieces and nephews' birthdays! Such a fun read.
Holly
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm excited. My daughter and I are always looking for series that peak her interest. I cook professionally and she loves being my sous chef at home. What a great premise for a series!!! So excited.
Collin
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I ditched work just so I could read it - finished it in two sittings.
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I read the premise of this book, I knew I wanted to read it. An 11-year old picky eater? A desperate mom in search of something for her son to eat? The discovery of a legendary recipe that takes the Johnsonvilles on a wild adventurous journey through ancient ruins, deep jungles and forgotten caves? Yup, we were in. I read this book with my daughter and we loved it! We especially liked all the descriptions of the food and how they tasted. We were drooling and hungry every time we read it.

Gus
Bryan Murdock
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm pretty sure the author of this book is the guy who was in my History of Creativity class in college who, for his final project, built a boat out of empty milk cartons and attempted to sail it across the local lake. Remembering that, I figured this book was worth checking out. I'm not 100% positive that this was written by the same milk-carton guy, but I'm glad I read the book either way.

At first I wasn't sure about this book. The unusual food-theme, the corny, corny names like Epiglottis, an
Cayenne
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I think this is a book my nine-year-old would probably really enjoy. It's exciting and I cared about the characters. I have a few complaints, but generally the plot was engaging and had the right level of complexity. I greatly apprecited how clean it was, except for some minor violence--such as clever-throwing bad guys and gun-firing mercenaries. It was a fun mystery. The best part was the end when Guster learns to appreciate his mother's cooking because he realizes it is made with love.
Adriana
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
A little too fast paced and unbelievable in the beginning. They just seemed to accept things easily. I might have been too old for this book for me to completely enjoy it. Too bad. I expected more...

(Longer review to come)
Rachel Vincent
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's always fun when you can find a book that you want to stay up reading late at night. I kept saying to myself "one more chapter....then I'll go to bed." Make sure you have some munchies when you read it though. This book made me hungry.

Aeicha
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes reading a book- a really, really awesome book- is an experience equivalent to savoring something super yummy. Well, reading Adam Glendon Sidwell’s Evertaster was like snacking on the most delectable, homemade cupcakes...yeah, it’s that good!

Guster Johnsonville takes being a picky eater to a whole new level. Nothing makes his taste buds dance. Fed up with his fickle ways, his mother takes him to New Orleans to find something he’ll eat and they come across a dying baker who changes thei
S. Policar
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I won't even try to lie, when I first saw this book I was almost positive I was not going to like it. I had opted to review it simply because it was not something I had read before and I simply love finding new things.
While I was so sure I would hate this story, the exact opposite became the reality. Evertaster is the most outside the box story I have ever read in my life. I found myself arching an eyebrow more than once at the ingredients I found in here.
I have to wonder about Guster's very unu
L_manning
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Guster has a bit of a problem. He can't stand his mom's cooking. As much as he tries, he can't get past the small things like the quality of the ingredients and where they came from. So he just doesn't eat. One day his mom is determined to find something Guster can get down, so they are off to New Orleans. There they find a patisserie with the most amazing smells coming out. Guster goes in for pastry, but he comes out with an egg beater that bears the clues to an epic recipe. One that can offer ...more
Rebecca
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Between the super cute cover, exciting blurb, and amazing trailer I was so excited to read Evertaster. Being a mom I know all to well what it is like trying to feed picky eaters, but Evertaster by Sidwell brings the dinner time experience to a life or death situation that I gobbled up quickly.

Now let me just go ahead and say that this story is way out there. Evertaster has over the top character names, action that a stunt team would find hard to accomplish, and incredible situations and story li
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This book was written by a friend of a friend. It's a super cute adventure novel perfect for young foodies (do they exist?). I know I would've loved this as a kid.

The main character Guster is an Evertaster, he has an extremely good sense of taste (like he can tell from the taste of butter that the cows ate clover). But due to this fine sense of taste, he cannot abide anything but the best food, and is the fussiest eater. I really felt sorry for his poor mom.

A chef gives him a special eggbeater
Heidi
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I downloaded this because so many of my friends were reading it (several of them know the author) and because the cover was cool. But, considering it was a children's book by a first-time author, my expectations were low.

I'm happy to say the book more than exceeded my low expectations, and it was really quite fun. 11-year-old Guster is the world's pickiest eater. He can taste whether the potatoes were grown too far north to be really smooth, and he knows what the chickens had been eating just be
Kim McGee
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it

Guster is a kid who is slowly starving. He can't find anything that will satisfy the craving for well prepared food and it makes his mom so desperate that she loads up the car and takes Guster and his siblings to New Orleans. They find a pastry shop that produces wonderful delicacies where Guster discovers that he is an Evertaster. He is given an ancient eggbeater and told to find The One Recipe. This is the beginning of an incredible adventure for the Johnsonville family that will take them all
Alejandro OC
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My thoughts... loved it! It was great! I was not really convinced of buying this book, but thd storyline and the cover caught me. Of course I had kind of low expectations, but the first words made me become addicted to the book and then, I COULDN'T LET IT DOWN!

This is one of the most creative stories and kind of one of the best books written for children. The story is really interesting and I think that anyone would be pleased and happy to read this book. The storyline is amazing, we get to expl
Rachelle
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book aloud to my kids and we quickly found out why this novel is an Amazon Best-seller! We were laughing by the first page and gasping by the third as we followed the pickiest eater in the world (soon to be known as Evertaster) Guster Johnsonville. My kids could relate to this eleven-year-old's selective tastebuds and learned a few things about being picky and picking trouble. :)
My 9 year old especially wanted me to tell my readers that she loved this book because it had so many inte
Jarom
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing

It's The DaVinci Code for the next generation.
With all of Dan Brown's intrigue and mystery combined with Ratatouille's charm and character, this is destined to become a beautiful film franchise and spark creativity in kid and adult alike.

That's not to mention the way it changes your perspective on food!
Bethany
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I can't wait for this to be made into a movie! It is written in such a way that that's all I could think about. It seems to have been made for the big screen. I am 27, and I couldn't put it down. Much funnier than I anticipated, and it's just a great story.

One complaint: it made me so hungry! I may have gained weight reading this. Luckily it only took me about three days to get through...
David Wynn
Jun 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book was filled with grammatical and spelling errors that greatly distracted this reader from the story. But the story itself left much to be desired. An overabundant obsession with the distinct tastes of the various foods left little time for a story. And the main point of the story nearly gets drowned out by the discussion of the food.
Louise
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pretty good book, saw the author at an assembly at the elementary. He will be writing 3 more in this series. It is about a very finicky kid who tastes every single thing that he eats, like in pork, he can taste what the pig was fed. So he becomes the Evertaster.
Heather
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
A wild, rollicking, "Da Vinci Code-style" story for middle grade students. Great vocabulary, humorous character names, intricate plot and roller coaster action. A great read aloud to generate discussion on crafting stories. Can't wait for the last two titles in the series.
Madison Smith
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i thind that that book is the best book i have ever read because i could never put it down at night so i would end upfaling asleep with it in my arms.i loved it sooooooooooooo much because of all the action/mystery/adventure that happend during those 300 wonderful pages!
Matt
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So I don't write reviews all that often, but I felt like I needed to take a moment for this one. It is rare these days to find a book that is fast-paced, exciting AND appropriate for kids. Evertaster is exactly that. I can't wait to read the next book in the series!
Izzy
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
wow! So clever! It makes me really think about the blessings of our senses : touch, hearing, eyesight, smell, and TASTE.
Katie
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it

Funny, creative, and witty. Recommend for teenagers, but a fun quick read for adults too!
Jim Shortridge
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fun book, would be a great read for middle school aged kids. Like food network meets Indiana jones.
  • The Trouble With Toads (The Secret Stepsister Society, #1)
  • The Cabinet of Earths (Maya and Valko, #1)
  • Jack Templar, Monster Hunter (The Templar Chronicles, #1)
  • The Unlikely Adventures of Mabel Jones (Mabel Jones, #1)
  • The Mapmaker and the Ghost
  • The Storm Bottle
  • Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks (The Nightmare Series, #1)
  • Demon Royale (The Dream Slayer, #2)
  • Reaper's Novice (Soul Collector, #1)
  • The Land Beyond the Portal
  • Janitors (Janitors, #1)
  • Rescue Josh McGuire
  • Keeper of Reign (Reign #1)
  • Above Rubies (Rockland Ranch, #2)
  • The Path of Names
  • Under the Green Hill
  • The Warlock (Waterspell, #1)
  • The Merman and the Moon Forgotten (Nikolas and Company, #1)
In between books, Adam Glendon Sidwell uses the power of computers to make monsters, robots and zombies come to life for blockbuster movies such as Pirates of the Caribbean, King Kong, Transformers and Tron. After spending countless hours in front of a keyboard meticulously adjusting tentacles, calibrating hydraulics, and brushing monkey fur, he is delighted at the prospect of modifying his creati ...more

Evertaster (3 books)
  • The Buttersmiths' Gold (Evertaster, #2)
  • The Delicious City (Evertaster, #3)