Start by marking “Lord Edgware Dies” as Want to Read:
Lord Edgware Dies

Lord Edgware Dies

(Hercule Poirot #9)

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  24,036 ratings  ·  1,246 reviews
Poirot had been present when Jane bragged of her plan to "get rid of" her estranged husband. Now the monstrous man was dead. And yet the great Belgian detective couldn't help feeling that he was being taken for a ride. After all, how could Jane have stabbed Lord Edgware to death in his library at exactly the same time she was seen dining with friends? And what could be her ...more
Audiobook, Unabridged
Published 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (first published January 1st 1933)

·  24,036 ratings  ·  1,246 reviews

Luffy
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book devoid of genius levels of narration but with the customary gusto of Agatha Christie is still a solid entry in the Hercule Poirot series.

What enhanced the reading experience was the system of chapter allocation. Christie varies her ways of indenting her story from book to book. But this time the chapters were short, with titles of their own. I liked that.

There was no stupefying twists present but the murderer...well I don't want to spoil the fun for you. Altogether the translators keep o
Araz Goran
رواية من روايات أجاثا المحيرة، والمربكة جداً تدور بك في دوائر مغلقة كلما تمسك بخيط يقود إلى إكتشاف الجريمة يرجع بك الامر إلى نقطة الصفر ..

شخصيات كثيرة في الرواية وثلاث جرائم معقدة وغامضة ..رواية عبقرية مترابطة ومتماسكة جداً ولا أظن أن القارئ سيصل إلى القاتل سوى في الصفحة قبل الأخيرة .. إلا إذا كان من طراز هركيول بوارو..
Jeff
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: who-done-it
Take it from me, nothing is as "riveting" as Hercules Poirot hanging about letting the little grey cells percolate.

If you’re looking for the master detective to bitch slap a Duke or put the moves on some English babe or pull out a gat and plug a few holes in the snobbish butler, move on dear reader. Poirot thinks. A lot.

In this volume, he does lots and lots of contemplating and not much in the way of getting about and searching for clues. Let that pompous fool, Inspector Japp, do most of the leg
Adrian
Review to follow tomorrow, but woo hoo, was that good or what ??

(Rhetorical English question 😬)

And yes it was good, a great story, fabulous characters and a real twist at the end as Poirot solves the crime(s).
I'm reading this as part of a read "all of the Poirots" challenge, and I must admit I am thoroughly enjoying it. Some of them I have read and remember, some of them I remember from David Suchet's excellent portrayal on TV, and in some ways the best are those that I just don't know. This f
Ahmad Sharabiani
Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9), Agatha Christie
عنوانها: لرد اجور میمیرد؛ سیزده نفر سر میز شام؛ نویسنده: آگاتا کریستی؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: نوزدهم ماه سپتامبر سال 2011 میلادی
عنوان: لرد اجور میمیرد؛ نویسنده: آگاتا کریستی؛ مترجم: محمد گذرآبادی؛ تهران، هرمس، کارآگاه، 1388؛ در 282 ص، 9789643636180؛
کتاب با عنوان زیر نخست بصورت پاورقی منتشر شده
13 at Dinner, Agatha Christie
عنوان: سیزده نفر سر میز شام؛ آگاتا کریستی؛ مترجم: بهرام افراسیابی؛ تهران، نشر سخن، 1372؛ در 289 ص
هشدار: اگر داستان را هنوز
Lata
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I actually changed my mind about this book right at the end, during Poirot’s gathering people together to reveal the murderer. I found I did not like the characters involved in the case, and this is the first time I’ve found Hastings genuinely tiresome. Poirot chastising Hastings for being so simple-minded throughout the book had me wholeheartedly agreeing.
Then, Poirot put one of the suspects through the wringer because the suspect had dared to tell Poirot a series of really dumb sto
Cyndi
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, as the title says, Lord Edgeware dies. His wife tells everyone she’s going to kill him and how. But when he does get killed she has an air tight alibi, even though she was seen at the scene of the crime. It’s up to Poirot to find the true murderer. I don’t think I’ve read a Poirot book before where he says, “I was wrong!” so many times. This one stumped him for quite awhile.
Marija Simić
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sacré! It took me only 2 days to literally devour this book. I most certainly didn't saw that coming, I never could guessed who was the murderer, Agatha did good job!
Susan
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
American actress, Jane Wilkinson, Lady Edgware, approaches Poirot, asking him to help her obtain a divorce from her cold, estranged husband. However, when Poirot, and Hastings, go to see Lord Edgware, he seems to have no issue with divorcing her. It seems that Jane Wilkinson, after all, will have her freedom and then the probable becomes the definite, when Lord Edgware is found dead.

This is not my favourite Poirot novel, although it is always delightful to have Hastings and Japp both involved i
Jaya
Should stop reading these one-upon-a-time favorites...
Only 3 stars this time around, for old times sake
Piyangie
This is also cleverly executed plot by Agatha Christie.
Lord Edgware, an unpopular aristocrat, is murdered in his home. And who is the initial suspect? His wife, as she wanted to divorce him and remarry. But is she really the culprit? Isn’t there any other who would have wanted him dead, like his nephew, the next in line to the title, who is in the midst of financial crisis? Question after question rises as Christie takes us through the murder mystery where Poirot is dealing with a clever and ca
Geoffrey
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably my second favorite Agatha Christie novel, right behind "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd." It also has a special place in my heart because it was the first Agatha Christie novel that I actually read. This book made me want to actually read more Christie novels instead of merely watching the film and/or television adaptations. Generally speaking, I love "Lord Edgeware Dies" because I immensely enjoy all of the elements of the book. First, I found the story itself very engaging. Specif ...more
Veronique
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, stars-4-0
“Do you not realize, Hastings, that each and everyone of us is a complete mystery with layers. We each try to judge each other, but nine times out of ten, we are wrong.”

Quite devious, this one. Poirot is his usual self while Hastings bumbles around as clueless as ever :O) This time however the culprit nearly pulls the wool over our favourite Belgian detective... Not the best but entertaining, and rather machiavellian.
David Schaafsma
I have never until recently been a mystery reader, so I kind of have a meta-view of them, in a way. I think: what is the attraction to this kind of tightly plotted tale? Maybe it gives us comfort that seemingly intractable problems like global warming can, with a little pluck and luck and Reason and Order, get figured out in time for tea! If we are in the hands of guys like Poirot, we will be JUST FINE.

Anyway, so in this one the problem is seemingly straightforward: Lord Edgware Dies. Surprise!
Alaina
Okay, so when you read a book within the Hercule Poirot Series you know you're going to get one thing and one thing only: a mysterious murder. However, the title of this book gives away who the victim is - Lord Edgware.

Now of course the person you're going to think killed him would be his wife because the women basically boasted that she was going to kill him and how she would do it. But when he died she had an alibi which obviously made me suspicious as fuck.

I feel like Agatha Christie loves t
Amr Mohamed
الصراحة الواحد مبقاش مستغرب من تغفيلة أجاثا كل مرة بتبعتنا في حته والقاتل في رواية تانية اساسا
لكن المرة ده اه طبعا نفس التغفيلة لكن حبكة النهاية فيها غلطة
انا مش هحرق الرواية لاصدقائي
لكن فيه دليل مهم جدا بيكشف القاتل فيه غلطة واضحة

عرفت تعبك وبهدلتك يا عبد الرحمن لما تعصر دماغك علي القاتل وتطلع اجاثا اصيع بردو :)
Tim
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“And the same evening – the very same evening – Lord Edgware dies. Good title that, by the way. Lord Edgware Dies. Look well on a bookstall.”

I get the impression Christie had a lot of fun with this one. It is a very plot twist heavy book, with every couple of chapters presenting a new clue or red herring that changes your perception of events. I’m rather pleased to say I solved this one, but figuring out who did it did not hurt it in the slightest. This is one of those mystery novels where I del
Laurel Young
Feb 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely classic Christie--this is the sort of novel that makes her reputation as Queen of Crime so richly deserved. I'd read it before and STILL got tangled in the red herrings and double, no triple, twists to the point that I questioned whether I had mis-remembered the solution. Poirot is at his best, and so is Hastings--we have to remember that Hastings, without meaning to be, is not a reliable narrator. He puts his own pedestrian spin on things: a suspect says something crucial, and Hastin ...more
Georgia
Review to come.
Wasee
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
গোয়েনদা এরকুল পোয়ারোর কাছে সবামীর কাছ থেকে মুকতি পাবার জনযে সাহাযয চেয়েছিলেন বিখযাত অভিনেতরী জেন উইলকিনসন। তার ঠিক পরদিনই খুন হলেন তাঁর সবামী লরড এজওয়যার। লাইবরেরিতে পাওয়া গেল লাশ। ঘাড়ের পেছনে ছুরি
মেরে খুন করা হয়েছে তাঁকে। সবাভাবিকভাবেই সনদেহ গিয়ে পড়ে জেন উইলকিনসনের ওপর। কিনতু লরড এজওয়যার যখন খুন হন, তখন একদল মানুষের সঙগে ডিনার করছিলেন জেন উইলকিনসন।
তা ছাড়া খুনের দিন সকালেই পোয়ারোর মাধযমে জানতে পেরেছেন তিনি: বিবাহ-বিচছেদে লরডের কোনও আপততি নেই।
খুনটা তা হলে করল কে? কেন? কেসের কোনও কূল-কিনারা পাচছে
mark monday
Choose Your Own Adventure!

You are Lord Edgeware, and Murder Has Come to Dinner.

On the menu:

SNAIL PORRIDGE
o Jabugo Ham, Shaved Fennel

ROAST FOIE GRAS
o Rhubarb, Braised Konbu and Crab Biscuit

MOCK TURTLE SOUP (c.1850)
o "Mad Hatter Tea"

"SOUND OF THE SEA"

SALMON POACHED IN A LIQUORICE GEL
o Articho
Dina
Vikas Singh
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great piece of crime writing and deduction from the "queen of crime writing". As with most of her novels, even though you are aware that you are intentionally being led on the wrong path, yet when the case is solved in the end you are left gaping at the sheer brilliance of the plot. A very engaging read
 (Lúa)
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me ha gustado muchisimo. Me encanta la manera de escribir de Agatha y como lleva a cabo toda la trama. Es genial :)

Me tengo que ir haciendo con la colección poco a poco!
Karen ⊰✿
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uno_2018
Great mystery, and the usual Christie convoluted plot which has you guessing right until the end.
Janete
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in Portuguese in just one sitting, as usual for me when the book is a suspense. I found this book spectacular. I suspected who was the killer from the beginning, but it was too obvious. So I discarded this person from the list of the killers.
Deborah Ideiosepius
This is one of the early Agatha Christie books, written in the 1930's it is also an early Poirot novel in which the bumbling, very British, Captain Hastings is very much the Watson to Poirot's Holmes. It also features Inspector Japp of Scotland Yard and it is noticeable how little developed that character is compared to later books.

The plot is as given by the title; Lord Edgeware Dies, who killed him? There are a few possibilities all fortuitously known to Poirot and hence to us, the readers. Th
Anastasia ^^
Η Αγκαθα Κρίστι ποτέ δεν με απογοητεύει... το υποψιάστηκα μέχρι την μέση όμως μετά μου έριξε στάχτη στα μάτια. Έπρεπε να είχα πιστέψει την πρώτη μου υποψία. Εν πάση περιπτώσει, το δίαβασα μέσα σε ένα πρωινό δεν άλλαξα καν θέση.
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Also known as Mr. Edgegrave dies.

This one isn't as good as most of Christie's other books are, especially with Hercule Poirot as the detective, but it is readable. It is told through the narrative of Hastings, of whom I'm only a mild fan. He is a typical sidekick similar to Watkins, where he gets much wrong, but he doesn't have much about him that stands out.

Poirot and Hastings are brought together to an actress who fully admits she'd kill her husband, and seeks their help on getting a divorce s
Sketchbook
Dame Agatha likes to use disguise and/or bogus identity as a key plot device. Seeing a GR review, I took out my copy for a reread as I was reminded of a Sketchbook prank inspired by this whodunit. I'm not fond of big cocktailers, but sometimes one "has" to go. There I stood, bored to hell, not knowing anyone other than the hostess, and drinking too much champagne.

Oh, there's someone I know, the artist Neil Smithson (not real name). We fell into lite chatter. Soon we were interrupted by a young w
  • Unfinished Portrait
  • The Unexpected Guest
  • Singing in the Shrouds (Roderick Alleyn, #20)
  • The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey, #5)
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery #6)
  • The Ivory Dagger (Miss Silver, #18)
  • Brat Farrar
  • The Judas Window (Sir Henry Merrivale, #8)
  • Prisoner's Base (Nero Wolfe, #21)
  • He Who Whispers (Dr. Gideon Fell, #16)

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee: A Mystery Play in Three Acts (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
  • Three Act Tragedy (Hercule Poirot, #11)
“Do you know my friend that each one of us is a dark mystery, a maze of conflicting passions and desire and aptitudes?” 31 likes
“And so could you know it if you would only use the brains the good God has given you. Sometimes I really am tempted to believe that by inadvertence, He passed you by.” 27 likes