Start by marking “The Destroyed (Jonathan Quinn, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Destroyed (Jonathan Quinn, #5)

The Destroyed

(Jonathan Quinn #5)

Mila Voss is dead.

That’s what the team hired to terminate her had reported, and that’s how her file had been marked.

Dead. Six years now.

So why did she suddenly show up on a hotel’s security camera in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania? Those who’d paid for her elimination are more than a little curious.

Published March 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Destroyed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Destroyed

Start your review of The Destroyed (Jonathan Quinn, #5)
Gloria Feit
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my last review of a Brett Battles novel (“The Collected,” published in October of 2012, and the seventh and penultimate [so far] entry in this series), I noted that Jonathan Quinn, the protagonist whose job it is to discreetly clean up crime scenes, remove bodies and get rid of nasty, incriminating stuff like blood, and his protégé, Nate, had become colleagues, rather than mentor and apprentice. In this, the sixth Quinn book, the reader finds out how that came about.

The tale opens in Dar es S
Rob Twinem
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
The problem with this type of story is it is almost too clever and the reader can quite easily get lost even though the action is fast and non stop. Mila Voss was assasinated in 2006 or was she?...only Quinn holds the answer to this dilemma and so far he is not telling...until the unthinkable happens and Voss is identified in the present. So did the cleaner "Quinn" not carry out his mission? The story moves at a swift pace across the world's continents heading towards a conclusion which will inc ...more
Trish R.
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Love Jonathan Quinn!!! He’s always cleaning up someone, or killing someone, depends on the day, I guess. This was about Mila Voss, who was supposed to be killed years ago and Quinn was supposed to take care of the body, but it didn’t work out that way. She came back into the public eye and the killing came back into the forefront once again. There were so many twists and turns in this story you really had to keep track of who was doing what to whom.

It’s always such a treat reading about Quinn,
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brett-battles
As an immense Brett Battles fan (and shameless advocate), I am always looking forward to Brett's next book. Whether it's the next Quinn installment or something new to try, I can always rely on a good read from Brett. The Destroyed is no different.

In the fifth installment, we find an entirely different Jonathan Quinn. Not the cleaner extraordinaire that we're used to but a man who has taken a sabbatical from his job as a cleaner, attempting to re-discover himself in Thailand after his last job;
Eric_W
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the fifth in the Jonathan Quinn series which I have more or less read in order. Not to put anyone off, but I grabbed this for a distraction while getting ready for a colonscopy. It did the trick. It was well-written and an enjoyable read with only a few plot holes or jaw-drops so common in many so-called thrillers (a misnomer, surely, I mean, we all know the narrator/good guy wins in the end, right? )

Mila Voss, good friend and erstwhile lover of Julien, to whom Quinn owes a large debt fo
Jim A
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Quinn character is evolving. He has gone into seclusion at a temple in Thailand, working with a group of monks. Nate has been dealing with Quinn's clients, posing as Quinn.

Everything is about to change. One of Quinn's earlier cleanups has been spotted, very much alive, in Tanzania. The client wants to know how that can happen. Quinn, Nate, Orlando and Daeng (a character from Battles' Little Girl Gone) are on the move to keep Mila Voss from being 'cleaned' a second time.

It's a fun ride for t
Pierre Tassé
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Loved this book as it showed the human side of what Jonathan's job is...a cleaner of sorts.It does affect you and cause you to take an introspective rather than the communative extrospection view of society. Nothing is as simple as it sounds or as easy as it is perceived. This is mainly a book that without reading the other fabulous books in the series, would leave you wanting. ...more
Panagiotis Valsamidis
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What can I say more? I like good, "clean" cut writing and mr. Battles always delivers... ...more
Tracy T.
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book and narration by Scott Brick. (audible review)

This was a good book. I really liked it. The back and forth was interesting. I wouldn't want to listen that all the time, but in this case it was okay. Save Mila Voss!

Again, action, intrigue and great characters.

The narration is excellent. I love Scott Brick, he does such a great job on all the voice and has a very sexy voice.
Robert Rosenthal
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Battles is very gifted at constructing clever and compelling plot lines. But they have to be supported by believable characters, and hopefully expressed in prose that at the very least does not get in the way of the read. I loved the first books in the Quinn series -- The Cleaner and The Deceived -- but I sure did not love this one. Quinn comes out of moral-crisis retirement to join Nate in finding Mila Voss, a courier who was near and dear to a friend who died helping Quinn. So the task is to f ...more
Dave Schultz
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, nook
just a great novel. Battles just gets better with every book. Johnathon Quinn series, Project Eden series, Logan Harper series. all great, all on the low cost side. The other great thing is you don't have to sit around and wait a year plus to get a new book. Brett Battles pumps out quality at a good price. If you haven't read this author I strongly recommend you do. If you look at my ratings I have only given a few books 5 stars along with this one. ...more
Wenzel Roessler
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At first I was a little leery of this book, the beginning of the story has a lot of mysterious people not named trying to give a air of suspense to who was exactly who in the story. But then the book turn to a typical A+ Jonathan Quinn story. What makes this book even better is new characters that have been introduced into the plot and more emphasis on older more established characters. Well done and I'm looking forward to the next installment ...more
Sue
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-challenge
The Destroyed is another solid entry in the Jonathan Quinn series. It picks up about nine months after the events of The Silenced. Quinn is hiding in a monastery in Thailand, trying to get his head together. Orlando is in San Fransisco with her son. And Nate is working full time as a cleaner, sometimes using the name Quinn to keep his reputation and business alive.

Mila Voss is tracing down the Lion, a man involved in a prisoner transport from years ago. The problem is Mila is supposed to be dead
Joel
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
The fifth installment of the Jonathan Quinn series finds him on a sabbatical at a monastery in Thailand. He is recuperating from his last mission that threatened his family and resulted in the death of a friend. It completely shattered the world that Quinn had carefully built for himself.

However, an old completed mission comes back to haunt him. A good deed he had done to protect a friend of the man that lost his life in his efforts to protect his family has opened up a can of worms that Quinn
Indie Editor Nancy
This story was incredible! Twists and turns; told in a flashback way that at times seemed confusing but it all came together in the end. The luck and skills of these special agents, the voices; the narrator was incredible as well. French and other languages were no problem for Scott Brick.
I listen in the car and doing chores around the house and I had no trouble remembering what had happened.
The feelings and emotions and the utter frustration came through time and time again.
A book I will not so
Dan Smith
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mila Voss is dead.

Dead. Six years now.

One person should know what happened—Jonathan Quinn, one of the best cleaners in the business, the man who’d been tasked with the disposal of her body.

Only Quinn isn’t exactly easy to get ahold of these days
Anthony
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quinn has become reclusive in a remote area and is trying to recover from the pain inflicted when his true family was found and threatened during his last job. Nate has been running the business and nothing will get Quinn to return, nothing except a former job that did not go the way it was planned.

I enjoyed this adventure, but it did jump back and forth between events 10 years apart. That, or the fact that I was flying 12 hours on the busiest day of the year for airline travel, made it hard to
Warren Thoms
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
A girl that Quinn was supposed to clean up after she was killed is seen in Africa. Now the powers that be want to know why she is alive and then to have her killed for sure. The story goes back in forth between the present and past when she was supposed to die the first time. A good book in the series. If you read this one out of order you will be missing a lot of backstory. Quinn and Nate make a good team.
Karlen
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I have really been enjoying this series. I love the characters and while it's pretty standard "spy" fare I feel like each novel is unique. When I got to the end of this one I felt like the series ended satisfactorily. I was surprised to see it continues. I'm afraid it can only go downhill but I'll probably pick up the next one anyway. ...more
Alan
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another Great Read

A brilliant story once again, they just keep getting more involved and full of intrigue with the character's never ending endurance action packed all the way
Susan Wynn
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quinn Superhero

I love this series so much I bought a kindle just so I could read the entire series. Not available on my Nook. That pretty much says it all. Keep Quinn and Nate in action. Yeah!!!!!
Kim
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Seems like Nate is going to be Quinn now.
Adrienne
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series - and the narrator!
Art Sprague
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Story was constructed well, but depth of characters was missing for me to give it five stars.
Rachael
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: not-in-library
Quinn always offers a fun, adventurous romp through the underbelly of society.
Nancy
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5⭐. My favorite Quinn so far. Nate is developing nicely as a character, perhaps taking on his own apprentice next time out.
Christina Pope
I really enjoyed the new character weitten in to the team. I was also happy to see Nate leading.
Mark
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brett Battles is a terrific storyteller. Jonathan Quinn and his crew are interesting and complex. I love this series!
Abibliofob
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Got some time to get caught up on Jonathan Quinn by Brett battles. Great series.
Gary
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good. Introducing new character Daeng.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Messiahs (King & Slater #7)
  • The Nevada Job (Case Lee #7)
  • To Serve And Protect (A Tanner Novel Book 39)
  • Target Zero (Agent Zero Spy Thriller #2)
  • Past Imperfect: First book of the 2nd TAKEN! Series. (Mr. White, #1)
  • Hunting Zero (Agent Zero Spy Thriller #3)
  • Fathers: A King & Slater Thriller (The King & Slater Series Book 9)
  • Ghosts (King & Slater #5)
  • Hunters (King & Slater #8)
  • Flesh and Blood (Tanner, #35)
  • Outlaws (King & Slater #4)
  • Active Measures (Jericho Quinn #8)
  • Dying Breath (Harry Bauer Thriller #2)
  • State of Emergency (Jericho Quinn #3)
  • Stone Cross (Arliss Cutter #2)
  • Behind Enemy Lines (Titus Black Thriller #1)
  • Flash Point (Jason Trapp, #3)
  • The Amazon Job (Case Lee #4)
Brett Battles is a Barry Award-winning author of over thirty novels, including Rewinder, the Jonathan Quinn series, the Logan Harper series, and the Project Eden series. He’s also the coauthor, with Robert Gregory Browne, of the Alexandra Poe series. You can learn more at his website: brettbattles.com

Jonathan Quinn (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Cleaner (Jonathan Quinn, #1)
  • The Deceived (Jonathan Quinn, #2)
  • Shadow of Betrayal (Jonathan Quinn, #3)
  • The Silenced (Jonathan Quinn, #4)
  • The Collected (Jonathan Quinn, #6)
  • The Enraged (Jonathan Quinn, #7)
  • The Discarded (Jonathan Quinn #8)
  • The Buried (Jonathan Quinn #9)
  • The Unleashed (Jonathan Quinn #10)
  • The Aggrieved (Jonathan Quinn, #11)

News & Interviews