Start by marking “The Connected Company” as Want to Read:
The Connected Company

The Connected Company

The future of work is already here.

Customers are adopting disruptive technologies faster than your company can adapt. When your customers are delighted, they can amplify your message in ways that were never before possible. But when your company’s performance runs short of what you’ve promised, customers can seize control of your brand message, spreading their disappoi
Published September 18th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Connected Company, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Connected Company

Mikal
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Summary: A compelling survey and manifesto that unifies a lot of specialized concepts into one organized whole. I really hope we begin to embrace "The Connected Company" not necessarily as Dave Gray has defined and outlined them here, but as a philosophy and hypothesis for further development and exploration by leaders, academics, consultants, professionals, and individuals. The connected company is here and we need to shape it.

I preordered this on Amazon when I read Dave Gray's blog
Deborah
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Having lived my life in and through the network, Dave’s book hits a sweet spot for me. It’s layout, structure and format make it so easy to read and use – a huge plus! First, being a lover of etymology, I love Dave’s elaboration of Product as a Service Avatar on many levels. First, it’s so so true and second, the basis of the word avatar. So, second first – Avatar comes from Sanskrit. Ava means descent, coming down and Tatari means crossing over. Analogies of diving to flesh, energy to matter ar ...more
Yuval Yeret
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Great book. Lots of practical tips, useful concepts and metaphors, as well as interesting stories. This is a roadmap for managers looking to the next big thing in how to design &run companies
Really enjoyed it
Jurgen Appelo
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The new organization is a network, not a hierarchy. Great argument and well written.
BCS
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: it, management, business
Some books are great to read from start to finish, with tons of stuff to enjoy, learn or be amazed by, but perhaps not always in the same package. However, this is one those books that has it all, and it was a real delight to read from start to finish. So where do I begin?

First of all, the subject matter for The Connected Company is right at the heart of everything that organisations have to deal with these days; namely, how to adapt the culture of the enterprise to make the best use
Shane
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
The first part let me down a bit. It felt incomplete and rushed, lacking detail.

However, the remaining parts are worth it. The message resonated with me, having been in a large corporation my whole career. Learning the six-sigma methodology, which focuses on building a process that can be reliably reproduced the same output, it always bothered me that by reducing variation you're not only cutting out the processes that under perform, but your chopping of the processes that excel.

Thi
Anne
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Anyone in a service industry and in education should read this. We should be looking at our work differently. Though there are reasons for developing efficiencies we should be looking toward opportunities and benefits with connected to our customers and others.
Kristian Norling
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is THE best business book I have read this year. Simply put a great read. The book is a manual for the company of today and tomorrow. Glad I read it before starting on a journey as a entrepreneur. And I will make sure colleagues and friends read it.

Highly recommended.
André Gomes
I just love to learn about better ways to design and structure an organization.

This book offers a lot of ideias and invites you to think about new ways to organize people around a goal.

I definitely recommend the reading. It is fun and filled with lots of nice drawings.

Philippe
This book offers an interesting perspective on companies that want to thrive in dynamic environments. The basic idea underlying the book is captured in the following quote: “Connected companies learn faster - they can coevolve with partners and competitors, and they more easily adapt and respond to change. They do this by distributing control to semi-autonomous pods, supported by platforms and connected by a common purpose.” In its presentation of adaptiveness as emerging from a dynamic balance between a ...more
Geert Hofman
A good overview of how to transform your company to be more fit for the network society. The book is particularly interesting as it contains lots of examples of companies that have turned around in the right direction. There is however a primary focus on large companies which makes it perhaps somewhat less useful for SME scenarios. That's the main reason why I chose to give the book only 4 stars.
Breean Miller
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I want to highlight every word. Great insights!
Alfonso
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Good intuitions, but quite generic and fuzzy in the identification of consequences and guidelines.
Peter Auwera
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Management book of the year by @davegray > mandatory reading for any incumbent wanting to have a chance in the 21st century hyperconnected economy
Kat
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dave is excellent at making complex subjects simple to understand. I enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoy hearing Dave speak at events.
Frank Calberg
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book, these are my takeaways:

Connect through purpose
- Page 246: A company is healthy and sustainable when its primary purpose is creating value for customers.

Purpose examples: https://issuu.com/frankcalberg/docs/p...

Connect through design / architecture
- Page 4: Lowering the size of coffee machines at coffee houses can help users better connect with workers.
- Page 225: Developing shopping districts can help people connect with each other.

Connect through techno
Mbogo J
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this to supplement an earlier book on scaling and networks which I had found underwhelming. It helped a bit but just slightly.

The prior caveat shows that my reservations with the book are more personal rather than universal. If it is your first time coming across networks then the book is a good primer. Personally I found it a bit shallow on technical details and relied too much on anecdotal evidence rather than real data. Gray cherry picked examples that suited whatever point he was sel
Visalakshi Kannan
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reinforces the point quite well that for a company to succeed it has to be a part of the feedback loop, learn, reinvent and never be complacent about success. It's really is always Day 1. Personally I'm going to relook at how I can increase customer touch points and front-line interactions for my team to try and become a more "connected company".
Len Kennedy
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found the book quite compelling. A must read for every hospital administrator. Perhaps they’ll see that their preoccupation with numbers is misleading. Especially as they’re constructed on shaky coatings.
Digitising the hospital supply chain will give them accurate figures based on what caregivers actually use.
Cristen Boorman
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short chapters, with loads of examples. A great book to understand how a business can become connected to its customers by changing the way it is organised and managed.
Pavel
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very interesting view of organisational design perspectives. Recommended to all digital transformation leaders.
Bram Wijngaarden
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Felt like a list of success stories without too much depth. Didn't really connect.
Jay Oza
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received this book from O’Reilly Media to provide a book review. Note, there were no conditions attached.

The book "The Connected Company" by Dave Gray with Thomas Vander Wal provides an excellent road map for companies to become “connected.” By connected they mean can a company provide a service to a customer the way he wants it, expects it and has a satisfying experience so he keeps coming back and tells others about his good experience, or will that same customer, if he has a ba
VENKATRAMAN C K
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, management
Brilliant Book. Must read for middle level managers. Compulsive arguments for a new form of Complex Adaptive Organisation. I like the way the book is organised. Each chapter is very short 5 pages or less and complete by itself yet a critical piece of the overall assertion. I also like how the author gives examples from real world Companies who are already in such a form. Information Technology professionals, in particular, will love this book.

While everybody can leran from this book, Managers w
Jari Pirhonen
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Very clear and convincing arguments why businesses need to focus on services, listening customers and networking instead of products and profits. The author explained required steps to change from hierarchical organization to networked one. He also described possible pitfalls. Besides business, the book also gave ideas which can be applied in security leadership. Recommended reading for leaders who want their business to survive current connected, complicated and fast-paced world ...more
Carla
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, non-fiction, dutch
What can I say? This is a great book! Highly recommended for anybody interested in business, future developments, innovation. Gray gives a thorough description of what a connected company looks like, why they are needed in this era of change, how to develop a connected company. He describes many examples of companies, what went well, where it went wrong. And all very readable in short chapters (chunks of information).
I read this book in Dutch for Managementboek (who sends me books for review).<
Robson Castilho
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Great book about the future (or should be the present?!) of the companies.

A 21th century company shouldn't be seen as a hierarquical structure but as a network of pods (or cells). Command-and-control management is history and most companies are still stuck at Industrial Age.

This book presents cases of modern companies that got the message and gave autonomy to front-line people do the best they can to support their customers.

(Give one copy to your manager.)
Amy Mcsharry
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Gives a good background as to some of the benefits of being connected and instituting Holacracy. However, there are still a ton of open questions that this book doesn't address of how to get our company from where they currently are to the point of being connected. We all don't have the vision of Jack Welch, so it's hard to see what small steps can be made at every level to try to move the company in the right direction.
Davi Bauer
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I started reading this book I couldn't stop reading it. The ideas are very similar to those presented by Niels Pflaeging. The book talks about the connected company, that in other words we could refers it as a company that learn. For a company to learn it needs to be connected with his customers, but it is difficult in the traditional hierarchical way, where the decision makers are at the top side, whereas the customers touch-point are at the bottom side. This is a must read book.
Michael Dubakov
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Quite usual business book with many examples and few generalizations. On my opinion, it is not deep enough, even comparing with Reinventing Organizations. If you read many articles about modern management practices, companies on the edge, etc, you will miss nothing by skipping this book. Still, compilation is quite decent and you'll end up with something to think about. Networks, fractal structure, complexity, trust, agility — all the buzzwords.
What do you think? 1 5 Sep 01, 2012 01:31PM

• The Leader's Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century
  • Seizing the White Space: Growth and Renewal Through Business Model Innovation
  • The Impact Equation: Are You Making Things Happen or Just Making Noise?
  • Free Ride: How Digital Parasites are Destroying the Culture Business, and How the Culture Business Can Fight Back
  • Commitment
  • Pervasive Information Architecture: Designing Cross-Channel User Experiences
  • The Age of the Platform: How Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google Have Redefined Business
  • A Social Strategy: How We Profit from Social Media
  • A Fine Line: How Design Strategies Are Shaping the Future of Business
  • Beyond Budgeting: How Managers Can Break Free from the Annual Performance Trap
  • How to Change the World: Change Management 3.0
  • IT Governance: How Top Performers Manage IT Decision Rights for Superior Results
  • Practices for Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Large, Multisite, and Offshore Product Development with Large-Scale Scrum
  • The Wide Lens
  • Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects
  • Visual Teams: Graphic Tools for Commitment, Innovation, & High Performance
  • Hidden in Plain Sight: How to Create Extraordinary Products for Tomorrow's Customers
  • Hard Facts, Dangerous Half-Truths, and Total Nonsense: Profiting from Evidence-based Management
“Leaders are not good because they are right, they are good because people follow them, and people follow those who are willing to listen and learn.” 2 likes
“Customers, after all, are the one thing no business can do without. They are the key to every company’s survival.” 1 likes