Start by marking “Un type bien” as Want to Read:
Un type bien

Un type bien

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  29,010 Ratings  ·  1,429 Reviews
Timothy Carrier a l'habitude, apres le travail, de venir boire une biere dans la taverne de son ami; il aime entrainer les clients excentriques dans des conversations amusantes. Mais ce soir, l'homme bizarre assis a cote de lui au comptoir prend Tim pour quelqu'un d'autre, et lui remet une grande enveloppe.
Dix mille maintenant. Le reste quand elle sera eliminee.
L'inconn
Published March 2012 by JC Lattès (first published May 29th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Un type bien, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un type bien

Maciek
Nov 22, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy reading about psychopaths jerking off to undies
Recommended to Maciek by: Don't matter. I threw this book at him and the monster swallowed him whole.
There's so much wrong with Dean Koontz's The Good Guy that one might wonder how the universe did not implode on the day of its publication. However one might realize that books by Koontz published after this one are even worse, so the universe would have to implode several times.
Or maybe the universe doesn't give a crap about Dean Koontz's latest turd. I wonder why I have read it. Maybe because he wrote books that entertained me in the past? Or maybe because I couldn't believe how lazy, idiotic
Emma
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emma by: Dean
Another Koontz book full of flaws and more than a little silly, but damn good fun for a cold winter's day. The beginning is especially good, some tight writing and snarky wit. It doesn't quite hold for the rest of the book but it's enough to keep you page turning, even if, like me, you could do without the inevitable romance... Still, he has a talent for creating some of the coldest, most violent villains imaginable, and this one has that underlying conspiracy feel to crank it up a notch, though ...more
Ryan
Dec 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults, ya
Shelves: thinker, laugher
Keeping with the Koontz theme. I finished The Good Guy over the weekend. The cover (front and back) doesn’t tell you much. I didn’t read the inside part of the dust jacket. I just picked it up. I figured Koontz = Good read. I was right.

At this point in my Koontz reading extravaganza I’ve made a few generalizations about his books. Someone or something will have special powers. Meaning, if the lead character doesn’t have special powers, then that character has a pet (usually a dog) that does. Or
Obsidian
Bah.

Bah I say.

I decided to read some Koontz to get into a Halloween type of mood. Why do I do this to myself?

Besides having a ridiculous premise (dude thinks guy at bar is hired hitman) and guy the so called Good Guy decides to do what it takes to stop a woman he does t know from getting killed. The development of the good guy and woman is woefully inadequate. Koontz spends most of the book giving us the hitman's world view and it sucks. One chapter was enough. But nope we keep going back to hi
Eric_W
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Timothy Carrier is minding his own business in a bar, when he is approached by another man and offered a packet containing $10,000 to kill someone. Soon thereafter, another man, the real killer enters and mistakes Tim for the client. Tim tries to buy off the killer with half of the money only to discover the hitman is a cop. He contacts the victim, an unusual lady, and the cat-and-mouse games begin.

Nothing supernatural in this book which is great because when I read anything with supernatural s
Carol Mcdonald
Jun 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Timothy Carrier, having a beer after work at his friend’s tavern. But the jittery man who sits next to him tonight has mistaken Tim for someone very different—and passes to him a manila envelope full of cash.

“Ten thousand now. You get the rest when she’s gone.”

The stranger walks out, leaving a photo of the pretty woman marked for death, and her address. But things are about to get worse. In minutes another stranger sits next to Tim. This one is a cold-blooded killer who believes Tim is the man w
Lisa
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a writer, Koontz is improving. I found that this novel had very little rambling about his characters and scenes. His development of characters was amazing. I found that even though I despised the evil character, Krait, I was just as attached to him as I was the main characters, Tim and Linda.

This novel had a very interesting and scary plot. What made this Novel so intensely frightening was that it was a plausible situation. It is a plot that could very well be happening or could happen to any
Steven
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Dean Koontz has a distinctive style in the thriller genre, and I have always liked it. I haven’t read a book by him in a while, and realized that it’s been long enough that a good half-dozen new ones are available. Of them all, this one sounded the most intriguing, so I tried it first, and I am very glad I did. This is trademark Dean Koontz — a page-turner from the very first paragraph. I could not put this book down, and read the whole thing in three days despite being on vacation and visiting ...more
Richard
The ending is the weakest. Too much tom foolery for such a focused story. But....the journey is what its all about, right? That is a pretty good thing about this book. Its a good ride. Koontz comes up with the creepiest bad guys.
Donna
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is your typical Koontz story - extremely bad guy chasing good guy(s)and in this one, the good guys don't know why they're being targeted for murder. The good guy, (hence the title), Tim, is mistaken for a hired killer in a bar and given an envelope with $10,000 and a picture of a woman whom he is supposed to kill. He then tries to save the woman, Linda, and gets caught up in the cat&mouse game. The bad guy is one of Koontz's worst, I think. He is remorseless & capable of unspeakable ...more
Jessica Degarmo
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a favorite of mine. I've read it over and over and every single time I do, I pick up another little nuance.

Dean Koontz is known for his realistic fantasy, taking ordinary people and putting them into extraordinary predicaments, usually with a touch of the supernatural for good measure. The supernatural is missing from this book, but in my opinion, it's what makes it so good. There's something so sparce and poetic about Koontz's writing, something about the way he reveals his charac
SheriC (Portable Magic)
Now I know how it is that I found this book in my Audible library, purchased in 2012, with neither any notation in my GR catalogue nor any memory of ever having listened to it. I can only conclude, after listening for an hour, that I was so bored by it that I forgot about it as soon as I listened to it the first time. So now I’m leaving a record of it, so I don’t make this mistake again in another 5 years.

DNF at 10%, after giving it a full hour.
Valerie
This is my first Koontz book and I liked it. I was kind of hoping for more suspense and there were times that I did feel anxious but not to the degree I was hoping for.

It was pretty clean for an adult novel. It gives me hope that when I'm an adult I can actually read novels that aren't too provocative. This is compared to some of the other adult books I've read. There are very slight innuendos and the bad guy pees on stuff he doesn't like which I thought was weird.

Maybe it’s because I'm not an
Roxton Malone
The first three chapters or so held so much promise, with a tighter style than I'm used to seeing from Dean Koontz and some really nifty wordplay. I could almost describe it as Koontz channeling David Mamet or Aaron Sorkin. The remainder of the narrative, however, just didn't deliver. This is your usual Koontz, but too much so. A lot of it just felt old. It might have been more interesting if the hero had been just a regular guy, and if Koontz could have kept his over-romanticizing in check.
John Brown
Dec 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So let’s say you’re in a bar and a guy shows up, mistakes you for someone he was meeting, and you play along. Just for fun. You’ll let him know his mistake sooner or later. But then he slides a manila envelope to you and says, “Half of it is there. Ten thousand. You’ll get the rest when she’s gone.”

Would you say, “Sorry, dude. I’m not your hit man”? A woman’s life is on the line.

In Dean Koontz’s The Good Guy, Tim Carrier is too astonished to react. The man leaves. Carrier opens the envelope. The
Krissy
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Typical Koontz book. Decent but extremely wordy. He can get overly descriptive and rambling at times. I'm sorry but I don't need 2 paragraphs describing a door in order to set the scene. About 70% of the time I spend reading his books I am just wishing he'd move on to the next scene already.
David Roth
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, you’re just this ordinary working stiff dropping by his favorite watering hole after a hard day laying bricks. All you want is a little down time to chill with a nice cold bottle of your favorite brew and be left alone. Seriously, is that asking too much?

It’s all Tim Carrier, a brick mason, and the son of a brick mason had in mind when he addled up to the bar on what was just another ordinary night in the ordinary life of an ordinary working stiff.
But this wasn’t going to be just another ord
Hazellie
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books-read
Well, Dean Koontz is a name that I’ve heard many times and very long ago but surprisingly, I’ve never read any of his books until now.

This book is about a man, Timothy Carrier, who is mistaken as a hit man and given ten thousand dollars and a woman’s picture to kill her. When the real killer arrives, Tim gives him the ten thousand as a no-kill fee and keeps the woman’s picture, saying that he changed his mind and didn’t want her killed.

Of course, the mistake is eventually, and too soon, discover
Mark
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one started off phenomenally well -- a chance encounter at a bar involving mistaken identities and a contract "hit" on an unknown woman.

Unfortunately, while well written and peopled with interesting characters, the novel didn't sustain the type of suspense I usually expect from Koontz. Unlike his recent "The Husband" which was a non-stop thriller ride, this one seemed to drag on. It got a bit interesting again in the final quarter of the book, but too many important details were kept away f
Jenn
Sep 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenn by: Barbara Elison
Another good one from Koontz. This is a quick, suspenseful read with good characters. My only issue with this book is that I wanted to know the motivation behind the bad guy, Krait. I know it is obviously supposed to be all about the good guy, but I wanted to understand the bad guy too. Perhaps the message is just that there is unexplained evil in the world.
Simone Pond
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion, Koontz can do no wrong. The man is one of the most solid storytellers out there. He knows how to spin an engaging and captivating tale, he's eloquent and literary without being pompous, and he creates characters that you love and hate. He's brilliant. I'd give ten stars if I could.
Kristi
Apr 10, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
, ehhh, I ask myself why do i read dean koontz. Because what I want to read is hardly ever on the library shelf and some how Koontz is.
This wasn't a terrible story, it did keep moving and i liked the characters. But i think i needed a little bit more about either the mysterious very weird killer for hire, or "the gentleman's club" that employs him. I'm a bit dense sometimes and the calling in a favor from a very important man's mama to stop the bad guys club was really lame to me. I would also
Plum-crazy
May 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
This started off very promising but for me it quickly became one of those books I found myself all too often skimming through rather than reading.

The reader is supposed to assume that Tim Carrier is just an ordinary working guy but it soon becomes clear he has hidden talents that he hasn't learnt from working on masonry....& he's a big Reacher-type guy. Coincidence? I think not...

Every good guy needs a bad guy to battle & this one comes in the form of Krait. It was continually being rei
Satara
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was darkly funny and a throughly enjoyable read. I would definitely recommend it.
Lynai
Jun 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-dean-koontz
It is no secret how much I adore Dean Koontz. My love affair with his books started when I was in college and since I am your typical dork, I frequently visited our university library which, fortunately for me, housed Dean Koontz novels. Since I began earning, I started buying my own copies of Dean Koontz’s books, from Booksale, of course, and decided that I should strive to complete my collection. I haven’t accomplished that, though, and for a reason. Quite recently, I have discovered that my t ...more
Melina
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book since... 2009 or 2010, I think. Just a random buy from my Dad because the book was cheap. BUT, once more, the younger me really couldn't read the rest of it. I'm a fantasy reader, so this isn't really what I'd read. (& that's me being honest.)

However, I did read it in segments during those few years and left 2011 to other YA novels.

I am disappointed in myself for doing that, especially now that I haven't really let myself read the books that I want to read. So, after pushi
Shelley
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Tim Carrier is a stone mason, a man who likes a peaceful life, who likes order, a man who has earned the loyalty and respect of his friends. Being mistaken for an assassin, his courage and desire to protect lead him into adventure, a cat and mouse game and a partnership with a woman who shares his qualities.

There is a message in this novel and its the seed of true horror; could there come a time when society can be controlled by a hidden agency? Is it already possible for "someone" to monitor ou
Steve Lindahl
It has been awhile since I picked up any of Dean Koontz's books. I can't remember which ones I read years ago, but I remember enjoying them. The Good Guy, however dissappointed me. It has a great premise, a man sitting alone in a bar gets mistaken first for a hit man and then for the man contracting the hit man. After that he's stuck in the middle of a planned murder and, of course, is in danger of losing his own life.

The book is filled with unbelievable scenes, even given the nature of the mach
Arlene
I finished this book late the other night. I would give it 5*. You knew from the beginning "who dun it" or actually who the bad guy was and what he was trying to do, murder the heroine, but the plot of the book was a cat and mouse game with the hero trying to keep the heroine alive - classic story, good vs. evil; hero, girl, & bad guy! Dean Koontz kept me reading trying to figure out the "why did someone want this girl dead" and how he was getting his information. And maybe the best part was ...more
Matt Ireland
May 11, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
please add the book cover from amazon 2 9 Jun 08, 2015 11:43AM
Can someone please create another edition of this book? 2 20 May 24, 2015 09:30AM
Koontzland - Dean...: The Good Guy (Group Read - September 2013) 67 100 Oct 29, 2013 01:34AM
What was the picture the killer tore down? 3 57 Oct 01, 2013 10:22AM
  • Predators
  • Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Volume 1: Prodigal Son
  • Life Is Good: Lessons in Joyful Living

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

“Given enough time, you could convince yourself that loneliness was something better, that it was solitude, the ideal condition for reflection, even a kind of freedom.

Once you were thus convinced, you were foolish to open the door and let anyone in, not all the way in. You risked the hard-won equilibrium, that tranquility that you called peace”
97 likes
“Appearances are not reality; but they often can be a convincing alternative to it. You can control appearances most of the time, but facts are what they are. When the facts are too sharp, you can craft a cheerful version of the situation and cover the facts the way that you can covered a battered old four-slice toaster with a knitted cozy featuring images of kittens.” 25 likes