Start by marking “The Destroyed (Jonathan Quinn, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Destroyed (Jonathan Quinn, #5)

The Destroyed (Jonathan Quinn #5)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  1,270 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Mila Voss is dead.

That’s what the team hired to terminate her had reported, and that’s how her file had been marked.

Dead. Six years now.

So why did she suddenly show up on a hotel’s security camera in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania? Those who’d paid for her elimination are more than a little curious.

One person should know what happened—Jonathan Quinn, one of the best cleaners in t
Published March 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Destroyed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Destroyed

Gloria Feit
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my last review of a Brett Battles novel (“The Collected,” published in October of 2012, and the seventh and penultimate [so far] entry in this series), I noted that Jonathan Quinn, the protagonist whose job it is to discreetly clean up crime scenes, remove bodies and get rid of nasty, incriminating stuff like blood, and his protégé, Nate, had become colleagues, rather than mentor and apprentice. In this, the sixth Quinn book, the reader finds out how that came about.

The tale opens in Dar es S
Trev Twinem
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
The problem with this type of story is it is almost too clever and the reader can quite easily get lost even though the action is fast and non stop. Mila Voss was assasinated in 2006 or was she?...only Quinn holds the answer to this dilemma and so far he is not telling...until the unthinkable happens and Voss is identified in the present. So did the cleaner "Quinn" not carry out his mission? The story moves at a swift pace across the world's continents heading towards a conclusion which will inc ...more
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brett-battles
As an immense Brett Battles fan (and shameless advocate), I am always looking forward to Brett's next book. Whether it's the next Quinn installment or something new to try, I can always rely on a good read from Brett. The Destroyed is no different.

In the fifth installment, we find an entirely different Jonathan Quinn. Not the cleaner extraordinaire that we're used to but a man who has taken a sabbatical from his job as a cleaner, attempting to re-discover himself in Thailand after his last job;
Eric_W
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the fifth in the Jonathan Quinn series which I have more or less read in order. Not to put anyone off, but I grabbed this for a distraction while getting ready for a colonscopy. It did the trick. It was well-written and an enjoyable read with only a few plot holes or jaw-drops so common in many so-called thrillers (a misnomer, surely, I mean, we all know the narrator/good guy wins in the end, right? )

Mila Voss, good friend and erstwhile lover of Julien, to whom Quinn owes a large debt fo
Jim A
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Quinn character is evolving. He has gone into seclusion at a temple in Thailand, working with a group of monks. Nate has been dealing with Quinn's clients, posing as Quinn.

Everything is about to change. One of Quinn's earlier cleanups has been spotted, very much alive, in Tanzania. The client wants to know how that can happen. Quinn, Nate, Orlando and Daeng (a character from Battles' Little Girl Gone) are on the move to keep Mila Voss from being 'cleaned' a second time.

It's a fun ride for t
Robert Rosenthal
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Battles is very gifted at constructing clever and compelling plot lines. But they have to be supported by believable characters, and hopefully expressed in prose that at the very least does not get in the way of the read. I loved the first books in the Quinn series -- The Cleaner and The Deceived -- but I sure did not love this one. Quinn comes out of moral-crisis retirement to join Nate in finding Mila Voss, a courier who was near and dear to a friend who died helping Quinn. So the task is to f ...more
Dave Schultz
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, nook
just a great novel. Battles just gets better with every book. Johnathon Quinn series, Project Eden series, Logan Harper series. all great, all on the low cost side. The other great thing is you don't have to sit around and wait a year plus to get a new book. Brett Battles pumps out quality at a good price. If you haven't read this author I strongly recommend you do. If you look at my ratings I have only given a few books 5 stars along with this one.
Karlen
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I have really been enjoying this series. I love the characters and while it's pretty standard "spy" fare I feel like each novel is unique. When I got to the end of this one I felt like the series ended satisfactorily. I was surprised to see it continues. I'm afraid it can only go downhill but I'll probably pick up the next one anyway.
Joshua
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun read. Thanks BB.
Adrienne
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series - and the narrator!
Kim
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Seems like Nate is going to be Quinn now.
Tammy
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of Battle’s most popular characters is at it again, the intrepid and satisfyingly complicated Jonathan Quinn, cleaner extraordinaire. This is the sixth Jonathan Quinn novel, and they just keep getting better and better. The Destroyed may be my favorite of Brett’s books to date, as it combines highly entertaining and suspenseful action with truly interesting and human characters. Add a healthy dose of unexpected humor and you have a successful combination that should please just about any rea ...more
Patti Moore
As always, I love Quinn and I love Scott brick. Truly enjoying the series - very compelling reads.
Pat aka Tygyr
This Jonathon Quinn Novel I found in the "Adrenaline Rush: 7 High-Octane Thrillers" Bundle.
Jonathon Quinn is one of the best "cleaners" in the business. One of his jobs was to clean/erase a Mila Voss 6 years ago. When she shows up on hotel security footage in Tanzania, some pretty angry people want Jonathon Quinn to explain. The man currently answering to that name and doing the jobs is actually covering for Jonathon who doesn't want to be found. Who is Mila Voss? Who ordered her death 6 years a
Marti
Mar 30, 2014 rated it liked it
It turns out that Mila Voss is NOT dead, as had been supposed for several years. However, if she isn't lucky--they WILL kill her. The operation which is set up to rescue her at one point, puts a lot of others at risk, too. There are all sorts of situations where the good guys have to jump from one roof to another, or do other such dare devil feats. Toward the end of the book, three men without scruples face an uncertain future. I thought this part was the weakest.
Richard
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have had the privilege to read every Battles novel, short story, novella etc. and this is just another 5 star Jonathan Quinn novel. I may be a tad biased as I have had the pleasure to read some of the advanced copies from the publisher. If you are looking for a great series to get wrapped up in, look no further. Brett keep up the great writing and please, please keep Jonathan and Nate together for many more books......5 Stars across the board
Ubiquitousbastard
I think this one was a bit slower than the other books. The whole American vs American thing sort of lowered the stakes for me, personally. All around it just didn't jive with me as well as the previous books, which is sort of why it took me a few months to finally finish it. Oh well, it wasn't all that great for the series, but it's still better than most books of the genre, so I'll just have to stick to this series for a while longer.
Darla Stokes
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This series continues to excel and evolve. In the fifth book, Quinn is taking time away to evaluate his life in light of the events of the previous book. Nate has taken over for him, but fallout from the past compels him to interrupt Quinn's solitude.

As I've come to expect, the personal and professional threads of the story complement and enhance each other. Once again, I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
Mom
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another interesting adventure with Jonathan Quinn

I keep reading these novels because of the interesting subject matter and the charismatic characters. They keep you on the edge of your seat at all times. Every adventure makes you wonder if some of this could be true in the world live in.c.f.
Linda
Mar 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, audio-book
Jonathan Quinn is a cleaner. He takes care of people that other people with money don't want around anymore. One of his clean-ups was Mila Voss who apparently is not really dead.

The people who want Mila dead are curious as to why she is still alive and they really want her dead this time. Jonathan is the only one with the answers and he probably needs to be dead too.

Maya
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Ah, Miss Mila Voss. What a troublemaker. I wasn't as captivated by this Quinn book as the others, but the way everything was resolved was pretty interesting. Not as action-packed either though, and wasn't as much of a page turner.
Brandon Nagel
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It has been a ling time since I have picked up a Jonathan Quinn book. It was excellent and I am looking forward to the next one. Battles's writing gets better and better year after year. Highly recommended. If you have read the previous books, you will love thie entry in the series...
Ksb Nh
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
The fifth book in this series, and reading them in sequence was a good thing. If you enjoyed Lee Child's Jack reacher and ???s John Rain (can't recall the author at the moment) you will surely like Jonathan Quinn.
Stacy McKitrick
It had been awhile since I read the fourth book in this series and I waited toooooo long to read the fifth. Hard to put down. I'll be getting the sixth one shortly.

Loved the action and suspense, but love the characters more. So nice to see them again!
Jose Ramirez
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've returned to Jonathan Quinn after a bit of a Break and this was a great return. This book gives us a look back at Quinn in the past and the present with an elevation of Nate's status from apprentice to equal.
Linda
Apr 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I loved Becoming Quinn by Brett Battles...so I looked for another Battles book, and chose this one. I was disappointed, the story was not very compelling. I'm sure I will try another one, some time in the future.
James
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quinn was a fresh character when I started reading Battles. Now he feels a bit stale--as if Battles himself finds his sanctimonious tendencies as annoying as Quinn's protégé, Nate, does. But this was a good read, and a plot I sincerely hope is far-fetched, but fear is not.
Xanderharris
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not a Favorite, but...

I've come to love the Jonathan Quinn series, but this wasn't too exciting after the last book, which was a favorite of mine. The best part of this one was seeing Nate come into his own, well, almost his own. Why is he still using Quinn's name???
Al Menaster
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Pretty good, well paced spy thriller. Not at the level of the first three books in this series, but still pretty good.
Colleen
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another great installment to the Quinn series . Can be read as a stand alone but the back ground to the rich characters makes the book more enjoyable. Next on the list Becoming Quinn. .
  • Adrenaline Rush
  • Hostage Zero (Jonathan Grave, #2)
  • Kiss Her Goodbye
  • The Lost Coast
  • Order to Kill (Mitch Rapp, #15)
  • Ballistic (Gray Man, #3)
  • Came a Shadow
  • No Cure For Murder
  • 1000 Yards (John Milton #0.5)
  • Mortal Crimes: 7 Novels of Suspense
  • Implant
  • The Tombs of Eden (Eden Saga, #1)
  • Tier One Wild (Delta Force, #2)
  • Sole Intention
  • The Exile (Ryan Kealey, #4)
  • Quiller
  • Eight Ball Boogie
  • The Dig (Pike Logan #1.5)
Brett Battles is a Barry Award-winning author of over thirty novels, including Rewinder, the Jonathan Quinn series, the Logan Harper series, and the Project Eden series. He’s also the coauthor, with Robert Gregory Browne, of the Alexandra Poe series. You can learn more at his website: brettbattles.com
More about Brett Battles...

Jonathan Quinn (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Cleaner (Jonathan Quinn, #1)
  • The Deceived (Jonathan Quinn, #2)
  • Shadow of Betrayal (Jonathan Quinn, #3)
  • The Silenced (Jonathan Quinn, #4)
  • The Collected (Jonathan Quinn, #6)
  • The Enraged (Jonathan Quinn, #7)
  • The Discarded (Jonathan Quinn #8)
  • The Buried (Jonathan Quinn #9)
  • The Unleashed (Jonathan Quinn #10)
  • The Aggrieved (Jonathan Quinn, #11)