Start by marking “Valve: Handbook for New Employees” as Want to Read:
Valve: Handbook for New Employees

Valve: Handbook for New Employees

In 1996, we set out to make great games, but we knew back then that we had to first create a place that was designed to foster that greatness. A place where incredibly talented individuals are empowered to put their best work into the hands of millions of people, with very little in their way.

This book is an abbreviated encapsulation of our guiding principles. As Valve con
ebook, First edition, 72 pages
Published March 2012 by Valve Press

To ask other readers questions about Valve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valve

Thomas
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Here's the thing: this is not a book, in the normal sense, but it should be studied carefully, nonetheless. This is, from what has been suggested around the internet, the basic guide that's given to new hires at Valve, a well established and successful entertainment (i.e., games) software company (though, they are apparently about to break out of just being a software company). It describes the somewhat unique structure Valve uses for its company hierarchy, direction and community. I won't give ...more
Vova Mihura
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's not a book in a normal sense but a parallel reality for a white collar.
Robson Castilho
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
It's not a real book afterall. It's a guide Valve has made to new employees to help them know some key values and its organizational structure.

It shows a very fascinating mode of running a company (some people may think it's impracticable).
A must-read for everyone who wants to make the difference!
Kaila
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the internet. This is an employee handbook and it has over 20 reviews (in 2017, when I wrote this). That is so amazing. Thank you, the internet, you brightened my day.
Christian Jespersen
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It seems so obvious, yet the thinking of this book, is rarely seen.

Employees are a company's most valuable asset, and also has the highest potential of adding more value to the company, it the company invests and nourish their employees.

An employee should do what gives most value to the company, not necessarily what is on their to do list.

If you work somewhere and you find yourself working with tasks you don't feel is what you can do best, the company you work at, is blocking you from working
Michael Scott
Valve's Handbook for New Employees is a wonderful company work statement in an extremely competitive industry (computers, software design and engineering, entertainment software, computer and video games). Valve is a leader of the PC gaming industry, with its own excellent games (Half-Life, Portal), great support for modders (Counter-Strike) and the indie community, and innovations in the gaming industry as a whole (esp. distribution channels such as Steam for PC games). With this booklet, Valve ...more
Adam
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating corporate organizational structure.
Maurício Gardini
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is not a book, but a guide to new employees (As its name states). It shows that Valve has quite a peculiar and interesting corporate organizational structure.
Elwirka
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Suprising attitude to employee policy, that even works in that large company. Short lecture that broads one's horizons.
Tadeas Petak
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations, amazingly written. My favourite titbits:

- Your desk has wheels — you vote on projects by using those wheels, i.e. join what you will.
- 'Don’t believe that anyone holds authority over the decision you’re trying to make. They don’t; but they probably have valuable experience to draw from, or infor-mation/data that you don’t have, or insight that’s new. When considering the outcome, don’t believe that anyone but you is the “stakeholder”. You’re it.'
- 'We’ve found it vitally
Howl
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best employee manual ever. Every HR group should seriously take a good look at how Valve was able to simplify things and get rid of the white elephant in employee engagement.
Ibnu Triyono
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book will show you how valve work. It might surprise you.
Stefka Koseva
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book and really well explained pro and cons of the company culture. I'd used it for example for making similar one for the company I am working for. It is useful not only for Valve's employees, but also for future start up founders.
Penney
Great concepts. Wheels to move - not just for the sake of moving but to co-locate with those you're teaming with (versus the isolation and loneliness I'm hearing some people are experiencing with my workplaces new age workspaces). Being in a constant state of choosing what you work on (which includes asking yourself where you can bring the most value to the customer and telling people who you are, what you do and what you care about) or recruiting others to work on your bright idea. Like it.
Tamas Kalman
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Too good to be true - truly Utopian, except it's real. I hope this flat model will spread out and replacing the old fashioned, super inefficient and miserable post-feudal-industrial corporate hierarchies worldwide. I'd highly recommend to read this book with The New KingMakers. The New Kingmakers
Suraj
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Stumbled upon this very randomly and even though the book is meant for new employees of Valve, it's a good read for anyone who has been playing games by Valve. I have been a fan since Half Life till DOTA 2 and it was nice to know how they do what they do inside Valve. The book is a fun out-take rather than being a word-to-word manual. A good read for any Valve fan.
Olha
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: n_non-fiction
I've read it few years ago and remember very little. But key concept is fabulous: be "T"-shaper! Valve encourages (or expects of?) their employees to be very good in one area and also have good understanding in variety of other things. This background helps when perceiving and generating ideas, and individual can make company's culture richer.
Kaan Akşit
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A booklet about how a dream co pany is governed. The things written in this book might seem very irrational. But with an all stars team, a company using the rules in this book would end up in a great efficiency.
Rey Hernández Sedelmeier
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quick introduction to Valve's culture. This quick read will show you a very different way of managing a company, or I would say how a company manages itself. Useful read for people seeking to improve their company culture or wanting to explore new ways of managing a company.
André Gomes
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Indeed it is a very different way of running a company. Very Interesting.
Vitalik Zasadnyy
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read this book if you're looking for fresh ideas on team organization structure
Jia Yuan
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
IMHO, it feels like Sun Tzu Art of War for Game Industry Employees/Dummy Companies...

You can actually get the book for free in Internet too!
Cyber Killer
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book describes quite nicely what a dream job for many software engineers and other IT folk (like myself) would be.
Vladimir Chupakhin
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
amazing book about how anarcho-syndicalism can work! )
without jokes, this is the book every software developer should read!
Jason
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Interesting way to run a company, a little witty too. Makes me want to work at a place like this.
Arturo Herrero
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Gamers at Work: Stories Behind the Games People Play
  • The Making of Karateka
  • Learn to Program
  • Learn to Play Go: A Master's Guide to the Ultimate Game (Learn to Play Go, #1)
  • Critical Play: Radical Game Design
  • How Toyota Became #1: Leadership Lessons from the World's Greatest Car Company
  • Project Retrospectives
  • The Case Study Handbook: How to Read, Discuss, and Write Persuasively About Cases
  • Large-Scale Scrum: Scaling Agile for Large & Multisite Development
  • The Innovation Algorithm: Triz, Systematic Innovation and Technical Creativity
  • Developing Products in Half the Time: New Rules, New Tools
  • Spelunky (Boss Fight Books, #11)
  • Driving Technical Change
  • The Talent Masters: Why Smart Leaders Put People Before Numbers
  • The Systems View of the World: A Holistic Vision for Our Time
  • This Gaming Life: Travels in Three Cities
  • The Way of the Moving Horse (Learn to Play Go, #2)
  • Mastering Digital SLR Photography

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »