Start by marking “Shattered: Broken Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
Shattered: Broken Fairy Tales

Shattered: Broken Fairy Tales

Once upon a time, stories ended happily ever after. Or did they? What if the magic mirror couldn't decide on the fairest of them all? What if Beauty's kiss didn't break the curse? What if choosing a bride based on her shoe size was a bad idea?

Shattered: Broken Fairy Tales is a collection of three short stories that take a turn into the dark forest instead of out of it.
Published April 2012 by Rabia Gale (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Shattered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shattered

Start your review of Shattered: Broken Fairy Tales
S.B. Wright
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shattered: Broken Fairy Tales is a collection of three fairy/folk tale retellings by Rabia Gale.

The difficulty in writing a retelling of a folk tale is that the core story has been pretty much told already.

The author has a few choices, they can alter the tale, invert tropes, riff off in a slightly different direction and they can alter tone and play with style and language.

As long as the reader gets something new; a perspective or a connection with the tale not previously experienced then, desp
Once
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lately we are seeing more movies geared toward re-telling the traditional fairy tales that we have grown up with. So it's no surprise that authors should want to do this as well. Rabid Gale rewrites the endings of three of the famous princess fairy tales. They are very quick and entertaining to read (the book as a whole is only 39 pages long). So quick in fact I actually read each twice just to make sure I didn't miss anything the first time.

Gales writing style for a self published author is ve
Tehani
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this absolutely blew me away. I was asked to review it by a friend (for a friend of hers), but had no idea what to expect, but THIS is what self publishing should be! Polished, entertaining, sophisticated writing - any of these stories could have come from a big-name anthology. If you've ever read Robin McKinley's fairytale reboots, or one of Terri Windling & Ellen Datlow's fairytale anthologies, you might have some idea of what to expect from this compact collection. Very impressive stuff, ...more
Barbara Abate
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My only disappointment with this exceptional book by Rabia Gale is that it eventually had to come to an end. These dark and masterfully told remakes of classic fairy tales are as absorbing as they are disturbingly delicious.

Rabia Gale's writing is rich and luxurious, the variety that inspires a reader to slowdown and reread passages for the sheer delight of re-experiencing what is nothing less than masterful writing and thoroughly captivating storytelling.

There are three retold fairy tales in th
Ryan
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gale has a clear and flowing style, through which she conveys some powerful and distressing takes on classic fairy tales. Three "what if" scenarios set the stage: what if a mirror that sought the highest standard of beauty was the basis for a government? What if Belle loved the Beast, but the curse wasn't broken? What if Cinderella was not found by her prince because another woman with the same shoe size was found first? While the ancient tales were often dark and distressing before Disney, Gale ...more
Pat
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Compulsive retelling of fairy tales, sometime shocking, always fascinating.
PChie
Aug 06, 2013 added it
I finished the sample not the whole book! Can anyone share the e-book please if you have it?
So far so good!
Shane
Apr 24, 2013
Joanne Anderton
Jan 01, 2015
Leandra Marlow
rated it did not like it
Dec 14, 2014
S Parent
Jul 17, 2013
Fernando
Sep 17, 2013
I break fairy tales and fuse fantasy and science fiction. I love to write about flawed heroes who never give up, transformation and redemption, and things from outer space. In my spare time, I read, doodle, eat chocolate, avoid housework, and homeschool my three children.

A native of Pakistan, I grew up in hot, humid Karachi. I then spent almost a decade in Northern New England where I learned to l