Start by marking “Sanctuary” as Want to Read:
Sanctuary

Sanctuary

(Ben Coverdale #1)

The Ben Coverdale Trilogy – Part One 'Sanctuary'.

A Story of Mystery and Romance.

When Ben receives a garbled email message, he knows that the idyllic lifestyle he had hoped for by moving to France is about to end.

Ben Coverdale has lived happily with Mary Willson for the past five years but on the fifth anniversary of their moving in together, M
Published April 24th 2012 by OBS

To ask other readers questions about Sanctuary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sanctuary

Start your review of Sanctuary
Nicolas Wilson
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
March 2014 Update: I hear there's a brandspanking new second edition in circulation now, and that some or all of my original review may not apply to the new edition, since Sanctuary has undergone some rewrites. I hope to give the new version a peek when I have the time, but that could be a while. This review is for the original edition, not the second edition.

Aside from some rough spots in the writing (Using the passive voice really excessively, the very occasional typo or erro
Dermot Davis
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can safely say that from the first to the very last page, I had no idea where the story was going, which is great testimony to the writer and the writing. As the story began and I had been introduced to all the main players, I found myself trying to second guess exactly where the suspense was going to come from and which character or characters, the plot twists were going to emanate from. As it transpired, I never would have guessed as the story initially concerned itself with what seemed like ...more
Annie Harmon
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Glyn Smith-Wild's book The Sanctuary is a soft and cozy book until you get midway.  Then the drama spills onto the pages, picking up the pace of the story almost instantly. It wasn't a shock when things suddenly unraveled for the characters, clues had been set in place so I was appropriately suspicious that this wasn't just a love story. (of couse I could have read the synopsis, but where's the adventure in that?) I've never been one for spoilers and the synopsis is there for anyone who wants to ...more
Rose Cimarron
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rose by: First Reads
[2012-07-03] Yay!! my book arrived today - with a lovely bookmark :-) I couldn't resist and so started the book when I got home. It's a lovely story, well written.

[2012-07-04] I finished this book sitting in the car after my hospital appointment! A fuller review will follow, when real life lets me, so ust to say now how much I enjoyed the story, with just a few niggles about plot holes and daft character reactions (the German Police would have contacted British Police & Interpol,
S.E. Nelson
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is one of the most well written books I have read this year. The characters were realistic and interesting. The story was unpredictable which made it fun to read. The author clearly has a lot of knowledge about the settings he writes about which he passes on to his readers. I picked up a few things in the story which may be useful in the future. Our protagonist Ben is an unlikely hero, who probably surprises himself as his story unfolds. I really loved this story, and I am looking forward t ...more
Lili
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really pleased to receive this book from the author as a first reads giveaway. I enjoyed reading this book. It is a well written love story with a twist. The story was a little slow to begin with but improved as soon as the hero moved to France. The author gives the reader a real flavour of life living in rural France. Ben is quite an endearing sort of chap who is in love with Mary, (originally his house mate and later his lover). The only downside for me was that Mary’s character did not appeal ...more
Robert Wild
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a deviation from my usual reading and a very pleasant one at that. Well written characters you can relate too, lovely descriptions of places and settings to fuel your mental images of the story. And leaves you wanting to know more, so can't wait for the next book.
Nick
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads
Brilliant book. Loved it. Lots of very interesting and different stuff in this and the mystery element fit well will the romance. Well written and highly recommended!
Jessica
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and if i'm honest I wasn't sure i'd enjoy it as it really isn't my usual genre however I was wrong. The author paints such vivid and bright pictures of all the scenery particularly in France. His love of France and the French way of life is very clear and I wanted to move to France too!

The storyline is unusual as it isn't a clear cut romance as there is a daliance into people-trafficking and kidnapping but it is primarily a romance story.

I hav
Rachel Bustin
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I won this book through the goodreads giveaways and was so happy when I won it. It arrived within a couple of days and I couldn't wait to start reading it!

A fantastic book! I can only say positive things about this read, its beautifully written, engages the reader into the lives of the characters and I cannot wait for the sequel to find out what happens to Ben and Mary! I would reccommmend this book if you have a few hours to spare because you will not want to put it down!
Becky
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a wide variety of genre's, all in one book! Romance, mystery, crime, intrigue, adventure, architecture, travel.....this book had it all. Well written but a little too much of the passive voice, would have enjoyed a little distance from that. However, I still enjoyed this book a lot and will seek out and read the second and third in this trilogy.
Elaine
Sep 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Conned! I got to the last page only to discover that I would have to buy the author's second book to find out how the story ends. The book wasn't that good so I won't be buying it. A predictable read.
Sandra
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This book has everything. Romance, suspense, travel, buying a house in a unique place and fixing it up, interesting people, action, even a little sex. You name it, it was there. The moment I might have lost interest, something new and interesting came up. Well done.
Alison
Aug 28, 2012 marked it as to-read
This looks a little too busy for me, but whatevs.
Michelle
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bought this book as I had won the sequel but felt it sensible to read this first. Pleased I did. Enjoyed the story and found the characters very real. Looking forward to beginning the sequel.
Linda
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the story, but was disappointed to see it had a sequel, which of course I have to read to find out what happens to Ben & Mary and the rest of the charactors.
Nancy
Salmaa-shiamaa
Johnny Andrews
David Brown
Aug 25, 2012
I’m a British novelist. I was born in a large army camp in Yorkshire. My father spent thirty four years of his life in the Royal Tank Regiment, and he happened to be stationed in Catterick when I made my entrance.

Most of my formative years were spent in London where I attended Emanuel School which was much too good a school, and was utterly wasted on me much to my father’s chagrin. ...more

Ben Coverdale (3 books)
  • Repercussions
  • The Reckoning (Ben Coverdale #3)