Start by marking “Children of Fire” as Want to Read:
Children of Fire

Read Book

Children of Fire (Children of Fire #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  69 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
"An entire race no one has seen in hundreds of years."

Born to a people reduced to legend and superstition, Ankenar was ready to live out his life as the overlooked middle child, but when his family and race are threatened he must reach out to a world that has forgotten him.
Published April 2nd 2012 by Mary Fonvielle

To ask other readers questions about Children of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children of Fire

Leonie
Oct 19, 2014 Leonie rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book - with one proviso. I was reading, enjoying the story, had begun to invest in the characters, and then it stopped. (I was reading on a kindle and not looking at the percent count.) It was more like reading the introductory chapters to a story rather than a whole story.

The premise is good, the characters seem really interesting, and the world seems fascinating, but it's incomplete. Many books finish on cliffhangers, but this time there wasn't really enough book for it t
Penelope Bartotto
Jun 23, 2012 Penelope Bartotto rated it it was amazing
My first words are... more please!!!
I was so disappointed when I turned the page and saw the words, "to be continued".
Fonvielle has created a dynamic story line and set of characters that you cannot help but be sucked in, like the oxygen is from a fire. Children of Fire, indeed! The cast of characters reaches into your mind and takes hold of your creative soul, and then the plot sends your imagination on a wonderful journey into the unknown. You are invested into the story so fast, you might won
K.T.
Nov 02, 2014 K.T. rated it really liked it
How often do we get to pick up a book in which redheaded males are celebrated? The answer is almost never. Mary Fonvielle has created a world in which the legendary Ra’Din are feared and doubted, a race of men with orange hair who can bend fire to their will and control it. They are unique and special and someone wants to wipe them off the face of the earth.

This is a quest novel, centred on the journey of Arryn, the middle son - the royal family ‘spare’ who dedicates his life to finding his stol
Cate
Warning: read this book at your own peril. This short will draw you in hook, line and sinker and leave you frustrated at the end with the words “To be continued”.
At only 90 pages long, this short sets the groundwork for some extremely believable characters that will have you fully connecting to them by the time those dreaded words above appear on the page. This was the perfect start to a series; not too long that the reader would wonder whether they would be able to carry on the journey with the
William Stuart
Oct 19, 2014 William Stuart rated it it was amazing
I read this novella as part of the Authors’ Cave Book Club of which I am a member. This is one of the books of the month for October. I’m glad I picked this one!

Synopsis (from the author): Introduction to the Children of Fire Series

The Ra'Din are a people reduced to legend and superstition, and Arryn, the overlooked middle child of the royal family, was prepared to live his life without duty or recognition. On the day of the king's burial, events are set in motion that threaten his family and h
Jada Ryker
Feb 07, 2015 Jada Ryker rated it it was amazing
To Be Continued…

Arryn is a Fire Child. Formed from the elements, his race was created by elves to be their "servants and playthings". They found independence, and created their own city.

As a younger grandchild of the king, Arryn is content with his brother Deraen's destiny as king.

When a powerful enemy gathers her forces to conquer the kingdom, Arryn's family and his life are completely change.

Mary Fonvielle's Children of Fire sets the stage for the later works. Ms. Fonvielle introduces a wel
Darlene
Kindle ASIN B007R5TMB4

Mary Fonvielle is a great story teller. If you like the epic kind of fantasy this is your story. But this was too long in getting into the story, for me. And it doesn't meet my latest criteria of strong fem lead. I think if you are of the Lord of the Rings kind of person this might be the beginnings of a wonderful world for you.

I started it because I am trying to reach my goal of 220 books read this year and I am closing in. This appeared to be a short book, which it was, b
Emily
Mar 26, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
A wonderful mix of solid world building, characters you'd like to know (or, in some cases, would really prefer NOT to know, ever), and writing without purple prose and irritating stylistic pretensions--writing that does, in short, exactly what writing should do, which is tell a clear and unique story. A very promising debut, followed by an equally high-quality sequel. Can't wait for the third book!
Demelza Carlton
Oct 27, 2014 Demelza Carlton rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
A tantalising start to the series, setting the scene, kindling my interest...and then leaving the door wide open for an epic story. A sister held prisoner, a people who are shrouded in myth and a magical enemy whose limitations are as yet unknown...

Yes, this first book definitely ensnared me and made me want to read the rest of the series. Speaking of which...I believe that's precisely what I'll be doing next.
Robert
Sep 09, 2013 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Decent, though I did not realize it is only a teaser, or a Part one to a larger story or series. I like the mythology of the created world and the characters, though in many parts I would have enjoyed a deeper more thorough description, this could easily be developed into a fantasy epic.
C.J. Rutherford
Nov 07, 2014 C.J. Rutherford rated it it was amazing
Perfect. That's the only way I can describe this short novel. Mary is a master of description and had me one paragraph one. Her characters are believable and we'll developed. The history even in this prequel is deep and ancient. I'm so glad I discovered this, and I can't wait to read the series.
Susan
Jun 01, 2012 Susan added it
This seems to be the first few chapters of an upcoming book. It was okay, but since I haven't read the whole book, I won't give it a rating. I received this short snippet free from Good Reads.
Ashley
Jul 21, 2012 Ashley rated it it was amazing
This was a good read and there is nothing more to say, because that is enough!
Amy Brouwer
Jun 08, 2013 Amy Brouwer rated it it was amazing
Very fresh and original! Can't wait for the next one!
Rosie Amber
Sep 07, 2012 Rosie Amber rated it it was amazing
No,no,no this book can't end here!!! I want more. Got a bit confused with some of the names, but loved the book. Read it in just a few hours.
Laurie Charlick
Aug 18, 2013 Laurie Charlick rated it really liked it
excellent short story, well written.
Haley Powers
Haley Powers rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2015
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2013
Tammy morris
Tammy morris rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2016
Lily
Lily rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2013
Benjamin Finger
Benjamin Finger rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2014
Gina Lyons
Gina Lyons rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2015
Jasmine K
Jasmine K rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2013
Jennie
Jennie rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Joseph Bergelin
Joseph Bergelin rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2014
Jules
Jules rated it really liked it
May 20, 2013
Steffi Zabel
Steffi Zabel rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2012
  • The Death Trip
  • The Art of Blizzard Entertainment
  • Ultimate Star Wars
  • Time Fall
  • Exsanguinate (World of Blood, #1)
  • The Legend of Shark Island (The Book of the Delmar #1)
  • Under the Black  Ensign: A Pirate Adventure of Loot, Love and War on the Open Seas
  • Piano from a 4th Storey Window
  • Hidden in Plain Sight: The Other People in Norman Rockwell's America
  • Clementine's Shadow
  • Cathedral of Dreams
  • Trial of Intentions (The Vault of Heaven, #2)
  • Canis Major
  • Hamfist Over The Trail
  • Crossings (The Harry Reese Mysteries, #2)
  • Poisoned Waters
A lover of books since she was very young, Mary has always had a passion for reading and writing. She graduated from Appalachian State University in 2012 with a degree in Creative Writing, and self published her first short novel shortly afterward.

Mary's other interests include cooking, painting, being outdoors, and playing the violin. She currently works as a freelance writer and editor, and liv
More about Mary Fonvielle...

Children of Fire (3 books)
  • Beginning Stones (Children of Fire, Book 2)
  • Eye of the Void (Children of Fire, Book 3)