Start by marking “Can This Be Christmas?” as Want to Read:
Can This Be Christmas?

Can This Be Christmas?

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  980 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
In this short hardcover, Debbie Macomber shows how a group of train travelers stranded in a New Hampshire depot on Christmas Eve find the true meaning of Christmas.

Len Dawber, a navy man stationed in Maine, is desperate to get home to Texas, where he intends to propose to his sweetheart Amy. Cathy Norris, devastated by her husband's recent death, doesn't expect to enjoy th
Published November 1st 1998 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Can This Be Christmas?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Can This Be Christmas?

Mandy
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Destiny Sanderson
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
great short story by debbie I have come to love all the characters in each and every story This one shows how people can come together at such a horrible time!
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an older novella, written in a much different style from Macomber's other works. I enjoyed this holiday story about several travelers who are stranded at a train station in a storm. All have their own personal struggles of some sort, all struggle to keep the spirit of Christmas as they deal with trying circumstances, and they all end up mutually helping each other and coming to resolutions in regards to their struggles. There is a recently widowed grandmother, a young military man ready ...more
Julie Barrett
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Can this be Christmas? A handful of people have been rerouted from a plane to a train to get from Maine to Boston. They made it as far as New Hampshire and the train no longer can go further.
Rather than telling you about all the people involved I think this book is more about how the all come together and make the celebration a good one. How they can take
just the bare essentials and make them glorious. Not only do they each step up but the community come to the rescue as well as all of them are
Richard Denney
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I work at my local library and I see Debbie's books on the shelving carts every time I shelve.
She is popular as hell and I wanted to know why her books are so great. So I picked this up from the library and devoured it in one-sitting. It was a wonderful Christmas story and the characters couldn't be more real. This is about some strangers who end up being stuck at a train depot for christmas eve and they all begin to become friends and enjoy christmas together. I loved this book and I will be p
Nicola
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-books
A little early for getting into the Christmas spirit, but that us exactly what this book has done for me. Macomber's characters took a bleak situation and were able to recognize the true meaning of Christmas within one another! Way to go -- more people need to look at things through "red and green glasses"!
Now, I'm off to do some Christmas baking!
Jennifer Morefield
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very cute Christmas story. Looking into the lives of several people who have problems in their lives unique to themselves, each reach within themselves to make the best of spending Christmas Eve in a train depot. Really cute and examines the true spirit of Christmas.
Daisy
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What a charming little story! It was a quick read (only about 90 pages) and easily finished in one sitting. I'd recommend this one to anyone looking for a cute Christmas story with a few "romantic" aspects. Lovely introduction to Debbie Macomber!
Bridgett
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ecellent!
Linda
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Debbie through this story shows the true meaning of Christmas
Nancy Rich
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A feel good read

I enjoyed this book so much. It was just the thing to get me in a Christmas frame of mind.
Diane Wallace
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great Christmas story a little over hundred pages to give you the Christmas spirit!!! I read in one evening.
William Drown
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun Xmas read.

Fun, fast read for this time of the year. First Debbie Macomber book I've read and I am sure it won't be the last.
Kristen
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book on my iPad and decided I wanted to read it. I'm glad I did. It was a great little holiday story with great characters and every chapter was a line from a Christmas Carol.
Rachael
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A short, sweet story about how a group of weary travelers find friendship and the true meaning of Christmas.
Stacy
Jun 06, 2013 added it
Read in 2006
Mermaid
Nov 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
"Come on, you guys, it's Christmas."
- Debbie Macomber, Can This Be Christmas

Another Hallmark-esq book filled with Christmas cheese-yness! Everything you would expect from this book is what this book has! It wasn't great but I received what I expected!

This was a quick story about holiday travelers set for home.
Len, a man who is at a crossroad wondering if he should make is life in the Navy a career choice. He is set to propose to his girlfriend, Amy on the most romantic night of the year Chris
Patricia
Nov 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
Cynthia
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If I had read this book at any other time of the year I think it would have been a 4 star review but it is Christmas so I am awash in Christmas sentiment. This little tale brought me to tears. Predictable, sentimental ... all the main characters learning Important Lessons About Life ... and just perfect for a Christmas read.
Lindsey Harkness
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
A short and super sweet story about a group of strangers experiencing the true meaning of Christmas. This is one of those books that should be stored with Christmas decorations and read every year. Loved it ❤ ...more
Laurajane Barber
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas, 2017
3.5
Cathy
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short book, but a goodie as a group of strangers spend Christms together in a train station, reminding all of us the importance of being kind and compassionate.
Dee Sun
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
🧀
Joy Gerbode
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great story about several travels trapped in a train station on Christmas Eve ... and how their shared disappointment leads them to find the true meaning of Christmas.
Caitlin  Woodington
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was like a hallmark film in book form. Easy, feel good read
Cheriwinkle
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bery enjoyable, quick Christmas read,
Stacy Isaac
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
At least a 3.5. Super sweet without being saccharine-sweet. Would definitely recommend to all those Hallmark Christmas movie fans.
Marilyn Miles
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story.
Shell Louise
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely, feel-good Christmas story
Karen
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Several travelers are stranded on their way home for Christmas, Will they set aside frustrations and find happiness together?
  • Christmas with Tucker (A Dog Named Christmas #0.5)
  • The Christmas Wish
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
  • The Christmas Clock
  • The Christmas Tree
  • Christmas Jars Reunion
  • The Snow Globe
  • Making Spirits Bright
  • Silhouette Christmas Stories: Home for Christmas + Let it Snow + Starbright + Under the Mistletoe
  • The Unfinished Gift
  • I'll Be Home for Christmas
  • The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog
  • A Christmas to Remember
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #3.5 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • A Regency Holiday
  • Stories for Christmas: Free heart-warming festive tasters from three bestselling authors
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
  • Tidings of Comfort & Joy: A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 1,000 weeks on the New York Time ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
  • Starter for Ten
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • Scored
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
  • How to Love
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • The Paradise Guest House
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99