Start by marking “Living Jesus: Doing What Jesus Says in the Sermon on the Mount” as Want to Read:
Living Jesus: Doing What Jesus Says in the Sermon on the Mount

Living Jesus: Doing What Jesus Says in the Sermon on the Mount

The Sermon on the Mount is more than great ideas by a great teacher. It is a way of life. Randy Harris invites you not just to understand these great teachings but to live them in ways you never before imagined.
Published June 13th 2012 by Leafwood Publishers (first published May 8th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Living Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Jesus

Start your review of Living Jesus: Doing What Jesus Says in the Sermon on the Mount
David Sanders
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have heard Randy Harris speak several times. He is definitely one of the great Christian thinkers of our generation. This book's thesis is how Christians would behave if they truly tried to live by the Sermon on the Mount. Excellent book. Deep thoughts. It makes you think and, more importantly, it will challenge you to examine your life.
Katherine
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
- I received this book through LibraryThing Early Reviews in exchange for an honest review -

I enjoyed this book, I did. Taking a look at the Sermon on the Mount is an idea I really like, and I love the emphasis on actually living out the teachings in this "sermon." How do these teachings apply to our life, how we are to live, how we are meant to treat others along the way? This book addresses just that. We are told on page 11 that "this book is not just a study of the Sermon on the Mount. It's
Byron Fike
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book twice this year since we were using it as the basis for our church's study of Jesus' sermon on the mount. I found it easy to read, yet challenging (in a good way) to apply. It is best read in community. Our church office staff read a chapter each week and discussed it in our staff meetings. I would then discuss the chapter again with my Sunday School class after watching the companion dvd. The material was written with a focus for such discussions and lends itself well to helpin ...more
James Hallmark
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Harris is a good writer and provides a practical approach to these well studied verses (Matthew chapters 5-7). His entire focus is on living these passages. The first two words of the title are taken literally here: living Jesus. What does it mean to actually turn the other cheek, or not judge? What does it mean to be salt and light? How do I live if I am to be this way? Harris doesn’t believe these are unachievable goals or metaphor; instead they describe an entirely different way of life. Not ...more
Michael Decamp
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent study devotional book covering the Sermon on the Mount. At first, I was concerned that it was going to present the message of the sermon in a way that felt both imperative and yet also impossible. I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised. Randy Harris broke the message down into the core message in a way that I had not previously experienced, and left me hopeful that despite the my personal failings, I could truly live it out. Things like commitment, integrity, and love ...more
Franklin Wood
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you haven't read Randy Harris, you are missing out. One sentence with quick wit and sharp humor is followed by a sentence that will have you reflecting on it the rest of the day.
This book in particular doesn't just give you an idealistic way to live, but practical steps to follow in every day life. I won't spoil it, but there are some things we will be implementing in our family life.
Pick it up and challenge yourself to live out the words of Jesus.
Robert Durough, Jr.
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Robert by: Ryan Self
We talk a lot about the “Sermon on the Mount,” but it’s not often we see people living it. This is why books like Living Jesus are important, helping us learn to put into practice some of the most difficult exhortations in the Bible. Randy Harris writes, “I’m not attempting to write a scholarly book on the Sermon on the Mount. I’m trying to provide a field manual for living the life Jesus wants for us” (12). Harris urges his readers to ignore the perspective of “Jesus raising the bar so high tha ...more
Justin Muery
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Challenging and eye-opening

A unique intertwining of biblical study and practical application. I want to do my best to live out Jesus' teachings after every chapter and at the conclusion.
Brent Soderstrum
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a big Randy Harris fan. In this book he covers in 12 chapters Jesus most famous speech-the Sermon on the Mount. I have read the words many times but Randy made me look at it differently. He also encourages you to live out what Jesus was conveying to us. Hence the title of the book-Living Jesus. At the end of each chapter is a suggestion of how you can live out what is brought out in each chapter.

My men's Bible study group covered it in six weeks. We used the DVD that goes along with the boo
Meagan
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I am leading a Bible study on the Sermon on the Mount, using the Life Guides curriculum. This book is a great supplement to that material. I appreciate that this book is thought-provoking and challenging while including additional questions, yet it does not feel really heavy or as if it's trying to be a commentary.

This would be a great resource for someone who wants to do an independent study of the Sermon on the Mount or who needs supplemental material for leading a Bible study.
Darrin Niday
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, living, study
I thought it was a good study on the sermon on the mount, I liked that he started at the end for the first chapter, pretty basic, but great for newer Christians. Randy is very sound in his belief and I look forward to reading more of his books.
Mike
Oct 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Loved his previous books, but this one was lacking. Judging - everyone does it? Please. That doesn't make it right. Weak. There IS good stuff in the book, but overall it's lacking a focus on love, which Jesus was all about. Very disappointed in this book, especially after reading his others.
Linda
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, first-reads
I received a copy of this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

The author explains, "So I'm not attempting to write a scholastic book on the Sermon on the Mount. I'm trying to provide a field manual for living the life Jesus wants for us."
Matthew
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great little book. We used it as a small group discussion guide (with the DVD) for a small group meet up in my home. It helped with discussion and got us into the Sermon on the Mount in a productive way.
Bledar
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading the book and it was even better when I heard Randy present the book's summary live at Harding Lectureship 2013.
S
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very good read, walks you through the Matthew and the Sermon on the Mount. Geared more toward's men, but applies to women just as easily. Encourages action and deeds over words.
Daryl Miller
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book. It looked at the overall principles of the Sermon on the Mount and gave very practical ideas for implementing it.
Roger
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful exposition on the Sermon on the Mount with a bent toward really living it out.
Benjamin Yam
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Back to "sermon on the mount" basics. Good for new Christians in understanding the mind of God.
Doug
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very simple, teachable and applicable review of the sermon on the mount. Randy understands the spirit of Christ's teaching well. It is not deep reading but is certainly worth reviewing.
Bill Buckingham
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great read. Don't miss the material at the back of the book. Provides some practical suggestions for living Jesus. Now the real challenge begins!
Teresa Perrey
Feb 22, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Regretting You
  • How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
  • The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure
  • The Spirit of the Disciplines : Understanding How God Changes Lives
  • To Live Is Christ to Die Is Gain
  • iGods: How Technology Shapes Our Spiritual and Social Lives
  • The Joy of Mathematics: Discovering Mathematics All Around You
  • Mao: The Unknown Story
  • Deer Hunting with Jesus: Dispatches from America's Class War
  • Not Off Limits
  • View From the Top: An Inside Look at How People in Power See and Shape the World
  • To Change the World: The Irony, Tragedy, and Possibility of Christianity in the Late Modern World
  • The Principle of the Path: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • Side-By-Side French and English Grammar
  • Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God
  • Ayesha at Last
  • The Fight of Your Life: Manning Up to the Challenge of Sexual Integrity

News & Interviews

“One of my favorite Christian authors, Sheldon Vanauken, a friend of C. S. Lewis, said years ago that when you get a new car you should also get a hammer. Take that hammer and go out and put the first dent in the brand new car yourself. Then you’re not afraid to use it anymore. That way you don’t have to park at the end of the parking lot to protect from door dings, because you’ve already put the first dent in it yourself. Vanauken’s point was this: things are not to be loved, they’re to be used. The corollary to that is this: people are not to be used, they’re to be loved.” 0 likes