Start by marking “Her” as Want to Read:
Her

Her

2.88  ·  Rating details ·  597 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Elise meets Donald on a flight to Washington, D.C., where he teaches and she edits self-help books. He is dreamy: 6’6” with unflinching green eyes and a proclivity for speaking frankly. Incredibly, they fall in love, get engaged, and start discussing wedding invitations.

And then Elise meets her—Adrienne—Donald’s stunning, leggy ex-fiancée. Adrienne is newly single and plan
Published July 8th 2003 by Anchor (first published April 23rd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her

Rhonda
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book reminded me alot of myself. Though the main character Elise went overboard with her stalking of her fiances ex-girlfriend. Because she couldn't trust she almost lost everything. I could really understand Elise and it made me think.
Angela
Jan 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book was just awful. The so-called "evil" ex-girlfriend was no where near awful enough. I barely was able to register when she was trying to sabotage the main characters relationship.I would glaze past it and not realize I was supposed to be appalled by her actions. If you're going to make a character a bitch, you cant just have her be attractive and a bit of a liar. I just didn't hate her the way I was supposed to.

I had to force myself to finish this book. It crawled by at an annoyingly s
Lynanne
Jul 31, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
My one word review? Lame

I chose this book off the library shelf at random. Or semi-random - on a whim, I picked the first and last books off the shelf in the fiction section of the local library. This was the last book on the shelf that day. A very fitting place for it. I should have left it there.

It took me over 100 pages to become the slightest bit interested in the book, which is pretty sad considering the book is a little over 200 pages long. It held my attention for a whole 20 pages. Althou
Kristin Dow
May 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not impressed, a disappointing follow up to her previous book. Heroine was over-the-top insecure and obsessive. I wasn't rooting for her. Unfamiliar references are a turn off and take me out of the story. Didn't take advantage of the D.C. setting.
Amanda Morgan
What turns an ordinarily self-confident attractive woman into a suspicious, lying, sneaking stalker? For twenty-something freelance book editor Elise, it’s hearing that her fiance’s ex-fiance is moving to town and wants to be neighbors in “Her.”
To be fair, Elise’s fiance Donald mentions Adrienne, his ex-, the first time they met. He told her all about Adrienne. He was venting on a plane ride where they happened to be seatmates. Elise thought Donald was cute and overly tall at 6’ 6”, however di
Zoe Weiner
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Her by Laura Zigman is a realistic fiction involving a dramatic romance with innocent Elise and her fiance Donald. The two are happily in love, they decide to get engaged and while planning their wedding, ex fiancee of Donald, Adrienne, leaves New York to move in the same city as them. Just as plans are going smoothly, old friend Adrienne, who is absolutely stunning and well known in New York now has no friends here, she ends up spending her weeks hanging out with the two of them and their frien ...more
Milla
Dec 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
280 pages of blabla, not funny at all.
Megan Nigh
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5. I enjoyed her writing style and loved the D.C. setting. That said two MAJOR issues with this book. One is that the guy in this book is so sketchy and just....ick. Why on earth would she want to marry him? Second, she is freaking nuts. She doesn't trust her fiance at all and overall this was just a depressing trainwreck of a relationship. Would have worked better in a short story form with a different ending. As it was, it ended abruptly and unsatisfyingly.
Carol
Apr 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Her” is a fascinating little book. It’s purportedly a romantic comedy and it follows the comedic form with a)initial “happy” set-up b) problems between the lovers c) increasing problems that could lead to tragedy or a happy ending d) happy ending. I don’t think I give too much away by saying that the ending is happy. Very few romances that sell end miserably and tragically for their characters!

Within this traditional formula, Levine gives us the character of “Elise.” Are we glad that we’ve met
Allison
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Her by Laura Zigman is an interesting read. As much as I/girls try to play it cool, I think we are often overanalyzing things and being jealous over the pettiest things that don’t actually matter. So it’s refreshing to read something that tells you No, you’re not the only one who thinks this way.

It was a bit heavy on the stalking and marriage talk. I wasn’t really connected with the main character. I know it’s harder in first person to know the narrator by name, since it’s not stated every other
Alyssa Flisiak
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: womens-lit
Ugh. I read Dating Big Bird by Laura Zigman and really liked it so I was looking forward to Her, but the main character, Elise, is insufferable. When I figured out that she's 34 (I believe) I wanted to throw the book against the wall. Her insane behavior would have been more acceptable in a 23-year-old, but goddamn, woman. You are a grown adult, yet you are the whiniest, most insecure, most obnoxious MC I can recall reading. And seriously psychologically troubled.

This entire book could have been
Sarah Sammis
Aug 05, 2009 rated it liked it
I pick books to read by creative and sometimes random leaps of logic. Her by Laura Zigman had catchy cover art and a title that reminded me by association with She by H. Rider Haggard, which in turn made me think of the Rumpole series. Somewhere in the middle of all that thinking I decided what the heck, I'd check out the book.

What sets Her apart from the other chick lit books I've read is that Elise, the protagonist, is the self described other woman. She is now going head to head with her fian
Sharon
Aug 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Elise is engaged to Donald. Ever since she started dating him, she has been obsessed with/worried about Donald’s ex-girlfriend, Adrienne. Adrienne, who is physically perfect and wealthy, moves from NYC to Washington (where Donald and Elise live) and begins to insert herself into their lives. Of course, Elise volunteered to meet her at the airport, drive her around town, and help her find an apartment. [Got about halfway done, and started on another book – got sick of the whininess and needed a b ...more
Mindy
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Very amusing, and a fast read, 6 hours via Audiobook on CD mostly in my car (which held my attention enough to keep me idling in the driveway a few times). Insanely jealous Elise systematically spies on her fiancé Donald and his gorgeous, known-to-be-manipulative ex-fiancé Adrienne who are re-bonding over their shared custody of Lucy, a Portuguese Water Dog, then spirals toward an inevitable downfall. There were a few times when I identified with Elise's feelings so much that I actually felt sus ...more
Angie
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Angie by: Alicia
Her is a light and fluffy piece of Chick Lit and an incredibly fast read. I think I finished it in two relatively short sittings, something very rare for me these days. I can’t say I recommend it, though. I found the protagonist completely unlikeable. She becomes unhinged over her fiance’s ex-fiance moving nearby. The entire book is one crazy incident after another of the narrator’s downward spiral of low self-esteem, jealousy, and obsession. This may have been harder for me to read because I’m ...more
Carrie
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: rich girls who have no real problems to worry about
Shelves: spare-yourself, funny
Having loved Zigman's "Animal Husbandry" the first time through, I picked up "Her." The story centers on a woman who is in a happy relationship, but is worked up about meeting her man's ex, who she fears is better looking, more successful, more deserving of his love, etc. It was funny in parts, but the author and I apparently live in different worlds. For one thing, the main character lives in a nice neighborhood in DC (with no roommates) and supposedly makes very little money. Sorry, but I don' ...more
Cat.
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a psychotic little story of Elise and Donald, engaged and happy until his former fiance moves in a couple of blocks away (they are all New Yorkers transplanted to D.C.). She just happens to be drop-dead gorgeous, Yale-educated, and French. Elise immediately assumes that she's still after Donald and that he can't help but prefer Adrienne to plain, boring (in her eyes) Elise. She completely goes off the deep end and very nearly ruins her future with her obsessiveness. Well-crafted but you ...more
Sharon
Jun 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
Vicky
Nov 16, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2011
I didn't find the main character to be particularly likeable--the book centers around her jealousy of her fiancé's ex, and after a while I was practically rooting for the ex. I wound up skimming the second half of the book, since I couldn't quite convince myself to either finish it properly or to just abandon it. It didn't seem to get much better, unfortunately.
Anna
Oct 19, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not good. About a 30-something's fiance's ex-fiance who is absolutely perfect and sort of turns the protagonist's life into a nightmare. However, the main character is horribly insecure and snoopy from the beginning; and it is not a good example of how to be healthy in a relationship.

Would give 0 stars.

July 2014.
Angela Smith
Dec 22, 2007 rated it did not like it
I have personally experienced the overwhelming jealousy that the heroine in this book experiences, and since this was billed as "comedy" and "light-hearted", I thought it may be fun to read. But she really bothered me - she was immature, impatient, borderline delusional... basically, all the things that I did when I was in that situation. A quick, easy and light read, though forgettable.
Maurean
Nov 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Maurean by: bookring
This was a fun ride! The heroine was a bit on the neurotic side, but that's what made it so funny! I like Zigman's writing style; she has that same sarcastic wit you find in Jane Keller's books (or Judith Krantz) and she has that ring-of-truth to her outrageous storyline....thanks for the opportunity to read this one! I would read more by Zigman, if given the chance.
Shannon Arehart
Jun 09, 2008 rated it did not like it
Terrible, terrible. The characters are all completely unbelievable and, on the whole, unlikable. The main character is crazy with jealousy and her shenanigans are not enjoyable to read about. Everyone else in the book has so many quirks that none of them feel like a remotely real person and it's not even an enjoyable fantasy. Hated it, hated it.
Emily
May 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
Every single character in this book was a terrible, awful person that no one in their right mind would ever want to know, let alone befriend or marry. I liked Zigman's previous books but this one was so completely bad that I'm never going to read another one of her books. I just can't take the chance that I'll be subjected to something like that again.
CLM
Jul 30, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book was SO disturbing because anyone might be tempted to do one of the inquisitive things Elise does, trying to ascertain if her fiance really loves her or his ex. But Elise is so over the top she follows every crazy obsession and practically destroys her engagment. The reader loses sympathy even while watching her train wreck behavior in horror.
Lori
Sep 19, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chickylitty
Who hasnt been in a position to feel jealous and insecure over an ex that has suddenly resurfaced.... A little prettier, a little better well off.... a little more confident than you...

Let the catfights ensue.
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Though the inside flap plot sketch did not appeal to me I decided to give this novel a shot because I have read and enjoyed a couple of other books by Laura Zigman. Alas, an unlikable protagonist and repetitious story line combined to make slogging through this one a dreary affair indeed.
Candice
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Chicago Tribune called this "delightfully frothy," but I think for anyone who has experienced this kind of obsessive compulsive type of insecurity and jealousy, they would hardly categorize it as "fun," however the self-deprecating humor in it is great and of course, lessons learned.
Martha
Jul 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Few people - jury is still out.
Recommended to Martha by: Librarian
Shelves: chick-lit
I want to like this author, I really do. This book just ended for me. It was like there was no climax, like the author said, "oh shit, I have to be somewhere so let's just stop..." That annoyed me but I am going to give her other books a try...we shall see....
Ivannah
typical chick lit. I finished it in two days. It wasn't awe inspiring, or life-changing, but it was an alright book. I am not sure I would recommend it to anyone, but if you are looking for a fun light read. This is your book.
  • Cad: Confessions of a Toxic Bachelor
  • Going Down
  • Welcome to Higby
  • The Psycho Ex Game
  • The Rants
Laura Zigman grew up in Newton, Massachusetts, and graduated from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst and the Radcliffe Publishing Procedures Course.

She spent ten years working in New York in book publishing where she was a publicist for Times Books, Vintage Books, Turtle Bay Books, Atlantic Monthly Press, and Alfred A. Knopf.

After moving to Washington, D.C. and working briefly as a project
More about Laura Zigman...