Start by marking “Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius Novels, #2)” as Want to Read:
Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius Novels, #2)

Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius Novels #2)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  1,325 Ratings  ·  154 Reviews
Intrigue! Subterfuge! Circus Folk!

In a time when the Industrial Revolution has escalated into all-out warfare, mad science rules the world... with mixed success.

With the help of Krosp, Emperor of All Cats, Agatha has escaped from the massive airship known as Castle Wulfenbach. After crashing their escape dirigible, Agatha and Krosp fall in with Master Payne's Circus of Adv
Published April 3rd 2012 by Night Shade Books (first published March 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess

Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book and it's prequel are kinda unique in my experience. I don't know if I've ever read a novelization of a comic before.

What's more, I'm actually listening to the audiobook before reading the paper copy.

That said, I'm very much enjoying it. The novel actually brings to light things that aren't mentioned in the comic, giving more bacground and history about the world. Giving more hints to the many mysteries that are part of why I love girl Genius.

***Dave Hill
Jun 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serious Girl Genius fans, or for lovers of steampunk fantasy who wouldn't think of reading a comic.
Shelves: text
Wow. Do I feel conflicted about this book.

On the one hand, "Girl Genius" is one of my favorite webcomics, and Phil Foglio one of my favorite artists. I have various editions, soft- and hard-cover of the comic collections, etc. And this novel (covering vol. 4-6 of the comic) covers the story very, very well, complete with lots of added backstory, and loads of footnotes, and, for that matter, inner monologues (as well as the maniacal outer ones). Indeed, having quickly gone back and read vol. 4, I
Sam Reader
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It is here, with great reluctance, and a full awareness of how a chronicler should report a story without being the story itself, that one of your professors enters the narrative. Surely the tedious whys and wherefores of how he came to find himself in this particular prison at this particular time have no significant relevance to the greater story and shall thus be ignored."
- Professor Philip Foglio

So, to get the basics out of the way, Agatha H. and the Clockwork Princess is the second novel
Kat  Hooper
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
The novelisation of volumes 4-6 in the Girl Genius webcomic series, in which Agatha, having been revealed as the long-lost heir to the (in)famous Heterodyne family, is on the run from Baron Wulfenbach and takes refuge with a travelling circus. Slower-moving than the first novel, Agatha H and the Airship City, and without quite the same tight focus, this is nevertheless a very enjoyable book, with all the delightful wit and magic you expect from the Foglios. The authors use the much greater lengt ...more
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha has escaped the clutches of Baron Wulfenbach, although staying free might prove to be a bit more troublesome. Thanks to a circus that performs Heterodyne plays, though, she's found a good place to hide. Circus life suits her more than she expected, but her ultimate goal remains Mechanicsburg, former home of the Heterodyne family. She isn't sure what waits for her there, but plenty of forces are eager to stop her from finding out . . .

Really, the Mad Science is the best reason to read thes
Cedar Sanderson
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Foglios have taken their brilliant webcomic and successfully translated it to a rollicking-good-fun novel. Three of them, and more coming. Agatha, the young Spark who discovers her true identity in the first novel, appears in the Clockwork Princess as a damsel on the run, but not distressed in the slightest. When she falls in with a traveling circus, she loses herself in her work, repairing the elderly machinery they use for transport and other tasks. Along the way she bonds with the strang ...more
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always like when I get a book and it's nice and thick. There was a lot going on in this book, especially at the end with the double-crosses, fake double-crosses, triple-crosses, what-have-you that it was kind of hard to figure out what was going on, and who was on what side.

As I read I couldn't help but think that the plot and main characters would really shine, and make for a really good story, if the background clutter was cleaned up and didn't overwhelm them.

High points: Krosp, Emperor of A
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The second novelisation of the Girl Genius webcomic, this is equally as entertaining as the first. While they naturally follow the same plot as the webcomic, the novels bring more character insights, along with added details and backstory. Great fun, and a highly enjoyable read. If you like your steampunk (or gaslamp fantasy, if you prefer) with lots of adventure, strange creatures and mad science, then this is for you. And there's a circus, too!
I'm a fan of the Girl Genius comics and I have to say that I like the novelizations better. It has the same humor as the comics (so if you don't like those you won't like these) but in the novel format the story has a chance to breathe a bit.

Andy Graetz
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series! I keep guessing what's going to happen and I'm always delightfully wrong!

I really enjoyed the plot of this story. Travelling with a circus is the perfect way to travel under cover. She acts a bit weird?? Well that's because she's part of a circus! The characters in the circus was fun and interesting. I liked Zeetha and Agatha's relationship. There was a mutual respect between the to.

I think my favorite part was taking tropes and turning them on their head. When Zeetha and Agatha were training, Agatha listened to her Kole (aka Zeetha) when she said she wasn't re
Anniken Haga
The second book in the Girl Genius Novelization ''series''.

These books are inspired by the Girl Genius webcomic, and is rather close to the story as well.
I've read the webcomic a few times, and therefor I knew what was going to happen in this book.
That may be why I didn't like it as much as I liked the first book.

The writing is still rather good, fast paced and flowing in this book, although there were a few places where I reacted on the ''telling'' way it was written, like notes.
This ruined
The 2nd, much longer, installment in the Girl Genius comic novelization... this is one of them series where the 2nd book introduces a ton of new characters instead of reusing many from the first book... but I enjoyed so many of these characters, so all is good...

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite steampunk series... the only problem is how few books there are...
Blue Rose
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A small bit of heartache happened, and was got over. And people losing limbs and dying, but not in a terrible way, more like a we-saw-this-coming-so-we-can't-really-be-sad-about-it kind of way. I really can't wait for the next installment. This just might have the requisite qualities for a modern day epic. ;)
Christopher Dodds
From start to finish I loved this book and was caught up a lot in the story and its characters from the first book and loved the little additions at the bottom of the page going further behind the plot of the story, this was a real page turner that was hard to put down and can't wait for more in this series.
Deckard Ra
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have I said that you must buy this book? I was wrong. You must put a copy of this series in every library on this planet instead. Trust me, it is that good. A very fascinating universe awaits those who dare plunder this peculiar fantasy. The format of the book is slightly different from the first volume with the addition of hilarious background information in the footnotes.
Lula McCuela
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is an absolute pleasure to read! The characters are unique and interesting, the dialogue is witty and engaging, the plot fast-paced and exciting. Everything I could ask for with the added bonuses of steampunk creatures and mad scientists!
Eric Jackson
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
Great Reader! Great Fun !
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book!
Apr 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Story: B-
Narration: A-

Quick Review:

A fun audio although a surprisingly slow build-up to the climax and an overly large cast of characters sharing page time with Agatha made this book, while still entertaining and worth the listen, a bit of a letdown in comparison to the first audiobook in this series. The narration continues to shine, conveying the colorful and inventive world and strong, often amusing, characterizations with assurance and energy without sliding into caricature.

The Plot:

Book two
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(I had typed up a whole review of this on Goodreads, and then fatally hit the backspace key while I was apparently clicked out of the text box. Apologies if this seems disjointed; I never was very good at trying to piece back together things I’ve written from memory. There was a lot that I wanted to say about this book, but I know some of it has already slipped away, only to be remembered in a rush at 3 in the morning two months from now when it is no longer useful to me.)

I was going back and fo
Oh my. I was not expecting to enjoy this one as much as I did, but it was truly such an original and brilliant novel, that I couldn't help but be swept along with.

We enter right where the first one left off, but where as Agatha H and the Airship took half the book to really get going, this one steamed ahead from the first page. I feared for maybe a slight dip in the narrative, as it is about twice the size of it's predecessor, but it didn't. It kept up it's relentlessly enjoyable pace through-ou
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unusual-women
More reviews avalable on my blog.

I’m a big fan of the Girl Genius comic, so when I saw this in my local Oxfam, I had to pick it up.Novelisations are weird beasts. Because they add more internal thoughts and more background action to a work, they can change it in subtle ways. This is certainly the truth with Agatha H. The comic is a riotous fun thing with a great deal of colour and life. It has dark moments, but they are always lightened by the art.

Girl Genius is a lot creepier and darker in nove
What a disappointment

Note: this review is for the audiobook edition

Now, I know that the first book in this series wasn't perfect by any means. However, I found it to be an entertaining jaunt. I figured it's sequel would be much the same. Unfortunately, it seems I was completely off base with that prediction. Clockwork Princess pretty much took all of the things in the first book that I liked (The entertaining and/or interesting cast of characters, comedy, a love interest who doesn't mak
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
*Some spoilers for the first Agatha Heterodyne novel/some of the graphic novels*

Yes I am a fangirl. Let's move on, and firstly talk about the look of this lovely book. I don't mind the cover - I think it's appropriate and quite pretty - but when I was reading I took the dust jacket off and oh my, I don't think I can put it back on again. The hardcover itself is beautiful, with gorgeous gold embossing and little swirls and... it's just wonderful.

So, the story. This covers, I think, volumes 4-6 o
Audrey Jane
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this instalment the reader follows Agatha's adventures in the Wastelands with a travelling show/circus group.

I'm having so much fun with this series. The vivid writing style, the eccentric characters, the humour and lots of adventure makes me want to come back for more. I realized that one of the parts I enjoyed the most is when the Jägermonsters make their appearance. The Jägermonsters talk with, what I think, some sort of heavily German accent. It's downright hilarious. Still despite the hu
#artdamnit Reads
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now, I managed to get my hands on an advanced uncorrected copy of this (I love my job!) and jump right into it with out even realizing that there was already a history and story line and all that jazz. And to be honest I’m pretty happy about that. But more on that later.

Basic Plot: This is the story of Agatha Clay, who is actually Agatha Heterodryne, the lost daughter of Bill Heterodyne and Lucrezia Mongfish. When the Baron realizes this Agatha and Krosp, her faithful talking cat, escape for the
If you've seen the movie Hairspray there's the line of "You're joinin' this program already in progress!" And for me this truly was the case, this was the first of the books I'd read, and I'm totally unfamiliar with graphic novels.

That said, I was a little confused with things at first, like what are "Sparks" and "Constructs" and "Clanks" and "the Other" but if you read it long enough you definitely figure it out.

I totally enjoyed this book. The world building was really different then any other
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I see that this novel is a spin off from a series of 'graphic novels' (an oxymoron if there ever was one). However, this does not detract from the fact that it is a very good book of it's kind and one I thoroughly enjoyed. It is part steampunk, part fantasy. Set in a Europe which is controlled by the Pax Romanian and a Duke who inhabits an enormous airship. There was a group of, I assume, mad scientists, called 'Sparks'. The heroine, Agatha, is one such and also a 'heterodyne'. I'm not too sure ...more
  • Space Captain Smith (Chronicles of Isambard Smith #1)
  • The Doomsday Vault (Clockwork Empire #1)
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • The Horns of Ruin
  • The Constantine Affliction
  • Steampunk Prime: A Vintage Steampunk Reader
  • The Janus Affair (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #2)
  • All Men of Genius
  • Secrets of the Fire Sea (Jackelian, #4)
  • The Doctor and the Kid (Weird West Tales, #2)
  • Steampunk'd
  • The Steampunk Bible
  • Gideon Smith and the Brass Dragon (Gideon Smith, #2)
  • Morlock Night
  • The Falling Machine (The Society of Steam, #1)
  • Heart of Brass (Clockwork Agents, #1)
  • Mothstorm (Larklight, #3)
  • The Adventures of Langdon St. Ives
A popular science fiction fan artist in the 1970s, Phil Foglio began writing and drawing cartoons and comics professionally in the 1980s. His work includes Magic: The Gathering, Buck Godot, and the popular series of comics and novels, Girl Genius, co-written with his wife, Kaja Foglio.

Hugo Award for Best Fan Artist (1977 and 1978)
Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story (2009, 2010, 2011)
More about Phil Foglio...

Girl Genius Novels (3 books)
  • Agatha H and the Airship City (Girl Genius Novels, #1)
  • Agatha H. and the Voice of the Castle (Girl Genius Novels, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Reluctant Queen (The Queens of Renthia #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
“As Master Payne escorted her to the waiting coach, a small frown crossed her face. "People keep giving me rings," she confided to him, "But I think a small death ray might be more practical.” 12 likes
“Marie clasped her hands together and looked vulnerable. Payne flinched. “The only time you don’t tell me something is when you think it’s dangerous, because being a fragile, sheltered noblewoman, I might faint at the thought of experiencing physical harm like a common person.”

She sighed, and seemingly from nowhere, produced an enormous cast-iron frying pan easily one hundred centimeters in diameter. “And then,” she said sadly, “I have to damage one of the good pans by smacking it against your thick, common skull until you tell me—”