Start by marking “A Trail of Fire” as Want to Read:
A Trail of Fire

A Trail of Fire

(Outlander #7.5, 8.5)

Four extraordinary stories featuring characters from the bestselling OUTLANDER series.

In Lord John and the Plague of Zombies Lord John Grey is posted to Jamaica to assist the Governor as he faces a most unusual kind of uprising among the colony's slave population.

In The Space Between Jamie Fraser's step-daughter Joan is on her way to an abbey in Paris to become a nun -
Paperback, UK, 374 pages
Published October 11th 2012 by Orion

Sandy
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of The Outlander series. It is currently my top rated series I have ever read (with Harry Potter a very close second). Diana Gabaldon refers to the Outlander series as BEB's - Big Enormous Books - which they are. A Trail of Fire, Four Outlander Tales is a "Buldge", stories that take place between and are interwoven and connect to BEB's. Given that fans have been waiting for MOBE (MOBY) for close to 2 years now, many of us covet any stories we can get about Jamie & Claire. I r ...more
Jackleen
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Happily, A Trail of Fire arrived a week earlier than what I had been told to expect by Amazon.uk. A very welcome surprise for the weekend as I was feeling a need for a really good story in these short dark November days. A collection of 4 previously published short stories and novellas, A Trail of Fire is not yet available in Canada or the US, hence, the UK order. My husband kindly birthed the book from the cardboard packaging with extra glue placed there, I am sure, by a concerned Brit to prote ...more
Lisa Wolf
It probably goes without saying that this book is essential reading for fans of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series and related works. I really have no idea whether the stories contained in A Trail of Fire would be at all interesting for newcomers to her work -- certainly, there's some well-researched and written historical fiction here, but I have a hard time seeing it being meaningful to anyone who hasn't read her other books and isn't familiar with the characters.

That said, what a delight it is
Sally ☀️
A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows - ★★★☆☆ (2.5 rounded up).
I'm torn with this first novella in the collection. It wasn't awful but there wasn't anything really that new. There was surprise!Frank which no one asked for EVER (although I kind of get why he was included). Apart from that the only really new thing was a change at the end and I think I'd kind of guessed that before getting to that part. Most of the stuff was already included in Echo (I could have sworn before reading this that the Jer
Ferdy
Jan 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Spoilers

I only read two of the short stories - Jerry's (aka Roger's dad) and Comte/Joan/Michael's story.
Lord John has always bored me, so I didn't bother reading any of his.

Jerry's story (A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows) started of quite slow. There was a fair amount of dull monologue about the war, Jerry's planes and his training — and none of it held my attention. Thankfully, it picked up once Jerry went into the past, and I very much enjoyed reading about his confusion and realisation abou
Lisa
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you follow the Outlander series, you need to read A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows and The Space Between - two of the novellas in A Trail of Fire. If you follow the Lord John series, along with the Outlander series, you might enjoy The Custom of the Army and Lord John and the Plague of Zombies. I read and liked them all but liked the first two I mentioned best.

A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows is the story of what really happened to Roger MacKenzie's parents, Jerry and Dolly and takes place
Joana
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#The Custom of the Army

The world is chaos and death and destruction. But people like you - you don't stand for that. If there is any order in the world, any peace - it's because of you, John, and those very few like you."

I couldn't agree more with this sentence about John, his sense of honor and justice are one of the things I love about him.

There is never a boring time in John's life, after an electric eel party that ended up with a proposal of marriage, a duel and a death. So when he receiv
Emily Randolph-Epstein
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Overall, I really liked these four stories. I think I'll definitely start reading more of the John Grey books based on what I read in here.
Perfect for when you need an Outlander fix, but don't have the time, energy or wrist strength to commit to the big books.
Shelly
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lori McD
This book has it all! Four short stories by Diana Gabaldon - all wonderful in their own way. And while it might not be obvious why these stories were grouped together in one book, as you get to the new story (A SPACE BETWEEN), you can see the pieces come together... but only if you've been paying attention to the names and characters from the previous short stories and have a background with the Outlander series. (Doesn't hurt to have a background with the Lord John Grey series, either.)

BEWARE -
Heather Hyde
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Disappointed! Gabaldons BEB's ( Big Enormous Books) are my favourite series of books but her novellas leave me cold. Lord John Grey is a weak and boring character and having tried Lord John and the Private Matter, I should have know better. I don't think the short stories achieve anything. Some of the lesser known characters have by this time become so faded in memory I couldn't tie them in with what I can remember from the big books. The story lines are just plucked almost out of thin air to me ...more
Debbie
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: time-travel
This book contains four novellas from Diana Gabaldon, three of which I had read before when they were first published in anthologies. However, as the cost of buying the anthologies was quite prohibitive, I had to borrow the books from the library in order to read those stories. It is fabulous to be able to own a physical copy of them all, plus one brand new one!

The four novellas all fit within the Outlander/Lord John universe. There are two Lord John stories, a story about Roger's parents which
Chance Lee
I read three of the four stories in this book before I had to return it to the library: "A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows," "The Custom of the Army," and "Lord John and the Plague of Zombies."

"A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows" tells the tale of Roger's parents. I vaguely remembered this story from Roger's perspective. According to a footnote, that is told in Echo in the Bone, but I thought it was in the most recent book, Written in My Own Heart's Blood. The sheer mass of all these novels has l
Andrew
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A Leaf on the Wind is 4 long short stories and fills in a few gaps here and there in the Outlander saga. These sorts of linking books are good as they fill in gaps and give us a taste of Outlander whilst waiting for the next big novel to come out.

The first story is on Roger's parents and what happened to them. Although I wasn't clear on who the 2 guys at the end were and had to go Googling to find out!

The two Lord John stories were also good and I think I will have to go out and read the rest
Emily
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander world is so big and the characters so numerous that, since time isn't really an obstacle either, there are pockets of untold stories all over the place. She could write in this world for a very long time.

I had already read 3 of the 4 novellas in other collections. Both of the Lord John novellas were quite good, as well as A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows (although that title always makes me think of the movie Serenity-oh, Wash).

The Space Between was my least favorite.
Sam
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody
My hardback copy of this issue ISBN 978 1 4091 4447 2 I ordered from the UK, and, although I had only read one of the short stories, I still Love this book. What a great way to get an idea for a new book, just follow a different friend or family member, and see what they are up to? Did I say I loved it? I am so glad Diana got the copy rights back so that I could have four of her "short stories" in one place. "A leaf on the wind of all Hallows" was so good, and so was "The space Between" and Raym ...more
Erin Stevenson
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful addition to the bulge! Diana Gabaldon's detail to historical fiction and ability to wind in actual historical figures with her characters never ceases to astound me. Huzzah!
Kasia James
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-fiction
Containing four short stories which 'bulge' from the main thread of Gabaldon's disturbingly addictive Outlander series, these vibrant short stories are delightful. I think they would still make sense to someone who has not read the other novels, but for those of us who have, they give playful little hints as to how they would fill out the world Gabaldon has created.
Full of sensory details, they are a fun escape for the everyday, and prove again what a compelling writer she is.
Julie
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
These four novellas were excellent. In my opinion, the author has gotten better and better at filling in some of the side stories with really strong shorts. Each one of these was long enough to feel like it was a complete side story, instead of some of the earlier ones that felt a little rushed in the end. For Outlander followers, these are a must read.
Suzanne
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to pick this up on a recent trip to the UK as it's not out here in the US. Loved the first story about Roger's father in the Second World War. As for the rest, I really enjoyed being back in the Outlander world, even if the stories didn't include Jamie and Claire.
Amanda
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
4 short stories - Enjoyed the two that were 'bulges' from the Cross Stitch storyline - particularly the one on Roger's parents. Hate how she promotes her Lord John stories as offshoots from Cross Stitch - they are written completely differently and i don't enjoy them at all.
Larisa
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Thrilled to have the three previously released short stories from other disparate anthologies *and* the additional new story wrapping it up.

"A Leaf on All Hallow's" is even more poignant the second time.

"The Space in Between" is heart-breakingly gorgeous.
Brenda
Sep 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I like Diana Gabaldon's short stories that tie up small crevices in her "large" books. I am not that fond of the Lord John stories.
This book contains 4 short stories, 2 Outlander related and 2 Lord John related. I really liked A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows, and the Space Between.
Janice
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Boring. I don't like her character John Grey
Kathy
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Love me some bulges!! Wish a few of them would show up as full-fledged books someday ... all of the stories were worth the time to read them. This girlie is sure prolific!
Carlla
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun to read shorts from Diana regarding the Outlander series, not really about them but in between them. Involving characters you know from the books. I really enjoyed "The Space Between".
Prestoni
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just love all her books, this one was an entertaining way to fill in a couple of afternoons.
Graceann
The designation of short story is rather a misnomer here, as it is Diana Gabaldon, after all. There are four stories in Trail of Fire, a book of about 375 pages, so not quite short enough to be short stories, and not quite long enough to be novellas. At least one of these has been published previously, and these are what Gabaldon calls "bulge" stories - they fit in with characters who aren't doing anything in the novels with which they correlate, and thus can be sent on pretty much any errand.

I
Julie Bye
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m not much for short stories, as I feel they lack the length for true story and character development, but these fit within the Outlander and Lord John novels. If you’ve read the novels most of that work is already done. So, it’s like reading extra chapters of the two novel series in the Outlander world. Like the chapters of those novels some are better than others. I was expecting a lot from the zombie story and was rather disappointed, but The Space Between and the Custom of the Army are exc ...more
Tiia
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
She is a master when writing a long stories, hundreds of pages, absolutely brilliant with so many details. Unfortunately I cannot say the same with short stories. I liked that I got the chance to read more about characters that I haven't got the chance before. But my joy was as short as these stories were, they offered tiny bit of more information, but not enough and it's been cut off toi shortly and my mind is full of questions. Not exactly what I hoped for. And personally lord John character i ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Outlander Series: A Trail of Fire 29 223 Sep 17, 2016 11:57AM
The Space Between 1 5 Apr 07, 2014 08:54AM
Trite violence or well written? 3 16 Jun 05, 2013 10:50AM
Diana's new release... 7 34 Jun 05, 2013 09:48AM

• Mothers and Daughters
  • White Rose Rebel
  • Draycott Everlasting: Christmas Knight & Moonrise (Draycott Abbey #7.5 & 6)
  • Shadows on the Aegean (Time Travel, #2)
  • Warrior Reborn (Warrior, #2)
  • In Sunshine or in Shadow: Short Stories, Volume 1
  • A Dangerous Man
  • Earthly Joys & Virgin Earth
  • Deal with It! A Whole New Approach to Your Body, Brain, and Life as a gURL
  • The Mammoth Book of Scottish Romance
  • Child Development (McGraw-Hill series in psychology)
  • Jack Absolute  (Jack Absolute, #1)
  • Blue Bells of Scotland (Blue Bells Trilogy, #1)
  • Cartoon Logic
  • The Marriage of Meggotta
  • Blessed Isle
  • Infinite Reality: Avatars, Eternal Life, New Worlds, and the Dawn of the Virtual Revolution
  • Trapped (Legend, #3)
Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and is of Mexican-American and English descent. She has earned three degrees: a B.S. in Zoology, a M.S. in Marine Biology, and a Ph.D in Ecology.

She currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona .

Outlander (9 books)
  • Outlander (Outlander, #1)
  • Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2)
  • Voyager (Outlander, #3)
  • Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4)
  • The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5)
  • A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6)
  • An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7)
  • Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander, #8)
  • Go Tell The Bees That I Am Gone (Outlander, #9)